Subject: Re: Dirty socks, anyone?

From: [email-masked] (JWDUDE2154)
Date: 2 Jun 1995 18:23:38 -0400

>>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>>
>>
>>Hello.  My new Trane heat pump has come down with the dirty socks
>>syndrome. It started as we entered our first heating season.
>>The installer has come out and 'cleaned' the coil, but it still
>>smells like socks.  Any suggestions?  What is this all about?
>>
>>Regards
>>-- 
>>  Russ Crisp, Systems Analyst        |  Ham Call: KA4UXZ
>>  Western Carolina University        |    BITNET: [email-masked]
>>  Business Affairs Division          |  Internet: [email-masked]
>>  Room 311-A, HFR Building           |     Voice: (704) 227-7003

Russ,

If the Trane unit has an aluminum evaporator coil you may have a problem.
If your Tech washed it with a chemical coil cleaner or he installed a
algae tabs in the drain pan. Either of these items has a reaction to the
alluminum and will create the smell. I have not heard it happening to a
Trane but Carrier has had a bad problem of this.

If the drain pan holds water in it from the a/c operating this can cause a
smell during the heating mode. If there is algae and water in the pan the
coil will dry the water out and cook the algae.

Jim Lightbody CM
Houston, Texas
[email-masked]