Subject: Albedo of asphalt roofing shingles

From: [email-masked] (Norman Swartz)
Date: 2 Jun 1995 10:37:23 -0700

To: sci.engr.heat-vent-ac
 
I want to have the asphalt shingles replaced on the roof of my
home.  I have ruled out white shingles, since they quickly show
mildew stains in this climate (Vancouver, BC).  I want shingles
that reflect away as much heat as possible during the summer
months; I am less concerned about heat absorption in the winter.
I have been told that, so far as heat reflection is concerned,
red, green, brown, and black shingles all - pretty much - have
the same albedo.  Can anyone confirm this or point me to a
consumer guide?  Thanks.
 
================================================================
Prof. Norman Swartz | email (via Internet):        [email-masked]
Dept. of Philosophy | email (via Bitnet):   [email-masked]
Simon Fraser Univ.  | FAX: (604)-291-4443
Burnaby, B.C.       |
Canada V5A 1S6      |
================================================================