Subject: Re: Announcing the Earthship Concept

From: [email-masked] (John A. Stanley)
Date: 3 Nov 1995 12:25:51 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] wrote:
>Earthship Global Operations
>PO Box 2009
>El Prado, NM 87529
>(505) 751-0462 FAX: (505) 751-1005 E-Mail: [email-masked]
>
>ANNOUNCING THE EARTHSHIP CONCEPT
>
>The Earthship is a completely independent globally oriented
>dwelling unit made from materials that are indigenous to the
>entire planet.  The major structural building component of the
>Earthship is recycled automobile tires filled with compacted
>earth to form a rammed earth brick encased in steel belted
>rubber.

Since when are tires indigenous to the planet? Have scientists
discovered beds of fossilized Goodyears?

-- 
John A. Stanley                      [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Nov 1995 16:35:02 GMT

The Earthship is a completely independent  globally oriented dwelling unit made from materials that are indigenous to the entire 
planet.  The major structural building component of the Earthship is recycled automobile tires filled with compacted earth to form a 
rammed earth brick encased in steel belted rubber.  This brick and the resulting bearing walls it forms is virtually indestructible.    
The three foot thick massive walls and the method of incorporating them into the earth create living spaces that retain a constant 
temperature.  Thus, with natural ventilation systems built in, an Earthship home will heat itself in the winter and cool itself in the 
summer without the use of centralized fossil or nuclear fuels.

The techniques of building these homes is being presented and developed in a way that will allow home owners to participate in 
and sometimes completely build their own home with materials that are free by-products of our existing society.   These homes 
have been designed and developed with an emphasis on global availability of all aspects of their construction.  They exist now in 
Bolivia, Australia, Mexico, Japan, Canada, and all over the USA.

Another very significant aspect of these Earthship homes is that they produce their own electricity with a pre-packaged 
photovoltaic power system, collect their own water from a unique metal roof and silt catch system and deal with their own sewage 
through food producing greenhouse technology and dry solar toilets. These homes are absolutely independent, can be built in any 
climate and are competitively priced with conventional housing that requires all the usual centralized utility systems.

The Earthship is the only globally appropriate, environmentally sensitive, trademarked fully independent home capable of 
functioning in any climate available in the world today.   Designs and components have been pre-packaged for easy assembly in 
any remote or urban area of the globe.  The Earthship concept will have a universal positive effect  on the environment, energy, 
housing, employment  and the over all quality of life on this planet.

---

From: [email-masked] (John A. Stanley)
Date: 6 Nov 1995 04:56:01 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Alan Hayne) wrote:
>
>
> Don't knock a good idea to help rid a growing enviromental problem
> At least rubber is a natural product emanating from trees.

Tires are made from petroleum based rubber.