Subject: Architecture as a Career

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 22:22:31 GMT

I would like to get the advise on those who know as to the opportunities in 
Architecture as a career.  If one listens to what people say, the architect is 
on the decline...is this true or simply a myth?  Is it still a good career 
with good opportunity and income potential?  replay or E-mail me please!

---

From: "Brian A. Rock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:34:00 -0700

> with good opportunity and income potential?  replay or E-mail me please!

If you are interested in the technical side of buildings, then consider
architectural engineering.  ARCE's are engineers who design building
systems.  For more information on architectural engineering, visit:

KU Architectural Engineering Department
http://www.arce.ukans.edu/arce/arce.htm

National Society of Architectural Engineers (NSAE)
http://www.arce.ukans.edu/nsae/main.htm

Good luck in your quest.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian A. Rock, Ph.D., P.E.        Voice:  (913) 864-3434
The University of Kansas          Fax:    (913) 864-5099
Architectural Engineering Dept.   E mailto:[email-masked]
Marvin Hall                       Home page: http://www.arce.ukans.edu/
Lawrence, Kansas 66045-2222       Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ken <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 00:28:35 -0700

> with good opportunity and income potential?  replay or E-mail me please!

Hmmmm, where should I start?  It's not as cheery-lucrative as the image you get.

I'm just another young architect practicing now for a few years in California.

It's a fact that there are just too many architects and architect candidates out there today.  
This means fewer projects per designer in general, which leads to more competitive (lower) 
fees, which leads to being overworked and overstressed.  Same occurs with employment in an 
architecture office---meager wages, you're SO EXPENDABLE as an employee, but you have to work 
your tail off just to get by.

This, coupled with our natural idealism and sheer enjoyment of our work, makes for a steady 
decline of our profession.  And along with the higher complexity of new projects, increased 
regulations, circumvention of our traditional duties by other professionals, and the low 
public opinion of the value of GOOD DESIGN---architecture, as a profession, is defragmenting 
and slowly dissolving into a mere pastime for intellectuals...   whatever.  

I've heard many comments like "if I had a million bucks, what would I do?  I would practice 
architecture until it ran out."

I think many in our field just don't make it---they change careers.  Many others survive okay, 
but just okay.  Sometimes it's cutthroat competitive---especially in the recent economic 
constructon slump.  And a few lucky, talented, hard-working suckers make it above average.  
However, many will tell you it's not what they've been taught in school.  It's not the fun 
"designing."  Instead, it's a lot of other non-architecture tasks and knowledge that they 
have.  I think about 1 out of 10,000 architects are wealthy, respected designers.  Most would 
tell you it's not money that defines success to them.  Well, they would HAVE to say that.

One the other hand, architecture is perfect for those who don't have to worry about money, 
income, paying the bills, etc.  But also, the low general opinion of the value of good design 
is the most disappointing.  What prestige?  We have to do a lot more educating of the masses.

These are the doldrums.

Then again, I have to confess to the great wealth of friends and associates so well-balanced, 
intelligent, talented, knowledgeable, honest, modest, likeable and so wholesomely beautiful 
you would only find in the field of architecture.  We are merely artists and philosophers.

---

From: Nicolas Bilodeau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 12:53:43 -0700

> with good opportunity and income potential?  replay or E-mail me please!

	Il est vrai que la profession d'architecte est en declin, par contre,
il existe une multitude de sous branche. La profession devra s'adapter
au marche actuel.

	If you like computing, infographie, 3d modeling and design. This career
can give you many good opportunity.
	You are very interested by architecture, go for it!

---

From: arkhitek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 10:11:38 -0500

Ken wrote:
> >snip<

yay!