Subject: Re: putting on an addition

From: [email-masked] (DClarkfive)
Date: 4 Mar 1996 00:41:44 -0500

Mark & Kathy,

You might start by checking your deed restrictions and your division
covents (aka cc&r's), if applicable.  (Should be in your closing papers). 
  Typically, in a subdivision, the deed restrictions would never allow a
mobile home on your parcel.  If you're in a nice subdivision, your cc&r's
would not allow a modular, (aka  pre-manufactured) house or addition. 

If those check out, I would call the applicable City or County planning
dept. Typically, a mobile home is regulated and would not likely be
allowed, except in specific zoning.  A pre-mfg home would be allowed,
however.  

(unless you have 3/4+ acres, then all of the above advice is unlikely to
apply, and you are free to do as you wish)

Good Luck.

Dave Clark, AIA
Seattle

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Mar 1996 17:58:25 -0800

Kathy,
     First you need to look into your local building codes and see if it will
be allowed.  Also talk to your insurance company to see what they think of 
putting a mobile home (ie:firetrap) next to your framed house.  I wouldn't 
recommend it!  Often the cost of getting a pre-fab and installing it will 
equal the cost of building stick built, without the quality but it depends
on the manufacturer.  Best advice...get competative bids from other builders
you may not have the best or correct figures yet.  Next, shop out fixtures 
and look at alternative building methods, or consider being your own builder, 
but be careful here.  Feel free to write me I am a builder and will be glad
to help you along.  Good luck.

>We would like to put an addition onto our home, but the work is projected 
>at $40,000. I believe it would be cheaper to get a small pre-fab home or 
>mobile home and attach it to our excisting house. Is this something that 
>is do-able or am I just grasping at a dream?
>
>kathy
>
>--
>------------------------------------------------
>Name:      Kathy K. Wilson 
>Internet:  [email-masked]
>--
>No longer a novice...                Before you can learn to be free, 
>but still frustrated!                You need to be free to learn!