Subject: Lkg 4 Alt-Arch friendly programs

From: [email-masked] (David.Heizer)
Date: 20 Mar 1996 15:32:10 -0500

Greetings. Forgive my posting the first time I entered this newsgroup, but
I don't see a FAQ. 
 
I have long been a fan of alternative architecture, ever since I discovered
the alien yet cozy forms of Roger Dean and, later, the [actually built]
work of James Hubbell. Hubbell introduced to me the idea of working natural
materials into his gunnite organic forms, which I adore. I have long
dreamed of creating an intentional community, with an Earth-friendly,
eco-spiritual slant, and these structures seem more like a living,
breathing part of their environment than fortresses against the hostile
elements. 
 
My conundrum has always been: where to find more information/schooling? I
find earlier architectural forms (with the exception of certain forms of
vernacular) often quaint but not appropriate for the 21st century, and I
*DETEST* the bauhaus and all its illegitimate progeny. Yet this is what
schools at large seem to be continuing to churn out, and I understand the
Owner Builder movement considers formal architectural training something of
a creative handicap. Can anyone suggest academic programs that truly
nurture and liberate the alternative architectural mind, or other paths to
learning how to actually start building wonderful things? Newsletters, book
sources, etc.? Builders desperate for cheap, dedicated help (i.e.,
apprenticeships)? 
 
Many thanks in advance for any advice that is forthcoming. 
 
-------------------- 
Illegitimi non carborundum

---

From: [email-masked] (DDarrelD)
Date: 21 Mar 1996 14:09:09 -0500

San Francisco Institute of Architecture is exactly what you're looking
for.