Subject: Renewable Energy Education Program

From: Laurie Loeb <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Aug 1996 19:12:54 GMT

Solar Energy International's

          1996 RENEWABLE ENERGY EDUCATION PROGRAM (REEP)

               A Description of Individual Workshops

  ============================================================

     Section 1      Workshops to be held in Carbondale, CO
     Section 2      Tuition cost and general information about REEP '96
     Section 3      Workshops to be held in:
                         Tucson, AZ
                         Asheville, NC
                         Woodstock, NY
                         Wilmington, NC
     Section 4      Who is Solar Energy International?

  ============================================================

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<   S E C T I O N   1 :  Workshops in Carbondale, CO   >>>>>

PHOTOVOLTAICS DESIGN & INSTALLATION
May 28 - June 7,  August 5 - 16

Participants in the PV Design & Installation workshop learn how
to use PV (photovoltaic) technology to produce their own
electricity from the sun through practical design and
installation of PV systems.  Participants learn system sizing,
site analysis, hardware specification and component selection.
The workshop covers typical applications and case study
examples.  Install an operational system in the field and learn
the proper use of tools and safety precautions.  This workshop is
for the beginner who wants to use PV or for those seeking
employment in the solar industry.

Topics Include:

* Home Applications                * Component Specification
* Basics of Electricity            * Basic Electrical Wiring
* Solar Site Analysis              * Safety Procedures
* PV System Components             * Solar Water Pumping
* Energy Efficient Appliances      * PV for Lesser Developed
* PV System Sizing                    Countries

Other Activities Include:

* Tours of PV Residences           * Laboratory Exercises
* Industry Representatives         * Field Installation

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

ADVANCED PHOTOVOLTAICS
 June 10 - 21,  August 19 - 30

In this PV workshop, participants develop an in-depth
understanding and skills in the design, installation and
operation of photovoltaic systems.  (Participants should be
knowledgeable in electric theory and the design/installation of
basic PV systems or have completed the PV Design & Installation
course).  Activities include hands-on laboratory exercises with
batteries, inverters, controls, wiring and AC and DC appliances.
Case studies will highlight systems design for code compliance
and commercial applications.  This workshop is for people who
currently work in or plan to be employed in the PV industry.

Topics Include:

* Commercial Applications          * Lightning Protection
* Solar Water Pumping              * Battery Technology
* PV Software Programs             * Hybrid Systems
* Component  O & M                 * PV Businesses
* National Electric Code           * Inverters
* Troubleshooting

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

SOLAR HOME DESIGN
May 6 - 17,  September 16 - 27

Learn the fundamentals of solar and energy-efficient
construction.  The workshops cover high performance passive solar
homes.  State-of-the-art passive solar design
tools and progressive building techniques are presented.  New
construction, remodel/retrofit opportunities, case studies and
tours of successful designs will also be included in these
workshops.

Topics include:

* Passive Solar Concepts           * Sunspaces & Greenhouses
* Design Guidelines                * New Window Technologies
* Weatherizing & Solarizing        * Health Issues
* Insulation Strategies            * Mechanical HVAC Systems
* Construction Techniques          * Earth Building Technologies
* Solar Water Heating              * Lessons Learned

ENVIRONMENTAL BUILDING TECHNOLOGIES
Weekend Hands-On Workshops: Friday 7-10pm, Sat. & Sun. 9 - 5

Straw-Bale Construction:  May 3 - 5,  September 13 - 15
Adobe & Rammed Earth:  May 10 - 12, September 20 - 22
Natural House Building:  May 17 - 19,  September 27 - 29

Straw-Bale Construction - Covers the history and recent
renaissance of building long-lasting, low cost, fire resistant,
energy efficient homes with straw-bales.  Build a straw-bale
structure through hands-on instruction.

Adobe & Rammed Earth Construction - Explores adobe, pressed block
and rammed earth construction. Learn soil testing, adobe and
block making, foundations, roof options and practical building
techniques.

Natural House Building-  Learn how natural building materials can enhance 
your home. Learn
the construction techniques of timber framing, straw/clay
building, earth plastering, earthen floors and "green" products.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

SOLAR COOKING
July 1 - 3

This workshop covers the fundamental principles of solar
cooking and solar food drying.  Participants receive
hands-on instruction and will build their own solar oven.  A
variety of cooker and dryer designs and their applications are
explored.

Topics Include:

* Basic Solar Thermal Principles   * Solar Water Distillation
* Dryer Sizing & Construction      * Technology Transfer
* Various Dryer & Cooker Styles   * Cooker Construction
* Multi-Uses of Solar Cookers

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

MICRO-HYDRO ELECTRIC
July 8 - 19

This workshop teaches how to design a fully functional
micro-hydro system.  Learn site evaluation, including how to
measure and estimate head and flow.  Perform preliminary
system sizing for mechanical and electrical power generation of
50 watt to 100 kilowatt capacities.  The course includes
field exercises and tours of operational systems.

Topics Include:

* System Components                * Controls
* Turbine Types                    * Trouble-Shooting
* AC and DC Systems                * Maintenance
* Site Analysis                    * Hybrid Systems
* System Design                    * Case Studies
* Battery Storage

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

WIND POWER
July 22 - August 2

Participants learn to design and install wind generator systems. Focus is 
on small scale systems
3KW to 10KW. Hands-on project with  full-size wind generators.

Topics Include:

* Aerodynamics                     * System Sizing
* Generators                       * Safety Considerations
* Alternators                      * Energy Storage
* Induction Machines               * Legal Issues
* Tower Design                     * Solar Hybrid Systems
* Site Analysis

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<  S E C T I O N   2 :  Tuition cost and general information  >>

REEP '96 workshops in Carbondale are two weeks long, with the exception 
of solar cooking
(three days).
Tuition, which includes the cost of textbooks and materials,
is based on the number of weeks of study:

# of weeks:    1     2      3       4      5      6        7       8     
   9       10       12
Tuition ($):  450   900   1300  1700  2000  2300   2550   2800   3000   
3200

Additional weeks of study cost $200 per week.
(solar cooking workshop is $300)

Food and housing are not included in the tuition cost, but SEI
will be happy to help you find suitable lodging.

SEI believes that people learn by doing.  Instructors are
leaders in their fields, bringing with them the most up-to-date
information in renewable energy technologies.  Classroom and
laboratory work is enhanced by case studies, tours, and
practical installations.

SEI workshops are small.  We work hard and ask that you do the
same.  We try our best to make your experience rewarding and
enjoyable.  Our workshops are in English, pero se habla espanol.

Workshops are open to all on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Class size is limited.  To reserve a seat, send us a deposit of
50 percent of the total tuition.  Please note that $50 of your
deposit is non-refundable.

SEI is located in Carbondale, Colorado, a small town in the heart
of the Rocky Mountains, thirty miles west of Aspen and a three hour drive 
west of Denver.

For more information or to register for any of the 1996 REEP
workshops, you may contact SEI via e-mail at [email-masked], or
write to SEI at P.O. Box 715, Carbondale, CO  81623.  Our phone
number is (970) 963-8855; fax (970) 963-8866.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<    S E C T I O N   3 :   Workshops outside Colorado     >>>>>>>>

Solar Energy International announces the following 1996
workshops to be held outside of Carbondale, Colorado.  For
registration information on any of these workshops, contact:
Solar Energy International, P.O. Box 715, Carbondale, CO  81623;
tel. (970) 963-8855; fax (970) 963-8866; email: [email-masked]

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
TUCSON, ARIZONA WORKSHOPS

  SOLAR WATER PUMPING
   February 5 - 8
   Cost: $450

Learn how to pump water with the sun for livestock, irrigation and 
domestic use.

  SOLAR COOKING
   February 9 - 11
   Cost: $200
    Friday 7 - 10pm / Sat. & Sun. 9 - 5

See description above.

  SOLAR HOME DESIGN
   February 12 - 24
   Cost: $600*
    Monday - Friday 5:30 - 10:00 pm / Sat. 9 - 5

* The Solar Home Design Workshops series is offered on a weekly. One-week 
tuition is $325.
See description above.

  PHOTOVOLTAIC DESIGN & INSTALLATION
   March 4 - 15
   Cost: $900

See description above.

  ADVANCED PHOTOVOLTAICS
   March 18 - 29
   Cost: $900

See description above.

  PHOTOVOLTAIC DESIGN & INSTALLATION
   November 4 - 9
   Cost: $500  (includes lodging)

See description above.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA WORKSHOPS
*These workshops coincide with the American Solar Energy Society (ASES) 
Annual
conference to be held in Asheville, NC April 13-18.

  PHOTOVOLTAIC DESIGN & INSTALLATION
   April 8 - 12
   Cost: $450

See description above.

  MICRO-HYDRO POWER
   April 19 - 21
   Cost: $300

See description above.

Solar energy improvements, including photovoltaics, qualify for
North Carolina State Income Tax Credits for both individuals and
businesses.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
PHOTOVOLTAIC DESIGN & INSTALLATION IN WOODSTOCK, NEW YORK
October 14 - 19
Cost: $550

See description above.

WIND POWER IN WILMINGTON, NORTH CAROLINA
October 21 - 26
Cost: $550

See description above.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<   S E C T I O N  4 :  Who is Solar Energy International?  >>>

Solar Energy International (SEI) is a non-profit (501(c)3)
organization whose mission is to provide education and technical
assistance so that others will be empowered to use renewable
energy technologies.

SEI believes that renewable energy resources of solar, wind and
water can improve the quality of life and promote sustainable
development for people throughout the world.  Renewable energy
systems are practical, reliable, cost efficient and
environmentally sound.

SEI works cooperatively with individuals and organizations to
meet energy and resource efficiency goals.  SEI provides
education and training to decision makers, technicians and users
of renewable energy sources.  SEI also provides the expertise to
plan, engineer and implement sustainable development projects.

SEI professionals have project and training experience in the
Americas, Micronesia and the Caribbean.  During the past 15
years, SEI staff have delivered services to the Pan American
Health Organization, Non-Governmental Organizations, foreign,
national and state governments, universities, and individuals
seeking the benefits of renewable energy.

Solar Energy International
P.O. Box 715
Carbondale, CO  81623-0715
(970) 963-8855
fax (970) 963-8866
E-mail:     [email-masked]
HomePage:   http://solstice.crest.org/renewables/sei