Subject: Re: Passive Solar is affordable

From: [email-masked] (Nick Pine)
Date: 22 Aug 1996 13:30:38 -0400

george p swanton <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Nick Pine <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>Conrad  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>>Passive solar has a big drawback due to the laws of physics. Since you
>>>are LIVING WITHIN your heat storage medium you MUST put up with
>>>temperature variations.
>>
>>False.
>
>If you can provide an example system design

I've been doing that here for two years now, George :-) 
Including a long email correspondence with you, in which
you seemed unable to understand it... 

>for a 100% passive system (that means no fans, pumps, etc)

I don't think that matters much. Sure, $15 thermostats and $50 2 Watt
dampers and 36 Watt fans are not purely passive, but passive purity seems 
old-fashioned, compared to comfort, simplicity and cost-effectiveness. 

>that doesn't experience temperature variation, ie

Not even 0.001 degrees? :-)

>maintains constant design temperature (365 day - 24 hour)
>throughout a dwelling of arbitrary plan at arbitrary latitude,

A circus tent at the North Pole? :-)

>we might not consider your assertion completely unsubstantiated. 

Have We mistaken ourselves for The Queen?

Some people seem to take longer to catch on than others, eg people
who are unwilling to do arithmetic or high-school physics... 

>[BTW: It has to be feasible, no NASA budgets...]

Good idea.

>The storage medium will unavoidably vary in temperature.
>The variation within the dwelling may be damped but
>cannot be entirely eliminated.

Bullshit. If the heatstore is always warmer than the house proper,
by design, there is no need for house temperature variations.

1. Look up the average winter temp and amount of sun where you live.
2. Find out how much heat your house needs on that average day.
3. Design some sort of low-thermal mass "sunspace" to provide that heat.
4. Put a solar closet behind it, with enough water to store heat for a week. 

Put a water heater above it with a warmwater convection loop, if you like. 

There are a number of ways to move air. Natural convection works, eg with
dampers that open and close using bimetallic springs, for passive purists,
but that requires larger dampers than systems that use thermostats and
small fans...  

Nick

---

From: Lee Porter Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 17:09:12 +0000

Hi Nick,

Ekotecture International Incorporated

Ekotecture International is a Florida corporation, chartered for the 
purpose of licensing and franchising individuals, corporations, 
partnerships, trusts and foundations to design, build, manufacture 
install and maintain integrated natural energy environments which are 
powered by the universal energies of gravity, solar and geothermal 
inertia, evaporation & condensation& phase change.

Integrated natural energy environments or Ekospheres™ are defined as 
self-contained, self-sufficient, solar gravity geothermal powered, 
non-polluting, structurally integrated, super strength, lightweight 
molded structures which float, enabling them to resist damage from 
earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes or tidal waves. They 
provide lights, gas, water and food, required or desired by the 
occupants of the structure. 

 Mission Statement

€ Promote World Peace through the international economic 
interdependence of construction coalitions and utility management 
cartels. € Make the world a better place to live by enrlling humanity 
into supporting environmental friendly construction. € Prove our love 
and respect for humanity by dedicating ourselves to education 
concerning the conservation of our natural resources 

Vision Statement

€ Before the year 2006, Ekotecture International will have become the 
largest construction coalition and utility management cartel in the 
world. € We will be respected by our peers for the devlopment and 
delivery of environmentally friendly construction. € We will be sought 
after as a leader in the international business community because of 
our innovative and creative marketing of premier Ekotecture 
technology. € We will be the catalyst for world wide utility 
management which conserves our earth¹s natural resources. 

A History of Ekose¹a and Ekotecture

In 1979, with the assistance of architect William Pearson and the 
Ekose¹a™ San Francisco staff of architects and environmental designers 
, we wrote and published the book, Ekose¹a Homes ©1979, describing the 
plans and details of the solar, gravity convection, geothermal 
envelope for single family homes which could be designed for all 
micro-climates, worldwide. Between November 1979 and April 1980, the 
Ekose¹a office received as many as one thousand requests for 
information daily, from people who had been exposed to the Ekose¹a 
concept and examples of the homes through magazines, newspapers and 
television programs world wide. 

The energy shortage and gasoline crisis in 1975 activated the mass 
media, attention, who by 1980 were putting alternative energy designs 
and inventors on the cover of every national magazine. Fortunately, 
for Ekose¹a™, this positive publicity created a public demand for our 
publications and professional services. Between 1979 and 1981, this 
publicity drove the sales of more than 45,000 buyers to purchase our 
book and 15,000 purchased construction documents, specifications and 
limited supervision. From this activity and later follow up studies, 
we now estimate that there are approximately 20,000 occupied Ekose¹a™ 
double envelope homes worldwide. 

The superior comfort and health standards , interior air quality and 
thermal performance is now well known after fourteen years of history 
by satisfied owners. The houses have been monitored and documented by 
universities, national laboratories and individual owner builder 
experimenters all over the world. In 1981, DOE sponsored a monitoring 
& study of an Ekose¹a home built in 1980, near Newport, Rhode Island. 
The study was supervised by the Brookhaven National Laboratory¹s 
architect, Ralph Jones. They concluded that, ³the double envelope 
concept was distinguished in that it allowed for large amounts of 
glass necessary for light and views without requiring additional 
energy. They went on to add, ³ that it was the only design they had 
ever tested which could survive a severe northern winter, unattended 
without damage to the interior from freezing. 

The Ekose¹a double envelope design provided unexpected surprises and 
health benefits whenever the south facing solarium was used as a 
greenhouse garden room. When filled with plants, the envelope air 
provides an natural electrostatic air ionizing and filtering system. 
The Ekose¹a™ homes provide an ideal living space, as they have the 
potential of being filled with beautiful colored flowers, delightful 
aromas, and green foliage plants which produce oxygen from converted 
carbon dioxide. 

Fast forward 15 years.

In 1991, in the book, Earth in the Balance Albert Gore predicts a 
global civil war, between the haves and the have nots, resulting from 
the finite limitations of our present energy technologies and the 
resources they demand to supply the projected global demand into the 
next century. He calls for the ³new organizing principle² of 
civilization to be the search for human life support systems which can 
be sustained indefinitely and he makes a passionate plea for America 
to use it¹s technological superiority and ingenuity to lead the world 
in this critical mission. 

In 1993, responding to growing interest and awareness of architects of 
this crisis, the American Institute of Architects and the 
International Congress of Architects choose ³sustainable 
development²as the theme of their annual convention They called for 
solutions to sustainable development in an international competition 
to be judged at the time of the annual AIA convention. There has been 
so much controversy surrounding the subject of defining ³sustainable 
development² that the judging was delayed and they have yet to 
circulate the results as promised. 

In 1994. President Clinton appointed a panel of national business, 
scientific and political leaders to the National Commission on 
sustainable Development. After more than two years of controversy and 
endless meetings, it has become obvious that none of these committee 
members could agree on what sustainable development actually consists 
of. They have yet to come to terms with the jargon and the definition 
of sustainability. 

In 1995, responding to the growing perception within the engineering 
professions that finding a solution to this 
economic-scientific-environmental global crisis must now receive the 
highest priority, the Provost of MIT, the world¹s leading 
technological research institution asked the head of it¹s Civil 
Engineering Department, Professor David Marks, to step down and direct 
an interdisciplinary team to find sustainable solutions. They created 
the Program for Environmental Engineering, Education and Research 
which will be known as PEEER. MIT then joined the University of Tokyo 
and the Federated Universities of Switzerland to form the The 
International Alliance for Global Sustainability. The first conference 
was held recently in Peking China. 

The question being asked by all of these chief executives, 
commissioners, scientists and construction professionals alike is; 
Which sustainable alternative, pollution free technologies can satisfy 
the present global demand for energy, comfort and conveniences without 
sacrificing our future security or compromising our future ability to 
provide these luxuries and necessities to all who will want and need 
them, into and beyond the next century? 

In 1995, fifteen years since the initial success of the Ekose¹a Homes, 
I have continued to research and have invented, developed and refined 
an expanded concept which I call a ³sustainable construction 
structure² ( patent pending, 1995 )  or Ekotecture©™ or Ekospheres™, 
featuring a radically improved gravity, solar, geothermal envelope 
with multiple air passages which can control the temperature and 
humidity of each room individually, using either manual or computer 
controlled air flow dampers and as further described below. 

In inventing the word Ekotecture©™, I am proposing that humanity 
needs to become familiar with a a new household term, Ekotecture©™, 
an entirely new discipline or field of study which is defined as the 
³art and science of designing and building affordable, aesthetically 
pleasing, environmentally and economically sustainable structures 
which protect human life, nature and material property during 
catastrophic natural disasters such as earthquakes, fires, floods, 
hurricanes and tornadoes. This new subject would be known as 
Ekotecture©™. 

Ekotecture©™ which we plan to manufacture is further defined as an 
injection molded, super lightweight masonry & ceramic parts of 
structures , including a floating foundation for the building above 
which contains the required equipment, tanks and on board computers 
necessary to regulate and maintain the required utility service for 
the building. These structural modules, could be used individually to 
create homes or grouped together to create large buildings. 

The result is a lightweight, fireproof, insect resistant, floating 
material which resists heat and moisture transfer. It can be easily 
cut and sawn by ordinary carpenters, using ordinary tools. 

This structure and floating foundation provide a framework around 
which owners, real estate developers, designers, architects, engineers 
and contractors have wide latitude to create the exterior style and 
finish of the building, according to the individual tastes, 
preferences and needs of each client, site or situation. 

Ekospheres©™ are space frames, taking advantage of the geodesic and 
egg shaped geometric & crystalline synergies of crystals and minimum 
use of materials. In the finished architecture, the Ekotecture 
infrastructure is invisible to the observer and in no way limits the 
style, character or building function. 

The base is comprised of a series of interconnected interlocking 
crystaline shaped tanks and equipment compartments, for the regulation 
and processing of the passive solid state systems. These systems 
provide perfectly mineralized domestic water, electric power, natural 
gas for cooking & ceramic fireplaces or ceremonial flames. They 
provide landscape fertilizer and water and they provide enclosed space 
heating,cooling and refrigeration. All of this is surrounded, of 
course by a series of airways cast in the molded frame. Some of the 
crystaline compartments will be filled with air for floatation.

These voids, the gravity solar geothermal convection envelopes conduct 
heating and cooling air , other voids provide spaces for pipes, 
telephone and shielded cables. The main household or building 
electrical current is conducted through a doped portion of the wall 
itself. Outlets simply connect to the positive and the negative 
channels to provide 12 direct current current anywhere in the 
structure, without generating harmful alternating currents that can 
kill. 

The quality of air inside envelope structures has already been 
observed, experienced and documented. A superior level of both comfort 
and health is being testified to by owners who have lived in the homes 
for more than 12 years. Testimony from Ekose¹a clients claim that 
allergies and other respiratory diseases such as colds and flu 
disappeared when the individual occupied an envelope home filled with 
plants. 

Our intention is to organize and create a global cartel of individual 
real estate developers, contractors and manufacturers, all organized 
and relating to a single data base and internal business economy or 
accounting system. Ekotecture International Incorporated will 
manufacture, install and deliver the floating biospheres or 
Ekospheres™. A subsidiary company of Ekotecture, Mothers of 
Maintenance or MOM™ incorporated will be organized to maintain the 
utility systems on board. Stock in both Ekotecture and MOM will be 
sold to the owners of the present energy and utility cartels and 
companies. Both companies will be employee owned and employee managed. 

We see the prototype development taking place in partnership with 
major universities. We have initiated discussion at MIT , RISD., U of 
Oregon, U of Glasgow. The programs would be funded by DOE, DOD, EPA 
and HEW. We believe that it is logical to use the retired DOD ship and 
submarine building facilities in cities like Charleston and others. 
The existing hydraulics and construction bays would save millions in 
the initial start up costs. Start up capital is being solicited from 
venture capitalists and the corporation plans to make application for 
funding through the Advanced Technology Program, recently created by 
the administration of Clinton and Gore. 

The initial prototypes are as follows;

(1) A 2000 sq. ft. single family detached home designed for the gated 
country club developments South Florida.
(2) A 1500 sq. ft. middle income tract home in Southern California or 
Nevada
(3) A 400 Sq. ft. Basic shelter for the undeveloped world market, 
Chine, India and Africa.
(4) A 2000 sq. ft. floating home and garden with swimming pool

All four prototypes will be manufactured simultaneously.

The Ekotecture concept will create millions of jobs world wide and 
will stimulate the economy of the United states and every other 
country which participates in its manufacture or maintenance. By 
creating a win, win, win scenario, all intelligent and motivated 
people will choose to get involved , making Ekotecture a global 
solution within the next 5 years. 

Your support and participation is invited, appreciated and vital. 

Ekotecture International Inc.
620 Biscayne Drive
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
or by Fax (407) 833-6834
telephone (407) 659-7656

or Email, lbutler@.emi.net

You can see the home page for ekosea homes at www.webcast1.com/ekosea

---

From: [email-masked] (george p swanton)
Date: 26 Aug 1996 19:08:14 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
>you seemed unable to understand it... 

You post prolificly, that much is undisputed. However, 
the reader is not necessarily at fault if your
presentation is not understood...

>old-fashioned, compared to comfort, simplicity and cost-effectiveness.

The point is that a system encorporating these components is active,
not passive, regardless of degree of complexity. It may make good
sense to include such components, but you cant claim to have a 
passive system.

[...]

>Have We mistaken ourselves for The Queen?

Not lately, but one might suspect that you had when you pronounced
judgement upon the original poster. The point is that it does
no one any good to post a one word reply like 'FALSE'
without a substantiating arguement. 

>who are unwilling to do arithmetic or high-school physics... 

Some of us are just a little slow Nick, you have to be
patient with us...

>but that requires larger dampers than systems that use thermostats and

Maintaining the heatstore above the temperature of the dwelling 
with 'n' days expected thermal storage does not ensure that the 
dwelling temperature will not vary. The rate of transfer of heat
>from  storage to the dwelling must exactly match the dynamic 
point in time requirements of the dwelling or temperature
variations will occur. A certain degree of lag/overshoot is 
inevitable. This is by no means fatal, if sufficiently small, 
it is not objectionable and doesn't really matter in practical 
terms. 

BTW: While your reply begins to address the heating needs of 
our 'arbitrary dwelling', it ignores the possibility of 
overheating of the dwelling space and the need for cooling,
which one might argue is a more difficult problem. 

Your refutation of the orinal post was absolute and 
unsubstantiated. You have to expect people to call you on the
carpet when you do something like that. 

gps

---

From: Carlos Portela <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 05:14:18 -0700

One very effective type of solar home is the
double envelope home, which was pioneered in
the 1970s by solar architect Lee Porter Butler.
I learned about these homes in a seminar
he gave in 1979 at UCSC.

The double envelope solar home is a two story house
with standard stud frame insulated east and west
walls, with a greenhouse on the equator side of
the house (south side of the house in US), and
a double wall on the side of the house furthest
>from  the equator (north wall in US).
In addition, the crawl space under the house
is an air plenum allowing air to flow between
the double wall and the greenhouse.  And the
roof is a double roof, for air to pass between
the greenhouse and the double wall.

The greenhouse has some wall space instead of
being totally glass, although most of the surface
is glass.  This greenhouse has a wood deck floor
with space between each plank allowing air to
filter between the floor boards.

The house has a gable roof, with ridge along the
east-west axis, and the greenhouse tapers off
to the top of the house, with an exposed water
tank installed horizontally near the top of the
greenhouse (not very noticable) for batch solar
water heating.

During the day, air in the greenhouse heats up
and rises into the double roof and then down the
double wall to the crawl space beneath the house,
and then up through the greenhouse floor boards.
This is a large cylinder of air, which acts
as insulation.  The only thermal mass, according
to Butler in his seminar about one particular
house he was teaching us about, was the bare
ground underneath the house in the crawl space.

On cold nights the air cylinder reverses, with
heat loss in the greenhouse causing the air in
the greenhouse to drop, pushing air into the
crawlspace and up the double wall and into the
top of the greenhouse.

On very hot days, you can eliminate the cylinder
flow of air by opening vents in the peak of the
roof and along the bottom of the house.

After I learned about these types of homes,
I did research into insulating air curtains,
and found that moving air can act as very
effective insulation.

Double envelope houses are not very common.
The only one I've seen was in Alaska, designed
by Skip Roy.  These houses are very effective
in very cold weather.  There are some drawbacks,
however, as noted in a Dept. of Energy fact
sheet (listed below), but these home designs
are suitable in some cases, and ideas from
these designs can be incorporated in many
types of homes very effectively.

The U.S. Dept. of Energy has compiled a
fact sheet about double envelope home design.
To read that on the web, first go to
http://www.teleport.com/~solar3d/solar/links.shtml

then select
"EREC Residential Energy Efficiency"

then scroll down and select
"Thermal Envelope Houses"

You can also see a photo and a couple of
drawings at Lee Porter Butler's web site at:
http://webcast1.com/ekosea/

That web site also has information about ordering
Lee Porter Butler's book about these types of homes.

The double envelope house design is an
important passive solar design strategy
to know about.

Carlos Portela
-- 
3-D Software
P.O. Box 220, Mapleton OR  97453  USA
[email-masked]
http://www.teleport.com/~solar3d