Subject: Seeking non-toxic plywood

From: [email-masked] (Art Mulder)
Date: 29 May 1995 19:09:44 GMT

I am interested in locating plywood that does not contain
formaldehyde.  I understand that the glues used in most plywood is
formaldehyde-based.

Does anyone have any pointers to manufacturers or suppliers of such?
Sources in Canada are especially attractive, given my residence there!
:-) This would be for furniture making (eg: book shelves) so "nice"
plywood is the goal.

I know, I could use solid wood, but even if I use solid wood to make
the book shelves (for example) it would be nice to put a piece of 1/4"
plywood on the back.

Lacking that, is there any way to tell, short of calling the
manufacturer, what kind of glue is used in a plywood, when you browse
the lumberyard (ie: tags, stamps, etc)??

Thanks!
...art ([email-masked])

ps: my concern is with outgassing, in case you were wondering.  
--
..art mulder ( [email-masked] ) ( http://web.cs.ualberta.ca/~art/ )
              ( Postmaster, News admin, Webmaster, Ftp admin, ...      )
              ( Computer Operations, CS Dept, U of Alberta, Edmonton   )

---

From: [email-masked] (JoeVance)
Date: 29 May 1995 19:26:48 -0400

Do you have to have plywood?  If you can use particle board, contact the
Medite Corporation, 800-676-3339.  They have both an interior and exterior
product in varying thicknesses.  It smells great!  I have used it on many
jobs and have had no problems.  NO off-gassing.

Joe Vance