Subject: IAQ Regs. worthless!

From: [email-masked] (Ken Robinson)
Date: 19 Oct 1995 10:15:11 GMT

I don't have time to detail this story, but will add to it this weekend.

Orange County Florida recently began a complete rebuild of their fairly
new Courthouse. They planned to replace all air conditioning hardware,
including duct work, hoping to eliminate mold and other IAQ problems. 
During demolition mold was found inside all interior walls. To make a long
story short the building has been abandoned and will likely be demolished. 

What is it going to take to stop this waste of time and money?

I recently received a contract from the University of Florida to assist 
in a program to eliminate humidity and associated IAQ problems in several 
large dormitory units. All suffer from "value engineering" and will 
likely require large doses of money to solve.

Comments from IAQ folks and those familiar with Codes Administration 
related to this subject would be appreciated. 

[email-masked] (Ken Robinson)

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Byrd)
Date: 20 Oct 1995 04:35:51 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ken Robinson)
>[email-masked] (Ken Robinson)
Two problems: Codes are often years behind the state-of-knowledge. 
Codes have to fit the climate they are in; you don't build in Florida
the way you do in Minnesota or Arizona.

Rich Byrd