Subject: The War Between Architects, Engineers, and Interior Designers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 17:47:47 GMT

To All Architects, Engineers, and Interior Designers:

As you may all know, a lot is going on in legislation concerning the
rights of each profession.  I am curious as to other's views on this
matter of what each of us is allowed to do and not do.

First off, I do firmly believe that all three of these professions
should work together on a project.  No need for anger towards each
other.  As of now, I am an Interior Design student.  I've been hearing
so much lately that Architects don't care very much for my profession.
It is our duty to design living spaces for people to exist in
according to what they need and ask for.  Current law tells Interior
Designers that we cannot do certain jobs that an architect is allowed
to do.  The same goes for Engineers.  They are not allowed to enter
any practice that an architect might do as well even though they are
well endowed with the skills to do so.  Failure to comply with these
reguluations is a serious matter and that person is subject to legal
"problems."

However, in the recent decline in work for Architects, they seek work
doing Interior spaces.  They have no knowledge of Interior living.
Interior Designers do.  We learn the dynamics of color theory,
furniture placement, materials and textiles, etc. The sad part is that
it is NOT illegal for them to do this Interior Design work which is a
travesty.  If we cannot invade on their profession, why should they be
allowed to invade on ours?  Yet, if an Interior Designer or Engineer
go out of bounds for one slight second, they are hounded upon by the
powerful architects.  

This all has to change.  We should be allwed to sign our own name to
our technical drawings and not sit in the background.  Architects
should not invade in our profession.  Let US take care of the
interiors.  We know all about them.  

I would really like to hear different opinions on this matter. E-mail
me if possible, but please post opinions as well for others to read.

Sincerely,

Steve Vaccaro ASID

Who knows, maybe someday all that will be needed will be interior
Designers and Engineers...

---

From: Dave Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 15:02:34 -0700

[email-masked] lamented that eng./ID folks can't arhictect even if
they have the necessary skills:
>They [interior designers, engineers] are not allowed to enter any practice 
>that an architect might do as well even though they are well endowed with 
>the skills to do so.  

[email-masked] then went on to say that no arhictects know anything
about interior design even though they're trying to do it:
> Interior Designers do.  

   Doesn't this seem a little lopsided?

-- 
Dave Newton           |           TOFU             |   (voice) (970) 225-4841
Symbios Logic, Inc.   | Real Food for Real People. |     (fax) (970) 226-9582
2057 Vermont Dr.      |                            | [email-masked]
Ft. Collins, CO 80526 | The World Series diverges! |        (Geek joke.)