Subject: solar/wind community

From: "Jeffrey Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Sep 1996 02:00:27 GMT

I am begining to research the feasability of developing a residentialy
zoned parcel into an "eco-village" In addition to researching and
implementing the latest technology in design,waste treatment,recycleable
materials etc., I would like to compile as much info on solar energy as I
can in a short amount of time. Among the considerations I am looking at
are: can several dwellings share a large array in such a way that each
family draws upon only the amount of equipment they invested in, are there
more efficient ways to divide the expense, Is a large communal array an
effective way to simplify and beautify individual homes by secluding the
panels on an out of the way lot, ?
      Is anyone aware of similar community efforts?  Also I have heard of a
company which has made a recent break through in the cost of panel
construction which makes solar electricity competitive with grid power, can
anyone point me in the direction of this development? 
   The project will be located in Charles Town WV and as the sub-division
is larger than the current supply of interested participants need This may
also be considered a call for others who may wish to participate and who
are willing to relocate to WV. Likewise any photovoltaic industry people
who see this may feel free to offer your companies services if it seems to
be appropriate. This is not an exclusive subdivision being planned by
wealthy do-gooders so cost is critical and we hope to keep prices in range
with the assistance of Federal and private aid. 

          Jeffrey Rosen
        Claymont Society for Continuous Education
          Charles Town WV
          [email-masked]

---

From: Peter James Brooke Clibbon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 15:37:28 +0100

On 11 Sep 1996, Jeffrey Rosen wrote:

> This may be a suggestion that you've already heard, but have you been in
> contact with the Centre for alternative energy in Wales, UK.  They have,
> essentially, a community running on renewable energy (PV, micro hydro
> and wind). They have also incorporated efficient building construction,
> bio-sewage, energy savings, etc, the works, in their site.  They have a
> web page (conduct a search on Yahoo), and can be reached on email. They
also have  a publishing house which details their experiences. Seeing
however is believing...I  was there 2  weeks  ago,  and was quite
impressed.

regards,
Peter Clibbon
Energy Group, University of Reading