Subject: Congress for Architects

From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Sep 1996 00:17:56 GMT

The Seventh Asian Congress of Architects (ACA-7) and Business Forum '96

     - Get a firm grip in the immense opportunities in the swirling
       urban development Markets of Asia -

 Asia has already become a new hub in the world's economy.
 It is projected that two thirds of the world's financial trans-
 actions will be focused in the Asia-Pacific Region by the year
 2000. The growth of this region has been tremendous in the
 past 5 to 10 years, creating a whirlwind of opportunities in
 mega-city development. Success stories abound but there
 have also been some failed investments.

By 2020 the urban population of South and East Asia will increase by 
over 1 billion people. Even many of today's megacities will double in 
size. At the same time long term double-digit industrial growth is 
projected to fuel continued economic growth of 6% to 11% per annum 
across the economies of the region  for the next 20 years and more.
Huge medium cost and luxury residential estates, industrial estates and 
even complete integrated townships are being rapidly constructed by the 
private sector. Opportunities abound today for the already active 
private sector investors and the city governments who are capturing 
private sector energies and efficiencies in service provision.

 Individual consortia are commonly implementing urban
 schemes of 100 to 20,000 hectares, each amounting to multi
 billion dollar deals with rapid turnover of investor and medium
 capital. Jakarta alone has over 100,000 hectares of on-going
 private developments. Projects in the planning phase dwarf
 even these figures !

Both the public as well as the private sectors are 're-reading' the long 
term opportunities available. Investors those who keep up with development 
in the region may reap great profits and will play a role in these 
countries' development history. Previously professional and experienced 
developers have had to compete with cowboy developers who did not take 
much to succeed in some of these heated markets. The situation has changed.
Increasing skills and technology as well as demands from consumers and
regulators have changed the nature of opportunities. How one takes 
advantage of this changing marketplace is crucial to Asia's cities and 
investors' futures.

Four merging trends are bringing even more growth but also
profound changes in this situation:

- Economic growth means that a much larger proportion of
  the population is passing the threshold level for house pur-
  chase, rapidly increasing demand for lower and medium cost
  properties.
- The rate of city growth is far outstripping roads, transport, wa-
  ter, sanitation and drainage infrastructure at an order of
  change never experienced before.
- City scale has made environmental issues such as flooding
  and pollution a major factor in long term sustainability. The
  wider community, industrial site purchasers and home buyers
  are increasingly conscious of this in choosing to buy into
  developments already on the market.
- Governments are on the one hand enthusiastically pursuing
  public-private partnership in infrastructure provisions as well
  as urban developments, and on the other hand are becoming
  more demanding that these developments contribute to long
  term sustainable growth of cities.

The fleet of foot, with strong local presence have done exceptionally 
well, tailoring their approaches to each market and financing regime. 
They still will. But new capacities and skills will be needed to deal 
with the hierarchy of even larger and medium sized developments needed
to keep pace with growth in the future. Partnerships will combine much
wider ranges of services and infrastructure. On this scale new 
partnerships will be needed in the synchronizing of public and private
planning of developments and the major linking infrastructure. It 
presents a tremendous opportunity for governments that move forward 
fast to create the parameters and environment for these partnerships.

For investors it means that those who can combine a broader range of 
capacities into one team will lead the way into these larger scale 
developments. Financiers will be looking to new structures in the 
packaging of a hierarchy of commitments and funds flows between
investment/development consortia. Risk management techniques will 
evolve to make these bigger investment structures accessible to a 
wider market.

 ACA-7's Business Forum will bring these streams of together in the
 first session of a pioneering forum for the private and public sectors
 to grapple with these new opportunities, initiate today's investment
 tie-ups and map out their future in the greatest urban development
 opportunities that are ever likely to exist: Asia's cities moving into
 the 21st century.

  The major objectives of the Business Forum are:
- To create awareness and exchange market information on the trem-
  endous growth opportunities that have emerged in Asia for mega
  developments, investments that deal with large scale housing tracts,
  opportunities for integrated housing and commercial mini cities, and
  competitive industrial developments.
- To remove misconceptions about where the opportunities as well
  as the difficulties are in investing in the region, alleviate doubts and
  highlight successful experience and future innovations in mobilizing
  and implementing these investments.
- To create awareness of the changing nature of opportunities in the
  marketplace; a market that will require and reward highly professional
  developer and investor skills to achieve a competitive edge.
- To help to identify how one takes advantage of this changing market-
  place by extending and forging new partnerships.

   Attendees will include:
 - City managers defining the development and investment paradigms
   for growth moving into the 21st century.
 - Key major developers already active in expanding markets who are
   positioning themselves to take advantage of broader partnerships.
 - Investors seeking viable developments in the short run and position-
   ing for long term growth.
 - Financial and legal institution creating and marketing innovative
   financing schemes.
 - Architects and Planners creating the vision and sculpting the shape
   of urban developments.
 - Academicians researching and preparing a generation for the great
   age of urban development in Asia
 - Non government organizations.
 - Government officials in economic and urban development planning,
   concerned with promoting and regulating private sector investment.
 - Engineers: shaping the new environmental and infrastructure frame-
   work for urban growth.
 - Contractors discovering that mega developments are forging new
   investment marriages between housing developments and infra-
   structure such as toll roads and flood mitigation works.
 - Suppliers who want to appreciate the rapidly changing nature and
   location of demand for key technologies and commodities.

Organization of the Forum

The two day Forum will start with Introductory and Interpretative
sessions chaired by such institutions as the Asia Society that will
describe the scale and profiles of developments involved in the
Business Forum. The panel will describe the swirling and changing
nature of the market that has shied away from cowboy developers
and is in search of more professional investors that can respond
to long term community concern.

The Introductory session will be followed by presentations by
leaders in private sector city developments from the most vibrant
cities around the region. They will summarize the direction and
policies of they are responding to in major urban development
programs and the evolution of private sector investment that
they have played leading roles in. The future development path of
these cities and the opportunities for new public-private partner-
ships will be brought into profile in these presentations by the
architects of tomorrow's markets. These entrepreneurs and govern-
ment leaders will also be inviting delegates to join them in one-on-
one or small group market oriented sessions on the second day.

These investors are active in some of the most dynamic cities in the
region: Bangkok, Bangalore, Jakarta, Karachi, Manila and Shenzhen.

The first sessions of the second day of the Forum will place these cities 
current programs within a regional overview of the scale of developments 
required, and the changes in practices necessary to achieve the necessary 
levels of investments. This will lead into a retrospective session on 
success and difficulties in integrated development centered on one of the 
most advanced city in the region: Singapore.

Ciputra and James Riady, the heads of two of the most accomplished
large scale development companies in the region will present the
insights and practical knowledge of how to succeed in this dynamic
market, gained from their immense experience in 12 large scale
integrated city developments over the last 35 years. These inter-
nationally renowned and active developers who have both success-
fully combined hard nosed investment and demonstrated leader-
ship in developments devoted to establishing rich lifestyles will
discuss their special perspectives on the challenges and recommend-
ations for the future investment approaches.

The afternoon sessions will be devoted to the topic of creating the
climate to support these development programs by addressing
the public sector, private sector and community concerns in a
systematic manner. Perspectives on each of the major developing
countries will be combined in a panel session.

The final session for Day 2 will be in the form of a financier -
investor - public sector panel discussion on financial realities and
how this key area of innovation will be woven into new urban
development paradigms for the future. Also on the second day,
in parallel market presentation sessions, each of the developers
and representatives from cities will present their projects and
investment conditions in detail, inviting potential investors or
partners to attend small group presentation sessions and 
individual discussions.

-------------------------
Registration Secretariat:

              Royalindo Convention International
              Hotel Wisata International
              Office Tower Suite 302
              Jalan MH Thamrin , Jakarta , Indonesia
              Tel: +62-21 3140982
              Fax: +62-21 334470 , +62-21 3150886
              Email: [email-masked]

Registration Fees:
  ACA-7 only (for member of ARCASIA)                 USD 400
  ACA-7 only (for non-member of ARCASIA)             USD 500
  Business Forum only                                USD 500
  ACA-7 and Business Forum                           USD 600
  Accompanying person                                USD 150

Fee includes participation in the sessions, speakers' papers,
lunch,coffee breaks and social functions.

Payment of USD by Telegraphic Transfer to:

           PANITIA ARCASIA - ACA 7
           Bank Niaga - Thamrin Branch
           Jalan MH Thamrin , Jakarta , Indonesia
           A/C no.  08A-4864-5

As a service to participants in the ACA-7 and Business Forum 96,
the Organizing Committee has reserved hotel accomodation at
preffered rates:

Jakarta Hilton Hotel, adjacent to the Venue
      - Main Building, Rate for SGL / DBL           USD 110 / 110
      - Lagoon Tower, Rate for SGL / DBL            USD 130 / 130

Hotel Indonesia, 30 minutes drive frm the Venue
      - Deluxe Room, Rate for SGL / DBL             USD 80 / 90

Hotel rates are subject to 21% service charge & government tax.
One night deposit is required to secure your hotel reservation at
the latest by Sept. 1, 1996. Otherwise the OC will not guarantee
the room reservation. To qualify for these preferred rates 
accomodation must be booked through the OC Secretariat address 
mentioned above.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlight of the program

Sept 25
-------
09.00 , ACA-7 + Business Forum:
            Keynote and Opening Speech
11.00 , ACA-7 + Business Forum:
            INDOBEX 96 TOUR (Indonesian Building and
            Construction Exhibition 96)
12.00 , ACA-7 + Business Forum:
            L u n c h
13.00 , ACA-7: Session A1
            The Philosophy of Symbiosis Architecture :
            Kisho Kurokawa
14.30 , ACA-7: Coffee Break
14.45 , ACA-7: Session B1: Discussion
13.00 , Business Forum: Session A2
            Presentation of City Development
            Bangkok, Karachi, Jakarta
14.30 , Business Forum: Coffee Break
14.45 , Business Forum: Session B2
            Shenzen, Madras or Bangalore, Manila
19.00 , Fellowship Dinner for all delegates

Sept 26
-------
09.00 , ACA-7: Session C1
           Global Architecture Practice: Peter C. Pran
10.30 , ACA-7: Coffee Break
10.45 , ACA-7: Session D1
            Open space in New Town Development:
            Charles Corea
12.00 , ACA-7: Lunch
13.00 , ACA-7: Session E1
            The Skyscrapers as vertical Geography:
            DR Ken Yeang
14.30 , ACA-7: Coffee Break
14.45 , ACA-7: Session F1: Discussion

09.00 , Business Forum: Session C2
            Regional Overview by Multilateral Development,
            Finance Agencies and Government Of Indonesia
10.30 , Business Forum: Coffee Break
10.45 , Business Forum: Session D2
            Practical Development Approaches by City of
            Singapore, Ciputra and James Riady
12.00 , Lunch
13.00 , Business Forum: Session E2
            Creating and working within an environment
            of rapid massive development by a panel of
            developers of Indonesia, China, India and Thai.
14.30 , Business Forum: Coffee Break
14.45 , Business Forum: Session F2
           Financial realities and the future of urban investment

        ---
        Also in Business Forum Venues: Cities/Countries Host 
        Sessions in individual discussion rooms. Host Countries 
        confirmed: Indonesia, China, Thai, Pakistan, India 
        and Philippines.
        ---

--------------------------------------------
Speakers on 7th Asian Congress of Architects
Jakarta, September 23 - 26, 1996

High ranking Government Officials who have palyed an important role
in shaping the current achitectural trends, and have successfully
develop and implemented variuos significant local and regional 
policies in character-based urban planning, building construction
and infrastructure development.

Prominent Figures ub the Private Sectors whose extensive experience
and knowledge in the fields of architecture and urban designs have
earned them international respect and recognition. These figures 
carry them a broad range of expertise in the construction of 
properties that are socio-culturally relevant, and from this position
the have successfully develop and award winning identify-based
architectural products.

Prominent speakers will share their experiences and views, the
include :

    * Architect Kisho Kurokawa
    * Architect Ken Yeang
    * Architect Charles Corres
    * Architect Peter Pran
    * Prominent Indonesian Property
    * Prominent Indonesian Developer
    * etc.

-------------------------------------------
7th Asian Congress of Architects activities
* Jakarta, September 23 - 26, 1996

     1. The ARCASIA Council Meeting
     2. Asian Congress of Architects
     3. The 3rd ARCASIA Award for Architecture
     4. The ARCASIA Commitee for Architectural Education (ACAE)
     5. The 2nd ARCASIA Students Prizes
     6. The 6th, Achitectural Students Jamboree
     7. Head & Dean of School of Architect Forum

ARCASIA session will feature prominent figures in the Asian development
scenes including prominent Indonesian figures that have successfully
develop the nation's capital, Jakarta, into one of the leading business
centers in Asia.

The Congress will also feature various significant activities that are
linked with ARCASIA, such as, an International Workshops Exhibition and
Business Forum 1996.

Participants will also be able to enjoy an optional tour to Indonesia's
renowned vacation destinations, such as Yogyakarta and Bali.

----
For further information:
[email-masked]
Rainbow V 1.11 for Delphi - Test Drive