Subject: The Original Finnish Sauna

From: [email-masked] (J and C Keinanen)
Date: 13 Apr 1996 18:39:34 GMT

Yeah Hello there.

 I was wondering whether any of you fellas desing the finnish sauna into 
the houses? I am talking about Sauna. Not some freaky infrared tent or 
sommin. There is only one sauna. ANd if it is not built correctly or used 
properly it just isnt sauna. What I have noticed here in the US that 
everybody(except Finns) prohibit throwing water on the rocks. well thats 
why the rocks are there. And it is not sauna without the water. A sauna 
is a unique place. The only place in the world that presents both damp 
and dry air at the same time. If watering is prohibited, the room is no 
longer a sauna, it is a mere heated room, a roman bath. The sauna has 
been in finland for over 2000 years, and it has always played a important 
part in finnish history and culture. So well... yeah i was wondering if 
there is someone who is desinging saunas. I am in a community college 
trying to work my way towards AA in Arc., and working as a framer, and 
ive really been trying to get a chance to build some real saunas.
A sauna is also very easy to install to a old house. You have prefab and 
precut packages for custom measures. One can also have a sauna built 
straight from the stock, which is the way I prefer. The choice of lumber 
is also critical. At the gym where I go, they built the benches from 
redwood(bad bad) and boxed them and built them nonremovable. And even 
drove normal nails from top. Now the benches are all stained from not 
getting washed, and the nails have started to bleed. well anyway, if you 
want some more information about saunas please contact me. I might be in 
help. I am just trying to improve the image of the real sauna and 
introduce it to new people.

 RAVEN

---

From: "Jon Hobbs, MRAIC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:18:42 -0700

> introduce it to new people.

I have been involved in the design of several saunas. You cannot truly 
experience a sauna in a gym or sports facility. You must build a real 
sauna next to a cold northern lake-- the plunge into the icy water is the 
best part of a sauna!!. Another great experience is rolling in the snow 
after a sauna or diving through the ice. You place too much concern for 
the finishes inside the sauna. The size, seating and especially the 
"stove" are critical. The best stove is a wood-fired stove whcih is 
loaded from the exterior. Most of these stoves have indirect flues which 
circulate the heat around the rocks. 

There is a large finnish community in northern Ontario which has 
transplanted this tradition to Canada. There is also an expensive 
coffee-table book on Saunas illustrating many great ones.

Jon Hobbs

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Hirst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 00:22:54 -0500

My mother is from Finland and I've grown up with a 
real Sauna (not a saw-naw).  In the west, we've 
used quaking aspen, with no finish.  So far, the 
wood has lasted very well, no pitch, not too hot.  
Works great.  The biggest question I've got is 
where can I get a decent sauna stove?  Do I have to 
import them, or are there good sources in the US?

[email-masked]

-- the Insitute for Suburban Studies ---
http://corbu.wustl.edu/hirsp1/www/iss/isshome.htm

---

From: "Jon Hobbs, MRAIC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:36:33 -0700

Paul Hirst wrote:
> http://corbu.wustl.edu/hirsp1/www/iss/isshome.htmre: Sauna Stoves

I am not sure where you might access wood-burning sauna stoves in the 
U.S. but there are a couple of companies in eastern Canada which import 
stoves from Finland.( Try the Toronto or Thunder Bay telephone 
directories) I generally use a custom-built stove made of steel plate 
which was designed by my father who is a metallurgical engineer. The 
stove is heavy and large but works well, stands up for many years and 
will heat up a sauna efficiently with little wood in a short time. The 
critical concerns are providing for ash removal, an adjustable draft, 
circulation of flue gases around the rocks and durability to ensure that 
the stove which is "loaded" with with rocks on top can withstand constant 
firing. 

I have been in saunas finished with cedar, painted plywood, pine, logs, 
etc. and most are acceptable if clean, and the temperature is correct.

There is an excellent article in "Cottage Life" magazine, entitled "Hot 
Ideas" which describes a "floating sauna".

Nothing is better for the health than a sauna!!

Jon Hobbs, MRAIC

---

From: [email-masked] (M J Epko)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 00:25:40 GMT

>> import them, or are there good sources in the US?

	Try	Finn-Sisu
		1841 University Ave W
		St Paul   MN     55104

		(612) 645-2443