Subject: Web-less Mr Solar Column - "Intro Solar"

From: [email-masked] (Charles Collins)
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 1995 06:32:41 -0700

This is a copy of a column that appears on the WWW for those that are
web-less. I hope to inform you about using the dependable sun for your
added comfort and convenience. I have been writing a weekly "ask Mr.
Solar" column for the past three years in the south  west which has been
published in several local newspapers - It is now on the Web as you will
see the column is written so that anyone can understand and apply solar
electricity to their every day use. We, Fran and I, have learned through
trial and error what works and what doesn¹t in solar and want to pass this
information on to you.  I will be writing about using sun, wind, and water
to generate pollution free electricity. I will outline the advantages as
well as the
disadvantages of each type of energy. In order for this column to be of
interest and help to you, I invite you to Email me your questions and
comments.

Dear Mr. Solar: What does it involve to generate, store and power a
     home on alternative electricity? Question from Francis LaBonte, Miami, Fl

     Mr. Solar: An alternative electrical energy system consists of three major
     components: a way to generate electricity, store electricity and
     an inverter to make friendly usable alternating current(AC).

     The electrical generating component can be a set of solar electrical
panels,
     a water turbine, a wind mill or a generator. The most economical
     generating system used in most parts of the world is a small
     water turbine or hydro system. They will generate 24 hours a day
     from a small stream. The use of a set of solar electric panels is
     dependable where there is non- polluted daily sun shine. Another
     choice is the use of a wind mill that is a very economical
     providing there is ample wind. The generated electrical DC power is stored
     in a large set of batteries.

     The batteries are the only part of your system that will need
     attention from time to time. The batteries should be large enough
     to store power for several days. The two choices of batteries are
     the lead acid or the alkaline type. The cheapest in relation to
     the purchase price is the industrial lead acid batteries. But
     they require more maintenance. The major disadvantage of alkaline
     type is that they are considerably more expensive up front. On
     the positive side, they will last twenty years or more and are
     considerably less expensive over the long haul.

     The other major component of any alternative electrical system is the
     inverter. This is a piece of equipment that converts your stored
     DC electrical power to friendly usable AC power. There are many
     inventors to choose from and we will cover these in depth in
     later articles.

     You will also need switches, fuses, and controls built into your
     system. These will enable you to operate you own power company
     for years with very little attention on your part. You will need
     to watch the gauges as you do on your car so that you will be
     aware of the condition of your electrical system.

     A solar electrical system has only three major components and
     they are interconnected so that your system operate
     automatically.

Charlie Collins lives in Southwest Utah and has written a weekly column for
THE DAILY SPECTRUM in St. George, Utah for the past three years.

If you have any questions, or would like more information about solar
electricity, you can contact Charlie via Email address:
([email-masked]). Charlie will respond to your questions in the next
couple of days and, if your question is good enough, it may find its way
into his "Ask Mr. Solar" column.

I will containing mirroring the article that appear on the web site here
in this newsgroup - unless you folks find their length objectionable. 
 
CharlieC

Email   
[email-masked] (Charlie Collins)
AOL      SolarA
http://www.netins.net/showcase/solarcatalog/

Mr Solar's Home Page:
 - 100 articles - alternative energy by Mr Solar and others
 - Mr Solar's Global Network  alternative energy powered  Homes + Criss/Cross
 - Alternative Energy Catalogue
 - Sale Items 
 - Where's happening in the world -  conferences & meetings
 - New Products