Subject: Re: Computers and Architecture

From: Chad Okinaka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 06:38:29 -0700

King wrote:

> I agree with all architects and clients alike that pretty computer
> renderings and working drawings are easy to read and maintain a standard of
> presentation which is accurate and true to life as we can get.  However, I
> am concerned that the screen and keyboard has  replaced the mighty pen and
> paper.  Surely the artistic talents of the designer cannot be totally
> controlled by the electronic brain,  what's happened to the inspirational
> sketch on the back of a matchbox.

I respect the notion that you are trying to convey.  However, if the computer 
is both "easier to read and more accurate", what advantages then do you see to the 
pen drawing on the back of a matchbook?  Other than it's nostalgic and artistic 
appeal, pen sketches are just a sketch (to be taken with a grain of salt), a 
representation, a basic conveyance of a thought.  

Other than the very intitial stages of schematic design, the pen has little 
advantages (IMHO) over the computer.  The computer is much more powerful from that 
point.  Why?  Other than the reasons you stated above, there is the ability to 
re-use and modify drawings done in earlier stages and develop them into Design 
Development & Working drawings (savings in labor and time = more profit).  In 
addition, if a client cannot read plans or visualize, an accurate computer model 
can be built so that the client can view the space.  A great feature that is still 
in it's infancy but does work is the Virtual Reality (IE: Quiktime VR) aspect.  
Where you can sit in a meeting with the client and view the building 
interactively, controlling views with the mouse.  

Above point is geared towards massing studies.  In addition, say the client wants 
to know how the carpet pattern will work with the wallpaper pattern.  Samples of 
the materials can be scanned and "pasted" into the model (texture mapped) and the 
client can see the material selection in VR.

Additionally, cost estimating, area calculations, revisions to drawings, etc.  
There are some very sophisticated software out there.

> All profesionals beware, please don't overdo the electronic gadgetry in
> your office, let the individual express their ideas in their own way and
> let the power of the habd and pen reign once more.

Although the computer is not for everyone, I would choose it over the pen almost 
always.  Maybe it is because, IMHO, the computer gives me more artistic freedom 
then the pen.  Maybe I don't know how to use a pen properly!  ;)

Chad Okinaka, AIA