Subject: ONTARIO building code questions

From: [email-masked] (Cori Stewart)
Date: 26 Jan 1996 22:09:06 GMT

I tried to peruse the Ontario Building Code ... even through some of the 
guides that are available, and still I am having GREAT difficulty finding 
quick answers to a few simple questions.  Here's the main question I 
have, for anyone out there who is familiar with the Ontario Building Code.

-> For a house built for only one person in mind, what is the smallest it is 
allowed to be?

I've read an article about something called micro-housing ... it was a 
house built 8'X12'.  There was a portion of the article dealing with 
'laws', and for where the author lived (somewhere in California), a house 
had to be at least 640 square feet, unless at least one person living in 
the dwelling was over 60 years of age (there is some law there allowing 
smaller accomodations for seniors on low incomes).

This is the only indication I have, and reading the Ontario Building Code 
was indeed a nightmare ... I found a lot about the maximum sizes for 
barn, pools, arenas and such, and i saw minimums for room and ceiling 
sizes, but nothing about the entire area of a dwelling.

Please help if you can.  I would also appreciate it if anyone can point 
me to any comprehensive books, pamphlets, guides, etc that would help me 
with simple questions lacking lawyer jargon.

Take care.

-T. Shawn Johnson
(currently using Cori's account)