Subject: Re: Comments to Peter Rice's Book

From: thorsten michael loemker <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jun 1996 07:34:20 GMT

Hi,

I read Peter Rice`s book and for me it is one of the most fascinating books I know. I think it 
is very impressive how he descibes the role of the architect and the engineer working together 
to make extraordinary structures possible. I do not think that it is most self-congratulatory, 
because he just expresses his opinion about engineering and architecture and especially a kind 
of architecture which is not the favourite of too many architects. I was impressed 
about the way he explained his social and cultural background and I think he was just telling 
the story how it happended. If people think it is self-congratulatory, it is maybe just his 
outstanding professional vitae which influences them. No question that he was an extremely 
qualified engineer with the ability to understand the importance of architectural expression. 
Not too many architects or engineers are able to work inter-disciplinary.

Bye

Thorsten

---

From: donald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 19:07:56 GMT

[email-masked] (DANIEL TING) writes:
> Any one read Peter Rice's 'An Engineer Imagines'?
> Please express your opinion about this book or better yet about
> Peter Rice.
> Is he a good engineer or just a form-suker?
> 
> I am translating the book into Chinese......
> 
> thanx
> 
> daniel
> [email-masked]

Yes I've read it and in my opinion it is mostly self congratlatory