Subject: FAQ list for sci.engr.heat-vent-ac

From: [email-masked] (Randy Wilkinson)
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 19:28:53 GMT

*********************************************************
                                     
                   HVAC Frequently Asked Questions List
                           sci.engr.heat-vent-ac
                                     
         *********************************************************
                                     
                        Last-modified: May. 31,1995
                                     
              Posting-Frequency: approximately every 14 days
                                     
     Currently Maintained by: Randy Wilkinson ([email-masked])

------------------------------

Subject: This Document

The purpose of this document is to answer the most commonly asked questions
of the group.  Internet users new to this group should read this document
prior to posting questions.  Your question may have already been asked and
answered.  You may not find answers to certain questions if those questions
are not pertaining to charter issues, even if they are commonly asked.

This document will be posted to the newsgroup every 2 weeks or so.  I will
also post it to the group on request.  You may also get this document from
the anonymous FTP site `ftp.ior.com' in the `/usr/hvac/' directory.  The
file `HVAC_FAQ.DOC' is Word for Windows document that supports Word's
outline feature.  The file called `HVAC_FAQ.TXT' is an plain ASCII version.

Questions compiled here were mostly compiled from discussion in the group.
If you have suggestions for items to be added to the FAQ, or comments on
the answers given, please email your suggestions to me at the address
above.  I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

------------------------------

Subject: Group Status

The group "alt.hvac" was created in January 1995 as a temporary place for
people interested in heating, ventilating and air conditioning to share
information until an "official" newsgroup can be voted on and created.

On May 23, 1995, the vote was passed and the group `sci.engr.heat-vent-ac'
was created.  The new group was created on May 30, 1995.

------------------------------

Subject: Charter

Authors: Doug Grittani <[email-masked]>, Lynnette Edrington
<[email-masked], and William Delp, PhD <[email-masked]>

This unmoderated group is for discussion of Heating, Ventilating, Air
Conditioning (HVAC) and Refrigeration issues.  Discussion from the
viewpoint of researchers, engineers and technicians involved in the
research, design, specification, control, construction, operation and
maintenance of HVAC topics is encouraged. The following topics are
considered appropriate for technical discussion, but are not limited to the
following :

- State-of-the-art research issues in relation to current practices
  
- Discussion of ASHRAE recommendations
  
- Psychrometrics
  
- Desiccant/adsorber technologies
  
- The design, construction, operation and management of HVAC and
  refrigeration systems for buildings and other environments
  
- New sensor technology (eg, silicon vs. nickel, RH sensors)
  
- All aspects of HVAC equipment: air side and water side, control systems,
  new technologies and management
  
- Special environments: eg. Cleanrooms, hazardous environments
  
- Comfort conditions: temperature/humidity/air quality
  
- Technical solutions to common problems
  
- Training and educational issues
  
- Safety and OSHA issues as relating to HVAC, government regulations
  
- Green issues (HCFC/CFC usage, Greenhouse effects)
  
- Relative merits of computer simulation strategies
  
- Energy & IAQ (Indoor Air Quality) audits
  
- Audit tools: ultrasound, thermography, tracer gas
  
- Building science issues
  
The HVAC discipline covers a very broad spectrum of topics, from the design
of the humble domestic heating system, to sophisticated close control
climates for industrial processes or medical facilities.  Many of these
topics are treated by out-dated approaches.  This group encourages the
cross-fertilization of ideas and concepts from all corners of the
profession, from the academic researcher to the field engineer.

Discussion regarding merits of various manufacturer's products and services
is discouraged, in the interest of avoiding sales pitches couched as
discussion.  Technical help questions regarding various products are
encouraged, but should be answered via email.

Original Newsgroup Sponsor: Lynnette [email-masked]

------------------------------

Subject: Netiquette for group sci.engr.heat-vent-ac

Please read the appropriate articles in the newsgroup
'news.announce.newusers'  Doing so will probably answer most of your
general questions regarding use of Usenet newsgroups.

Please review the charter as outlined above.  Advertising and blatant
commercialism is frowned upon.  Although this is an unmoderated group and
no controls or persons can prevent advertising or commercialism, prepare to
be flamed if you do not heed this advice.  The more your post looks like an
ad, the more flames you will get.  See the above newuser group as
reference. THE PURPOSE OF THIS GROUP IS TO DISCUSS TECHNICAL ISSUES AND
SHARE INFORMATION.  There are other groups for the purpose of buying and
selling goods and services. The group is a place to meet and talk about
Charter issues.

Equipment for sale ads and want to buy ads are discouraged here.  Help
wanted and job wanted ads are not discouraged by private parties but are
discouraged by "headhunters" or employment agencies since they are paid
professionals and this is a forum for discussion of technical issues and
people here, for the most part, pay for the privelege of being here.  If
continuous HVAC-related job-postings become a nuisance, they will be
discouraged and thus subject to "flames".  When posting job related
articles, please ask for all responses via email

Product X versus product Y

Questions are not discouraged, but "discussions" on the merit of one
product or another are discouraged.  Why?  Because some vendors have been
known to ask and answer their own questions.  If you read an article that
appears to be obvious commercialism, please respond to persons posting such
articles by email.

If you wish to know where you can get information on a commercial product,
ask for response via email.  Also, be sure to answer such questions via
email. I'm sure no one who answers in the negative will want to be sued for
libel if they feel strongly about it!

Controlling Unwanted posts.

These admonitions were concluded by the consensus of the group.  Future
discussions can change them.  The keeper of this document will adjust them
if the consensus changes it's mind.  For such persons who insist on
ignoring the admonitions outlined here, gently remind them (in case they're
just a newbie who doesn't know any better), by email that the purpose of
the newsgroup is technical discussion and information sharing and not
commercialism.  Please Don't post a follow-up article flaming those
persons.  Doing so will only waste more space in the newsgroup and readers
time.  If you must flame due to repeated violation of the groups' Charter
and FAQ, then please do it by email or in alt.flames.

------------------------------

Subject: Questions and Answers

Q:   What acronyms are commonly used in this group?

A:   These are some of the most common:
     
     HVAC      Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning
     
     ASHRAE    American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air
               Conditioning Engineers
               1791 Tullie Circle, N.E., Atlanta, GA 30329
               Voice: (404) 636-8400
               Facsimile: (404) 321-5478
               
               Customer Service: 1-800-527-4723
     
     RSES      Refrigeration Service Engineers Society
               1666 Rand Road, Des Plaines, IL  60016-3552
               Voice: (312) 297-6464
               Fax: (312) 297-5038
     
     SMACNA    Sheet Metal Contractors National Association
               (Anybody know the address and Phone?)
     
     IAQ       Indoor Air Quality
     
     CFC       Generally refers to Chlorofluorocarbon family of
               refrigerants.  Sometimes called by one manufacturer's
               tradename "Freon"
     
     HCFC      Generally refers to Halogenated Chlorofluorocarbon family of
               refrigerants.  Some of these refrigerants are also called by
               their tradename "Freon"
     
     HFC       Generally refers to Hydrofluorocarbon family of refrigerants
     
     DDC       Direct Digital Control
     
     VFD       Variable Frequency Drive - Electronic speed control for
               motors.
     
     VAV       Variable Air Volume
     
     WC        water column,  common measure of air pressure used in HVAC
          systems
     
     IWC       Inches of water column,  commonly used in the USA

Q:   What is meant by Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)?

A:   In general, IAQ refers to quality of the air inside a building that
     people must occupy.  The following are some factors that might
     constitute poor air quality:
     
      * High levels of carbon dioxide (> 1000 ppm)
      * Harmful airborne bacteria
      * Airborne compounds resulting from manufacturing processes
      * Dust particles
      * Objectionable odors

     For the purposes of this group, IAQ does not generally refer to the
     temperature of, or amount of moisture in, indoor air.

Q:   What are refrigerants?

A:   Fluids used to transport heat.

Q:   Do CFC refrigerants deplete the Earth's atmospheric ozone layer?

A:   Most scientist agree they do.  Many others disagree.  Some CFCs do
     break down ozone more than others.  Some CFCs survive in the
     atmosphere longer than others before breaking down.  Regardless of
     whether or not they do, new laws have been enacted to limit the
     production and venting of CFCs.

Q:   What is being done about CFCs depleting the ozone layer?

A:   Pursuant to the Montreal Protocol, CFC refrigerant production world-
     wide will cease by January 1, 1996.  In the United States, the Clean
     Air Act of 1990 requires CFC production to cease by that date.  New
     refrigerants are currently under development and in production.  There
     are also strict new laws designed to prevent venting of existing CFC
     refrigerants to the atmosphere.  For more information, visit the world
     wide web page `http://piglet.sri.com/CIN/jan-feb94/article01.html'

Q:   Where can I get shareware or freeware for residential heating load
     calculations

A:   Duane Beach, responded:
     BTU ANALYSIS (SHAREWARE VERSION) VERSION 2.3.0sw
     Heating and cooling load calculation software
     By: David W. Ostler, Distributed By:Enchanted Tree Software
     901 Ferndale Blvd, High Point, NC 27262
     BBS support found on: Public Safety BBS, Jamestown, NC
     Access at: (919) 886-8826
     
     Editors Note: Current availability of this program has not been
     verified.  If you can verify its availablity please let me know.

Q:   Can anyone recommend a book covering ______

A:   HVAC fundamentals?
          ASHRAE Handbooks:
          1992 Equipment Volume
          1993 Fundamentals Volume
          1994 Refrigeration Volume
          1995 Applications Volume
     
     Load Calculations?
          ASHRAE Cooling and Heating Load Calculation Manual
     
     Duct Construction and ductwork system design?
          SMACNA Duct construction standards
          SMACNA system design manual
     
     Air Conditioning systems design?
          Carrier systems design manuals (various softcover)
          Trane Air Conditioning Manual
          ASHRAE air-conditioning Systems Design Manual ISBN 1-8834-13-00-1
          Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
     
     Ventilation?
          Industrial Ventilation
     
     Refrigeration?
          Refrigeration Service Engineers Society (RSES) Service
     Application Manual (SAM) has extensive product and technical
     information covering all phases of refrigeration.
          Doolins Troubleshooting Bible

Q:   Is this newsgroup sponsored by ASHRAE?

A:   Definitely not.  Although ASHRAE employees and society members do
     participate in discussions regularly.

Q:   Is there an ASHRAE Web site or ftp site?

A:   Charles R. Miro of ASHRAE responds:
     No, ASHRAE does not presently have a Web site. The Society does have
     an email gateway to the Internet. ASHRAE runs a Bulletin Board System
     that provides email access to the Internet. For information on future
     expansion plans, please contact Efrain Ramirez, ASHRAE Data Processing
     Manager (voice: 404/636-8400; email: [email-masked]).
     
     To access the BBS in Atlanta, use your modem to dial 404-235-0228
     
     Editors note: You may telnet to the ASHRAE BBS system, use the domain
     name `bbs.ashrae.com'.  It helps if your telnet client software has a
     standard BBS file transfer protocol such as Xmodem or Zmodem.

Q:   Are scroll compressors better?

A:   Since they have fewer moving parts, they are said to be more reliable.
     Other advantages are debatable.
     
     Editors note: A scroll compressor uses two spiral shaped blades rather
     than reciprocating pistons to compress the refrigerant in it's hot gas
     state.  The two spiral blades mesh together with close tolerances
     inside a chamber.  Typically one of the two blades remains fixed while
     the other is moved in a circular motion.  This motion causes gas to be
     trapped in a pocket and moves the gas outward in the spiral while the
     pocket gets smaller, thereby compressing the gas.

Q:   What are the typical fan pressures in a residential HVAC installation
     (furnace).

A:   The normal residential HVAC blower is designed for 0.25 to 0.5"wc, but
     this is total static pressure including the coil, filter, heat-
     exchanger, etc.

Q:   Am I required to fix a leaking refrigerant system containing R-22?

A:   Under the current EPA regulations, only if the system contains more
     than 50 lbs of refrigerant.  (Editors note: You would be well advised
     to fix the leak since this refrigerant will become scarce/expensive in
     the coming years.  R-12 will be no longer produced after 1995, R-22
     will be banned in 2020)

Q:   Are there WWW sites relating to HVAC subjects that I can visit?

A:   Yes, there are many.  You can copy an HTML file using your FTP client
     software from `ftp.ior.com' in the `/usr/hvac/' directory.  Get the
     file called `HVAC.HTM'.
     You need to copy it to your machine since I may have to pay extra for
     internet service if you always use if from my provider's server.
     
     After copying that file to your local machine, your can tell your WWW
     browser to open that file.  You will then see many active links to
     other sites.

     If you have suggestions for additions to be added to the list, send
them to
     the address shown at the bottom of the page.  I will update this list
     periodically.  When I do, I will place the date of the most recent
     update here:
     
     WWW Site list last updated:  May 25, 1995

---

From: Bob Forde <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Jun 1995 11:46:52 GMT

>considered appropriate for technical discussion, but are not limited to the

Could we add the discussion of various computer modeling techniques and 
software?  I regularly use a couple of commercial packages for energy 
analysis and energy conservation projects primarily HVAC in nature.

>               (Anybody know the address and Phone?)

                Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors' National
                Association, Inc.
                4201 LaFayette Center Drive
                Chantilly, Virginia  22022-1230
                (703)803-2980  phone
                (703)803-3732  fax                

                *From HVAC Systems Duct Design book inside cover

>     standard BBS file transfer protocol such as Xmodem or Zmodem.
 
ASHRAE also has an ftp site (ftp.ashrae.com) and the WWW page is coming 
soon.  I'll shut up about it now so as not to steal their thunder.  There 
is an ASHRAE Chapter on the net, check out 
http://www.ornl.gov/ORNL/ashrae/ashrae.htm

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|Bob Forde                             Lockheed Martin Energy Systems|
[email-masked]                                           Oak Ridge, TN|
|HVAC Engineer                                                    USA|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Blair Price <[email-masked]>
Date: 1 Jun 1995 02:08:12 GMT

Randy, Looks like a real good newsgroup. I will check in often.