Subject: Re: Eugene Tsui

From: [email-masked] (Pangloss8)
Date: 24 Jul 1995 23:16:42 -0400

Eugene Tsui is alive and well, designing wonderfully inventive
structures.  He was born in Cleveland in 1954, studied at Columbia and the
University of Oregon, apprenticed with Bruce Goff, and has taught at
Western Washington University. He also finished a house for his parents in
Berkeley, California earlier this year.  There is a nice but short article
on his work in A+U, April '86. 
        You might enjoy a trip to Chicago this summer to see an amazing
exhibition at The Art Institute on his friend and mentor, Bruce Goff.
There is also an accompanying catalog/book available through any
well-stocked bookstore which traces the development of Goff's art, music
and architecture. 
         Some of Tsui's correspondence with Goff is kept in the Goff
Archives at The Art Institute. Tsui was associated with Goff at the end of
Goff's life in the late 70s and early 80s, and the parallels in thinking
and design are quite evident.

---

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Simister )
Date: 30 Jul 1995 07:12:15 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Pangloss8)
>and design are quite evident.

I've seen a quite extensive article profiling some of his most recent
design philosophy in an issue of Mondo 2000.  I was taken by his
concepts, but, being a freshman in architectural school, I really can't
comment further.

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Liao)
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 1995 00:36:11 -0600

I've found books on Goff but not on Tsui, can someone give me some leads?
Thanks.