Subject: the Victoria and Albert Museum extension - London

From: WYTHE <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Jun 1996 23:31:34 GMT

Hello ! 
Is there anyone who has an opinion on the proposed V&A extension designed 
by Daniel Libeskind? Or the Pei Pyramid out side the Louvre? Or the 
Guggenheim? or the M.O.M.A? I am a design student and am doing my 
dissertation on the aesthetics of museum architecture and need BIG help!
If you could spare a few minutes to help me out I would really appreciate 
it 
For the V&A - is it too radical for the surroundings?
              will it bring the tourists in ?
              will it introduce art lover to modern archicture?
              will iit ruin the skyline of london?

What is the function of a museum building?

I don't really want to ask questions really, just want to hear your 
thoughts............................

cheers!

debbie

---

From: [email-masked] (James Neil Straker)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 22:11:16 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>
        WYTHE <[email-masked]> writes: 

> Guggenheim? or the M.O.M.A? 

The Louvre looks reasonable, the pyramid is light and peaceful.
The Guggenheim is fine, strong simple shapes.
I like MOMA a lot, it feels friendly and in side it directs attention 
away from itself and onto the exhibits that are its reason for existing

> For the V&A - is it too radical for the surroundings?

Yes, looks ridiculous, and as far as I can gather from the 
Architectural magazines he has not worked out how to build it yet.

>               will it bring the tourists in ?

Maybe to make fun of the outside, but not into the museum I suspect.

>               will it introduce art lover to modern archicture?

Not sure I understand what you mean.  If you are asking me to see the 
building just as a work of art, I have to say that it needs to work as 
a building, and that involves more than just a striking facade.

>               will iit ruin the skyline of london?

Temporarily.  I don't think it will stay around too long even if it 
does get built.  

> What is the function of a museum building?

To attract people inside and show off the exhibits to best advantage. 
Not to keep passers-by gawping at the facade.

-- 
Jimbo
([email-masked])
*.......All shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.*
                                             -  Julian of Norwich