Subject: Re: Gunnite and ferrocement shells

From: [email-masked] (David.Heizer)
Date: 26 Mar 1996 23:17:42 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, James D. Logan writes: 
 
>    I've been looking through all the library sources on ferrocement  
>construction of both boat hulls and buildings and have been wondering if  
>gunnite would work and what the techniques would be? Where can I find the 

>equipment? Can it be rented. What about cost estimation? Any ideas or  
>sources would be greatly appreciated. 
> 
>James Logan 
 
Gunnite works *great*, and *has* been used. Roger Dean has some nice
chapters on design possibilities using the stuff in his books Views and
Magnetic Storm, and James Hubbell, a sculptor in California profiled on
public television a couple of years ago, has been building private
dwellings using mixtures of gunnite/ferrocement and other, natural
materials. Also, I'm pretty sure just from walking through it that JFK
airport in New York City (that famous, organic-shaped terminal) must have
also been built out of gunnite. 
 
As for sources of practical information: I am as woefully clueless as you.
Hey, everybody, send me what you send James? And James, any useful leads
you could e-mail me would be appreciated. Thanks a million. 
 
P.S. Try the swimming-pool manufacturing industry for rental of equipment.
(Yes, it can be rented; it consists of a compressor that "spits" fairly dry
concrete onto/into your chicken-wire framework, which you can then trowel
smooth.) 
 
-------------------- 
Illegitimi non carborundum! 
 
David Heizer 
New York City

---

From: "Thomas A. Rice" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Mar 1996 02:52:29 GMT

I seem to be having problems emailing Mr. Logan, Problems?  I am 
interested in alt home construction, mono-domes, etc.  Help?!?