Subject: ###CHERNOBYL: A NUCLEAR DISASTER###

From: [email-masked] (Teek)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 11:41:22 -0500

CHERNOBYL:

The greatest commercial nuclear disaster, EVER.
Find out why it happened, who's at fault, how
it could have been prevented, and how much
damage it did to the world at large!

http://tqd.advanced.org/3426/

With pictures, fun things to do, and a fully
interactive compilation of information!
DONT MISS IT!!!

---

From: "shenoykj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 01:23:03 -0400

> [email-masked] (Teek) wrote in article
[email-masked]>...
> Find out why it happened, who's at fault, how

My dad used to be an electrical engineer -- touted as the BEST engineer
the president and heads of one of the biggest Long Island/NJ engineering
companies had ever SEEN.  A lot of his work was done inside nuclear power
plants, so his expertise is pretty reliable.

American nuclear factories have fallback mechanisms/safety devices in case
something goes wrong (yes, even if it's run by a dozen Homer Simpsons). 
If something goes TERRIBLY wrong (which, I believe, has happened only once
in the U.S.), meltdown will be stopped by the reactor sinking into the
first containment chamber of water.  In the almost-impossible event that
the 1st containment chamber doesn't hold it, it will sink and stop in the
outer/2nd containment chamber.  Each chamber is made out of very, very
thick concrete.

Even before people killed the American nuclear industry, they were
routinely inspected.  The only awry case was 3 Mile Island (Fire Island?)
in Long Island, where someone ignorant SWITCHED OFF some safety mechanisms
when the plant was automatically reacting to high temperatures or
something.  EVEN STILL, the plant's reactor sunk into the 1st chamber and
was fine.  No harm done, except that the plant was wasted.  (Even an
ignorant guy bent against the machine can prevent it from taking over for
safety reasons.)

He said that the real reason that Chernobyl "fell out" was that the
Communists were cutting corners.  Since Russia was run like a dictatorship
anyway, why did the LEADERS care if fallout happened.  They had NO safety
measure, no containment chambers.  Thus, when something MINOR went wrong
(bec. it was a VERY dirty and hazardous plant in the first place), it was
no surprise that fallout happened.  It was imminent.

> it could have been prevented, and how much

Stick to safety measures, inspect and test the gadgets, and keep it clean.

> interactive compilation of information!

Oh, great!  Chernobyl: The Video Game! ;-)
You saw it; you heard about it; now, LIVE IT!

On a more interesting note, the word "chernaw" means "chickpea" in my
language.
Go figure! :-) :-)

:-)
Kishan