Subject: liability issues in computer renderings

From: Rachel Berney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 00:06:23 -0700

Hi.  I was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to whether the use of 
computer-generated renderings, animations, etc.  expose a designer to 
greater risk of liability.  For example, if you walk a client through a 
design via animation which produces a certain experience, are you 
responsible for replicating that exact experience in the final built 
design. I'm collecting information for a law paper.

If you care to respond, my name is Rachel Berney, my address is 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (JoeVance)
Date: 29 May 1995 19:26:37 -0400

design. I'm collecting information for a law paper.<<

I cannot imagine how it could... How can you quantify for a jury the
difference in the two experiences?  Owner/architect contracts say nothing
about the architect having a responsibility to accurately convey the
experience of inhabiting the finished space to the owner prior to
construction.  From my experience, computer generated perspectives and
animations have helped TREMENDOUSLY in making the owner feel more at ease
with what they are getting.  To be certain, the imagry we have available
now goes infinately farther than the small scale models we used to use. 
Now, if you want to talk about issues of computers and liability in the
A/E world, look into the electronic transfer of information between the
parties.  THAT is where liability rears its ugly head.  As more an more
firms utilize 3D programs with integrated databases, it is only a matter
of time before clients/owners start insisting the architect provide those
electronic files to me contractors for bidding... THEN you have a
Pandora's Box.  What if someone in the office mistakenly tagged half of
the footings as some material other than concrete?  The database will then
produce erroneous information that may only be discovered after the
project is under construction. The Architect is liable to be expected to
pay for the additional concrete not included in the building cost due to
his/her error.

This is a fairly straight forward example.  There is a LENGHTY list being
discussed by groups around the country.

Joe Vance