Subject: THE JUICE: Competition Winners

From: [email-masked] (TheEnd5517)
Date: 9 Aug 1995 09:55:45 -0400

THE END

Bastille Day
July 14, 1995

On June 9 and 10, 1995 a very spirited eleven man jury reviewed 350
projects submitted to THE JUICE competition.

On the first day the jury weeded out three dozen projects for their second
day of deliberations.  Sixteen of these projects made the final cut. 
Twelve were judged worthy of distinction and commendation.  The jury did
not select just one first prize winner.  The jury selected five winners. 
Compensation for the winners was left at the discretion of the
Professional Advisor and the Organizer.  The jury also selected seven
projects as worthy of citation.  The jury indicated that none of the
honourable mentions be premiated.  One recipient of highest honours and
one recipient of a citation were disqualified on technical grounds after
the jury had concluded.  The jury honour roll (after disqualifications and
in an order preferred by the Organizer, i.e., THE END) follows:

HIGHEST HONOURS (Winners; $2,500 premiation):

Phil Overbaugh, Architect	               Oakland, California

Anurag Nema	                                 Dallas, Texas/Shahdol,
India

Yuji Fukui	                                                   London,
United Kingdom

Richard Williams, with James Tharp       Fort Worth, Texas

CITATIONS OF MERIT (Honourable Mentions; no premiation):

Paul van der Erve, Architect	Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Eric Ritchey, with Angeleine Askham

                                                      Washington State
University	
                                                      Pullman, Washington

Chu Tzu-Hao, with Su Yu-Hwa	London, United Kingdom

Keith Moskow, Architect	Boston, Massachusetts

Wes Wazni	                  New Haven, Connecticut

Anthony R. Guida, with Michael W. Jacobs

                                                     University of
Kentucky	                                                    
Lexington, Kentucky

Other finalists included:

David K. Wagner, Architect,
with Larry McFall, Sam Yue and Scott Blackburn	
	
                                                           Charlotte,
North Carolina

Akemi Iwaki, with Chisako Nakamura

                                                           Kyoto Institute
of Technology	                                                          
Kyoto, Japan

Peter Szczepaniak	                       London, United Kingdom

Anke Naujokat,
with Christina Lill and Ulrich Moller	

                                                           Aachen, Germany

Semi-finalists included:

Laurel Denise Keene - Bay City, Michigan;

Randy Walker, Kathleen Lane - Portland, Oregon;

Daniel J. Scully, W. Charles Gibson, Alan N. Saucier, Susan
Phillips-Hungerford - Peterborough, New Hampshire;

Peter Cook, Boris Srdar - Indianola, Washington; 

David W. Goldberg - Seattle, Washington; 

David Rockwood - Brooklyn, New York;

Samantha Perkins - Arlington, Texas;

Andrew R. Cruickshank, Robert T. Gardner, Angela R. Gardner - South Miami,
Florida; 

Scott Rimmer - San Diego, California; 

Jon Bryan Burley -Perrinton, Michigan; 

Armeson, Castro, Limon & Lopez - Capistrano Beach, California;

Brian G. Boake - Don Mills, Ontario;

Amit Green, Toby Edward - London, United Kingdom; 

Pere Armadas, Montse Samarra - Barcelona, Spain; 

Carlo G. Gross - Hamburg, Germany;

Dimmity Walker, Felicity Walker, Jane Wetherall - Perth, Australia;

Eugen Jindra - Praha, Czech Republik; Alexei Jylin, Alex Tsimailo -
Moscow, Russia;

Oliver Elser, Andreas Doll -Berlin, Germany; Barry Walsh - Timaru, New
Zealand.

An article regarding the jury of THE JUICE appeared in the June 11, 1995
issue of the Los Angeles Times.  Results of THE JUICE will also most
likely appear in upcoming issues of Competitions (P.O. Box 20445,
Louisville, Kentucky 40250) and Compe + Contest (Synectics, Inc., Room
202, 4-9-24 Sendagaya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan 151).  An article
regarding THE END is slated to appear in the October 1995 issue of World
Architecture.  For future developments in THE JUICE (including an Internet
exhibition) and further announcements by THE END please see future
postings at the USENET newsgroups: alt.architecture and
alt.architecture.alternative. THE END may also be contacted by e- mail at
either [email-masked] or [email-masked] until further notice.

The Jury, THE END and the Professional Advisor would like to thank all
competitors for their interest and participation in THE JUICE.  We hope
you enjoyed THE JUICE and that you consider entering future competitions
organized by THE END. Congratulations to all.

Sincerely,

Jane Harding Housden, A.I.A.
Professional Advisor, THE JUICE

THE END

PO BOX 1332
CULVER CITY, CA
90232

TEL/FAX: 213-296-6226