Subject: Re: Environmental house design

From: "Dan Hacker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 23:11:55 -0700

> [email-masked] (Neil Kitchen) wrote in article
<[email-masked]>...
> I would like any info on designing and building an environmental house:
using innovative environmentally friendly design and materiails.

theres a system called the otw2001 building system.... its uses steel
framing with a special concrete block that is inserted between the
studs... The block is made out of concrete, fiberglass strands and fly ash
(which is the bi product of electrical plants)... the blocks are extremely
light and extremely energy efficient not to mention fire proof, sound
proof and rodent proof... the entire house is basically recyclable and the
finish product looks no different then a wood constructed house.  The cost
of building is comparable to wood framing...

Habitat for humanity has built several of these house in southern
California... and my father has built a few himself (including a 3 story
house he has up in Seattle area)... to show the energy efficiency, my
father built a house in palm springs, California... its around 1300 sq.
ft.  in the middle of summer where temps get around 115 deg.  in a normal
house the air conditioning bill for the month runs around $200-$300
depending on well your house is insulated, my father prototype house
(which he uses for a rental now) a.c. bill runs around $80 for the same
month... big difference huh...  

the last I heard, there making a jig to pour entire wall sections and the
tilt them up, and lock em place.. which will make building an house even
easier...

My father just got back from Thailand, and they have decided to build a
plant over there and have already pre-sold 50 houses using this system...

Australia is another area who is building with this system...

being that were running out of wood on this planet, I think this (and
other metal building systems) will be the wave of the future...

---

From: [email-masked] (Sherman, Michael E. - Fiddlin' round.)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 19:48:08 GMT

I would recomend the book:
'Greenhome: planning and building the environmentally advanced house'' 
by Wayne Grady, Camden House, 1993.  

They did very extensive research into the environmental friendlyness of 
_every_ material used.

-Mike

---
Michael E. Sherman  <[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (Sherman, Michael E. - Fiddlin' round.)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 20:07:06 GMT

as I said, look at this book:
'Greenhome: planning and building the environmentally advanced house'' 
by Wayne Grady, Camden House, 1993.  

What I forgot to mention is that there is a web page about the greenhome
project done by Art Mulder.  Take a look at:

<a href="http://www.ualberta.ca/~amulder/house/">

---

---

From: [email-masked] (Longrain)
Date: 11 Jun 1996 20:04:41 -0400

Check out "THE NATURAL HOUSE BOOK" by David Pearson.

Aran Kaufer

---

From: [email-masked] (Norbert Senf)
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 16:26:18 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jun 96 00:03:28 GMT, [email-masked] (Neil Kitchen)
wrote:

>I would like any info on designing and building an environmental house: using innovative environmentally friendly design and materiails.

There's a list of links on our site related to sustainable
construction that may be a place to start:
http://mha-net.org/msb/html/msblinks.htm

Best................NS
--------------------------------------------------------
Norbert Senf			email 	[email-masked]
Masonry Stove Builders		fax 	819 647 6082
RR 5 Shawville Quebec J0X 2Y0	voice 	819 647 5092
--------------------------------------------------------
   Visit our website at http://mha-net.org/msb