Subject: Re: Virtual Architecture

From: Bob Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Apr 1995 18:56:52 GMT

[email-masked] (Sasha Akhavi) wrote:
I don't think any new media is going to replace any older ones at all.
Just look at the culture you live in, radio didn't replace books, TV
didn't replace movies, the Internet hasn't replaced printed materials,
ironicaly print publishers are making a fortune printing paper telling
us all about the post paper medium.

In absolute AND per capita numbers, there are more books and magazines
produced than before electronic communications became mainstream.
Slides and models will merrily coexist with VR, digital media, and
whatever else comes along. As your question about stereo lithography
output pointed out, the new technologies will energize the old ones.
Does any publisher today operate without digital compositing and 
computer driven linotypes.

Look for what the new media can do that goes undone today. 

And one thing you can be sure of, Talent comes much more dearly than 
Technology. Intelligence and insights will be the basis of all kinds
of trades more than ever before. If anything, the people who hope to
make a living simply operating a widget maker either analogue or 
digital are going to have a much tougher road than the folks who 
decide if, how, and what kinds of widgets we make.

Good Luck

Bob