Subject: Where is the Alternative ?

From: Gary Cunningham <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jul 1995 20:59:58 GMT

Although I am new here, I am inpatient.
Where is the alternative Architecturre stuff?

---

From: [email-masked] (Elaine Gallegos)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 12:40:27 GMT

Gary Cunningham ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Although I am new here, I am inpatient.
: Where is the alternative Architecturre stuff?

  Don't hold your breath, pal.  There is relatively little alternative 
architecture going on in the U.S., and this UseNet group is only a small 
section of that.

---

From: [email-masked] (KEKeck)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 03:32:16 -0400

response to the first two messages under this heading:

why do you think that is? and how can we change it? i was excited to see
that this newsgroup existed but i have too been somewhat disappointed.
perhaps there is a way that this could be improved...
and bring in some more alternative ideas, et al...

any comments, suggestions - i would be sincerely interested to read and
discuss further.

---

From: [email-masked] (JFBjr)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 11:56:29 -0400

Define "Alternative Architecture". That way we have a common baseline in
discussing "alternative" and "normal".

Is it "Alternative" because of...

...planning. How spaces are arranged for
convience/flow/dynamics/structure?

...aesthetics. Is the look somehow unusual/groundbreaking/ugly?

...systems. Is technology integrated into the architecture in a
unique/altenative way. Or is the use of technology significant? If so, the
current discussion on Geothermal Cooling seems to be alternative.

John Benware