Subject: Re: ozone generater

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Klein)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 08:26:31 GMT

>I have to agree with Rich. Yes ozone helps destroy odors, but the 
>negative health effect are many.  I've searched in vain to find a 
>publication on all the ill effects of ozone - one of which is cancer.  
>Several years ago, I witnessed seven of my co-workers in a power plant 
>hauled to the hospital from ozone exposure, two of which nearly didn't 
>survive.  The ozone was generated from electro-stacic precipitators.  The 
>stuff in large quantities kills fast and in small quantities kills 
>slowly.  Forget the ozone generator!

In reality, research done by Mark Boeninger at NIOSH showed that ozone
has very little influence on chemicals.  However, it has a large
influence on the olfactory senses.  Basically, it affects the
olfactory nervous system.  In other words, you can't smell the
compounds anymore.

As for health effects, a lot of literature has been published on the
health effects of ozone.  Your local library should be able to do a
search for you on the subject.
>
>
>Roy Derryberry, KD3LZ    Member: Aircraft Owners and Pilot's Association 
>([email-masked])                             American Radio Relay League
>                                        Utility Workers Union of America
>
>If I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd taken better care of myself.
>
>

Matthew Klein, PE
Indoor Air Quality Solutions
513-734-7526
[email-masked]
*************************
Wouldn't it be nice if common sense was really common?

---

From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: 20 Oct 1995 23:29:59 -0400

[email-masked] (Roger Alexon) writes:

>Need info on ozone generater that can be installed in duct on office
>a.c.

Now, WHY would anyone want to create ozone in a ventilation duct?  The 
best outcome of that would be that not much ozone would be created, and 
no one in the office would realize it was there.  The worst outcome would 
be lots of ozone creation, with the resulting respiratory irritation and 
complaints from the office occupants.  There is no beneficial function 
that ozone could perform in such a situation.

Peter Zavon, CIH

Penfield, NY

[email-masked]