Subject: November Photovoltaic Wrkshp, Tucson, AZ

From: Laurie Loeb <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Aug 1996 19:17:42 GMT

A Photovoltaic Design and Installation Workshop will be held in Tucson, 
AZ November 4 - 9. Offered by Solar Energy International (SEI) as part of 
their 1996 RENEWABLE ENERGY EDUCATION PROGRAM (REEP), the workshop will 
teach you how to use solar energy to produce your own electricity through 
practical design and installation of photovoltaic (PV) systems.

Participants in the PV Design & Installation workshop learn how to use PV 
(photovoltaic) technology to produce their own electricity from the sun 
through practical design and installation of PV systems.  Participants 
learn system sizing, site analysis, hardware specification and component 
selection.

The workshop covers typical applications and case study examples.  
Participants will install an operational system in the field and learn 
the proper use of tools and safety precautions.  This workshop is for the 
beginner who wants to use PV, owner-builders, people seeking careers as 
solar professionals or seeking employment in the solar industry, and 
people wanting to work in developing countries.

Topics Include:

* Basics of Electricity            
* Solar Site Analysis             
* Stand-Alone Applications
* PV System Components            
* Energy Efficient Appliances     
* Component Specification         
* Safety Procedures & Code

Other Activities Include:

* Tours of PV Residences 
* Laboratory Exercises
* Hands-on Installation

The workshop will be held from 9 am to 5 pm daily, November 4 - 9, at the 
Cooper Environmental Science Center in Tucson.  The all-inclusive fee is 
$500 and includes lodging.  Over the last three years SEI has 
participated in yearly workshops aimed at taking the Cooper campus "off 
the grid."  By the end of this workshop, CESC will be completely solar 
powered.

Lodging will be on the site in cabins which accommodate 12 people.  
Bedding is not included, so participants should bring their own sleeping 
bag, sheets, blanket, etc.  Participants will be installing solar systems 
on cabins in which they are staying.  Water, electricity and kitchen 
facilities are available.

Lodging at CESC is optional.  If you prefer to stay at another location, 
please make your own arrangements, and let us know that you won't be 
staying in the provided lodging. 

CESC, surrounded by Saguaro cactus, is nestled in the mountains of 
Tucson. In November day-time temperatures range from 65 to 70 degrees 
Farenheit, with cool evenings.  Escape the early wet winter chills and 
join us for a fantastic learning experience in sunny Arizona!

For general information and registration, contact:

Solar Energy International
PO Box 715
Carbondale, CO 81623-0715
Tel: (970) 963-8855
FAX: (970) 963-8866
E-mail: [email-masked]
http://solstice.crest.org/renewables/sei/

SEI is a non-profit 501(c)3 educational organization whose mission is to
encourage the practical use of renewable energies through education and 
technical assistance.