Subject: Re: insulation alternatives?

From: Barry Keir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 01:44:36 GMT

[email-masked] (William Laven) wrote:
>I'm doing a renovation of a 1950's wood frame house; limited $ keeps me
>from starting over so right now I'm dealing with standard roof rafters and
>wall studs and it will stay that way. Does anyone know of an
>ecologically-friendly insulation material to use in lieu of fiberglass or
>styrofam-like products?

In Australia, one method is Recycled newspapers (Cellulose), which is simply broken 
and fluffed up, treated with an anti-pest, flame-proof mixture of 
chemicals(primarily low-tech, low toxicity borax). It is "blown" in.
 
Good luck

---

From: [email-masked] (Cori Stewart)
Date: 26 Jan 1996 21:59:44 GMT

Barry Keir ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] (William Laven) wrote:
: >I'm doing a renovation of a 1950's wood frame house; limited $ keeps me
: >from starting over so right now I'm dealing with standard roof rafters and
: >wall studs and it will stay that way. Does anyone know of an
: >ecologically-friendly insulation material to use in lieu of fiberglass or
: >styrofam-like products?

I've heard popcorn works well as a low tech solution ... anyone else?  
Although some treatment might be needed if at all possible for fireproofing.

-T. Shawn Johnson
(using Cori's account)

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Austin)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 20:48:58 -0600

>chemicals(primarily low-tech, low toxicity borax). It is "blown" in.

Yes, cellulose insulation which is usually mixed with borax or similar
product for pest exclusion and fire retardant.

In Germany, straw is mixed with a clay slurry coating is used as an
insulation by packing into the wall cavity. It is know to have lasted 700
years. Must be fireproofed by coating with plaster. See our site for more
info.

-- 
  Richard Austin -- [email-masked]
   Institute for Planetary Renewal
    http://www.rt66.com/~richard/

---

From: Barry Keir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 01:44:36 GMT

Good luck

---

From: [email-masked] (Cori Stewart)
Date: 26 Jan 1996 21:59:44 GMT

-T. Shawn Johnson
(using Cori's account)

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Austin)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 20:48:58 -0600

---

From: [email-masked] (G Roark)
Date: 28 Jan 1996 04:44:37 -0500

hi barry,
look up march 1996 issue of "Fine Homebuilding" by taunton press. 
check out wool insulation. 
good luck