Subject: Architects Gathering Free on AECNET

From: [email-masked] (AECNET Info Center)
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 1995 15:59:53 +0100

PRESS INFORMATION

Contact: Gene Simon
(516)754-3020

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AECNET Announces Free Access to Internet Based Services for Design and
Construction Professionals

November 6, 1995 - Northport, NY - AECNET[tm] - The Electronic Resource
Network of Architecture, Engineering and Construction today announced that
it will now offer free access to the AECNET World Wide Web site and
Internet based Bulletin Board System.  Both services, available to design
and construction professionals with access to the Internet, will carry no
membership fees, no connect time charges and no software fees.  AECNET
uses both World Wide Web and electronic Bulletin Board System (BBS)
technology to provide design and construction professionals with
information, services, and an easy to use interactive gathering place on
the Information Superhighway.  

The AECNET World Wide Web site (http://www.aecnet.com), rapidly becoming
the most comprehensive industry resource on the Internet, is available on
the Internet to those with access to a World Wide Web browser. This
includes many users of the America Online, CompuServe and Prodigy
services.  The AECNET Internet Bulletin Board System is an on-line
service, similar in nature to these major commercial services, aimed
specifically at professionals in the commercial design and construction
industry.  The service is available with no long distance charges from the
Internet, and includes free point and click navigation software for both
PC and Macintosh users.  The Bulletin Board System is not available to
users of the major on-line services, however, since these services do not
connect users directly to the Internet.

The move was announced after a careful examination of the on-line market
as it pertains to the AEC industry in North America.  "Our strategy is
simple - if you are on the Internet, you can get to AECNET.  If not, we
can provide that connection at a very competitive rate.  For the past few
months we have been hearing requests for an open system, based on the
Internet, that carries little or no cost," noted AECNET president and
founder Drew Linsalata.  "We listened."

AECNET Vice President Gene Simon added, "Originally we envisioned AECNET
as a closed proprietary system supported by subscription dollars.  That
model has proven to be quite unsuccessful for other organizations so we
chose to make a change to reflect the current state of out market. The
dramatic increase in interest we have seen from industry vendors looking
at AECNET as an advertising vehicle prompted us to change direction more
quickly."  Simon added, "We are confident that we will be able to generate
the revenue required to provide this service at no charge."

The AECNET announcement marks the opening of the industry's first no cost
comprehensive on-line service.  AECNET will continue to offer fee based
Internet access and World Wide Web advertising packages to design and
construction firms around the US.

In conjunction with this announcement, the AECNET team unveiled a series
of promotional packages designed to allow building product manufacturers
and other industry vendors to take advantage of AECNET as a tool in
advertising products and services on the service.

Design and construction professionals interested in gaining free access to
the AECNET Web site or Internet BBS should contact AECNET via e-mail to
[email-masked] or by telephone at 1-800-9AECNET.

Industry vendors seeking information on advertising on AECNET should
contact AECNET at (516)754-3020 or via e-mail to [email-masked].

#         #         #