Subject: Re: Solenoid Shutoff Valve

From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Oct 1995 02:01:33 GMT

In <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Thye-Lai Tung) writes:
>I am looking for a solenoid shutoff valve for natural gas. ASCO makes a few
>valves that is close to my needs, but a rep. from the local office says
>that it has to be aluminium body, and they don't make it anymore (with DC
>coil). Why aluminium ? Who else make similar products ? It is for home
>use, and so the price has to be reasonable.
>

Problem is the solenoid valve has to have an explosion proof rating
when used with natural gas.  Not many solenoid valve manufacturers
bother with this area of this market--it's small, and liability
concerns are much greater.  ASCO, to my knowledge, has been the
only significant solenoid valve manufacturer who has supplied
valves for this type of application.

Andy Schoen
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (George Goble)
Date: 8 Oct 1995 12:26:53 GMT

>bother with this area of this market--it's small, and liability

What is done to a solenoid to make it "explosion proof".. they
have no arcing contacts?
--ghg

---

From: Mike Allenbaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Oct 1995 03:04:21 GMT

>What is done to a solenoid to make it "explosion proof".. they

They raise the price five hundred percent.