Subject: Re: Residential Furnace Inspections

From: [email-masked] (John Hite)
Date: 19 Oct 1995 20:30:02 GMT

Doug Geddes ([email-masked]) wrote:

[ ... ]

: I would appreciate anyone else's response re leaky heat exchangers and 
: their experience with test methods.

: Regards
: Doug

--

I'm a telecom test engineer who has missed his calling, is bored with an office job,
and getting a little middle aged crazy. Some combination of each has caused me to 
become a neophite (student @ Grayson County College) in the HVACR field. Reading
Doug's post caused me to remember that one of my instructors, who is a practitioner
by day and instructor by night had recently mentioned heat exchangers as an aside
during a lecture on heating control circuits. He's been in business for 30+ years
so I thought his opinion might be worth much more than mine. Besides using CO
detectors, he watches the flame when the fan comes on. The effects will vary but a
leak will usually have a momentary or prolonged visible effect on the flame. Then
after explaining to the customer what he is about to do, he will rattle a breaker
bar or similar non sharp edged tool around inside the exchanger to break loose the
sheets of rust and checks the flame and CO detector again. He's never had any 
complaints after explaining that any leak that is being masked by a sheet of rust 
or scale needs to be exposed b4 the rust breaks loose of its own accord. This is
probably a close approximation of what he said as I was also concentrating on 
wiring up my first heat pump trainer at the same time.

On another topic, I've been a visitor here in north Texas for 17 years ( they won't
let me be a Texan since I wasn't born here). After completing my AS degree I'd like
to move back to the southeast. Can anyone speculate on career opportunities in
Virginia or North Carolina? Do states have reciprocal liscensing agreements or 
transfers?

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

=================================================================

John Hite, green broke but learning	 ([email-masked]) 

DSC Communications Corp.
1000 Coit Rd - MS 320
Plano, Tx 75075

214-519-4619

Home: 
POB 383
Denison, Tx 75021
903-813-4102

This boy can't dance, but that's OK 
'cause my horse knows the Fox Trot
and she let's me lead.	 
=================================================================