Subject: alternative housing

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Sep 1996 02:55:24 GMT

with the skyrocketing costs of affordable housing construction in the U.S. those of us asssociated with Habitat for Humanity are interested  in a collaboration of the best and brightest to reasearch, design and construct affordable housing for the next century. If NASA and other agencies can arrive at cost effective solutions to major deisgn problems then the housing industry should have no difficulty in brainstroming hi-tech solutions that permit our nation's deserving families from obtaining their own housing.

email me with your address and ideas shuod you have ideas and/or information pertaining to this subjedt. thanks, hank miller email:[email-masked]   brightest
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This article was posted to Usenet via the Posting Service at Deja News:
    http://www.dejanews.com/      [Search, Post, and Read Usenet News!]

---

From: [email-masked] (KathyGing)
Date: 3 Sep 1996 05:24:31 -0400

Several of us in Eugene, OR  are interested in forming an ad hoc club this
fall to discuss starting a different
version of Habitat for Humanity that would not require
one to be poor or to have a Christian bent.  It could involve 
strawbale houses which seem to be a housebuilding 
technique that invites work parties.  It could involve
keeping track of credit hours so that one can eventually
get one's house built. 

I am a Realtor and know that MANY people cannot afford
houses - we need some architects to start an Architecture
for the Poor web site and to help with new paradigms. 

There are several owner builder schools in the U.S. - U of Oregon
Architecture Dept. thru the Spectrum newsletter put together a good list
about a year ago.
One is:  Yestermorrow Center  RR 1  Box 97-5, Warren, VT 05674 
802-496-5545 ; fax: 802-296-5540    
A Vermont owner/builder school providing classes in straw bale
construction. http://www.genghis.com/BigPicture/layout.htm
Director Gunnar Hubbard is a UO Arch graduate.

If you have ideas about:
1. low cost passive solar and minimum toxic manufactured housing  and
2. formats for this type co-op
OR would like to help start this group,
pls e-mail me at my other address:   [email-masked].  

Typical manufactured homes lack the creative vision
and the solar flair that can create what Bruce Anderson 
has called solar living - the highest quality of life
imaginable. (I understand that the learning curve left
us with a lot of over heated houses, but can't we use the skills that
allowed us to go to Mars and the moon to implement Nick Pine's vision of
solar energy for all energetic souls and not just for those who qualify
for tax credits?)

Kathy Ging, M.A., Realtor with an ORGANIC vision
working for energy, food, economic and shelter self-reliance in Eugene,
OR.  Secretary, NW Eco-Building Guild, Eugene chapter  [email-masked] 
(or occasionally:  [email-masked]).