Subject: Project: being immigrant as possibility for everyone

From: [email-masked] (martin menacher)
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 15:28:22 GMT

This is an offer for an architecture student or an architect
to work on the problem of adaptation in immigration for the next 
four weeks.
In this academic year I had a contact with a doctor from ucraine
who wants to immigrate to the U.K. and I tried to design a refugee
for him in London; following his ideas, wishes and dreams about
housing in a foreign country.
After having finished this project, there is now the idea of spaces
for temporary refugees distributed over the world. Some countries
could have an interest in providing architects with money to look
for empty additional space and finally designing refugees on them.
These spaces should deal with the present city and their inhabitants
because there is the belief that both the city and the immigrants
can learn from each other in a positive way so that it could process
the knowledge and the evolution of cultures.
The immigrant could sign a contract to live a certain amount of time
in these spaces. If after this time he does not want to leave the
country he should empty that space and look for a proper accomodation.
The space then has lost its task to help with the intregation from
one culture to another.
With the internet it could also be possible to advert these spaces
and a person could move from one place to another in a self-chosen
time.
The interesting thing would then be how a person changes these places,
how she/he adapts the interior/exterior to someones culture. To
guarantee this visual adaptation the possibility of change and
influence should be as big as possible.
The next person could overtake these changed rooms, respect and trans-
form them to a personal space which combines different cultures. How
an architecture could allow and encourage these changes, this is my
question where I need a partner from another culture to work on. The
other question could be how these spaces could have a visual impact
to the city following the sociological impact of foreigners.
A method of research could be to analyse a the transformation of flats
immigrants have rented and how these spaces have been redesigned to
allow cultural adaptation. Perhaps a photographic documentation would
be helpful.
Who wants to help me with this nationwide task? It would be best if I
find someone outside the U.K. who has interest in this project. I think
that another cultural backround could help to overthink this first
draft of the brief.

Hearing soon from you if possible
Yours sincerly
Martin Menacher

---

From: [email-masked] (Unverified User)
Date: Sat, 13 May 1995 14:04:00 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (martin

> Hearing soon from you if possible

Martin Menacher
  I am an architect student at the University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA,
but I am from Chile. I have some experience working with immigrant in
Italy and I find your idea super.
 My email: [email-masked]

Nahuel Quiroga