Subject: How to make a house energy independent in Belgium ?

From: Philippe BRUNO <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 00:22:51 +0200

Hello there !

I live in Belgium. Eastern part of Belgium, near Germany.

This is definitely not the sunniest place in the world... :-)

The house, here, is on top of a hill, in the middle of nowhere...
It's very well located to get all the wind, and all the sun, when it
shines... :-)

It's quite a big house, and I would like to make it "energy-independent",
especially as far as HEATING is concerned.

The house has a fuel-oil boiler, connected to a classic "central heating"
system, and my idea is to put solar panels on the roof and to use the energy
they would produce to heat a liquid that would replace the water that is
actually running in the radiators.

I have been told that to use photovoltaic panels to produce electricity, and
then to use the electricity to heat a liquid is a big mistake, because the
efficiency would be very low, and that I should better use "thermal solar
panels".

I am not a newbie, but this is a matter I really don't know anything
about...

So, I would *really* appreciate if you could give me as much information as
possible about what would be the best solution, as well as where to find all
necessary products.

Tips of any kind (URL's, personal experiences, FAQ's, and so on), are
welcome !

Thank you in advance for your help !

Best regards to all,

Philippe BRUNO

PS : in order not to pollute the groups with such a "basic" question,
     pls answer directly to : [email-masked]
     Thank you !

---

From: Will Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 07:00:06 -0400

Ingo Bruemmer wrote:

> I dont think that your question is too basic. Why should this subject not be > discussed here. Or has anyone a better idea?
> 
> I live in the middle of Germany, in Hannover. And things here aren't easy as well. I > also think of solar energy for my house.
> [...] 
> It hard to get information on that in Germany. As any of the readers ideas?

The short answer:

   Start with an energy audit, to acquire a baseline energy consumption
profile.
http://ecep1.usl.edu/ecep/audits/a/a.htm

   Make sure your house has adequate insulation and infiltration
protection.  Your heating requirements can be reduced dramatically if
you have a house that utilizes minimal insulating techniques.  
http://www.lib.montana.edu/ARCHIVE/databases/Cold_Climate_Collection/INSULATE

Windows can be the greatest heat loss culprits. 
http://www.ma.adfa.oz.au/%7Eprl/AAWG/newslet/nl10.htm#Window_en_effic
http://www.wasco1.com/~johnabb/glazedefine/

Consider passive solar in conjunction with active solar.
http://www.eren.doe.gov/office/femp/fact_passive.html
http://www.nrel.gov/documents/caddet/register/94-507.htm

For active thermal solar, consider all available technologies, such as
evacuated tube collectors in addition to flat plate collectors.
http://www.softaid.net/thermomax/

For two excellent URL lists, visit;
http://www.eren.doe.gov/RE/solar.html
http://www.eren.doe.gov/EE/buildings.html

Congratulations on your objective!

Cheers,
 
William R. Stewart
http://www.patriot.net/users/wstewart/first.htm
Member American Solar Energy Society
Member Electrical Vehicle Association of America
"The truth will set you free:  - J.C.