Subject: Re: Polyurethane and/or sprayed concrete info?

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Nov 1995 20:12:36 GMT

In <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (John M. Bozeman) writes:
>I am looking for information on "alternative" architecture
>processes such as polyurethane construction and/or sprayed
>concrete.  Could somebody point me in the right direction
>for recent work in this area for small scale building?

John,

Get the Portland Cement Association Guide to Concrete Building Systems.  Very
comprehensive study of various foam and concrete building systems.  The one
I really like is extruded polystyrene panels which are assembled then shotcrete
in place.  Call 3D Insteel in Brunswick (or New Brunswick), Georgia to see if
there is a distributor near you, and you can get tons of very specific info from
them, e.g., engineering drawings, specs, nearby buildings and homes, etc.

Eric

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Hoglund)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 08:59:48 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] wrote:

>  >   Thanks,
>  >       John Bozeman
> Try Monolithic Domes
> Italy, Texas
> They blow-up air structures, spray urethanes on them from the inside, then
> apply shotcrete

Hi William,

I've heard & seen pictures of these Monolithic Domes, but wonder at their
actual "liveability", & must confess to being turned off by their
ugliness.  Have I missed seeing some attractive Domes, or is the
ugliness/economy a must do trade-off?

{To whoever answers, please email me as I sometimes miss the postings; Thanks}

Bruce Hoglund

____________________________________________________________

NOTE: The thoughts & comments above are the result of
pre-programmed genetic software, environmental influences, &
the chemical state of my bio-computer {brain} caused by a
pursuit of 'moderation in all things' type lifestyle.
Responsibility, in spite of the aforementioned, is still
mine alone!

Bruce Hoglund, 1995

____________________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 25 Jan 1996 15:00:43 GMT

> for recent work in this area for small scale building?

Try 3D Insteel out of Sydney, Georgia.  It's a steel wire-truss system through
a core of polystyrene (2.5" or 4") that takes 1-2" of shotcrete on both sides.
If you want you can just texture the shotcrete as desired after spraying and
leave it as is.  This system and others are detailed in the Portland Cement
Association's Guide to Concrete Building Systems.  There is also some int'l
corporation that has been manufacturing a similar system for over a decade.
These make for incredibly strong structures.

Eric Brown

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Hoglund)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 08:59:48 -0500

Hi William,

Bruce Hoglund

Bruce Hoglund, 1995

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 25 Jan 1996 15:00:43 GMT

Eric Brown