Subject: Re: Copper vs. Plastic for Pool

From: "R. Daniel Davies" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 10:24:10 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, Bill Husler
<[email-masked]> writes
>I have to replace my current 5 panel fafco system (15 years old) and have
>had both copper and plastic recommended to me. I am intriqued by Copper
>since it would extend the swimming season, but a concerned about the
>plastic proponents contention that Chlorine eats copper. Does anyone have
>any experience with Copper panels? How much Chorine is OK? If I shock the
>pool, will it devour my panels?
>Bill
>
>Please remember to always flame via private eMail - the rest of the group is 
>just not interested.

Chlorine is an oxidiser and thefore will attack both copper and
plastics!  In the presence of some metals in the water, such as copper,
the effects of the oxidation degradation process are accelerated.
Chlorides and sulphates in the pool water will also attack the copper.
Hence plastics will probably be a safer bet from a corrosion point of
view depending upon which type of plastics is used.  I know it may be
obvious, but a large amount of filters and pool piping etc is already
plastics.
Hope this helps some.
Daniel Davies