Subject: Q-How to finish concrete block

From: [email-masked] (David Bezinque)
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 21:30:11 GMT

Hi there !!!  My wife and I want to build an earth sheltered house.
It will be made almost entirely of concrete block.  Depending on your
area, concrete block may be called foundation block or cinder block or
something else but I think most persons will know what I am refering
to here.  The problem is, how do we finish the block once the house is
built.  It can be painted but it is very porous and soaks up a LOT of
paint.  Also, it doesn't look very good.  We are sure other have had
this problem, hence the post.

Any suggestions will be SINCERLY appreciated.

_______________________________________________________________

David Bezinque   ><>

email [email-masked]

When I was in high school, I had a drivers education instructor that
was also a football coach.  He mispronounced my last name every day
for an entire year.

You learn as long as you live or else you stop living.

                                 =*=

---

From: William R Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 07:21:50 -0400

> this problem, hence the post.

You might want to consider concrete forms, instead.  They look something
like cinderblocks, except the are insulating material that concrete is 
poured into.  R-values are R-26 and higher, far better than cinder 
block.  And they are easier to finish.

Cheers,

Will Stewart

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 13 May 1996 15:20:59 GMT

>this problem, hence the post.

One approach is to leave it unpainted - For less than the cost of paint, you
can select colored, textured, different sized, or patterned concrete block
which might end up pleasing to you. 

Porous block soaking up paint is a problem that most paint manufacturers
have a "block-filler" for. This paint has short polyester fibers in it to bridge
the pores, making subsequent finish coats much less expensive.

Plaster can be applied to the block, completely hiding it.

There are hundreds of solutions, you simply have to decide which is 
most appropriate for your application, budget, tastes, craftspeople, etc.

W. Edward Blockley AIA, Architect
[email-masked]

---

From: Barbara Poeter Salls <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 20:38:03 -0700

David Bezinque wrote:
>                                  =*=Perhaps a finish from a company called Sto Industries will do it. Contact 
them at PO Box 44609, Atlanta, Georgia. Tel. (404) 346-3666, Toll Free 
(800) 221-2397, Fax (404) 346-3119. A Sto finish must be applied by a 
certified Sto technician in order to be warrantied, I believe. I don't 
how durability vairies with climate. Good luck.