Subject: Re: Help: Opinion about AC and gas furnace

From: [email-masked] (John Mills)
Date: 30 Jul 1995 01:32:18 GMT

[email-masked] (Dajiang Liu) wrote:
>
>I like to hear about opinion about the following products:
>
>Janitrol  AC CKT-48-1  48k BTU
  furnace  GMPN-100-4  100k BTU
>Lennox  AC  HS26
gas furnace  g26
>I heard some good things about Lennox GS26 heat pump.  What is the 
economy of
>Heat pump vs gas for heating, for example in Washingto, DC area.
>Your response is highly appreciated.   Feel free to express opinion 
about other products too.

You get what you pay for. You're comparing the lowest priced brand on the 
market with one of the highest. The HS26 has a Copeland scroll compressor 
in an insulated compartment making it one of the quietest units on the 
market. The CKT has a generic Bristol reciprocating compressor sitting in 
the middle of the unit under the fan which is noisy and hard to work on. 
Not too familiar with the GMPN but had heard of venting problems. 
Probably worked out by now as that was last winter. Don't believe that 
furnace can use outside air for combustion but usually you should to keep 
household products from the heat exchangers of the super efficienct 
furnace. The G26 is simple design with reliable components. The HP26 heat 
pump is similar to the HS26 A/C. As for economy, I would bet gas is quite 
a bit cheaper. I've heard about East coast electric rates. Around here 
the heat pump would beat the gas furnace due to our super low rates. 

For something similar to the Lennox but less $$$, talk to a Rheem (or 
Ruud or WeatherKing) dealer about their new 90+ furnace and A/C. The new 
90 I think is the best high efficiency made. Super quiet, well thought 
out and designed, small & easy to install. The RAMA 12 SEER A/C has same 
Copeland scroll compressor in compartment so similarly quiet as Lennox 
but has cabinet on all sides protecting coil. Rheem's warranty isn't 
quite as good but a low priced brand that is really good. 

Quality of install is very important. Do similar research on dealer's 
references as you are on the brand!