Subject: Re: ferro-cement

From: [email-masked] (Elaine Marie Gallegos)
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 03:45:43 GMT

TomMcM ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]> Richard Austin <[email-masked]>
: writes:
: >The addition of fibers at 5-6% by weight can be substituted for
: >metal mesh. You may be able to find reprocessed polyester fibers
: >really cheap. Polyester fibers have been shown to work well...

: In my experience you need to have the mesh to make the shape and to hold
: the mortar in place. Fibers are really great though for making the "mud"
: stick where you want it and stay in place. 
: Tom McMillan    [email-masked]
  
  I really love this newgroup....
Sure would like to build a residence using this sort of technology.

---

From: [email-masked] (TomMcM)
Date: 9 May 1995 01:10:50 -0400

In article <[email-masked]> Richard Austin <[email-masked]>
writes:
>The addition of fibers at 5-6% by weight can be substituted for
>metal mesh. You may be able to find reprocessed polyester fibers
>really cheap. Polyester fibers have been shown to work well...

In my experience you need to have the mesh to make the shape and to hold
the mortar in place. Fibers are really great though for making the "mud"
stick where you want it and stay in place. 
Tom McMillan    [email-masked]

---

From: Richard Austin <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 May 1995 04:49:45 GMT

> Tom McMillan    [email-masked]

You need mesh and rebar unless you make forms to cast the panels.
These can become cladding panels or structural. In Germany a large
pavillion was constructed over 100 feet in diameter only 10 mm thick!
This was using fiberglas fibers which has been accepted in Europe and is
just finding a home here in the U.S.

The best source of information is the engineering technical literature.
There is a special interest group on fiber cement and even ASTM standards
for strength, etc. Much of the research has been in response to the
ban on asbestos. Replacement fibers are needed, especially those which
are not as brittle as asbestos.

In my research, polyester fits the bill. Especially because so much
is recycled. It has good characteristics. Be aware that much of the
technical literature parroted old misinformation from the past.

Even burlap and other natural fibers have been used such as jute, sisal
and hemp. All work well but lack durability. With lower strength fibers
more must be used.

Be aware that you cannot mix 5-6% fibers by weight into a wet mix.
Or even dry mix for that matter. They will ball and make an unworkable
mix, you must be apply as the fibers as the material is applied.

The best way to do that is to spray the mix (gunnite essentially) while
spraying fibers (with fiberglas they use a chopper gun).
Latex is good to apply to the fibers to improve bonding.

---

From: Richard Austin <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 May 1995 04:49:53 GMT