Subject: Vortex effect for energy transfer.

From: [email-masked] (Nick Pine)
Date: 24 Sep 1996 08:31:51 -0400

Reposting for Valerie...

Dear collegues,

I have been lurking in this newsgroup for about one year. I was hoping to find
somebody who has some experience on the Vortex (or Ranque) effect, but
I cannot. I have attached my Singapore conference paper abstract for those
who may be interested in it, and if anybody is interested, I would like to
discuss this phenomenon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

                     Low pressure vortex pipe.

     Several authors have studied high-efficiency vortex devices. Self-vacuum
type vortex pipes are much more effective (3 times) than conventional
machines.  The use of conventional vortex pipes is limited in engineering
applications because of low thermodynamic efficiency.  The separation of
gaseous condensate, separation of liquified air, etc. are typical examples. 

No study of vortex pipes used as heaters has appeared in the literature.
Some technological studies on heat generation using new techniques and heat
transformation devices must be undertaken to meet the energy requirements
of societies.  For this reason, some devices such as vapor-compression and
absorption heat pumps are considered. In this study, a new vortex air heater
which used higher flow rates provided higher heat production rate than those
obtained by conventional heat pump devices. As a new technique in this system
a fan was installed in the cavity of the vortex pipe and created a rotative
flow (without using a compressor).  This vortex flow obtained by the fan
provided warm and cold flows, based on the Ranque effect. This device
increased the air temperature between 6-10C. Its experimental heating factor
was determined to be 6.93. The experimental results show that the development
of large-scale vortex heat pipes as heat pumping devices is possible. 

Calculations indicate that the use of flow rates over 7000 cm/h provides a
COP over 20.  Improving the geometry of these devices will increase the
efficiency and heating factor.

Sincerely yours,

--- 
Valerie I. Kotelnikov                   Tuvinian Complex Institute,
academic secretary                      667007, Russia, Republic of
phone 7 394 2236355                     Tuva, Kyzyl, International st.,117a,
fax   7 394 2236555                     e-mail [email-masked]

---

From: Chuck Penson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 16:16:39 -0600

Nick Pine wrote:

<SNIP>

> No study of vortex pipes used as heaters has appeared in the literature.

<SNIP>

> was determined to be 6.93.

<SNIP>

My only experience with anything like this was with a commercially made 
elecrtonics cooling device. I do not remember the brand name, but I 
think they are called vortex coolers. I have also heard of them refered 
to as "Hilsch" (sp?) tubes. 

These tubes are able to seperate warm and cold molecules of air through 
a process I confess I do not understand. They work very well but require 
_large_ quantities of air (20 CFM) at high pressure (100 PSI) to 
operate. We connected one (a very small gizmo) to our central compressed 
air system. Air streaming from the end of the device was cold enough to 
cause frost to develop around the nozzel. Air from the port on the side 
was hot enough to burn your hand. I discovered this the hard way. 

We toyed with the idea of using these to cool large spaces but concluded 
they were not effecient enough to be practical. 

It is exciting to think that a low pressure/volume device might be 
possible.

-- 
Chuck Penson
Education Division
Science Museum of Minnesota

[email-masked]
612.221.4510 voice
612.224.5092 fax
http://comped.sci.mus.mn.us

Standard Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are etc. etc. ...

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true" -- Michael Faraday

---

From: [email-masked] (Valery I. Kotelnikov)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 96 15:42:06 +0800

>to as "Hilsch" (sp?) tubes.

Yes, it call Hilsch tubes, Vortex tubes and etc. Hilsch is first person
who studied it. It is a few company which manufactures vortex tubes.

>a process I confess I do not understand.

Nobody can explain this effect.:)

>They work very well but require
>operate.

Sure. But it is main goal my studies how we can decrease pressure and increase
productivity.

>We connected one (a very small gizmo) to our central compressed

Sure. The typical vortex tubes is low efficient for practic, but we needs
to continue our plays with for searching best system I think. Decreasing
of pressure increase the their efficiency, you may see it in my abstract.
It is experimentally determined.

>Science Museum of Minnesota

I visited Minnesota on last August. Why we not meet there?:)

--- 
Valerie I. Kotelnikov                   Tuvinian Complex Institute,
academic secretary                      667007, Russia, Republic of
phone 7 394 2236355                     Tuva, Kyzyl, International st.,117a,
fax   7 394 2236555                     e-mail [email-masked]                                        e-mail [email-masked]

---

From: Ian Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 09:47:39 +1100

Ian Johnson wrote:
I was impressed with the work of Professor Sforz, [SP. Sforza (J.M. I
think)], NYU -Vortex accelerators for energy generation - mid-1970's.

---

From: Ian Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 09:44:06 +1100

> >> No study of vortex pipes used as heaters has appeared in the literature.

This is perhaps a little off the track but I was impressed with the work
of Professor Sforz, University of New York on Vortex accelerators for
energy generation in the mid 1970's - may be worth review.