Subject: International Conference on Traditions and Modernity

From: [email-masked]
Date: 23 Aug 1996 01:06:47 GMT

International Conference on Traditions and Modernity
Contemporary Architecture in Southeast Asia and Beyond

   Venue:      International Le Meridien Hotel, Jakarta, Indonesia
   Date:       December 9 - 11, 1996
   Organisers: Mercu Buana University (Indonesia) &
               University of Tasmania (Australia)

CONFERENCE THEME

Traditions and modernity, east and west, local identity and global
integration, regionalism and internationalism: these dichotomies
have been discussed for decades, but they have never been so
urgently relevant as they are today in the fastest growing
region of the world. In Southeast Asia and the Asia Pacific 
regional, rapidly expanding modernisation compels both practitioners
and theorists to respond to these issues which affect all areas
of research, teaching, design practice and decision making
related to the built environment.

This conference, jointly organised by schools of architecture at
Mercu Buana University and the University of Tasmania, will 
involve professionals, scholars, policy makers and the broader
community in the region and beyond. The conference is a multi-
disciplinary event that will address the many issues surrounding
the relationship between traditions and modernity in contemporary
architectural practice. The purpose of this conference is to 
open up debate on these issues and help formulate practices and
polices that reflect these critical concerns in anticipation of
new architectural and urban forms in the century to come.

TOPICS

- Traditional architecture and urbanism in Southeast Asia, East
  Asia, the Pacific and related regions Social, cultural and
  theoretical aspects of traditional architecture and urbanism
  in the regions
- Conservation of built forms of historical value
- Contextual planning and design in relation to traditional forms
  and activities
- Current cultural and theoretical issues in architecture 
  and urbanism
- Current design strategies in architecture
- Curren planning strategies and policies in urbanism
- Practical aspects of architectural and planning practices today
  and other relevant topics

SCHEDULE

15 October 1996:    Deadline for receipt of final papers
9-11 December 1996: Presentation of papers

PUBLICATION

Conference papers will be published and available at the
conference. Guidelines for the form of papers will be given.

COST

US $ 300 for registration prior to November 1, 1996; thereafter US $ 350.

The cost includes conference proceedings, a conference kit, a
certificate, lunch and coffee break in the morning and
afternoon, a visit to Indonesian heritage architecture around
Jakarta, and a dinner at the International Le Meridien Hotel
at the end of the conference.

If you are interested in attending this conference, please fill
in the attached form and send it to the address given.

Further information is available from:

          Conference Secretary
          Traditions and Modernity
          Department of Architecture, University of Tasmania
          PO Box 1214, Launceston, Tas 7250, Australia

          Tel: +61-03-243139
          Fax: +61-03-243557
          E-mail: [email-masked]
-------------------------------------------

Traditions and Modernity
Contemporary Architecture in Southeast Asia and Beyond
December 9-11, 1996, Jakarta Indonesia

I wish to attend the conference.

Title:        __________________________________________________________

Name:         __________________________________________________________

Institution:  __________________________________________________________

Address:      __________________________________________________________

              __________________________________________________________

Telephone:    __________________________________________________________

Facsimile:    __________________________________________________________

Email:        __________________________________________________________

              Please send this form to: Conference Secretary, Traditions
              and Modernity, Department of Architecture, University of 
              Tasmania, PO Box 1214, Launceston, Tas. 7250, Australia.

****************************************************
        Ikatan Arsitek Indonesia DKI Jakarta
      Sekretariat: Jakarta Design Center Lt. 6
     Jl. Gatot Subroto 53, Slipi, Jakarta 10260
        Telp. 5304711, 5304719 - Fax 5304711
BBs 5304719,,77,,77 - email : [email-masked]
****************************************************
Rainbow V 1.11 for Delphi - Test Drive

---

From: Lee Porter Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 17:11:18 +0000

Ekotecture International Incorporated

Ekotecture International is a Florida corporation, chartered for the 
purpose of licensing and franchising individuals, corporations, 
partnerships, trusts and foundations to design, build, manufacture 
install and maintain integrated natural energy environments which are 
powered by the universal energies of gravity, solar and geothermal 
inertia, evaporation & condensation& phase change.

Integrated natural energy environments or Ekospheres™ are defined as 
self-contained, self-sufficient, solar gravity geothermal powered, 
non-polluting, structurally integrated, super strength, lightweight 
molded structures which float, enabling them to resist damage from 
earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes or tidal waves. They 
provide lights, gas, water and food, required or desired by the 
occupants of the structure. 

 Mission Statement

€ Promote World Peace through the international economic 
interdependence of construction coalitions and utility management 
cartels. € Make the world a better place to live by enrlling humanity 
into supporting environmental friendly construction. € Prove our love 
and respect for humanity by dedicating ourselves to education 
concerning the conservation of our natural resources 

Vision Statement

€ Before the year 2006, Ekotecture International will have become the 
largest construction coalition and utility management cartel in the 
world. € We will be respected by our peers for the devlopment and 
delivery of environmentally friendly construction. € We will be sought 
after as a leader in the international business community because of 
our innovative and creative marketing of premier Ekotecture 
technology. € We will be the catalyst for world wide utility 
management which conserves our earth¹s natural resources. 

A History of Ekose¹a and Ekotecture

In 1979, with the assistance of architect William Pearson and the 
Ekose¹a™ San Francisco staff of architects and environmental designers 
, we wrote and published the book, Ekose¹a Homes ©1979, describing the 
plans and details of the solar, gravity convection, geothermal 
envelope for single family homes which could be designed for all 
micro-climates, worldwide. Between November 1979 and April 1980, the 
Ekose¹a office received as many as one thousand requests for 
information daily, from people who had been exposed to the Ekose¹a 
concept and examples of the homes through magazines, newspapers and 
television programs world wide. 

The energy shortage and gasoline crisis in 1975 activated the mass 
media, attention, who by 1980 were putting alternative energy designs 
and inventors on the cover of every national magazine. Fortunately, 
for Ekose¹a™, this positive publicity created a public demand for our 
publications and professional services. Between 1979 and 1981, this 
publicity drove the sales of more than 45,000 buyers to purchase our 
book and 15,000 purchased construction documents, specifications and 
limited supervision. From this activity and later follow up studies, 
we now estimate that there are approximately 20,000 occupied Ekose¹a™ 
double envelope homes worldwide. 

The superior comfort and health standards , interior air quality and 
thermal performance is now well known after fourteen years of history 
by satisfied owners. The houses have been monitored and documented by 
universities, national laboratories and individual owner builder 
experimenters all over the world. In 1981, DOE sponsored a monitoring 
& study of an Ekose¹a home built in 1980, near Newport, Rhode Island. 
The study was supervised by the Brookhaven National Laboratory¹s 
architect, Ralph Jones. They concluded that, ³the double envelope 
concept was distinguished in that it allowed for large amounts of 
glass necessary for light and views without requiring additional 
energy. They went on to add, ³ that it was the only design they had 
ever tested which could survive a severe northern winter, unattended 
without damage to the interior from freezing. 

The Ekose¹a double envelope design provided unexpected surprises and 
health benefits whenever the south facing solarium was used as a 
greenhouse garden room. When filled with plants, the envelope air 
provides an natural electrostatic air ionizing and filtering system. 
The Ekose¹a™ homes provide an ideal living space, as they have the 
potential of being filled with beautiful colored flowers, delightful 
aromas, and green foliage plants which produce oxygen from converted 
carbon dioxide. 

Fast forward 15 years.

In 1991, in the book, Earth in the Balance Albert Gore predicts a 
global civil war, between the haves and the have nots, resulting from 
the finite limitations of our present energy technologies and the 
resources they demand to supply the projected global demand into the 
next century. He calls for the ³new organizing principle² of 
civilization to be the search for human life support systems which can 
be sustained indefinitely and he makes a passionate plea for America 
to use it¹s technological superiority and ingenuity to lead the world 
in this critical mission. 

In 1993, responding to growing interest and awareness of architects of 
this crisis, the American Institute of Architects and the 
International Congress of Architects choose ³sustainable 
development²as the theme of their annual convention They called for 
solutions to sustainable development in an international competition 
to be judged at the time of the annual AIA convention. There has been 
so much controversy surrounding the subject of defining ³sustainable 
development² that the judging was delayed and they have yet to 
circulate the results as promised. 

In 1994. President Clinton appointed a panel of national business, 
scientific and political leaders to the National Commission on 
sustainable Development. After more than two years of controversy and 
endless meetings, it has become obvious that none of these committee 
members could agree on what sustainable development actually consists 
of. They have yet to come to terms with the jargon and the definition 
of sustainability. 

In 1995, responding to the growing perception within the engineering 
professions that finding a solution to this 
economic-scientific-environmental global crisis must now receive the 
highest priority, the Provost of MIT, the world¹s leading 
technological research institution asked the head of it¹s Civil 
Engineering Department, Professor David Marks, to step down and direct 
an interdisciplinary team to find sustainable solutions. They created 
the Program for Environmental Engineering, Education and Research 
which will be known as PEEER. MIT then joined the University of Tokyo 
and the Federated Universities of Switzerland to form the The 
International Alliance for Global Sustainability. The first conference 
was held recently in Peking China. 

The question being asked by all of these chief executives, 
commissioners, scientists and construction professionals alike is; 
Which sustainable alternative, pollution free technologies can satisfy 
the present global demand for energy, comfort and conveniences without 
sacrificing our future security or compromising our future ability to 
provide these luxuries and necessities to all who will want and need 
them, into and beyond the next century? 

In 1995, fifteen years since the initial success of the Ekose¹a Homes, 
I have continued to research and have invented, developed and refined 
an expanded concept which I call a ³sustainable construction 
structure² ( patent pending, 1995 )  or Ekotecture©™ or Ekospheres™, 
featuring a radically improved gravity, solar, geothermal envelope 
with multiple air passages which can control the temperature and 
humidity of each room individually, using either manual or computer 
controlled air flow dampers and as further described below. 

In inventing the word Ekotecture©™, I am proposing that humanity 
needs to become familiar with a a new household term, Ekotecture©™, 
an entirely new discipline or field of study which is defined as the 
³art and science of designing and building affordable, aesthetically 
pleasing, environmentally and economically sustainable structures 
which protect human life, nature and material property during 
catastrophic natural disasters such as earthquakes, fires, floods, 
hurricanes and tornadoes. This new subject would be known as 
Ekotecture©™. 

Ekotecture©™ which we plan to manufacture is further defined as an 
injection molded, super lightweight masonry & ceramic parts of 
structures , including a floating foundation for the building above 
which contains the required equipment, tanks and on board computers 
necessary to regulate and maintain the required utility service for 
the building. These structural modules, could be used individually to 
create homes or grouped together to create large buildings. 

The result is a lightweight, fireproof, insect resistant, floating 
material which resists heat and moisture transfer. It can be easily 
cut and sawn by ordinary carpenters, using ordinary tools. 

This structure and floating foundation provide a framework around 
which owners, real estate developers, designers, architects, engineers 
and contractors have wide latitude to create the exterior style and 
finish of the building, according to the individual tastes, 
preferences and needs of each client, site or situation. 

Ekospheres©™ are space frames, taking advantage of the geodesic and 
egg shaped geometric & crystalline synergies of crystals and minimum 
use of materials. In the finished architecture, the Ekotecture 
infrastructure is invisible to the observer and in no way limits the 
style, character or building function. 

The base is comprised of a series of interconnected interlocking 
crystaline shaped tanks and equipment compartments, for the regulation 
and processing of the passive solid state systems. These systems 
provide perfectly mineralized domestic water, electric power, natural 
gas for cooking & ceramic fireplaces or ceremonial flames. They 
provide landscape fertilizer and water and they provide enclosed space 
heating,cooling and refrigeration. All of this is surrounded, of 
course by a series of airways cast in the molded frame. Some of the 
crystaline compartments will be filled with air for floatation.

These voids, the gravity solar geothermal convection envelopes conduct 
heating and cooling air , other voids provide spaces for pipes, 
telephone and shielded cables. The main household or building 
electrical current is conducted through a doped portion of the wall 
itself. Outlets simply connect to the positive and the negative 
channels to provide 12 direct current current anywhere in the 
structure, without generating harmful alternating currents that can 
kill. 

The quality of air inside envelope structures has already been 
observed, experienced and documented. A superior level of both comfort 
and health is being testified to by owners who have lived in the homes 
for more than 12 years. Testimony from Ekose¹a clients claim that 
allergies and other respiratory diseases such as colds and flu 
disappeared when the individual occupied an envelope home filled with 
plants. 

Our intention is to organize and create a global cartel of individual 
real estate developers, contractors and manufacturers, all organized 
and relating to a single data base and internal business economy or 
accounting system. Ekotecture International Incorporated will 
manufacture, install and deliver the floating biospheres or 
Ekospheres™. A subsidiary company of Ekotecture, Mothers of 
Maintenance or MOM™ incorporated will be organized to maintain the 
utility systems on board. Stock in both Ekotecture and MOM will be 
sold to the owners of the present energy and utility cartels and 
companies. Both companies will be employee owned and employee managed. 

We see the prototype development taking place in partnership with 
major universities. We have initiated discussion at MIT , RISD., U of 
Oregon, U of Glasgow. The programs would be funded by DOE, DOD, EPA 
and HEW. We believe that it is logical to use the retired DOD ship and 
submarine building facilities in cities like Charleston and others. 
The existing hydraulics and construction bays would save millions in 
the initial start up costs. Start up capital is being solicited from 
venture capitalists and the corporation plans to make application for 
funding through the Advanced Technology Program, recently created by 
the administration of Clinton and Gore. 

The initial prototypes are as follows;

(1) A 2000 sq. ft. single family detached home designed for the gated 
country club developments South Florida.
(2) A 1500 sq. ft. middle income tract home in Southern California or 
Nevada
(3) A 400 Sq. ft. Basic shelter for the undeveloped world market, 
Chine, India and Africa.
(4) A 2000 sq. ft. floating home and garden with swimming pool

All four prototypes will be manufactured simultaneously.

The Ekotecture concept will create millions of jobs world wide and 
will stimulate the economy of the United states and every other 
country which participates in its manufacture or maintenance. By 
creating a win, win, win scenario, all intelligent and motivated 
people will choose to get involved , making Ekotecture a global 
solution within the next 5 years. 

Your support and participation is invited, appreciated and vital. 

Ekotecture International Inc.
620 Biscayne Drive
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
or by Fax (407) 833-6834
telephone (407) 659-7656

or Email, lbutler@.emi.net

You can see the home page for ekosea homes at www.webcast1.com/ekosea