Subject: Re: Sustainable Urban Landcapes Design Charrette

From: Deborah White <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Aug 1995 07:11:18 GMT

I am an architect, and teach in a wide spread of related subjects in 
Architecture Departments at Sydney and Adelaide Universities. In 
Adelaide, my permanent residence in Australia, I live in a solar house 
in a permaculture garden, and I am a resident activist; we are currently 
assisting the local Council to revise its policies, practice and 
development plans to take account of ESD (environmentally sustainable 
development). 

I also live and work in Italy (on a farm in Tuscany which uses 
pre-industrial practices and uses no pesticides to produce oil, wine and 
other produce, while retaining the cultural and historical values of the 
landscape) and in Nepal. In Nepal I work with a non-Government 
Organisation in permaculture (permanently sustainable agriculture), with 
both peasant farmers (an annual income average of $100US) and government 
agricultural advisers, to attempt to ward off the eminent ecological 
collapse of the country under the combined pressure of unwise forestry 
and chemical use, poverty, inequalities and population growth.  

I am interested in your proposed competition. Will it include
a) work outside USA
b) work with landscapes providing subsistence and cultural meaning 
together (eg Third World)
c) work by non Americans?

What form will teh exhibits take?

Cheers
Deborah White