Subject: Re: Architects On Line

From: [email-masked] (Nick Birchall)
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 11:30:47 GMT

[email-masked] (Mark Eady) wrote:

>Does the RIBA have a WWW home page?

I *very* much doubt it :-(

> Call back in about ten
> years when they might just have got their drawings collection
> sorted out and can turn their collective skills to something else.

Make that twenty ;-)

I was wandering around last night and noticed that all the various US
architectural professional bodies are on the net.....together with
loads of architects' practices.

Do you know of *any* UK practices that have so much as a home page?

----------------------------------------------
  Nick Birchall
  [email-masked]
  http://www.u-net.com/~birchall/
----------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Petri Sakkinen)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 17:39:30 +0100

Hello, Tim! 

You may -- as a CompuServe subscriber -- have witnessed by exchange uf
unpleasancies with the esteemed non-establishment fighter from the AIA on
CompuServe CAD-forum! Well, I am here as well, ranting and raving about
openness. 

1. Architects should be on line. And in public meetings. And in community
groups. And in local government.

2. Architects (defined as 'people being educated in architectural
departments of reputable universities') should open all channels of
communication with the community at large. If they don't _they_ will be
the losers. (In the long term, the community will also suffer.)  

3. If architects are exclusive, the first people they exclude are
themselves: they exclude themselves from the whole community. The
community won't even notice their pompous, self-important exclusivity.
This is the highway to final obsolescence. (Remember, the last signpost
already said 'Irrelevancy'.) 

Best, 

Petri

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Eady)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 19:44:56 +0100

> Do you know of *any* UK practices that have so much as a home page?

Nope; I think the Architectural profession in the UK believes accessing
the Internet amounts to reading Building Design's smug WWW articles.

If you're interested here's a bunch of 'architectural' URLs saved from
previous postings.

http://www.starlink.it/surfing
http://www.arcadia.polimi.it
http://archpropplan.auckland.ac.nz/
http://archpropplan.auckland.ac.nz/misc/sources1.html
http://www/gsaup.ucla.edu/home
http://flw.badgernet.com/flw
http://arch.buffalo.edu:8001/internet/h_pa_resources.html
http://www.innet.net/brussels-arts
http://www.clr.toronto.edu:1080/VIRTUALLIB/arch.html
http://www.tu-graz.ac.at/Carch

-- 
Mark Eady
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (AMADO1)
Date: 2 Aug 1995 10:20:21 -0400

[email-masked]
mauricio amado 43300 AIA online

I am finding the same resistance with the architectural comunity of my
area (Baton Rouge, LA) to introduce online services and telecomunication
systems for the architectural community.
I am in charge of AIA online Baton Rouge Chapter & I am trying to
implement a a local BBS for the chapter but I have found that the
community does not seem to be ready for this yet.
Do you have any suggestions in how to encourage them?

Arq. Mauricio Amado M.Arch.

---

From: [email-masked] (PDD1)
Date: 2 Aug 1995 19:16:34 -0400

<<I am in charge of AIA online Baton Rouge Chapter & I am trying to
implement a a local BBS for the chapter but I have found that the
community does not seem to be ready for this yet.
Do you have any suggestions in how to encourage them?
Arq. Mauricio Amado M.Arch.>>

Hello from the AIA Long Island Chapter :-)

You pose a loaded question.....if you haven't done so already, check out
AIAOnline and go to the new AIAOnline Users Group Forum....very good
suggestions on how to get fellow members Online....

BTW, were you at the AIA Louisiana Computer Applications Seminar this past
Apri in Baton Rougel? I don't remember your name....when presenting, I get
caught up in the whirlwind...keep in touch and let us know how you're
doing with getting people Online...

Regards,

Paul Doherty, Architect
American Institute of Architects
Garden City, Long Island, New York

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Eady)
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 1995 20:21:05 +0100

> Do you have any suggestions in how to encourage them?

How do those lines from Waynes World 2 and The Field of Dreams go?

'Build it and they will come', well something like that.

I really don't understand why there is so much resistance among
architectural bodies - invent a new building system (curtain walling?) and
everyone goes crazy for it.

I guess the final option is to advertise free sex!

Ok, I know this ain't much help but I'm as frustrated as yourself.

Regards, Mark

-- 
Mark Eady
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (WHannon)
Date: 3 Aug 1995 18:00:52 -0400

Can we include Industrial Design in this section?