Subject: Re: Shetkaboard

From: [email-masked] (Rod Russell)
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 20:22:06 +1000

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Elaine Gallegos) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Elaine Gallegos)
>Subject: Re: Shetkaboard
>Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 07:02:13 GMT

>: In an article posted 19 Jan 1994, someone wrote about a new material 
>: made from waste paper products, called Shetkaboard, after its inventor,
>: Stanley J. Shetka.  Does anyone know what has happened to this stuff, 
>: or where it's at?  Any info?

>  I read recently of a wood substitute.  It's a combination of sawdust or 
>woodchips mixed with re-cycled plastic.  It doesn't have the tensile 
>strength of real wood, but does have several advantages.  It is strong, 
>even though it's not as strong as wood.  It is molded to the required 
>size, so there is no waste in sizing it.  It can be sawed, drilled and 
>hammered just like wood, but does not absorb water.  It can be used 
>outdoors, as with an uncovered deck, and does not require sanding or 
>painting.  It doesn't splinter.
>  It's almost as strong as wood, requiring a few more supporting studs, 
>but is similar to wood in cost, although it lasts much longer, not being 
>subject to the elements.

Sounds like you are talking about Trex.  If you are, it is not quite correct 
to say that it is "almost" as strong as wood.  It cannot even be used for deck 
posts that carry a load and will not span as far as wood when used as deck 
cap.  Additionaly, it is about twice as expensive as Redwood and is (my 
opinion of course) really ugly!  ;D  It is also prone to chipping although it 
can be worked like wood in  most cases.
      My apologies of course if there  is some new material just out, but Trex 
is the only one I've seen or heard of so far.  

Rod

|  Rod Russell    [email-masked] |
|  Digital Doorknobs, no more keys! Ever!      |
|  Home Accentuation Products Int'l              |
|  9256 B. Lincoln Dr EAFB, SD 57706          |
|                   (605) 923 4477                         |