Subject: Re: Concrete or Steel? Advice needed!

From: [email-masked] (Erick van Egeraat)
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 18:26:59 -400

Dear Jim,

what do you mean by polystyreen forms with concrete. Do you mean glueing it to 
concrete or do you mean making a cast of ps and than cast teh concrete in 
situ?

In The Netherlands almost all builings are constructed with brickwork walls 
aor concrete walls and floors and we have no significant problems doing this. 
Of course you're right if you say concrete is better for heat accumilation 
etc. 
If you can be more specific maybe we can help you solving your problem.

Greetings
Ard Buijsen
E-mail address: [email-masked]
mail address:
Calandstraat 23
3016 CA Rotterdam
The Netherlands
tel: + 31 10 4 36 96 86
fax: + 31 10 4 36 95 73

---

From: [email-masked] (CB)
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 23:39:58 GMT

The foam building blocks concept has at least two defects:

1) they are usually quite expensive compared to formwork rental;

2) they obviate the potentially beneficial thermal mass of concrete.

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Rasnow)
Date: 26 May 1995 00:49:44 GMT

> concrete or do you mean making a cast of ps and than cast teh concrete in

A materal called Rastra is available which is panels of concrete and chopped-up
polystyrene. A couple of plants make it in So. California (I think under
a Swiss liscence). The panels have semi-smooth exterior faces and large voids
in the interior. On site, rebar, plumbing, etc. are put in the voids, which
are then filled with liquid concrete. The stuff is fire proof, insulating
(around R3.4/inch), and very easy to work with. It cuts with a chain saw,
a couple of guys can handle the panels and "frame" a house, and because
the exerior surface is rough, its easy to adhere final stucco and finishes.
Cost is comparable to conventional wood framing, and it is being used in
some low-cost housing projects. I can try to dig up additional info on 
sources of Rastra if there is interest.

Brian ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 May 95 13:40:34

> a couple of guys can handle the panels and "frame" a house, and 

Rastra has been renamed to EnerGrid.  We published a feature article about the
system in the April edition of Energy Design Update.  It does look very good,
but the R-value is questionable.
--Ned Nisson

Ned Nisson, Editor              sent from
Energy Design Update            Energy Design Online  (212)662-0388 [modem]
[email-masked]                                 (212)662-7428 (voice)