Subject: Keeping Cool

From: [email-masked](Joe Hindorff)
Date: 8 Jun 1996 17:50:41 GMT

Because I live in Phoenix, my challenge is just the opposite of most folks.
 Most are trying to keep warm in the winter.  No problem here.  But try to
stay cool in the summer.  That is another issue. 
 
I've been working on an idea.  Actually, I have plans, I am obtaining
permits, and hope to soon be in construction.  Please give me your
criticism, questions, and feedback on this. 
 
The house will be 2100 sq. ft., look like a Santa Fe, but constructed with
tire walls as in Michael Reynolds' Earthships.  Three internal tire walls
will be utilized to preserve the 25' U concept.  Other internal walls will
be conventional construction.  The external surface of the tire walls will
be insulated and  covered with a thermal barrier.  Roof will be flat, R-30
insulation.  The house contains 900 sq. ft. of glass(Hurd sunbelter 66). 
None of the windows face south.  Each room will have a skylight atop a
solar chimney.  The skylight will be operable for ventilation. 
 
A ventilation system will be built into the floor.  The air in the ducts
will be tempered by water pipes used for radiant floor heating.  I expect
the air coming from the ducts in the summer to be 60 to 65 degrees. 
 
Engineers that I have talked to are not in agreement as to whether I will
need an air conditioner.  I'd be interested in your opinions. 
 
Thanks 
-- 
 
Joe  
 
"All anger is fear, and all fear is fear of loss" 
                                        Richard Bach