Subject: Looking for information on geodesic domes

From: Brian K Petroski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:08:03 -0500

Hello.  I'm new here.  For a couple of years now I've been reading, 
studying, and building various sized models of different geodesic domes.  
My eventual goal is to build my own house.  What I have in mind is to 
build a geodesic dome and cover it with an earth mound for the advantages 
of an undergound house (mostly heating efficenty).

     It seems nearly all of the books I have found date back to the 
'70s.  I can understand some of the problems they faced and why the domes 
didn't take off as they projected.  Some of these I think were personal 
issues that are not important to me so I'll ignore them.  Some were 
truely building considerations, most notable that the vast majority of 
the owner built domes leaked.  I think lessons can be learned from that 
and by applying those lessons and some modern materials which were not 
available or too expensive twenty years ago these problems can be 
overcome.  The other thing I've run into is that most books only cover 
domes of the two or three frequency breakdowns.

     I'm looking for any information concerning geodesic domes.  In my 
particular instance, due to the earth shelter idea meaning a good amount 
of dead weight on the roof, I am mostly looking at higher frequency domes 
to be able to support the load without the beams getting to large to be 
workable.  My currentl vision is for a dome of about 40' diameter, and 
likely it will be linked to some smaller domes with connecting archways.  
I think to do this and support the earth load I will probably need to go 
with a 6v or 8v alternative dome.  This way I should be able to support 
the load and still keep the main beams to no more than about 5' long and 
a weight that they can still be carried and put in place by two people.

			    Brian Petroski
			Just your stereotypical
			     polyamorous,
			       bisexual
			    solitary pagan

---

From: [email-masked] (Terry Egan)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 07:41:43 -0700

Brian K Petroski <[email-masked]> remodulated the electrons, thusly:

>	...
>     I'm looking for any information concerning geodesic domes. 
>
>			    Brian Petroski

	Brian, try  bit.listserv.geodesic, for a Usenet newsgroup on domes.
Every so often, a FAQ is posted there.

---

From: Ken Gorski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 22:24:42 -0600

Brian..As an architect who had to put up with Bucky Fullers endless 
lectures ..really suggest you post a post for info on one of the search 
engines...geo domes are a piece of cake..simple statics and 
geometry..don't need complicated kits..best of luck Brian...ken

---

From: Brian K Petroski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 00:03:18 -0500

> Every so often, a FAQ is posted there.

     Thanks, I saw that one mentioned in another message here.  My server 
doesn't currently carry it but I have requested they pick it up.

			    Brian Petroski
			Just your stereotypical
			     polyamorous,
			       bisexual
			    solitary pagan

---

From: Brian K Petroski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 14:36:00 -0500

> geometry..don't need complicated kits..best of luck Brian...ken

     I haven't dealt with Bucky's math myself, but have found other books 
that include the angles and cord factors.  Problem is most of these only 
deal with two or three fequency domes.  I think to support the load I 
have in midn I will probably need to go to somethng like a six frequency 
and so far I have not been able to find cord factors for those.  What 
would be ideal is if I could find a computer program that would calculate 
the angles and cord factors for me.  Once I have a table of those I can 
build the structure myself, I just need to know how to cut the beams and 
which ones fit where.  

     I have passed entirely on the kits.  I've built many models out of 
plastic straws and coffee sits with pipe cleaners or bag twist ties, 
paper taped or stapled together, medical applicator sticks using plastic 
coffee stirs melted together to form hubs, and have tired with pretty 
much everything I could fish out of the recycling bins.  :)  There have 
all been table top sized models so far.  I've just started on one out of 
newspaper rolls that will be 6' in diameter.  When it's done I can lay in 
it on my futon and give it to the kids as a play tent.  Next one after 
that I'm going ot try building one out of furring stips and staple 
plastic over it to use as a greenhouse so I'll make it big enough to 
stand up in.  I might decide to skip the furring stips and do that out of 
sometihing like 2x2s instead just becuase it would give me practice with 
cutting the angles on the ends of the struts.

			    Brian Petroski
			Just your stereotypical
			     polyamorous,
			       bisexual
			    solitary pagan