Subject: Darcy Equations?

From: [email-masked] (Edward J. Davis)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 05:23:00 GMT

I am doing some programming that requires calculating changes to 
fluid characteristics when moving through piping, valves, orifices, etc.  
I was planning on using basic fluid flow thumb rules for non-compressible 
fluids, but saw a reference to "Darcy Equations".  Even though I have 
managed to get an applied math degree, I haven't heard of these.  Can 
anyone point me towards some resources or handbooks that outline this 
topic.  Reply by e-mail is file.

Ed Davis  [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Victor Fung-Ho)
Date: 2 Jun 1995 02:19:33 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Edward J. Davis)
>Ed Davis  [email-masked]

 ok, here we go, my first contribution to this newsgroup...

 the Darcy-Weisbach friction factor 'f' is used in the calculation of
pressure drops of incompressible viscous fluids (eg. water) thru pipes.
 any basic book on fluid mechanics would discuss this topic, although,
for some reason, the names of darcy and weisbach is not always
associated with their equations. 
  anyway, pressure drop p is a function of the darcy-weisbach friction
factor f, the mean velocity v in the pipe, the distance L and the
diameter d:

p = f*L*v^2/2/d

fluid mechanics, by streeter, is kind of a classic in the topic. 
handbooks such as the mcgraw hill piping handbook, by nayyar, might get
you right to the most important equations.

good luck

victor fung
cannon