Subject: Re: rollin shower

From: John Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Mar 1996 17:28:49 GMT

If the lip is only a half inch (I believe I recall that from the original 
post, that I have lost) then why can't this be solved quite simply by 
beveling the lip? 4 to 6 inches of run should do quite nicely for a 
gently sloped surface .......am I missing something?

John Lane
UBC

---

From: Susan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 10:21:39 -0800

[email-masked] wrote:

>        Can anyone help me figure out how to lay tile that won't constanly
> come loose and/or a way to keep water in the stall without that cumbersome
> strip.

Well, okay.  My answer seems so obvious that it must be
wrong, but:

Why do you have to use tile at all?  Why can't you use cement
with a colorant added and/or swimming pool paint (maybe add
some of those 20 dollar hand cast picture tiles for interest)?
I wouldn't have used a marble stop.  I would have made a
"speed bump" to keep the water in and also slightly inclined
the floor on all sides to the drain.  Basically what I'm
describing is the group shower at the public pool or high school
locker room.

-Susan

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark de Roussier)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 00:01:13 GMT

>come loose and/or a way to keep water in the stall without that cumbersome

Can't help with the tiles, but heres an idea about the water problem.
The reason for the lip is to contain water, which then drains via ( I
assume ) some central drain. Why not replace the lip by a ( flat ! )
drain ? You could use this drain in place of the existing one ( you
might want to extend it all around the shower and raise the bed of the
shower slightly ), or just replace the lip. You'd be trading slightly
more complicated plumbing for a 'lip-less' solution. The drain cover
would need to be strong enough to stand on/roll over, and not hurt
feet or trap wheels, but that all seems easy enough.

NB I haven't tried this, but I've seen a related idea used around
swimming pools.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Final thoughts, as breath is taken,
                Fall to rhythm, and the
                Edge of pure obsession,
                Resting in the wind blown cradle,
                Nothing moves, the world is still...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Apr 1996 15:20:29 GMT

>NB I haven't tried this, but I've seen a related idea used around

Shower floors are made slightly concave to provide drainage to the 
center or sometimes slightly offcenter drain.  Your lipless solution
would not provide the needed drainage.  Showers can be built to provide
for wheelchair entry, etc. that do not have the "lip" but it is somewhat
more sophisticated than what you suggest. Drainage is important to 
control mold and other problems.