Subject: TEMPCOAT a NEW Liquid Ceramic Insulation Coating

From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Jul 1995 20:14:29 GMT

The following is information regarding the newest insulating material on the market which can be 
used on the exterior of buildings (roofs), interior of buildings  (wall insulation), exterior of hot or cold 
piping or any other building, unit or equipment which has an insulation issue.  It can increase 
insulating benefits while reducing required space for insulation materials.

I.  PRODUCT

TEMP-COAT  
Liquid Ceramic Insulation Coating.

II.  AVAILABILITY 

Capitran Inc.
21907 - 64th Ave. W., Suite 100
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
FAX  206-776-6873
PH.   206-776-1258
email address: [email-masked]
Internet address: http://www.hiwaynet.com

III.  DESCRIPTION 

TEMP-COAT  is a general purpose insulation which comes in liquid form, available in regular and 
fireproof formulation.
TEMP-COAT  provides an inexpensive alternative  to the high cost of industrial insulation.  Because 
it physically adheres to the surface that it is insulating, it significantly reduces corrosion  and rust 
formation.  Its use can greatly reduce the costs of other materials and increase the size of an interior 
space by eliminating the thickness of interior walls required to accomodate insulation.  Its use 
reduces both space and weight for any given structure or piece of equipment.  

Make Up:  TEMP-COAT  is a complete mixture of various silicas and ceramic beads immersed in a 
high quality latex base with acrylic binders.  This combination of materials makes the product 
extremely lightweight and pliable, therefore, it expands and contracts with the surface to which it is 
applied.  The resiliency of TEMP-COAT  allows it to double as a leak stop even though it is not sold 
or warranted for that purpose.

Other Properties:  TEMP-COAT  can be  tinted to virtually any medium to pastel color and the tinting 
does not effect the radiant effectiveness of the product.

Product Quality. TEMP- COAT  works well on both convective and conductive heat and cold.  
When used in ways not requiring solar reflective qualities, its effectiveness has different values.  
Unlike conventional insulation such as fiberglass batting, blankets, foam, fiber insulations, or 
calcium silicate type pre-formed insulation for piping, TEMP-COAT  is impervious to water and is not 
affected by salt water.  It forms a continuous covering, not sectioned, like an installed product. It 
also forms an excellent weatherproof coating over other forms of insulation. 

Product Limits:  TEMP-COAT  aids in sealing leaks but is not sold as a leak-stop material.  Product 
must be applied over a clean, dry, grease and dirt fee substrate.  Operating temperatures can be 
>from  -45 F to 550 F.  It can be applied from temperatures ranging from 45 F to 550 F.  On extremely 
warm to hot surfaces, beginning coats must be thin to avoid blistering.

IV.  APPLICATION  Apply TEMP-COAT   on a dry, clean, substrate which is free from oil, grease, 
wax or dirt.  Apply by use of spray equipment.  Spray equipment requirement: 5.4 GPM, 28:1 ratio 
airless sprayer with a .021 tip size.  Allow product to dry between coats.  This is a one coat system 
with curing time of 24 hours under normal conditions.  Brush or roller may be used for touch up, but 
is not recommended for full application.

Approximate Coverage:  Spray:  60 SF per gallon at 15 mil thickness on a flat surface.

Clean-Up:  TEMP-COAT  is a latex based product.  Clean up immediately after use with soap and 
water. Caution::  Use drop cloth and necessary protection  to prevent damage from drips or 
overspray under windy conditions.

V.  TEST RESULTS  TEMP-COAT  has been tested under a number of varying conditions to 
produce an "R" factor equivalence. 

ACCORDING TO TEST RESULTS, TEMP-COAT   WHEN APPLIED TO A THICKNESS OF 15 
MILS, PERFORMS AS WELL AS A 4" THICKNESS OF FOAM WITH AN R-20 RATING.  "R" 
FACTOR EQUIVALENCE NOTE:  Due to the absence of air flow, an "R" factor cannot be used 
and all tests are performed comparing the usefulness of this insulation with an "R" Factor 
Equivalence.

The product has also undergone a number of ASTM tests as follows:
FLAMMABILITY RESULTS TEST METHOD
Flame Spread 5  ASTM E-84
Smoke Developed 5

MECHANICAL PROPERTIES: 
Cross Hatch Adhesion l00% ASTM-3359
Tensile Strength(lb/iný)66.7% ASTM D-882
Elongation      65%

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES: 
Accelerated Aging:  Passed 200 Hours ASTM G-53 
Density (g/cm3)
AT 24c dried film   0.41 ASTM D-792
Weight per Gallon (in lbs. per gal) 5.94
Weight, Non-volatiles 43%
Brookfield  Viscosity
 #3 Spindle @ 30 rpm,
Centipoise     3564 
Thermo Conductivity ASTM  c-177
 (via guarded hotplate)

VI.  OTHER EXCEPTIONAL FEATURES

TEMP-COAT , in addition to its outstanding insulating qualities and superior adhesion, has low flame 
spread, is impact and abrasion resistant, is flexible and protects coated surfaces from ponding 
water, wind driven rain, cold-heat  cycling, chemical vapors, and mildew.  These qualities make it 
the standard in ceramic coatings.  

VII.  SHIPPING AND SUPPLY METHOD

TEMP-COAT  is  available FOB from the point of manufacture in Georgia.

VIII.  WARRANTY

Limited Warranty:  SPAN WORLD DISTRIBUTION,  div. of Southern Professional Leasing, Inc., 
warrants TEMP-COAT as an insulation under normal use and installation conditions for a period of 
ten years from the date of application.  Complete warranty information is  available upon request.

TEMP-COAT  IS A FEDERALLY APPROVED LIQUID INSULATION AND COATING MATERIAL.  
NATIONAL STOCK NUMBER;  NSN 8030-01-387-1027.

IX.  PERFORMANCE INFORMATION

Rooftop  installation:  15 mil thickness will reduce under roof temperatures by 20oF- 50oF.

Boiler installation:  60 mil thickness will reduce exterior boiler wall temperature by 120oF-l50oF. 

RV Installation:  15 mil thickness can provide an R20 insulation factor and increase the interior of 
RV unit by as much as 3 in. in width, depth and length.THE PRODUCT:  TEMP-COAT

-- ENVIRONMENTAL LIQUID INSULATION DEVELOPMENT:  TEMP-COAT  is the result of a 
scientific project, funded by NASA (The National Aeronautics and Space Administration), to 
formulate an insulating material with which to re-coat the ceramic tiles on the U.S. Space Shuttles.  
The project was a success.  The product is currently used by NASA as an insulating material on the 
Space Shuttle's cargo bay. 

PRODUCT COMPOSITION:  Temp-Coat  is a single container, composite product comprised of 
80% innovative, air-filled, microscopic ceramic and silicon beads, held in suspension by latex acrylic 
binder.  The key to Temp-Coat's remarkable insulating capability is in the beads, which serve to 
both encapsulate and "share" the heating/cooling burden.  Temp-Coat achieves its capability to 
adhere to nearly all properly prepared surfaces while remaining flexible as a result of the carefully 
blended combination of latex and acrylics.  Additionally, due to the latex material Temp-Coat  
continually maintains its capability to expand and contract, as necessary, based on the temperature 
conditions of both the atmosphere and the surface to which it is applied.  Temp-Coat's  primary color 
is brilliant white, although it can be tinted to the mid-range of any color. It can also be oversprayed 
with any colored paint to achieve a specific, darker tone, if that is desired.  

APPLICATION:  Temp-Coat  is best applied, in projects of significant size, by use of an airless spray 
unit.  We recommend the use of an airless spray unit with the capacity to pump at least 5.4 gallons 
per minute and utilizing a spray tip of approximately 0.21" (depending on the surface to be coated). 
Temp-Coat  can also be applied using a smooth textured brush or roller.

MIXING:  For ease of mixing and storage, Temp-Coat  is packaged in 5 gallon, hard plastic pails.  
Temp-Coat  is ready to use as it is packaged.  No additives or product combination is required.  
Temp-Coat  is best mixed using a standard "Mud" paddle, (normally used to mix light plaster 
materials or dry wall compound), powered by a 1/2" electric variable speed drill.  The mixing paddle 
should be initially inserted through the "Bead Layer" (upper two thirds) or crust observed at the top 
of the product when the pail is opened.  The mixing paddle should then be manually moved up and 
down a few times through the crust to draw the latex acrylic up from the bottom of the pail.  After 
this is done, the mixing paddle should be operated with the drill at a relatively slow speed to blend 
the material.  Mixing too harshly may crush the insulating beads.  When properly mixed, Temp-Coat  
will have a smooth, creamy texture, with no lumps or foreign matter.  Temp-Coat  is not a paint, it is 
an insulating coating.  Thus it is not desirable to use high speeds with the mud paddle trying to 
make Temp-Coat look like ordinary paint.

SURFACE PREPARATION:  Temp-Coat  will adhere to nearly all types of surfaces: metals, wood, 
plastic, glass, plexiglass, etc.  Surfaces should be prepared in a manner similar to that required for 
proper adhesion of normal paint: clean, free of dirt, rust, grease or other foreign matter such as 
scales, paint chips, etc.  Surfaces must be dry at the time of the application.  Hot metal surfaces 
may require a more thorough preparation, such as wire brushing, to ensure best adhesion.  New 
metal surfaces may require removal of temporary preservative coatings.  A light combination of 
vinegar and water works well.

APPLICATION:  (TECHNIQUES AND POINTERS)  Temp-Coat  is an extremely easy product to 
apply.  The application, temperature parameters for Temp-Coat  allow the product to be applied, in 
most situations, without disrupting service or shutting down a "hot" system.  These application 
parameters are:  45oF. to 550oF.  7.2oC to 288oC.  The drying time for Temp-Coat  will vary 
depending on the temperature of the surface to which it is applied and the ambient temperature and 
humidity in the area.  Temp-Coat  must be applied in successive thin coats, and each coat must be 
allowed to dry prior to application of the next coat.  Temp-Coat  may be applied in as many coats as 
are necessary to accomplish the required surface temperature, allowing great flexibility in the 
treatment of problem areas.  "Curing time" for Temp-Coat  is about 24 hours.   When applying, 
Temp-Coat  to surfaces with an existing temperature of approximately 200 degrees F. (or 93.3 
degrees C.) or more the product will routinely adhere better if a very slight amount of water is added 
for the initial l or 2 coats.  This "slight amount" should be no more than 1 pint of water for 5 gallons 
of Temp-Coat .  1 gallon of Temp-Coat  at a 15-18 mil thickness, will cover approximately 50-60 
square feet (4.65 - 5.58 square meters).  Calculations for applications to corrugated metal surfaces 
(exterior roofs, sidings, etc. should include an additional 20% to allow for the sides of each ridge in 
the panel).  

BENEFITS:  Temp-Coat  is "environmentally friendly", containing no toxic or hazardous substances 
or materials.  Because Temp-Coat adheres directly to the surface it virtually eliminates the potential 
for surface corrosion, unlike "wrapping" type or mastic insulation.  Temp-Coat  significantly reduces, 
or eliminates the possibility for condensation.  Temp-Coat can be used to insulate valves, flanges, 
joints, etc. which cannot otherwise be effectively insulated using "wraps" or mastic insulations.  
Temp-Coat is light in weight (5.94 pounds per gallon) and easy to apply.  Temp-Coat  insulation 
does not require complete removal for surface inspections.  Temp-Coat  can be "touched up" after 
minor structural repairs.  Temp-Coat  is flexible, expands and contracts with the surface.  Temp-Coat 
 is a cost effective, energy efficient product that can be used on a variety of both hot and cold 
surfaces.

IMPRESSIVE RESULTS USING THIS CERAMIC COATING 

ATLANTA GAS LIGHT COMPANY    "Since spraying our roof with your ceramic coating, we have 
had no further water leaks and have reduced our cooling costs considerably.  It is really a fine 
product that performs as promised."  

FINA OIL AND CHEMICAL COMPANY     When applied on hot oil tanks and heater treaters, keeps 
oil at constant temperature, preventing loading difficulties from hardening of oil. 

THE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA  Cooperative Extension Service feed bin test indicates inside air 
space temperature of bin coated was 27 degrees lower than uncoated bin.

EXXON CORPORATION  Reduced oil well pipe line temperatures by over l00 degrees.  Previously, 
the extreme temperature of this well caused all other coatings to fail.  The ceramic coating is 
continuing to provide insulation.

THE GARLINGTON GROUP  ".....sealed roof and stopped water leaks."

SHELL WESTERN  Reduced office building temperature by 20 degrees and reduced highly 
concentrated well head temperature by l00 degrees.

GULF COAST SULPHUR CORPORATION  "Before, one could not place hands closer than l8" to 
300 degree pipes.  After applying this ceramic coating one can easily place hands directly on the 
area.  It is doing an excellent job for us."

DAVIS BROTHERS CONTRACTORS  "This ceramic coating has reduced office temperature by 
30% and electric bill dropped 25%.  Also one coating effectively eliminated roof leaks after several 
attempts with other materials."

JO-DE EQUIPMENT RENTALS  "...Material is easy to apply and so far seems impervious to 
weather conditions."  It reduced temperatures of exhaust systems on offshore drilling equipment 
>from  360 degrees to a temperature that can be touched with bare hands..."We feel this product 
satisfies the requirements of M.M.S. for offshore exhaust insulation."

SOUTH GEORGIA HOMEOWNER  "...I wanted to tell you it really works.  Even before you 
finished, the temperature in the attic was the same as the outside temperature and this is really 
amazing.  I believe a 40% savings is possible on air-conditioning cost."

AMERICAN REFRIGERATION & ICE  Coated top of delivery truck and lowered temperature from 
melting point to steady temperature of 12 degrees eliminating condensation and the loss of several 
sacks of ice.

CAMP SHELBY, MISSISSIPPI  "...find it to be an effective coating for metal, cinder, and concrete. 
 After application of approximately l/8" of ceramic coating, two 24,000 Btu units are adequate for all 
seasons." (three 24,000 Btu units had been inadequate previously).

CORPUS CHRISTI ARMY DEPOT (CCAD)  "Everyone who has visited Building 1200 since our 
roof was treated has volunteered their building for treatment with TempCoat  and Last-A-Span as 
soon as possible."  Since Temp-Coat was applied.  "we have had no leaks and the air conditioning 
system now cycles off and on.  Before the building was treated, the air conditioning system ran all 
day without ever cycling and without very effective cooling."

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Riticher)
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 23:32:18 GMT

>and all tests are performed comparing the usefulness of this insulation with an "R" Factor 

Excuse me, but please explain how "absence of air flow" prevents
testing to determine an R-value.

The real question here is "Has your product been tested in an
independant laboratory to verify your R-value equivalence claims."

You may really have a wonderful product. However, you've not backed up
a pretty big claim here.  15 mil coating = R-20? Wow! How is it done?
What does independant testing reveal?

James J. Riticher, P.E. (Jim)
[email-masked]