Subject: Re: Building Code ??

From: [email-masked] (Maura Gatensby)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 19:49:25 GMT

[email-masked] (Cori Stewart) wrote:

>- What is the smallest dwelling (building with an occupancy of 1 person) 
>that is lawful to build?

Section 3.6 and 9.5  (National Building Code of Canada) give minimum room
dimensions, but there is no requirement that you have a minimum number of rooms.

>- Simply, what are the minimum requirements for water service.  For 
>example ... must there be a flush toilet? or could i get away with a 
>composting toilet in the City?  Must there be water fed in, or could I 
>use a cistern or other water holder to pump or feed my home with water 
>through gravity?

It is not clear in the building code, you have to check with the municipality.
This is covered in the Plumbing Code anyway.

>- What are the minimum requirements for electricity? Must I use the grid 
>within the City or can i use some alternatives like Solar ... or the 
>alternative of no electricity?

The building code does not force you have electricity. The Canadian Electrical
Code forces you to install it safely if you do have it.

>- What are the minimum requirements for heating?  Could I use a Certified 
>Wood Stove as my principle/only heating system?

Probably.

>Thankyou for your help if you can give it ... The first question is the 
>most important to me.

---

From: [email-masked] (Cori Stewart)
Date: 28 Jan 1996 15:20:15 GMT

I posted an earlier message about the Ontario Building Code, but I guess 
there arent enough Canadians familiar with it, on this newsgroup to get a 
prompt reply.  Sooo, I'm just putting out a general message about North 
American Building Codes:

For the Building Code that you are familiar with:

-T. Shawn Johnson
(using Cori's account)