Subject: Re: Newsgroup in The News

From: Doug Geddes <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Oct 1995 02:47:36 GMT

>Lynette, Andy and Newsgroup:
>
>This idea of publishing threads from this Newsgroup was developed 
>entirely as a way to spread good technical information to those of our 
>industry who, for whatever reason, do not have access to the Internet.
>
>  I have been very upfront about my intention to make the Newsgroup 
>accessible.  I have made public postings to the SEHVAC just to make sure 
>that everyone understood exactly what I wanted to do.  Until today I had 
>only "heard" positive responses.  
>
>If anyone in this group is vehemently against their postings being 
>published then I will be delighted to make sure they never are.  You will 
>need to send a message directly to me so that I can print it out and keep 
>it in a file.
>
>I must say that the emotions behind this posting are rather surprising.  
>I don't believe I have ever been called "unconscionable" before.
>
>Victoria
>
>
Hi Victoria.  I don't believe I have been called "unconscionable" before 
either, they must have missed that one, though "unconscious" came up a couple 
of times.  I for one would not like to have my posts published but I do 
understand what you are trying to do and am sure many here, expecially 
contractors, would have no problem with you publishing their advice ( of 
course you (not the author) would have to accept the liability for any posts 
quoted out of context that lead to unwelcome results).  You should, however, 
check out the legalities of publishing such posts, as I have read in several 
publications and BBS notices that to do so is a copyrite infingement.  I may 
be wrong on this (was once last year also - bad year) but I think not.  
Besides, having the advice only available here will encourage others to get 
out of their hair net and join the internet.

Regards
Doug

Regards
Doug

---

From: [email-masked] (Victoria Kamm)
Date: 9 Oct 1995 19:04:45 GMT

I very much appreciate all the feedback on this topic. 

 It has become far more complicated than I ever expected.  I don't think 
I have any choice but to bow to the members of the group who have 
expressed their opposition.  I have zero interest in worrying about if I 
remembered to email everyone I quoted much less possible litigation.

People cannot get involved in something they don't know about.  Perhaps 
someone will devise a better way to get the word out (about SEHVAC) to 
the rest of our industry.

Victoria