Subject: Re: Solar Water heating - lots of questiions

From: [email-masked] (Guss Wilder)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 96 23:11:47 GMT

In article <01bb9c2c$f1de6a80$62070ccf@Psandyb>, "SandyB" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I went to the local fair and was intriqued by the solar hot water guys
>display. 
>My questions??  Is it worth it?  Are they trouble free?
>
Based on my experience with two houses that had solar hot water I would say 
that they are not worth it due to ongoing maintenance costs.  Energy costs in 
your area, however, may be much higher than the 8 cents/kwh in my area and 
you may gain greater benefits.  You probably do not suffer the freeze damage 
problems that happen in many areas either.
In your cost calculations, remember that lightning may strike the electronics, 
especially on roof mounted units, and it's not cheap to replace.  Also, the 
pumps wear out.  Then too, when tanks wear out, you will have a much more 
expensive tank to replace.  It is also hard to find competent repair people.  
Most of the big plumbing shops in my area (Fla.) stopped working on them 
because of user dissatisfaction, and it is only expensive (what I call 
"specialty botique") places that work on them.  Ask several reputable plumbing 
places in your area about it before making the investment.  Get prices on 
replacing the individual components too, so you will know what to expect.

---

From: Bob Crain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 16:36:07 -0400

> replacing the individual components too, so you will know what to expect.

The above would seem only to apply to active systems. The lifetime
maintence cost of most passive solar water heaters (batch heaters) is
zero!  Maintenence costs, when they occur typically involve removing and
replacing the collector to repair the roof when it wears out!

The above does come with the caveat that the collector is installed
corectly. For instance, using a Pressure / Temperature valve on a batch
heater will cause it to "blow of" quite often, and after a few cycles of
that it will no longer seat. Using a Pressure Only relief valve avoids
the "blow off" problem and is the "only way to go". (In a pinch the temp
probe of a P/T valve can be cut off). Also drains need to to be able to
drain (No water running uphill).

Solar Water Heating got more than it's share of black eyes during the
"bad ol' days" of Tax Credits. Continuing to build high quality, low
maintainence systems to meet todays requirements, while hearing the
horror stories that others generated can sometimes be quite
disheartening. But usually it just makes us work harder.

Bob Crain
Plant Manager
Thermal Conversion Technology
Manufacturers of the ProgressivTube Solar Water Heaters
Sarasota, FL