Subject: Re: Borax as Wood Preservative ?

From: [email-masked] (John A. Stanley)
Date: 9 May 1995 10:44:25 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Guy5923) wrote:
> Well, boric acid is the standard treatment to cellulose insulation for the
> purposes stated as well as fire retardent, so it's seem like it would work
> for wood. Don't have it in front of me but the Green Builder Program
> Handbook, Austin, TX. mentions alternatives to creosote and pressure
> treating, something like boric acid treament.

Only problem is borax and boric acid are water soluble, so the
wood preserving effect will leach out over time if the wood is
used in a wet location. If used in a dry situation the
borax/boric acid _will_ keep termites at bay.

--
John A. Stanley                      [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (don riedel)
Date: Tue, 09 May 1995 17:53:44 GMT

>borax/boric acid _will_ keep termites at bay.

Recent research on treating bamboo would indicate soaking in a 2.5 %
solution of boric acid and borax (1:1.54 ratio) is effective for
termites and powder post beetles.  Dusting is also effective on the
surfaces reached, but leaves other parts vulnerable.  Boric acid is
also effective in controlling ants, cockroaches, silverfish,
palmettobugs, and their cousins.  The leaching of the agent when
exposed to water is a deterrent.  Has anyone tried treatment with
boric acid/borax and then sealing the material with some waterproofing

product?
email: [email-masked]
snailmail: Box 247, Anahola, Hawaii 96703, USA
phone & fax: 808/822.3952