Subject: ECO-RESOURCES including strawbale

From: Kathy Ging <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 00:40:15 -0700

CRBT OFFERS BUILDING MATERIAL GUIDE

Builder Steve Loken founded the Missoula, Montana-based organization 
called the Center for Resourceful Building 
Technology (CRBT) in 1990. CRBT is a clearinghouse for new 
building material ideas. Loken's own demonstration
home features slate-like roofing made from recycled wood fiber
and concrete, siding from recovered wood fiber and cement, and 
wall tile recycled from car windshields. His energy efficient house has a 
furnace, but it stays comfortable in winter with just
ambient and solar heat. 

The Center publishes a 110-page "Guide to Resource Efficient 
Building Elements" for $25 (plus $3
shipping and handling) from CRBT, Dept P, PO Box 100, Missoula 
MT 59806.-  Parade Magazine, 3/3, 1996, p. 4, by Seth Shulman.

This outfit has a lot of interesting green products and a catalog:
Environmental Construction Outfitters, 44 Crosby St.,  6th Fl New York NY 
10012 212-334-9659; 800-238-5008; fax: 212-226-8084

NW Eco-Building Guild 217 Ninth Ave. N Seattle  WA 98109  206-622-8350 
has a directory and a quarterly journal  206-622-8350.
$45 yr or $20 student. (Eugene has a chapter under this.)

IRIS UPDATES REDI-PRODUCT DATABASE
Iris Communications has released REDI 96, a newly updated green building 
products database. REDI 96 identifies companies that offer recycled 
content, energy and water saving, and low toxicity
products. Iris Communications offers the database as a book or 
disk for $49. For more information email [email-masked]. Iris also 
offers free use of REDI 96 on the World Wide Web
at http://www.oikos.com.   - Green Design, Winter 1996, p. 10.
Iris in its redi guide has 1700 green products on line.

Real Goods Trading Corporation,
Products & Information for Energy Independence Since 1978:
555 Leslie Street, Ukiah, California,
95482  orders  800-762-7325 [email-masked]
fax  707-468-9394   http://www/well.com/user/realgood/
business  707-468-9292.  In Eugene: Real Goods, 77  W  Broadway
97401  541-334-6960.

Subscribe free to Greenclips even if one is not an AOL member:
[email-masked] GreenClips is a summary of recent articles in the
media on sustainable building design - green architecture - and related 
government and business issues. This digital news digest is published 
every two weeks. 
Architectural researcher and environmental consultant Chris Hammer of
Sustainable Design Resources publishes GreenClips in San Francisco. Ms.
Hammer helps building owners, designers, builders, and facility managers
practice sustainable building design, construction, and operation. For more
information about her expertise and services call 415.928.7941.

Two Internet sites host GreenClips archives for reference and research:
http://solstice.crest.org/sustainable/greenclips/info.html
gopher://gopher.igc.apc.org/11/environment/pubs
EcoNet's gopher archive of GreenClips is Eco-Network's 1995 "Coolest Digital
News Digest Gopher Site"!

Another favorite:  Environmental Building News -
excellent, and they have a handy bibliography of books and pubs.
RR 1, Box 161 Brattleboro, VT 05301 tel: 802-257-7300; 257-7304  fax .   
$60 a yr. Back issues available - one on strawbale.

Building with Nature, newsletter by Carol Venolia, architect,
author of book, Healing Environments POB 369 Gualala, CA 95445
707-884-4513. One issue was on strawbale.

Environmental Building Supplies 1314 NW NORTHRUP Portland  OR
97209 tel:503-222-3881 fax: 541-222-3756
- a more local version of the NY company (different companies)
- visit their warehouse if you go to Portland

B. J. Harris, The Harris Directory, Stafford-Harris, Inc.
218 Polk Street #326,Port Townsend, WA 98368 (360) 279-8541 (new numbers 
7/96). Extensive  list of recycled-content building products & materials, 
updated every 6 mos.  Available for all computer platforms, in database & 
>spread-sheet formats. Price includes semi-annual update.  DOS or MAC -$69
database. Shipping additional.

9/96 Sustainable Systems Support has many resources available
on straw bale construction. Steens  Book *The Straw Bale House*, 
their own Videos: *The Elegant Solution* and a How To called *How To 
Build Your Elegant Home with Straw Bales.* They carry Matts Myhrman & 
Steve McDonald*s Build it With Bales. They also have a brochure with 14 
home designs for sb construction called the Plan Booklet, and much more.

Sustainable Systems Support has produced a comprehensive 90 minute 
*How-To*video for straw bale construction, made for the owner-builder. 
The video comes with a 60 page design and construction manual.  This 
package addresses both load-bearing and post-and-beam techniques, and 
provides clear footage of each step, abundant illustrations, recipes, and 
discussions of principles, options, and other sustainable elements 
throughout.  The video is divided 
into different phases, including: design guidelines, foundation, bale 
wall-raising, top plate and roof, electrical, stucco/plaster, and 
finishing touches.  He and his partner Carol Escott put this together in 
1994 in response to a need, and distilled down their experience building 
over 25 straw bale homes since 1988.

Get it from the for $59 plus $5 shipping and handling by writing:
  Sustainable Systems Support
        P.O. Box 318       Bisbee, AZ 85603

(Someone got the video and applauded it - different from Strawbale II 
which is a montage of interviews with SB home owners - including
2 separate women who built their homes for 10k each!)

Maybe put an ad in the paper and collect names of those who
want to exchange work credits. And/or hold a workshop which
is the way a lot of people get their houses half or totally built.

These folks do workshops (as do many others):
GreenFire Institute 1509 Queen Anne Ave  N #606 Seattle  WA
98109  206-284-7470 Ted Buchart 206-284-7470.
Peg Roberts at the Greenfire Institute:
email:[email-masked]

Thomas J. Hahn, Jr. RA, president  602-257-9635
[email-masked]
architecture building consulting for resource efficiency
         The Last Straw - The Journal of Straw Bale Construction
               P.O. Box 42000, Tucson, AZ  85733-2000, USA
        (520) 882-3848            [email-masked] (email)
Make checks or money orders payable to
  ($28/year in US, $33/yr in Canada, $43/yr other)
520-624-1673  - I think they just published an issue that has
resources of people around the country who have permitted their
names to be used.

It is free to subscribe to the strawbale mailing list, send an email to
                        [email-masked]
        with the message:
                        subscribe strawbale
        If you'd prefer the digest form, make the message:
                        subscribe strawbale-digest

 Kathy Ging  Secretary, NW Eco-Building Guild, Eugene chapter
 Realtor with an ORGANIC vision   541-342-8461  [email-masked]

---

From: Janet Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 07:25:17 -0700

I've recently returned from a visit to Hollyhock Holistic Learning 
Center.  Currently under construction is a lovely Sanctuary using the 
ancient Cob House techniques - the structure is curvy and organic and 
very inviting.  Is there anyplace on the WEB with more info on these 
techniques?  I'd love to live in a structure like it!

---

From: [email-masked](Joe Hindorff)
Date: 17 Sep 1996 23:42:34 GMT

-- 
Hi Janet: 
 
Try http://deatech.com/cobcottage/ 
 
Good luck 

Joe  
 
"All anger is fear, and all fear is fear of loss" 
                                        Richard Bach

---

From: [email-masked] (M J Epko)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 00:07:18 GMT

On Sep 17, 1996 07:25:17, Janet Carter <[email-masked]> wrote: 

>
>>... Is there anyplace on the WEB with more info on these  

										[so would I]

>Try http://deatech.com/cobcottage/ 

	A *very* good site, and its webmaster, Shannon, is most friendly and
helpful.  There is a cob construction newsgroup as well (just a couple
weeks old) ... there should be subscription details at the address Joe
gave, and if there aren't, email Shannon from there.

	Another cob site:
http://www.teleport.com/~sparking/cob/door.html

M J

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul G.McHenry)
Date: 20 Sep 1996 23:04:17 GMT

I Currently under construction is a lovely Sanctuary using the 
>techniques?  I'd love to live in a structure like it!
 
Hi there...
Cob buildings are a form of earthen wall buildings, like adobe or Rammed Earth.
Earth buildings are found all over the world, in almost every climate.

Suggest you look at the Earth Architecture Center International Home Page.

Paul G. McHenry