Subject: Foamed concrete.

From: [email-masked] (Curlyindy)
Date: 28 Mar 1996 10:57:04 -0500

I've been intrigued by insects and how they use a mixture of local
materials such as wood fiber or mud mixed with saliva to create cells.  I
am wondering whether a lesson could be learned in combining concrete with
epoxies and small aggregates similar to shotcrete but with the reinforcing
integral to the mix.
Perhaps a combination of fiberglass or steel fibers such as are used today
would work.  Thin shell concrete structures can be very thin when put into
compression although the ACI primarily references the design of them to
other sources.  I am thinking of a shotcrete like application linked with
a semi-fast setting foam like substance which would have good compressive
qualities of concrete. Since the mix would be fast setting, one could
build-up a form/structure on the fly.  Domes in the mideast are made of
mortar and bricks laid in a spiraling fashion so as not to need formwork. 
Insulating the dome could be done with spray insulation or, if pourous
enough, integral with the structure.  Waterproofing could be epoxy paint
if viscous enough.

Responses appreciated.