Subject: Solar Water heating?

From: [email-masked](Who? Where?)
Date: 5 May 1996 02:53:33 GMT

Could anyone please tell where I can obtain information re: solar water
heating.  I live in South Texas, and having ENOUGH solar energy is
never a problem....just how to best utilize it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Nick Pine)
Date: 5 May 1996 08:42:01 -0400

>never a problem....just how to best utilize it.

I wonder if he has a big air conditioner, and how he might heat water
with that, part numbers, performance, etc...  Do people still do that?

Nick

---

From: Bill Cochrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 May 1996 21:01:52 -0600

> never a problem....just how to best utilize it.

Sounds like you are in a latitude that is a prime candidate for a batch 
water heater. There is more info on this page:
http://www.rt66.com/aaasolar/passive.htm

Good Luck -- Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Dewey Coffman)
Date: 7 May 1996 16:30:40 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
>with that, part numbers, performance, etc...  Do people still do that?

I'm in Austin, Texas and I'd be interested in hearing about this. Are there
any books that talk about this "specifically"?

-dewey
-- 
Dewey Coffman, Jump Point Communications	[email-masked]
Pager: 208-2762					http://www.jump.net
O- DNRC

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 7 May 1996 15:24:18 GMT

>   Bill Cochrell <[email-masked]> writes:
>  Who? Where? wrote:
>  > 

Visit the Thermomax home page at:

http://www.thermomax.com/thermomax/

The Thermomax Solar Water heating technology is the most developed of all 
renewable energy systems. A Thermomax solar water heating system can provide a 
large portion of household hot water demand depending on local climate 
conditions and the size of system. 

Thermomax collector tube is a closed chamber (Heat Pipe) consisting of a small 
amount of heat transfer liquid (Methanol). The heat pipe employs an 
evaporating-condensing cycle, absorbing heat from the Sun, using this heat to 
evaporate the liquid (latent heat) and then releasing latent heat by reverse 
transformation (condensation) at a heat sink. Thermomax collector tube has
inherent protection from freezing or overheating, a common problem with all 
"flat-plate" collector. The collector efficiency remains high even at low light, 
so output is directly related to total global radiation from the sky, and is 
predictable.

The solar space heating operates like a radian heating system. A double coil 
tank (a water tank with two heat exchangers) serves as water heater and heat 
distributor. Through a circulation pump and first coil the solar energy heats 
the water in the tank. A thermostat calls for heat in a particular zone and the 
thermal energy is delivered through the second coil. The water in the tank
provides the household hot water demand.  

Energy requirement to heat a swimming pool depends on the surface area of the 
pool. In general you may need one Thermomax tube for every 3-5 sq. ft. pool 
surface. You may consider combining the pool heating and space heating together.

If you need design/engineering specifications or installation suggestions, 
please do not hesitate to contact any of our offices. We value your business and 
welcome every opportunity to prove it.

Sincerely,

Dr. F. Mahjouri, PE
President
Thermomax USA

******************************************************************************
Thermomax Evacuated Heat Pipe Solar Collector
"Worldwide Leadership in Solar Heating System"
Home Page: http://www.thermomax.com/thermomax/
e-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: USA (410) 997-0778
Fax: USA (410) 997-0779
USA Offices:
6193 Wooded Run Drive
Columbia, MD 21044
USA
******************************************************************************

---

From: William R Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 1996 07:05:09 -0400

> never a problem....just how to best utilize it.

For a list of links on solar, visit 
http://www.eren.doe.gov/RE/solar.html

You are correct about having plenty of solar in Texas; a solar hot water 
system is perfect for this area.

Cheers,

Will Stewart