Subject: student center trends?

From: [email-masked] (NSatBCJ)
Date: 2 Apr 1996 11:24:29 -0500

wondering if there are any current "trends" in the design of student
centers on college campuses?  any thoughts/dialog greatly appreciated.
nancy sokolove
bohlin cywinski jackson
e-mail:
NSatBCJ

---

From: "Jason M. Roth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 00:12:50 -0500

Well if you look at Carnegie Mellon's new University Center, currently
under construction, i think you'll find that Speer is having an
unexpected resurgence of influence....

On a more serious level, i think you'll find that the trend is towards
megacenters with food courts, athletic facilities, meeting space,
offices, etc. This may or may not benefit the student body. Mount
Holyoke College also has a recently completed student center. But i urge
you to look at what the students are saying, not anyone else's opinion
(CMU's monstrosity, which doesn't address 75% of the old student
center's problems, has won several awards).

JMR

93 SL2, blue-green

I got a beat-up glove, a homemade bat, 
  And a brand new pair of shoes;
  I think it's time to give this game a ride.
  Just to hit the ball
  And touch them all --
  A moment in the sun --
  It's a-gone and you can tell that one goodbye.

"What's the use of a good house if you don't have a decent planet to put
it on?."

---

From: [email-masked] (Sleepless in Amherst)
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 1996 22:33:32 GMT

I've been to Mt. Holyoke's student center.  Not a bad little place 
they've got going over there.  It's got a lot of comfy seating up on a 
balcony level above a main seating area.  Most people, I think choose to 
sit above and study up there.  A few, if they are getting food from the 
snack bar hang out down below (although I don't quite know what they need 
a snack bar for anyways, since they have M&C's every night at 9.) (M&C's 
short for Milk and Cookies, but they have other types of snackables too...)
But, back to the subject at hand.  Our college doesn't have a student 
center.  UC Berkeley, when I was there, I thought they had a pretty 
decent one with a travel agent, an arcade in the basement, a bar, a 
couple of food type places, and areas to hang out.  Good student center 
for a large university.  I heard somewhere that the student center at MIT 
was a good one, but that may be just hearsay.
8)
Vince