Subject: Rammed earth

From: [email-masked] (Branch)
Date: 30 Jul 1995 18:54:10 GMT

Posted a request previously, but received no response.  Would appreciate
any leads on books/resources on rammed earth building construction
methods, design, techniques, code problems, etc.  Is the U.N. still 
using the CinvaRam it developed in Columbia, S.A.?  Didn't South Africa
develop an automated version of the same brick maker?  

Thanks for any help.  Would love to follow a thread if someone would
pick it up.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 01 Aug 1995 20:22:04 GMT

Check out _Cordwood, Stone and Earth Masonry_ (I don't remember the author).
It has a section on rammed earth including a page or so of references for
rammed earth/ soil cement.  If you can't find the book, let me know and I'll
put together the references for you.

Also, after reading in this book that Schrader Bellows in Akron, Ohio, is the
US representative for the Cinva-Ram, I contacted them to try to get some
information.  They replied that they no longer carry the Cinva-Ram and had
no knowledge of any place in the US that did.

---

From: Brenda Jo Barrett <bbarrett@comp>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 11:55:19 -0500

> Thanks for any help.  Would love to follow a thread if someone would

Here's a couple of books I checked out of our University's library this 
past winter:

Adobe and Rammed Earth Buildings : Design and Cosntruction
                             by:  Paul Graham McHenry
                        Pub. by:  Wiley, New York, (c) 1984
                          ISBN#:  0471876771
Library of Congress Call Number:  TH 4818 .A3 M3 1984

and

A Qualitative Comparison of Rammed Earth and Sun-Dried Adobe Brick
                             by:  Richard Hudson Clough
                        Pub. by:  University of New Mexico Press,
                                  Albuquerque, New Mexico (c) 1950
Library of Congress Call Number:  TH 1421 .C55

I found the first book to be quite helpful.  The second book, I thought, was
rather dry, being predominated by statistical charts, etc., but might 
contain information useful to you.

Hope this helps!
Brenda Jo Barrett
[email-masked]

---

From: Richard Austin <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Aug 1995 02:50:02 GMT

Earthships are not that cheap. The walls are labor intensive (expensive 
in time/money) and the roofs are very expensive. I do not believe 
earthships are a low cost solution.

Richard Austin  --  email: [email-masked]  --  radio: KG7SU
-------------------------------------------------------
              Institute for Planetary Renewal
"Creating a Better World Through Healing & Design"