Subject: ALTERNATIVE/APPROPRIATE TECHNOLOGY

From: Ian Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 10:34:38 +0100

In connection with a project in which I am involved in the UK, can
anybody recommend a site that deals with up-to-date methods/practice for
the solar heating of domestic buildings?

Thanks

Ian Robinson
I. D. Robinson Architects: London
Architects and Urban Designers
[email-masked]

---

From: Wirral Energy Advice Centre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 17:36:51 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, Ian Robinson
<[email-masked]> writes

-- 
The newsgroup alt.solar.thermal concentrates on active solar water heating.
However both at that site and in the outside world, I find a lack a good quality
research, in the UK, apart from testing of the collectors for instantaneous
performance by Cardiff University. Even then some results are not necessarily
made public. Government information from ETSU Harwell mostly covers market
penetration whilst the applicable BS is a little out-of-date. The Trade
Association offers mainly promotional assistance.Better research can be had
through European sources such as CADDET renewables. In do have a list of
interesting sites relevant to general active solar but in context of the above,
I will resist from typing out lots of http sites.
The good news is solar water heating is my speciality, both in design and
installation, and I am happy to discuss the latest developments. 
I consider the method of intergration and pattern of use of solar heat far more
critical than the type of collector. Pipework design, flow rates, pump cycling,
low temperature heat transfer and store stratification are where the real
advances lie. Collector manufacturers tend to not offer all the options ( if any
) in these areas.

Chris Laughton
The Solar Design Company
Wirral
England