Subject: DOME BOOK REVIEW

From: [email-masked] (JustWINK)
Date: 18 Sep 1996 05:02:47 -0400

DEMONSTRATED AND  EXPLAINED: A review of Borin Van Loon's GEODESIC DOMES

As what may be the most contemporary book on geodesic domes, Borin Van
Loon's GEODESIC DOMES is a welcome addition to the short list of books on
the subject.  Intended as a hands-on introduction to the subject, this
very attractive and reasonably priced paperback includes one of the more
concise and compact explanations of the fundamentals of Bucky's geodesics
to be found in print.  Beginning with the Platonic polyhedra, and
proceeding through basic spherical trigonometry, the standard breakdowns
are elegantly presented, along with chord factors for some simple cases. 
The great drawback of a book of this nature is the requirement to destroy
the integrity of the book itself in order to enjoy the models.  No doubt
many will choose to photocopy the patterns (I would suggest card stock). 
Those who do use the original pages will benefit from the printed labels
on the backside and will enjoy the color that some of the models utilize. 
Models A and B, each consisting of a polyhedral "core" and 4 different
modules that rest on one face, are demonstrative in nature, showing the
relation of various breakdowns and frequency's to the icosahedron and the
octahedron.  Model C is a "geodesic rotunda" consisting of a 3V dome
setting atop a vertical wall or prism.  Model D, described as a faceted
hemisphere is a dome of the pattern of the Epcot sphere, a concave
treatment of the triacon breakdown.  Model E is a 2V alternate sphere
(essentially a pentakis dodecahedron, one of the uniform or Archimedean
polyhedra) with a "cupola" and prism base.  The final model is of the
buckyball, or buckminsterfullerene.  A brief explanation of this recently
discovered form of carbon accompanies the model.
While some dome enthusiasts will question some of the authors comments
about domes in the real world and knowledgeable readers will thirst for
more bulk, this attractive and intelligent book is such a good value that
you just might want to buy 2 copies so you can both have the book and play
with the models.

GEODESIC DOMES Demonstrated and  explained with cut-out models 
by Borin Van Loon
1994
ISBN  0 906212 92 8
Tarquin Publications, Norfolk, England
U.S. Price: $12.95  (or so)

------------
Charles E. Peck  -  P.O.Box 47186  -  Wichita KS  -  67201
author:  A FUNDAMENTAL POLYHEDRA OF POLYHEDRA AND TESSELLATIONS