Subject: Re: Help for High school Students

From: <Unknown>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 11:25:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (DavidF3264) says:
>
>
>
>I was wondering if anyone can lend their expertise and tell me of any
>programs available by architectural firms or schools that would help in
>the development and preparation of high school students for this industry.
>
>Please feel free to E-mail me direct and I thank-you in advance for your
>efforts!
>
>David

---

From: "Brian A. Rock" <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jul 95 08:01:45 CDT

>Please feel free to E-mail me direct and I thank-you in advance for your

What kind of help are you looking for?  Advice is easy and cheap!

Some advice:

Have students take as many English, mathematics, and science (including
physics) courses as possible.  Have them take one course in CAD, but
also a course in freehand sketching.  Don't try to teach them "archi-
tecture" because the first year of studio is intended to break all
preconceptions.

For your students who are interested in the technical or construction
aspects of buildings, have them consider architectural engineering.

Students should apply for admission early in their second to last 
semester.

You and your students can get more information on the architecture and 
architectural engineering programs at KU from:

Lois Clark, Asst. Dean
School of Architecture and Urban Design
The University of Kansas
Marvin Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045
(913) 864-5126

-- 

*************************************************************************
Brian A. Rock, Ph.D., P.E.   Voice:  (913) 864-3434
The University of Kansas     Fax:    (913) 864-5099
Architectural Engineering    E-mail: [email-masked]
Marvin Hall                  HomePage: http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~barock
Lawrence, Kansas 66045-2222  Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU!
*************************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (WHannon)
Date: 25 Jul 1995 17:43:30 -0400

Harvards GSD has a summer program "Career Discovery" that exposes students
to architecture, city planning, and landscape architecture. Also the
Boston Architectural Center was exploring the idea of establishing a "high
school of design"