Subject: Carbon Monoxide in Home?

From: "Peter T. Knutsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Oct 1995 18:51:29 GMT

My wife's friend has been complaining of headaches and dizzyness that 
appeared to be related to a rusted out vent stack on a gas hot water 
heater.  This vent stack has been repaired but she still feels there is a 
gas leak somewhere.  The city gas company did repair some gas lines in 
the street on her block.  Who should she call to get this checked out.  
She has tried the gas company but they have been no help.  Is there a way 
to check her home's air quality and is this type of testing expensive.  
The house is over 40 year old and has a basement that seems to have the 
worst smell.  I advised her to get a CO monitor.  Any other advice?

Pete

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Byrd)
Date: 10 Oct 1995 01:05:12 GMT

>heater.  This vent stack has been repaired but she still feels there
>is a gas leak somewhere.  The city gas company did repair some gas
>lines in the street on her block.  Who should she call to get this
>checked out.  She has tried the gas company but they have been no
>help.  Is there a way to check her home's air quality and is this type
>of testing expensive.  The house is over 40 year old and has a
>basement that seems to have the worst smell.  I advised her to get a
CO monitor.  Any other advice?
>Pete

If she is still suffering from headaches and dizziness she should

a. GET OUT OF THE HOUSE NOW.

b. Have the fire dept. come in and measure for carbon monoxide.

c. Get a blood test for COHb (chemical formed in the blood when you
inhale carbon monoxide).

You can have a deadly carbon monoxide hazard from carbon monoxide, from
other causes than a rusted out flue.  Headaches and nausea are the main
symptoms of moderately high exposure to carbon monoxide.

If there is a carbon monoxide problem, it needs to be solved.  This is
not the same as a gas leak at all.  Carbon monoxide occurs after the
gas is burned, when it burns incompletely and/or fumes leak excessively
into the occupied spaces.

What is the smell?  Carbon monoxide is odorless, though you can often
smell the other exhaust fumes that accompany it.  If it's a musty odor
it's mold, not carbon monoxide.  Mold can also cause these symptoms.

An IAQ investgation competently done probably would cost $500 to $1000,
though spending that much does not guarantee competence.

Rich Byrd
Dir. IAQ Investigations
Machado Environmental Corp.
Glendale, Calif.
{all opinions exclusively my own}