Subject: Starlite (was Re: THERMAL PAINT?)

From: [email-masked] (george p swanton)
Date: 20 Mar 1997 11:43:45 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
Willie Schmit, CRL <[email-masked]> wrote:
>[email-masked] wrote:

>> There is a material called " Starlite "  an inventor from england 
>> has created.

[...]

>> He does a demo. by dipping a raw egg in it and playing a Oxy-Acetelene torch
>> over it for 15 minutes. he then cracks the egg and it is still raw, with the
>> tempature still being the same as when started.
>> 
>> The web page is on the Discovery Channel's web page.

>I remember seeing a story on that stuff on tv somewhere
>I couldn't find the web page @ discovery
>I would love to hear more about the formula (common grocery store stuff)

I saw this program also. It was indeed fascinating. However, it
appears that inventor guards the formula and procedures for making
the stuff so jealously as to preclude its development for any real-world 
application. At least this was the situation some years ago. 
Can anyone report anything new?

This is unfortunate as it could prove _very_ useful if it performs as 
claimed. Paranoia aside, the only reason I can think of for not marketing 
the stuff is that the inventor is aware of some undisclosed undesirable
attribute which might prevent practical application (ie perhaps it 
biodegrades rapidly, is highly suceptible to UV radiation, etc). 

gps

Note: followups to sci.energy to cut crossposting
      (may not be the best group but seemed best of included groups)