Subject: Re: looking for hippie publications....

From: [email-masked] (Cori Stewart)
Date: 24 Jan 1996 04:42:22 GMT

I took a peek at Shelter in my university library because of this thread, 
and I'll tell yuh, I liked it a lot! Greatly recommend it!  Not only does 
it have extensive looks at low tech building practices the world over 
with tonnes of pictures and informative precise information, but it has 
diagrams and instructions and historical perspectives, all of which are 
placed in a context towards the reader building something.

With respect to Mother Earth News ... this is another publication that 
has recently come to my attention, and I'll have to say i disagree with 
your Martha Stewart view of it in terms of building/living off the grid 
and sustainably ... I might put Harrowsmith Country Living in that 
category if I were lookin at it for sustainable living, but not Mother 
Earth News.  In the same library, I perused the issues from the last 
three or four years, and found some very valuable information ... topics 
like using/refurbishing, choosing a proper wood heating system ... like 
pow tech water systems hooked up from rivers, wells and cisterns ... like 
building something called a micro house .... something else called a 
straw bale house ... another article as a starter project for 
timberframing by building a wood shed ... tonnes of inspirational 
articles from others who are currently living this way and are very very 
happy.  I'd say give Mother Earth News another chance, and really peruse 
the issues, ... you'll be surprised.  

See yuh!

-T. Shawn
(currently using Cori's account)

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul G.McHenry)
Date: 23 Jan 1996 18:39:33 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says...
>
>thanks for all of your input
>going out to get shelter
>

>its the house that needs building that i need creative thoughts on
>
>
>
>sarah
>

Sarah...
Look in our searchable bibliography on the WEB.  It deals mainly with adobe 
and earthen forms of building, but might be of help.

http://www.unm.edu/~mchenry

P. G. McHenry  (Buzz)

---

From: [email-masked] (Cori Stewart)
Date: 24 Jan 1996 04:42:22 GMT

See yuh!

-T. Shawn

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul G.McHenry)
Date: 23 Jan 1996 18:39:33 GMT

Sarah...

P. G. McHenry  (Buzz)