Subject: Any Opinions on Howard Roark?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 95 06:35:41 GMT

I'm doing research on the influence 
of Ayn Rand's _The Fountainhead_ in 
the architectural field, and I was 
wondering if anyone has any 
opinions on the book, the 
characters, or anything connected 
with it. I have read articles 
saying "Howard Roark is dead," and 
also heard glowing tributes from 
practicing architects. How do *you* 
feel about it? Thanks in advance 
for your comments.

Dr. J. S. Robbins
Fletcher School

---

From: [email-masked] (Jimbo45)
Date: 13 Aug 1995 10:47:41 -0400

One could write a book about this topic.   I would hope that Howard,
practicing architecture today, would have a different set of priorities
and values.  Architects today are burdened by the public conception that
architects are always seeking a new architectual statement and building
monuments.   Responsible design today has more to do with environment,
social resposibilities, site and cultural context, "green architecture",
energy conservation, adaptive reuse of facilities and materials. When we
were young we all wanted to be like Howard, but he didnt live in the same
world that we do.  And its not getting any easier.