Subject: Re: capillary dynamolysis

From: Steve Diver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 10:37:09 -0600

CAPILLARY DYNAMOLSIS:

Capillary dynamolysis is the "ascending" style of paper 
chromatography. 

The best source for capillary dynamolysis is probably the Kolisko's 
book, "Agriculture of Tomorrow."  It has many images of capillary 
dynamolysis, both black and white as well as colour plates.  Lily and 
Eugene Kolisko engaged in very exacting and detailed research.  

It contains research reports from 16 years of field and laboratory 
work conducted by the German researchers Eugene and Lilly 
Kolisko.  Research detailed in the book includes:  the moon and plant 
growth; the forces of crystallization in nature; planetary influences 
on plants; homeopathy in agriculture; experiments with animals to 
study the influence of homeopathic quantities; capillary dynamolysis; 
research  on the biodynamic preparations.  

Kolisko, E. and L.  1978.  Agriculture of Tomorrow, 2nd Edition.
Kolisko Archive Publications, Bournemouth, England.  322 p.

Josephine Porter Institute for Applied Biodynamics is the place
where you "might" find a copy for sale.  It would also have
other supporting literature and research.  Otherwise, you can 
get a copy through Inter-Library Loan.  

Josephine Porter Institute for Applied Biodynamics
P.O. Box 133
Woolwine, VA  24185-0133
540-930-2463

CIRCULAR CHROMATAGRAPHY

Circular chromatography is the "radial" style of paper chromataphy. 
It is also known more commonly as the chroma test.  This is
probably the better known qualitative test, popularized by 
Ehrenfriend Pfeiffer, offered for years at Woods End soil lab but 
discontinued, and brought back to wider recognition more recently as 
part of the Luebke soil and compost testing system.   George 
Leidig of Autrusa Composting in Pennsylvania sells chroma test 
kits to farmers and composters.  I heard a comment one time that 
Margaret Selk at the Pfeiffer Lab in New York ran over 25,000 
chroma tests in her lifetime.  

Dr. William Brinton, founder of Woods End Agricultural Institute,
wrote an authoritative scientific description and explanation of this 
test in: 

William, Brinton F. Jr.  1983.  A qualitative method for assessing 
humus condition.  p. 382-393.  In: Dietrich Knorr (ed.)  Sustainable 
Food Systems.  AVI Pub. Co., Westport, Conn.  416 p.

Then there is Pfeiffer's booklet: 

Chromatography Applied to Quality Testing is 44-page booklet by Dr.
Ehrenfried Pfeiffer on the paper chromatography method.   
Pfeiffer made extensive use of the chroma test in his research at 
the Pfeiffer Foundation in Spring Valley, New York. Included are 
laboratory standards for preparation and extractions of samples.  
The book contains color plates and descriptive entries for chroma 
tests performed on different samples of soil, compost, and grain. 
It lists for $8 through Biodynamic Farming & Gardening 
Association (BDFGA) in San Francisco, California . 

Also see: 

Knorr, Dietrich, and Hartmut Vogtmann.  1983.  Quality and quality
determination of ecologically grown foods.  p. 352-381.  In: Knorr, 
Dietrich (ed.)      Sustainable Food Systems. The AVI Publishing Co., 
Westport, CT. 

Knorr, Dietrich.  1982.  Use of a circular chromatographic     
method for the distinction of collard plants grown under     
different fertilizing conditions.  Biological Agriculture and     
Horticulture.  Vol. 1.  p. 29-38. 

By the way, Biological Agriculture and Horticulture has
table of contents on the web now.  In the literature of
organic agriculture and sustainable farming systems, this 
journal is a goldmine: 

Biological Agriculture and Horticulture:
http://www.nes.coventry.ac.uk/bah/index.htm

SENSITIVE CRYSTALLIZATION:

Sensitive crystallization, or copper chloride crystallization,
is mentioned on the Danish page.  It is a third test.

See: 

Sensitive Crystallization: A Demonstration of Formative Forces in
the Blood is a 59-page booklet by Dr. Ehrenfried Pfeiffer. 
Pfeiffer developed the sensitive crystallization technique in the
early 1930s.  In 1939 he was awarded an honorary M.D. from
Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia in recognition of his
research on the early diagnosis of cancer using this method.  The
sensitive crystallization technique can also be used in the
analysis of plants, produce, grain, and fodder.  It lists for $16
through BFDGA.  Contact: 

Biodynamic Farming and Gardening Association, Inc 
Building 1002B, Thoreau Center, The Presidio 
P.O. Box 29135 
San Francisco, CA  94129-0135 
415-561-7797 
415-561-7796 Fax 
[email-masked] 
http://www.biodynamics.com

Also: 

Knorr, Dietrich, and Hartmut Vogtmann.  1983.  Quality and quality
determination of ecologically grown foods.  p. 352-381.  In: Knorr,
Dietrich (ed.) Sustainable Food Systems. The AVI Publishing Co.,
Westport, CT. 

The old issues of Biodynamics journal are another source on these
methods.    

>From my experience, what is needed is an image library for the paper 
chromatagraphy tests.  The images would be labeled and used like 
image-calibration standards for what can be expected of certain 
quality soils and composts.     

Finally, there is one really good book on chromas and how they can 
be used in association with humus management, but it is in German.  
It has a whole chapter on the chroma test with images and text on how 
to interpret them.  

Voitl, Helmut and Elisabeth Guggenberer.  1986.  Der 
Chroma Boden Test:  [Die Bodenqualitat bestimmen, bewerten
und verbessern Ein unentbehrlicher Ratgeber fur Landwirte,
Berufs-un Hobbygartner].  Verlag Orac, Wien.  181 p.

Steve Diver 

Joel Gruver wrote: 
> A few years ago, I briefly investigated (literature review and some wet lab
> experimentation) the paper chromatography approach to soil quality
> evaluation that was used by E. Pfeiffer. While the results were intriguing,
> the patterns that developed did not appear to be repeatable and I moved on
> to other soil quality analysis methods.
> 
> Just this morning, I learned that the technical term for this
> chromatography approach is "capillary dynamolysis" and that some Danish
> scientists are attempting to use it to investigate crop quality:crop
> management relationships. 
> 
> See the following web site:
> http://www.matfys.kvl.dk/biophys/biophys.html

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail