Subject: Building An Underground Home.

From: [email-masked] (Gremlin)
Date: 24 Mar 1996 21:10:56 GMT

Hi All,

I am looking for information about designing and building an underground
home. I know the advantages of having one, its just that I cannot find any
information about how to design and build one. I have been to the local
library and they have no information about books and organisations that
could help me.

Does anyone out there know of:
 
  (a) Any relevant books.
  (b) The Names and Addresses Of Organisations that could help.
  (c) Any Internet sites that could help me.

Thank you in advance.

Gary.

-- 
The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost. Amen.

---

From: Joseph A Beeler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 22:11:41 -0400

Gremlin wrote:

>   (c) Any Internet sites that could help me.

Hi Gary,

Sorry it took so long to respond but most of my books are in storage.  
I have a several books on the topic of undreground homes, but I could 
only find two.

The first is "earth sheltered housing design"  from the underground 
space center at the university of minnesota.  My edition was printed 
in 1978.  The Center presents itself as a resource.

It's address is:

The Underground Space Center
11 Mines and Metallurgy Building
221 Church Street S E
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455

My second book is "Alternative Housebuilding" by Mike McClintock.  
This book has a small chapter that includes earth shelters tward its 
end.  It contains a list of several books incluuding:

Build it Underground, David Carter (Sterling Publishing

Constructing Earth Sheltered Housing with Concrete (Portland Cement 
Association, 54420 Old Orchard RD., Skokie, IL 60076

The Earth Shelter Handbook, Tri/Arch Associates (Tech/Data 
Publications, 6324 W.Fond du Lac, Milwaukee, WI

Earth Shelter Facts Sheets, Department of Energy and the Underground 
Space Center

Earth Sheltered Homes, Underground Space Center (Van Nostrand 
Reinhold)

Earth sheltered Structures, Lester L Boyer (Schoool of Architecture, 
Division of Engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 
74078)

Home in the Earth, Larry S. Chalmers, Jeremy A Jones (Cronicle Books)

and others.  

I hope this is enough to get you started.  I don't know of any web 
sites at the moment but you whould be able to get in touch with the 
Underground Space Center via the University of Minnesota.

Good Louk

Joe Beeler
[email-masked]

---

From: Joseph A Beeler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 22:12:49 -0400

Gremlin wrote:

Hi Gary,

It's address is:

and others.  

Good Luck

Joe Beeler
[email-masked]

---

From: NatureRat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 12:19:20 -0500

>   (c) Any Internet sites that could help me.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again and again (becuase I really respect 
and admire this guy!)  go buy one or more of Malcom Wells books on the subject... or 
simply call him at 508-896-6850 and buy one of his books from him!

[email-masked]

---

From: Dusty Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 23:48:32 -0800

I would be willing to help in all aspects of this   I am an architecture 
student at Texas Tech University in Lubbock Texas    There are numerous 
"underground" homes here and I have a couple of friends that have the 
same thing in Colorado and Utah. If interested please contact 
[email-masked]