Subject: Mac plotter drivers

From: Ken <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 1996 12:06:23 -0700

I will be purchasing a HP inkjet plotter soon to connect to my Mac.

There are at least two plotter drivers software available for the 
Mac---GDT PowerPlot and Microspot MacPlot.  They both claim 
compatibility with most plotters, including the HP 330 inkjet.

Does anybody know how these two plotter drivers compare in all aspects?  
Is there additional software or hardware that I would need to plot from 
my Mac?  How does Postscript fit into this picture?  I was told that 
adding a Postscript option would make the plotter Mac-compatible.  Can I 
plot just fine without Postscript?

Kenneth

---

From: [email-masked] (JFBjr)
Date: 12 Sep 1996 02:42:12 -0400

>compatibility with most plotters, including the HP 330 inkjet.

We have been using Microspot's MacPlot with an HP DesignJet 650C and it
works fine. Most of our CAD work on the Mac is done using MiniCAD, though
we use AutoCAD on the Mac as well. We have added the Postscript option as
well as the HP JetDirect Card for network connections. The JetDirect makes
the HP visible on the Apple network like any other Mac printer. You set
pen assignments from MacPlot and it handles background spooling.

As for needing the Postscript option for Mac compataiblity, I am not sure,
but I do think its necessary. I think Macs need the Postscript language to
communicate.

John Benware
Schafer Associates