Subject: Volunteers for Mozambique - building schools

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Aug 1995 07:11:59 GMT

Hello.
Would you like to join this - or do you know anybody who does ?
Do look here:

 VOLUNTEERS FOR MOZAMBIQUE - BUILDING PROJECT

Development Aid from People to People  (DAPP)  search for 
volunteers to work on a building project in Mozambique. You will 
take part in building schools for children in the northern 
part of Mozambique.
Mozambique is one of the poorest contries in the world and has to 
build and rebuild schools after 10 years of war. The war ended in 1993. 
 
You work together with young Mozambicans. 
No formal qualifications needed.

As a volunteer you take part in the following  12 months programme:

- 5  Months training at The Travelling Folk High School in Denmark.
- 6  Months solidarity work in Mozambique. 
- 1  Month evaluation including information work in Europe.

Start: September 4,1995  and  March 1, 1996.
There are a few vacancies September 4.
 
An important principle of Development Aid from People to People  
is that anyone who wishes to, can become a solidarity worker and 
go to Africa. Regardless of age, academic qualifications or background.
But on the other hand you cannot do the work in Africa without being 
qualified. At the  Travelling Folk High School in Denmark you can
attend a course which will qualify you for your work in Africa.

School fees must be paid for your course at The Travelling Folk 
High School.
In Africa you get free food, accomodation and pocket money.

Please contacts us for further information:
Email: [email-masked]
Mail:  DAPP, Postbox 131, DK-2630 Taastrup, Denmark
Fax:  +45 43 99 59 82
Please mark your message with: SBY-EM

---

From: [email-masked] (George A. Gleason)
Date: 2 Aug 1995 06:56:59 GMT

Sorry to sound like Mr Sceptic here, but re. the Mozambique item, people
considering travel to Africa should be aware that HIV is pandemic and
endemic, and that sanitary precautions in hospitals in many areas are
virtually nonexistant.  Therefore consult an independent physician with some
experience in international health considerations before planning travel,
and consider the possibility of 1) setting aside a quantity of your own
blood for frozen storage where you'll be traveling, in the event you need a
transfusion; and 2) bringing in a full medical kit particularly including a
quantity of hypodermic syringes and injectible acute-care medications in
sealed containers.

If the above message isn't clear enough, here it is in plain language: if
you're traveling in Africa and end up in the hospital for any reason and get
a blood transfusion or injection of medication, there is a substantial
chance you'll end up with AIDS.  Talk to your doctor before considering
travel.

If this sounds vaguely politically incorrect, pardon my french but tough
shit.  Many of my friends in the gay community have lived through a
slaughter over AIDS here, and the only reason the community is still alive
in any sense is that it had the guts to face unpleasant issues squarely and
explicitly, and take the necessary steps in terms of education and lifestyle
adjustments.