Subject: Request for Qualifications

From: [email-masked] (MiPeter)
Date: 10 May 1996 11:05:03 -0400

Public Library Renovation & Expansion
Request for Architects' Qualifications

A small western Michigan architectural firm with limited library
experience would like to assemble a team of designers to propose to
provide a complete package of architectural and planning services to an
area community for the planned $3 million (US) expansion and renovation of
an existing 12,000 SF public library.  The existing facility was
constructed in the early 1980's, and is a brick veneer, earth-sheltered
building.  The community has secured funding for renovation of the
existing building, as well as a proposed addition.  The completed project
will likely more than double the existing square footage to a total of
approximately 28,000 SF.  A library consultant has been working with the
Building Advisory Committee and a local Community Foundation to establish
program requirements.

We are currently seeking letters of interest with a concise statement of
qualifications from architectural firms with considerable public library
experience to assemble a team of qualified designers.  It is anticipated
that Bosma Phinney Architects will propose as Prime, with another firm
serving as consulting designers.  We will also secure proposals from
consulting mechanical and electrical engineers and consulting structural
engineers locally.  The location of the consulting design firm is not a
significant issue, provided the firm has the capability for electronic
transfer of sketches and schematics.

It will be necessary for at least one principal member of the successful
consulting design firm to travel to western Michigan, (USA,) for as many
as two personal interviews with the Client during the final selection
process.  The first of these interviews is likely to be held in July.

Interested and qualified parties are encouraged to visit URL:

 http://www.wolfe.net/~dbailey/pkp.html  

for insight into the type of projects undertaken recently by the prime
architect, as well as the approach used by the firm and some sense of its
professional concerns.

Time is of the essence in this matter, as the RFQ response to the Client
is due in Michigan on May 24, 1996.  Additional information will be
transferred electronically to interested consulting designers or design
firms upon receipt of a letter of interest with statement of
qualifications.  Please address the following questions in your letter of
interest:

1.  Has the consulting design firm had experience in teaming with other
firms at a distance?  What method has been used for the transfer of
information between the firms (fax, e-mail, electronic drawing transfer,
etc.)?

2.  What specific related library experience has the consulting design
firm had in the past ten years (please include project location, square
footage, construction value, and a BRIEF building program narrative)?

3.  How does the consulting design firm envision the fee structure and the
division of the scope of work for a project of this nature?  What will you
expect to be paid, and what specific services do you anticipate providing?
 Further, what will you expect from the prime in the way of documentation
of existing conditions, programming support, drawing production, etc.  

The prime has experience in assembling teams of specialized designers for
projects of this nature, although its design experience with this building
type is limited.

For additional information, please do not hesitate to make use of the
comments form available at our web site, or contact Mr. Phinney directly
by telephone at:  (616) 728-9519, or through e-mail at: 
[email-masked].

NOTE:  Please do not respond automatically ot this post, as it was posted
through my personal account @aol.  Please use the addresses above.  Thank
you - P.Phinney