Subject: This Old House!

From: [email-masked] (PURNSG)
Date: 29 Jul 1995 10:40:13 -0400

I have a question for the professionals!  I am looking to buy a old
victorian style city home!  The home is heated by radiators. How
effective are radiators versus anything else?

---

From: [email-masked] (Larry Smith USG)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 15:49:59 GMT

>effective are radiators versus anything else?

If installed properly, effective and very long-lasting.  My current
house is heated by hot-water radiators.  It's a 1768 brick colonial
of 4000+ sq feet, and the system keeps it toasty warms in the dead
of the New Hampshire winter with no visible strain whatsoever.  Steam
radiators have the additional benefit of humidifying the dry winter
air.

-- 
Larry Smith --- My opinions only.           [email-masked]/[email-masked].
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left
to irresponsible action." -- George Washington

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim West)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 01:26:28 GMT

>effective are radiators versus anything else?

Well, I'm not a pro, but I do live in a house with cast iron
radiators. They heat great! Very even and uniform heat. Doesn't get
very dry in winter either. The only drawback is the size and the
looks. If you can get over that, don't worry about it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Kral)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 17:17:39 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>looks. If you can get over that, don't worry about it.

Some months ago, the "Old House Journal" had an article all about steam
heat, how to diagnose problems and how to care for the different types of
systems. Good reading.