Subject: Re: Slip-form rock wall

From: [email-masked] (Norbert Senf)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 22:25:32 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996 13:16:30 -0400, Jason Mansfield Roth
<[email-masked]> wrote:

(snip)
>If slip-form Rock walls are similar to what Frank Lloyd Wright did at
>Taliesin West, then there ought to be some semi-detailed information on
>his method. His method, in turn, was either borrowed from or anticipated
>by Ernest Flagg in some low-income housing in Staten Island in the
>mid-20s.

The Nearings' method was based on Flagg's, and they made a number of
improvements in it. It is described in considerable detail in "Living
the Good Life". They built solid stone walls, 12" thick. These days,
you'd have to address energy efficiency (the Nearings just burned a
lot of wood, instead). Most common solution is to frame a 2x6 wall
inside to hold insulation. Once you do that, then you have to ask
yourself the question: Why not build a conventional stud frame house
and use a 4" stone veneer?

Best..........NS
--------------------------------------------------------
Norbert Senf			email 	[email-masked]
Masonry Stove Builders		voice 	819 647 5092
Shawville Quebec		http://mha-net.org/msb

---

From: [email-masked] (Nick Pine)
Date: 30 Jun 1996 13:45:08 -0400

Norbert Senf <[email-masked]> wrote:

Of better yet for solar heating, put the insulation on the outside of
the stone wall. Eg 4" of urethane foam used as a form, with latex paint
on the outside... 

Nick

---

From: Juli Bedwell <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Jul 1996 16:57:35 GMT

"the Owner built Home" by Ken Kern discusses slip-form rubble 
construction w/ some details

---

From: [email-masked] (Dustin Harris)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:51:01 GMT

Dave Meissner <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Is there anyone out there familiar with slip-form rock wall 
>construction.

>I'd be interested in hearing from others who may have used the 
>Slip-Form method. I am planning to build a home soon.

	You might check out the Rocky Mountain Institute. They built their
HQ/home, a 4000 sq ft building at 7000' in the front range in Co with
slip form. They are on the web and have literature available for a
reasonable price.