Subject: Carbon Monoxide in Home?

From: "Peter T. Knutsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Oct 1995 18:52:21 GMT

My wife's friend has been complaining of headaches and dizzyness that 
appeared to be related to a rusted out vent stack on a gas hot water 
heater.  This vent stack has been repaired but she still feels there is a 
gas leak somewhere.  The city gas company did repair some gas lines in 
the street on her block.  Who should she call to get this checked out.  
She has tried the gas company but they have been no help.  Is there a way 
to check her home's air quality and is this type of testing expensive.  
The house is over 40 year old and has a basement that seems to have the 
worst smell.  I advised her to get a CO monitor.  Any other advice?

Pete

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Klein)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 09:46:46 GMT

>worst smell.  I advised her to get a CO monitor.  Any other advice?
I agree with you that she should have a CO detector.  I think any
house that has gas combustion or an attached garage should have one
(actually several) of these.  If you have a gas leak, the gas company
has a responsibility to check it out.  If they are not doing what they
should, call the local fire department.  You may also check with your
local safety supply company.  Tell them you would like detector tubes
to check out a possible gas leak and CO levels.  The only problem is
that the pumps for these are pretty expensive compared to the tubes.
However, you may be able to "borrow" a demo for a day or so.  You may
also use an artificial smoke material to check the vent areas of the
exhaust for the water heater and the furnace area if it is gas to see
if exhaust is coming out of them into the house.  Even though you
replaced the exhaust, there could be a blockage somewhere else.  Let
me know if you need more guidance.

Matthew Klein, PE
Indoor Air Quality Solutions
513-734-7526
[email-masked]
*************************
Wouldn't it be nice if common sense was really common?