Subject: looking for suggestions dream house design

From: [email-masked] (Peipp)
Date: 25 May 1996 00:17:16 -0400

I'm planning to build my dream house this summer and fall. My idea of a
dream house is one that has the following attributes: low cost, labor,
maintenance, and minimum enviromental impact and utility usage(electric,
propane, wood), while still being comfortable to live in. I'm going to use
as much used materials as possible and am shooting for a cost of
$5-10/ft^2. I will be doing all of the construction myself.

I'm looking for constructive ideas, comments, and suggestions to improve
the design, especially in the areas of heating, cooling, and reducing
labor.

I live in N.E. Oklahoma( 45 mi N.E. of Tulsa) where we have hot, humid
summers and moderately cold winters. The building site will be in the
center of my 40 ac, on a hill next to an existing septic tank and water
source.

The house that I'm proposing to build is a 2 story post & beam with
strawbale infill( 18" thk walls), 26'x26' external wall dimensions and
will have 8'x26' porches on two sides. Downstairs will be open except for
wall around the bathroom and have a 9' ceiling. Upstairs will have 5' tall
side walls, then sloping to a 8' ceiling. Upstairs will be 2 bedrooms, a
bath, and hallway. The ceiling will contain 2 layers of R19 insulation.

The current plans call for a lot of south facing glazing for solar gain,
5- 3x8 downstairs windows and 4- 3x5 upstairs windows. My original idea
was to use wood heat with propane backup, neither of which am I fond of.
After seeing all the posts concerning solar rooms and closets I'm now
wondering if I could get by without backup heat and maybe even eliminate
the propane water heater. I still haven't fully grasp the solar closet
concept however. What keeps the heat from leaking out of the thermal mass
on cloudy days and at night? Also what about radiant floor heat? Could it
be connected to these solar closet water vessels to supply heat?

I would also like to avoid the expense of air conditioning. One idea that
I keep kicking around is to bury an old gasoline storage tank or such next
to the house and pipe cool air into the house in the summer. It could also
serve as a storm shelter and extra living space. I've seen nice ones( 6-8'
dia x 15-20 ft long) sell at farm auctions for $100-200. My biggest
concern is lead contamination, etc from old tanks. Would something like
this work? 

Sincerely, 

David Grizzle