Subject: log drying

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 2 Jul 1996 02:02:27 GMT

My wife and I are going to be building a log cabin using red pine logs. 
They are to be milled flat on three sides, leaving the natural round on
the outside. We have pealed the bark on the logs and found some checking.
The logs have been down for about a month.
ÿThe saw mill owner told us that they are drying to fast, suggesting we
build a frame with plastic covering and keep them covered until used. I
didn't contradict him but thought to myself that they would dry faster
with a cover, does anyone care to comment? --
it is by words we are saved               keith bellinger
it is by words we are condemned           [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (audior1)
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 10:39:27 GMT

[email-masked] () wrote:

>with a cover, 
With a cover will slow drying if there is low air circulation. Higher
temperature and air circulation will increase drying. Suggest instead
polyethelene glycol painted on the inds of the logs to slow the
moisture loss. It is designed to do that. But no matter what you do
the logs are going to check as they dry. The smaller  younger growth
trees will warp and check the most as they don't have a tight grain.
Controlled drying in a Kiln is the only sure way to avoid this. Even
after you get the logs up in a wall they will continue to split and
check with internal strssing and moisture temperature differences
inside and out of your building. That's the nature of cabins. Yearly
chinking is to be expected and anyone who tells you different hasn't
lived in or built cabins. I've built more than a few and lived in
three. 
Renovation Specialists Inc.
Ren Heard
Master Builder
Bedford VA.

---

From: Dale Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 10:11:24 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> it is by words we are condemned           [email-masked] in the northwest we'd put sprinklers on them.  But every locality is 
diff.  If he's been in business long, trust him.  I'd paint the ends of 
them myself.  Use primer to control the drying rate.
Dale Wagner - Gardiner OR

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter B. Legere)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 09:40:03 +1000

In article <[email-masked]> Dale Wagner <[email-masked]> writes:
>Path:
>news.island.net!news.bctel.net!newsfeed.direct.ca!news.emf.net!gatech!newsfeed.i
>[email-masked]
>From: Dale Wagner <[email-masked]>
>Newsgroups: alt.architecture.alternative
>Subject: Re: log drying
>Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 10:11:24 -0700
>Organization: South Coast Area Network
>Lines: 23
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>References: <[email-masked]>
>NNTP-Posting-Host: 206.99.19.66
>Mime-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.0 (Win16; U)

>> =

>> the outside. We have pealed the bark on the logs and found some checking.=

>> =FFThe saw mill owner told us that they are drying to fast, suggesting we=

>> with a cover, does anyone care to comment? --
The Japanese make a saw cut about halfway through the log parallel to the long 
axis, This concentrates the shrinkage checks in one line, making them easier 
to deal with.
Peter B. Legere