Subject: Re: Room Heating

From: [email-masked]
Date: 31 May 1995 15:09:50 -0400

IS HALL ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Could anyone give any advice on an efficient way to provide 
: heating for a group of about 80 people, meeting for two hours,
: in a school hall cabaple of seating approximately 400 people.

: Heated Fans/Radiant heating/Electric/Oil heaters.

: Problems seem to be getting heaters close enough to everybody,
: and the fact that a high ceiling/large volume room prohibits rapid heating 
: of the entire air space.

: Any suggestions would be most welcome.

: Iain Hall

Iain

It would seem to me that an electric radiant heating system could be designed
to be suspended overhead of an adequately-sized working area. That way you
would be heating people more than room air. I've lived with ceiling heat for
many years and have been perfectly satisfied. You didn't say whether the
heating system would be permanent or temporary or whether the whole room area
is needed.

Regards

-- 
 Charles J. Sterner, ChE, P.E.

---

From: Gunsmoke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 00:51:04 GMT

Use radiant heat lamps with reflectors.  

This type of lamp transmits energy in the 3 - 6 micron wavelength region 
which is in the near to mid-infrared part of the spectrum.  Human skin 
has a very low reflectivity value (close to zero) at these wavelengths 
and can be considered opaque (meaning that there is very little 
transmissivity).  That leaves most of the energy irradiated to be 
"absorbed" by the people underneath the lamps.

Since these lamps use radiation as the method of heat transfer, they 
don't necessarily have to be close to the items that need to be heated 
(i.e. the people).  They do however need to be directed at the people 
underneath.  The reflectors will help to concentrate or focus a greater 
amount of energy in the desired direction.

I have seen several instances where these lamps are hung up in a 
wherehouse or large building directly over areas where personnel do their 
work.  When they are needed, the personnel simply turn on the switch and 
begin feeling the heat almost instantly.  Of course, some type of control 
either designed into the exact number of lamps, distance away from the 
people, or an ON/OFF controller will be necessary to maintain a 
comfortable temperature.

I hope this helps.  If anyone finds me to be in error, please feel free 
to show me the light.  Doh! Bad joke.

Matt Dillon

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Jansky)
Date: 1 Jun 1995 18:27:43 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (IS HALL) writes:
|> Could anyone give any advice on an efficient way to provide 
|> heating for a group of about 80 people, meeting for two hours,
|> in a school hall cabaple of seating approximately 400 people.
|> 
|> Heated Fans/Radiant heating/Electric/Oil heaters.
|> 
|> Problems seem to be getting heaters close enough to everybody,
|> and the fact that a high ceiling/large volume room prohibits rapid heating 
|> of the entire air space.
|> 

This is already a part of the answer. In shops, where the main door
must remain open, they use radiant heating (gas or el.), which has the
main advantage that you heat primarily the people and not the walls and
the air.

Richard

|> Any suggestions would be most welcome.
|> 
|> Iain Hall
|>