Subject: Fan between basement and main floor?

From: [email-masked] (Rick Matthews)
Date: 1 Jun 1995 01:20:45 GMT

I have a very well-insulated house with a finished basement whose area
is 75% that of the main floor.  I have separate heat-pumps for
basement and main floor.

Problem: high basement humidity in summer.  The air conditioner in the
basement does not need to run at all, and so I get no moisture removal
>from  the basement.  I would rather not put a dehumidifier in the
basement, because of the difficulty in draining it and the noise.

Question: What do you think of putting a continously running fan
exchanging air between the basement and the main floor?  I would
hope that this would equalize the temperature and humidity on the
two levels.  Will this work?

--
Rick Matthews                     [email-masked]            Ham radio:
Wake Forest University            910-759-5340   (Voice)      WA4GSP
Winston-Salem, NC 27109-7507      910-759-6142   (FAX)

---

From: [email-masked] (JWDUDE2154)
Date: 2 Jun 1995 01:22:24 -0400

Rick,

Have a Humidistat installed on your basement A/C. This will bring on the
A/C as a dehumidifier when the humidity is up. You will need a t-stat with
auto changeover feature. A good tech can do this for you.

Jim Lightbody CM
Houston, Texas
[email-masked]