Subject: Re: Cheap insulation question

From: [email-masked] (Alex D. Baird)
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 1995 06:42:43 GMT

[email-masked](CogswellAlexander) wrote:

>I have a  12' x 14' shed that I use as a design studio next to our home at
>7000' in the mountains above Boulder, CO.   
> 
>I need to insulate it to be able to work in it through the  winter.   
> 
>Little cash, don't want to pay huge electric bill to heat it. 
> 
>We use pellet stove in our home.  
> 
>My husband suggested lining the shed with plastic to create an airspace.   
> 
>Any suggestions?

YES!

You are on the right track with the plastic (called a vapor barrier)
but fiberglass insulation is not that expensive.  Your description
tells me that you have about 52 lineal feet of wall space and I'll
assume that the walls are 8 feet tall.  This gives 416 square feet
that you need to insulate.  Here in the cold side of Washington, I can
get insulation for about $.08/square foot.  That totals to under $50
if you do it your self, you should be able to do this too.

Success.

Alex