Subject: Underground Architecture Info Needed

From: fiasco (fiasco)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 01:50:48 GMT

I'm looking for information on underground architecture, both contemporary
and historic, both of a general nature and also on a specific subject:
Chinese railroad workers building underground homes during turn of the
century southwestern USA RR construction.

Any info on sources and other research advice welcome. Thanks!

-matt coolidge ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Deborah Blair)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 04:33:53 -0700

A group of First Nations (Indians) named the Lillooet from British Columbia
Canada were a gathering and hunting peoples that in the winter time would 
move into underground houses were they would live until spring.

I have very little information on this. My source for this knowledge is 
a book called * Sound Heritage: Voices from British Columbia *

Museums woulod be one source I imagine. If you wish I will type out 
condensed  discription from the book of the construction.
-- 
==========================================================================
We don't see things as they are;
We see things as we are.
==========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Zingg)
Date: 1 Aug 1995 12:42:51 GMT

fiasco (fiasco) wrote:
: I'm looking for information on underground architecture, both contemporary
: and historic, both of a general nature and also on a specific subject:
: Chinese railroad workers building underground homes during turn of the
: century southwestern USA RR construction.

: Any info on sources and other research advice welcome. Thanks!

: -matt coolidge ([email-masked])

Matt, I'd also like to know of any underground architecture references. 
Although I'd be mostly interested in the design and engineering aspects.
Dave

---

From: fiasco (fiasco)
Date: 1 Aug 1995 06:52:13 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Deborah

> condensed  discription from the book of the construction.

Thanks for the lead. Dont go through the trouble of typing it out. I will
seek out the publication if I need to. Are there particular museums or
academics you would recommend for more information, especially of a more
modern variety?

Matt Coolidge ([email-masked])

---

From: fiasco (fiasco)
Date: 2 Aug 1995 04:10:48 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Dave Zingg)

> Although I'd be mostly interested in the design and engineering aspects.

I will post references when I get them. So far I have found little. What is
your interest in underground building, Dave?

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Paetzold)
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 1995 19:13:57 +0100

> Any info on sources and other research advice welcome. Thanks!

Hi Matt,

I have some infos for you about underground-architecture. There are a few
articles about it in the german magazin db 11/93 (deutsche bauzeitung):
- underground storage for oil in Norge
- purification plant at Stavanger, Norge
- gymnasium in Gjovik, Norge
- Matisse museum, Nizza, France
- Conference-centre in St-Germain, Paris, France
- Visitorcentre at Otterlo, Netherlands
- Citymuseum at Rottenburg am Neckar, Germany
- Trainstation Urgell, Barcelona, Spain
and there is a book about chinese architecture:
Chao-Kang Chang and Werner Blaser "Tao in architecture" publishers:
Birkhäuser Basel, Boston 1987. In this book is a chapter about cave
dwellings and adobe houses with plans and photos.
I hope this will help you
peter

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Paetzold)
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 1995 19:15:53 +0100

Hi Matt,