Subject: Re: Thoughts on economics of Solar Water Still

From: "Duane C. Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 06:32:55 -0700

Hi Michael;

I just checked. When the water is labeled as "distilled" it has
to be distilled. Of course this could be from a vacuum process
at a lower temperature. Essentially the process of distillation
requires some form of gasification and condensation to be
sold as distilled.

Some De-ionized water used osmosis techniques while others use
chemical methods.

Finally soft water simply exchange hard ions such as calcium
with soft ions such as magnesium.

When doing a water resistivity test for chemical purity generally
distilled water is the best with de-ionized second and of course
followed by soft water.

The best stills have de-gasification at high temperature before
boiling.  

Michael Stein wrote:
> 
> >What's wrong with this picture. On the one hand I get $55000
> >and on the other hand I get $156.
> 
> I thought that a lot (all?) of the "distilled water" was really
> either de-ionized (via ion-exchange) or reverse osmosis.
> No need to deal with "heat" at all....

-- 
   CUL8ER   \    \ \      \      \ \\   \      \ Receiver
  Powered by \    \ \      \      \ \\   \      \     [*]
 Thermonuclear\    \ \ Solar\Energy\From the Sun \ //////
Energy(the Sun)\    \ \      \      \ \\   \ / / /\/ / //
                \    \ \      \      \ /\ / \/  /  /  / |
   WA0VBE        \    \ \      \ /   /\ \/   /   /  \/ /|
  Ziggy           \    \ \ /    /    / \ \/   \/    /\  |
                   \ /  \ \/     /     /\ \\ / \   /  / |
"Red Rock Energy"  ===  ===\ /    \ /    \ ===  \ /   ===
Duane C. Johnson Designer  ===    ===     \ \   ===  /  |
1825 Florence St.   Mirrors,Heliostats,Controls & Mounts|
White Bear Lake, Minnesota                  \ \     /   |
USA         55110-3364                       \ \        |
(612)635-5O65    work                         \ \  /    |
(612)426-4766   home                  copyright\ \      |
(612)583-2O62  Red Rock Energy Site   (C) 971005\ /     |
[email-masked]    (my primary email: address)===\    |
[email-masked]                 (juno address)     \   |
[email-masked]      (Unisys address)       \  |
[email-masked]  (freeNET address)         \ |
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3027/  (Website)\|
These are my opinions,  not that of Unisys.           ===