Subject: Advanced Architectural 3D with Autodesk

From: [email-masked] (M Stewart)
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 13:23:07

Advanced Architectural Computer 3D graphics using Autodesk products
 -WHAT’S WORKING BEST out there?AutoCAD is great for Architectural modeling 
because of its accuracy and tie-in with other products  (However, I am 
disappointed with r13 3D).  I am about to test AutoVision 2 with AutoCAD 
13 (and 12) and 3D Studio 4.  I will post or e-mail my findings if there’s 
interest. I have several questions I will be trying to answer for myself 
listed below. If any of you have any experience or comments, please post or 
e-mail me at: [email-masked]

1) Straight AutoCAD shading and rendering. Options for getting it exported 
into .TIF or other graphic formats? The output options with AutoCAD alone seem 
very sparse. Aside from Postscript Out, what other options are there? Is there 
a program that converts .SLD files into .TIF files?

2) What are the incompatibilities between AutoVision 2 and 3D Studio 4? Are 
materials and mapping compatible? identical? Do cameras and lighting 
carry-over?

3) Now that AutoCAD can save a model directly in 3DS format (bypassing DXF), 
how much passing back and forth can be done between AutoCAD and 3DS? What are 
some pitfalls? Is it better to stay with DXF rather than using AutoCAD’s 
attempt at 3DS format?

4) What are some great shortcuts, tips, and tricks to make Architectural 
Modeling, Rendering, and Animation with Autodesk products go quicker and turn 
out slicker? I find myself competing with other 3D systems, such as IBM’s AES 
system which seems a lot faster in modeling and basic rendering!

Thanks very much for any input or feedback.

-Martin
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Will Stewart )
Date: 26 May 1995 15:00:54 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (M Stewart) writes: 
>interest. 

I'm interested, thanks for offering.

Regards, 

Will Stewart