Subject: Re: Movable homes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 01:47:53 PDT

In article <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> writes:
> Path: 
news.pi.net!news.nic.surfnet.nl!sun4nl!EU.net!newsfeed.internetmci.com!in2.uu.ne
t!winternet.com!interactive.net!usenet
> From: [email-masked] (Stephen Griese)
> Newsgroups: alt.architecture.alternative
> Subject: Movable homes
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 14:01:45 GMT
> Organization: InterActive Networks, Inc. - Paterson, NJ
> Lines: 17
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> NNTP-Posting-Host: onyx.interactive.net
> X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.0.82
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> I'm trying to find out what sorts of building systems are out there
> that would allow a house to be built and then dismantled, with the
> goal being to seperate the structure of the house from the real estate
> upon which it is located.  I'm thinking of some sort of "bolt
> together" structure, or one made up of small modules that could be
> "stacked" and then transported and "restacked".
> 
> With peoples' increasing mobility due to economic factors, a market
> may develop for a high quality home that could periodically move with
> its owner.
> 
> I look forward to hearing your ideas on this subject.
> 
> Stephen Griese
> 
> 
Tents !

---

From: [email-masked] (StevenD280)
Date: 25 Jan 1996 02:00:23 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

>may develop for a high quality home that could periodically move with

It already exists......  It is called a "mobile home."

Steve

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (JasGol2000)
Date: 25 Jan 1996 05:53:00 -0500

Stephen--

I remember as a child being taken to see a factory somewhere near
Wilkes-Barre, PA where such bolt-together homes were produced.  Little did
I know at that point that I would end up an architect.

In any case, the company was Wickes Lumber.  The houses were manufactured
as two or more mobile-home sized units that were loaded onto flatbed and
shipped to wherever.  The houses were very ordinary (traditional/suburban)
in external appearance, and I have no idea of how they were organized
internally.  My guess, however, is that once these homes were placed on
foundations, they were never moved.

I wonder, in any case:  why would anyone want to move their house?  What
if you're moving to a different climate or terrain?  When relocating, at
least to cities or suburbs, wouldn't it be easier to find land with a
house already on it than vacant land?  Or would these become glorified,
upscale mobile homes, sequestered in "parks" that provide "ready-to-build"
parcels, utilities and neighbors in place, for already-built houses?  You
never know.

Good luck in any case.

--Jason Gold

---

From: [email-masked] (YORESOFT)
Date: 25 Jan 1996 13:36:22 -0500

Actually, these are called modular prefabricated homes.  They usually cost
50% more per sq. foot than a mobile home.  They are not however; made to
be moved after they have been installed.

There are many mfg. of these homes.

Rick

---

From: Ward Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 17:32:58 +0000

Maybe someone here can answer some of these questions.

I just finished The Straw-Bale House.  Amazing book, and they make 
reference to several things that People might know more about.

1:  It was stated that in some areas where straw may not be readily 
available, other materials could be used.  Among those mentioned is 
Recycled materials (newspaper, etc.).  Does anyone reading this have 
experience with Recycled Newspaper-Bale construction?

2:  Pine straw is abundant here in the south, but is it really 
flammable?  Would the same fire retarding features exhibited in 
general straw-clay construction reduce the flammability of a 
pinestraw&clay form?  I'm going to do a few tests, but someone may 
have already tried this.

3:  Several mentions were made of Nader Khalili's recent work, using 
sandbags filled with wet dirt, formed into vaults and domes, and 
left to dry then plastered.  I don't see it documented heavily in 
his book "Ceramic Houses" or "Racing Alone" and I wonder if there is 
some other publication or newsletter that goes more into detail.

Well, if you can answer 1 out of three, I'll be happy.  TIA.Stephen 
Griese wrote:

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 01:47:53 PDT

Tents !

---

From: [email-masked] (StevenD280)
Date: 25 Jan 1996 02:00:23 -0500

Steve

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (JasGol2000)
Date: 25 Jan 1996 05:53:00 -0500

Stephen--

Good luck in any case.

--Jason Gold

---

From: [email-masked] (YORESOFT)
Date: 25 Jan 1996 13:36:22 -0500

Rick

---

From: Ward Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 17:32:58 +0000