Subject: Re: anti-EMF/EMI wiring

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 95 13:48:05 PDT

In article <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> writes:
> Path: 
news.halcyon.com!nwnexus!news.sprintlink.net!parsifal.nando.net!grail816
> From: [email-masked] (paul milligan)
> Newsgroups: alt.architecture.alternative
> Subject: Re: anti-EMF/EMI wiring
> Date: 19 Mar 1995 07:50:17 GMT
> Organization: News & Observer Public Access
> Lines: 38
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> References: <[email-masked]>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: grail816.nando.net
> X-Newsreader: News Xpress Version 1.0 Beta #3
> 
> In article <[email-masked]>,
>    Andrew MacMillen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ~~For thos of you who have responded to my post thank you. Also my aplogies 
> ~~for the timeless quality of the post. Apparentley Paranet in Japan is 
> ~~creating spurious echoes of old postings. I originally sent the EMF post 
> ~~in Jan.
> 
> ~~                        MINIMIZING HOME EMF EXPOSURE
> ~~                      COPYRIGHT 1995 BY ANDREW MACMILLEN
> 
> ~~   Wiring: Keep high load wiring from the main panel to a subpanel or to
> ~~   high current appliances away from frequently used spaces.
> 
> Does this include stoves and kitchens ?  Where should the electric stove
> be kept ?
> 
> ~~ Avoid
> ~~   using devices such as alarm clocks or electric blankets near the bed.
> 
> You were on a roll up until now.  Where should they be, the garage ?
> 
> 
> ~~   Select energy efficient equipment. Select computer equipment that
> ~~   meets Swedish EMF standards. Request EMF specifications for all
> ~~   appliances. Provide switches for phantom loads such as TV's, VCR's
> ~~   etc. (possibly only one outlet of a duplex receptacle). If desired,
> ~~   install demand switches for bedroom wiring.
> 
> What exactly is a phantom load ?
> 
> Are EMF specs available for hot water heaters ?  Light bulbs ?
> 
> What is a demand switch for bedroom wiring ?  
> 
> Really , much of what you wrote is inherent in modern wiring practice,
> if not actually required by code ( your grounding comments, etc.).
> 
> The rest of it makes no sense at all.  No sense at all.
I disagree.   It all makes great sense.   I have used many of these ideas in my 
cabin and have found that there are other advantages to using these techniques 
like cleaner power (less RF noise).   If you are trying to save energy, 
reducing phantom loads can be a great help.   As for using an electric range or 
hot water heater, they are lame to begin with.   Using electricity to generate 
heat is a fools game.   While my electric friends keep paying the POWER 
companies ransom every month I continue to get my energy from the sun, wind, 
and rain.   Lets all hope that Andrew keeps up his good work for the people who 
care and care to know.   For the rest, press Ctrl-N.

---

From: Andrew MacMillen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 12:33:54 -0800

For thos of you who have responded to my post thank you. Also my aplogies 
for the timeless quality of the post. Apparentley Paranet in Japan is 
creating spurious echoes of old postings. I originally sent the EMF post 
in Jan.

Since I have received many requets for the info sheet I have since 
generated, and since I have seen several inconsistencies posted herein, I 
have attached the text only vesion of my guide. Enjoy.

                        MINIMIZING HOME EMF EXPOSURE
                      COPYRIGHT 1995 BY ANDREW MACMILLEN
                                       
   (Note: Figures not included in this online version.)
   
   Although the research regarding dangers from Electro-Magnetic Fields
   (EMF) is inconclusive, there are simple, low cost solutions that
   minimize EMF exposure for both new and existing houses.
   
   Home electrical wiring produces two different fields: electric fields
   from the voltage, and magnetic fields based on current flow or
   amperage. 60 Hz AC electrical fields are faint, are attenuated
   significantly by most building materials, and are generally not
   considered harmful. However, research has determined probable
   biological effects from magnetic fields. Magnetic fields are generated
   by house wiring when current flows, either because of loads, or from
   unbalanced circuits as in Figure 1, plus the positioning of the hot
   and neutral conductors. More current produces higher magnetic fields.
   And the greater the separation of the conductors, the less
   cancellation of the field and therefore greater magnetic fields over
   greater distances.
   
   Some simple strategies to help alleviate any risks are: always pair
   hot and neutral leads to help cancel magnetic fields; provide a
   single, strong ground point; keep high current loads and their wiring
   away from frequented areas; always try to achieve below a 2 milligaus
   field at 2 feet.
   
   The following are specific suggestions to minimize the level of EMF
   exposure. Always follow local electric code.
   
   Site: Determine sources of magnetic fields such as power lines,
   transformers, or substations on or near the building site. A gauss
   meter will determine the level and locations of magnetic fields. Site
   the building farthest away from magnetic fields. Note: buried power
   cables are not necessarily effective in reducing magnetic fields.
   
   Service Drop & Panels: Use bundled and twisted power cable drops to
   reduce field generation. Keep the drop, meter and service panels, and
   subpanels away from normally occupied rooms (e.g. mount on a garage or
   utility room wall). Balance 120 VAC branch circuits on each side of
   the 120/240 panel for normal usage patterns in the house.
   
   Grounds: Install a thorough ground rod. Never provide a separate
   ground for subpanels (i.e. tie subpanel circuit grounds to the ground
   bussbar, which connects only to the main service panel ground).
   Install an insulated bushing at the water meter to keep current
   imbalances from returning on the water pipes (for metal water pipes;
   not needed if plastic). Prevent metal sheathed cabling from contacting
   water pipes, electrical conduit, or appliances and providing a
   separate ground path.
   
   Wiring: Keep high load wiring from the main panel to a subpanel or to
   high current appliances away from frequently used spaces. Avoid
   separating hot & neutral wires; ensure that there is always a supply
   and return current in all wiring runs. Since three way switches wired
   per Figure 1 generate a current loop and magnetic field, install three
   way switches using three conductor cable between the switches as shown
   in Figure 2. Wire long runs with 2 two conductor cables per Figure 3,
   not 240 unbalanced split circuits as in Figure 4. Remove knob-and-tube
   wiring, which generates high magnetic fields due to conductor
   separation, and is less safe than current wiring practices.
   
   Loads: Locate high load appliances such as electric dryers and
   electric hot water heaters away from bedrooms, kitchens, etc. Avoid
   using devices such as alarm clocks or electric blankets near the bed.
   Select energy efficient equipment. Select computer equipment that
   meets Swedish EMF standards. Request EMF specifications for all
   appliances. Provide switches for phantom loads such as TV's, VCR's
   etc. (possibly only one outlet of a duplex receptacle). If desired,
   install demand switches for bedroom wiring.

++++++++++++++++
Andrew MacMillen
Holistic Homes Design
lo-tox & alt matls; Permaculture; Feng-Shui
[email-masked]
http://www.efn.org/~andrewm
++++++++++++++++