Subject: Please help!

From: [email-masked] (Erik Lloyd)
Date: 31 May 1995 00:52:11 GMT

OK! I am no engineer but I do have a problem with my AC!

The thing is, it's stopped blowing the cold air it used to before. I've 
only had it for a week! And when I turn it on I can hear what seems to be 
the thermostat kicking in, but it happens every 20 secs or so, but never 
stays on! 'cept for maybe a second! Gets annoying after a while!

Thanks y'all.

--
  *8)
 [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (John Allds)
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 1995 02:33:24 GMT

==========================
 
Sounds like a Bad Compressor.  What type of unit is it?

     _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
          -----John & Dia Allds-----  
        [email-masked] 
    ---- [email-masked]
   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Bernhardt)
Date: 31 May 1995 07:38:13 GMT

Erik Lloyd ([email-masked]) wrote:
: OK! I am no engineer but I do have a problem with my AC!

: The thing is, it's stopped blowing the cold air it used to before. I've 
: only had it for a week! And when I turn it on I can hear what seems to be 
: the thermostat kicking in, but it happens every 20 secs or so, but never 
: stays on! 'cept for maybe a second! Gets annoying after a while!

The first thing that occurs to me is that one of the cooling outlets is 
too close to the thermostat. If that is the case, the cold air is blowing 
directly on on the stat making it read the room temperature as cold and 
therefore shutting down the system. 

If not that a few more pieces of info might help.

1. The fan may not be working. If your thermostat has a 'fan' switch, 
move it to the 'on' position and listen for the fan to come on. Also 
check to see if the air actually blows. If you hear the fan running but 
don't feel air, there is likely a blockage in the duct (seen the cat 
lately?) or the fan proper has loosened from the shaft of the motor and 
is not turning.

2. The thermostat 'anticipator' may be set too sensitive. Some 
thermostats have a device that makes the thermostat shut off a little 
before the thermostat actually reads that the room temperature has been 
satisfied. That saves a little energy and usually is more comfortable 
because the thermostat reading always lags a little behind the actual 
temperature in the room.

Hope this helps. I am a little rusty because I haven't done any HVAC 
thinking in about 3 years.