Subject: Re: Monolithic concrete domes

From: [email-masked] (Kent Polk)
Date: 20 Mar 1996 15:11:53 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked](Joe Hindorff) writes:
>  
> I toured XANADU, a monolithic dome demonstration house near Sedona, AZ this
> weekend.  The outer "skin" appeared to have sagged, showing severe wrinkles
> on the outer surface.  The owner told me that this was because the
> sub-conractor had sprayed on gypsum plaster rather than using some kind of
> spray-on stucco.  He is currently trying to get it re-done.   

Are you sure the 'spray-on' stucco wasn't some sort of Gunite? If it
really was stucco, I'd *really* like to hear more about it. What type
of equipment is required and what are the relative costs?  How easy
is it to spray on?

> Another employee there told me that the external stucco should be replaced
> every 5 years.  I don't understand that, but I forgot to ask the owner
> about it while I was talking to him.  If you find out about this, I would
> appreciate knowing. 

Again, doesn't sound like stucco, but it certainly doesn't sound like
Gunite either.

-- 
Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (will disavow any knowledge of me)
Internet : [email-masked]
(DoF #)  : Official DoF Squid Motto: "Ride Hard/Crash Gently"

---

From: [email-masked](Joe Hindorff)
Date: 22 Mar 1996 14:09:41 GMT

>Are you sure the 'spray-on' stucco wasn't some sort of Gunite? If it
really was  
>stucco, I'd *really* like to hear more about it. What type of equipment is
 
>required and what are the relative costs?  How easy is it to spray on? 

Gunite is sprayed on the inside (3" inside of 3" of polyurethane). 
Something different was used on the outside.  Sorry I wasn't more
inquisitive.  I'll try to getback up there and find out what it is that
they use. 

>Again, doesn't sound like stucco, but it certainly doesn't sound like
Gunite  
>either.