Subject: Sustainable Remodeling

From: [email-masked] (Bob Michaelis)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 21:09:43

I'm looking ofr sources and information on sustainable building and 
remodeling.  I'm particularly interested in suggestions and 
techniques for dealing with construction waste.  Thanks.

---

From: Martin Dreiling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 21:40:43

>techniques for dealing with construction waste.  Thanks.

Our starting point, in the context of typical American construction,  
is aggressive design. We examine the  needs and desires of the 
client/user with a constant eye for what is already there. We place a 
lot of emphasis on examining usage patterns and immediate culture to, 
first, find ways in which lifestyle may adapt to an existing place.

We see this as a kind of micro-environmentalism: starting with the 
place: the existing habitat as the absolute. The human is seen as the 
highly adaptable and flexible entity.

So often the architectural "problem" is one of perception rather than 
reality. Owners often can't imagine their current space serving their 
perceived needs.  If we were to ask clients what quantity os space 
they need, we would typically satisfy their actual needs in half that 
space. I lose much work by showing my clients the value in what they 
already have. Oh, well.

Of course this doesn't eliminate the dumpster. We also try to 
convince builders to reuse removed materials and to place waste 
materials on a site in such a way that they can be scavenged prior to 
going in the dumpster. We deal with several builders who routinely 
recycle used fixtures. We have also found that Asian crews are much 
better at reusing materials. They tend to have a cultural bias 
against waste.

An interesting side issue: We have stumbled into some specific ADA 
work in relation to other projects and are shocked at what an 
environmental disaster the ADA can be. If done by the book, which we 
refuse to do, the ADA will be responsible for large quantities of 
solid waste.

We see businesses, cities, schools, every kind of building type 
undertaking renovations for strict compliance with the ADA.   Schools 
that were built in the fifties with some of the best construction and 
most substantial materials around are being modified to correct a 
small dimensional discrepency. Entire toilet rooms are gutted: 
structural tile, finishes, partitions, windows; all of the finest 
quality, go into the dumpster. Sinks, toilets, drinking fountains, 
rough plumbing parts, rough electrical parts; all thrown away, most 
for modifications that increase access for wheelchairs only.

Many facilities are do more than is necessary, certainly more than 
the actual user needs require, out of fear of litigation. After all, 
there is no specific code, only guidelines.

I am very curious of the environmental impact of the ADA has ever 
been compared to the actual benefits of compliance.

Martin Dreiling
Mdreiling @gnn.com
Of course that's just my opinion

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 30 Mar 1996 00:00:26 GMT

>been compared to the actual benefits of compliance.

If you think the ADA is bad for the environment, 
you should take a look at Hospital construction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
W. E. (Ted) Blockley AIA, Architect           Email: [email-masked]
Bakersfield CA                                Phone: (805) 322-9373
----------------------------------------------------------------------------