Subject: ??Gas Stoves/ovens that act as heaters??

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 21:27:54 EST

Hi,

	I have this old fashioned oven/stove (1949) that also has attached to it a 
kerosine heater(burns some type of log?). My question is: is there such a 
thing as a modern day oven/stove that only uses gas that does the same thing? 
Also heats the room.

			Your comments most appreciated,

				Ron

---

From: John Newby <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Oct 1995 16:33:29 GMT

>			Your comments most appreciated,
There is the British "AGA" stove, and the Swedish "ESSE".  I know that 
the AGA is imported here, but I'm not sure about the ESSE.

I'm not up to date with the AGA in the last 10 years, but lived with 
earlier versions for 30 years or so.  There were two basic models - a 
"2 door" (warm and hot ovens - with two covered hotplates on top) and 
a "3 door" (above plus a "plate warming compartment" and a top 
uncovered warm plate).  Each version contains a hot water coil around 
the firebox for domestic hot water heating, and there also used to be 
a companion boiler that mounted adjacent to the cooker assembly for 
full scale hot water heat.

Units are all cast iron construction and last for many years - a good 
investment, but comparably expensive.

Original units were for solid fuel but oil (vaporizing burner) and gas 
versions are now available.

Cooking on these is absolutely WONDERFUL, but very different from gas 
or electricity.  Special utensils are needed to take benefit of their 
features.

Drawbacks - price, space (these things are big), and a hot kitchen in 
summer(!).

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

John N.