Subject: Underground Structures

From: [email-masked] (James E Smith)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:22:13 GMT

Is there a standard  measurement or formula for concrete structures
that are comepletely built underground?

---

From: Jason Mansfield Roth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 22:23:27 -0400

>that are comepletely built underground?

Formula for...? I'm assuming you mean structural, in which case you're
dealing with hydrostatic pressures (62.4 lb/cu. in., or something --
hey, it's been 4 years). As for rules of thumb, all I can say is that
retaining wall formulae pertain. For modest structures, the concrete is
not at all outrageous, but big spans increase exponentially .

JMR

93 SL2, blue-green

"I never gave anyone hell -- I just told 'em the truth, and they thought
it was hell."

"What's the use of a good house if you don't have a decent planet to put
it on?"