Subject: Re: A translucent solar window collector?

From: Elaine Gallegos <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Aug 1996 01:08:01 -0700

Philip Griffiths <[email-masked]> wrote:
: Interesting thread.  Have you read the book by Brian Norton
: "Solar Thermal energy Technology" published by Springer-Verlag
: 1992.

  One of the tract houses around the block from me has an interesting
solar collector. The one story house has a squarish gable running the
length of the roof. It is lined with windows, facing south.
  Talking with the owner, she stated that these windows heat the house up
like a son-of-a-bitch.  the area is uninsulated.  I think that I would
cover the windows up in the summer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elaine Gallegos
[email-masked]                  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Philip Griffiths <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 11:48:55 +0100

> cover the windows up in the summer.

One of the main problems which everyone seems to raise on this newsgroup
is the failure of solar energy ideas, designs, products etc in use,
especially overheating.

The installation of solar collectors on a house is not adhoc like the
purchase of television set.   It is obvious to me that a small degree of
thermal modelling would have highlighted the overheating problem BEFORE
installation.

regards

-- 
----------------------------------------------------
Dr Philip Griffiths,     PROBE, University of Ulster
TEL:+44 (0)1232 368238              Northern Ireland
FAX:+44 (0)1232 368239 E-MAIL [email-masked] 
----------------------------------------------------

---

From: john <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 96 01:41:26 GMT

> thermal modelling would have highlighted the overheating problem BEFORE
Is there a simple way or formulae for estimateing amount of storage of hot & 
cool?
On the old duttch wind mills there was adjustabl slats to be alterd for 
diferent wind, why isnt there somthing like it today for shade & sun alteration
as we've got the z80 micro computer all these years? 
-- 

Yours sincerely....John G.*?*?*?*?*? Us Neuron's don't KNOW that much, period.
*What is existance without socialising?*?*?*?*?*?*?*?*?*?*?*?*?
(Everybody wants to be certifiably nice on this tide of awesome tech' power.)c?
(Posts mispelt or not should be written with content to be worth saving
so as apathy doesn't drown lurkers)c?

---

From: Raymond Bahm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 1996 21:50:20 -0600

> cover the windows up in the summer.
What you are describing sounds like what we term "clerestory" window.
South-facing windows on a solar home usually have an overhang that
blocks the summer sun's rays.  Since the sun is lower in the sky in
the winter, they are not blocked in the wintertime.  This is standard
passive solar design technology.
-- 
Ray Bahm  --  [email-masked]