Subject: CLIMATIC DESIGN : THE MAHONEY TABLES

From: [email-masked] (SAM)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 15:52:18 GMT

HI !

DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE MAHONEY TABLES?

I AM INTERESTED IN THE WINDOWS SIZING (FOR NATURAL COOLING) IN
THE DESIGN RECOMMENDATION PART. I NEED TO KNOW HOW IT HAD BEEN
DERIVED, BECAUSE IT IS RATHER STRANGE THAT THE MAHONEY TABLES DO
NOT INCLUDE WIND SPEED AND DIRECTION FOR THE SIZING OF WINDOWS.

I NEED TO KNOW THAT BECAUSE I AM CURRENTLY DOING A STUDY FOR ITS
APPLICATION IN HOT HUMID MALAYSIAN CLIMATE WHERE MEAN WIND SPEED
IS RATHER SLOW (1-2 m/s).

THE AVAILABLE WINDOWS SIZING METHOD FOR CROSS VENTILATION IS
RATHER "ISOLATED". THE MAHONEY TABLES CONSIDER RH AND AIR TEMP.
WHILE THERE ARE SOME METHODS CONSIDER WIND SPEED AND DIRECTION,
TERRAIN TYPE AND THE EFFECTS OF ADJACENT BUILDINGS. SOME STUDIES
SHOWED THAT DIRECT SOLAR RADIATION HEAT GAIN AND DAYLIGHTING ALSO
THE FACTORS DETERMINING THE SIZE OF WINDOWS. I HOPE THAT SOMEONE
CAN TELL ME IF THERE IS A METHOD INTERGRATING ALL THE MENTIONED
PARAMETER.

THANKS.

PEACE
SAM