Subject: Re: Green roof support

From: [email-masked] (DDarrelD)
Date: 25 Mar 1996 23:45:19 -0500

The "greenest" solution would be to frame the roof of bamboo.  It's a
different technology (tying rather than nailing, curves rather than flat
pieces, probably more labor) but could be very strong and inexpensive. 
There is a conference coming up in Hawaii that I'm planning to attend May
24-26.  Email [email-masked]

Another solution is a panel system made of honeycombed kraft paper
laminated to plywood.  Makes a 4-6" thick sandwich that, as a floor
system, is capable of spanning 20'.  Might work in your situation only if
you're planning to have an attic to be able to insulate as these panels
are only rated to R-5.  
Bellcomb Tech. 612-521-2425
Hexagon 314-647-0701 makes the cores, but not finished panels.  They might
know someone near you as a supplier.

---

From: [email-masked] (Chad Okinaka)
Date: 27 Mar 1996 15:56:16 GMT

>you're planning to have an attic to be able to insulate as these panels

I'm not sure of the viability of this material for a earth roof system.  
Is the kraft paper coated with some kind of resin?  In the event of a roof
leak, would the paper lose it's structural strengh?

Chad Okinaka, AIA

---

From: pinetree <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 16:36:42 -0800

DDarrelD wrote:
> 
> It's glued together with a phenolic resin (waterproof).  Could use it
> under water. ( I asked then the same question)

We had a local company (San Francisco Bay Area) that make the stuff come 
over and give us demo, samples, etc info on this product.  Unfortunately 
I wasn't all that pleased with a lot of the answers that they had given 
to us.  We were esspecially concerned with the materials used and their 
carcinogenic levels.  We finally choose to go with other products, 
becuase they could prove themselves to us.

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (DDarrelD)
Date: 28 Mar 1996 05:11:31 -0500