Subject: Leaking furnace

From: [email-masked] (David Tiller)
Date: 1 Jun 1995 11:02:35 -0400

I had been noticing what sounds like air being sucked through the oil
pump on my furnace for a while, and decided to check the connections,
nozzle, and filter at the same time.  I removed the gun and set it aside
until I can get a new nozzle.  Later that day I turned on the fan to stir
the air in the house a bit and was greeted by the smell of #2 fuel oil.
I went downstairs and found that air was blowing out of the observation 
hole and the hole that the gun came out of.  Upon further investigation I
found that there's a 1/4" gap between the end of the tube in the observation
hole and what feels like the firebox.  This is a large-ish (125K BTU +)
Tappan furnace.  It sounds like I have a leak between the firebox and the
fresh air system.

What advice would you give me?  What should I look for as far as what
should/shouldn't have a gap or a leak?   Thanks in advance,
-- 
David Tiller                | Network Administrator | Voice: (804) 752-3710   |
[email-masked] |  n2kau/4  | Randolph-Macon College| Fax:   (804) 752-7231   |
  Don't let your SKS get    | P.O. Box 5005         | ICBM:  37d 42' 43.75" N |
"Tainted with Defilement!"  | Ashland, Va 23005     |        77d 31' 32.19" W |

---

From: [email-masked] (paul milligan)
Date: 3 Jun 1995 01:59:01 GMT

~~>What advice would you give me?  What should I look for as far as what
~~>should/shouldn't have a gap or a leak?   Thanks in advance,

There should be no air coming out.  Have it professionaly serviced.
This is dangerous stuff, both as re: fire and as re: CO.

Paul