Subject: Re: A heating/cooling calculation program

From: [email-masked] (David Oller)
Date: 30 Jul 1995 15:49:37 GMT

I've always made my own using spread sheets.

I prefer the old Carrier manual form converted to a spread sheet, but I 
don't think it would take long to convert "J" either.

David

---

From: [email-masked] (John Mills)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 00:47:44 GMT

>don't think it would take long to convert "J" either.
I wrote a simple 1-2-3 sheet from the Manual J which works great for me 
at the customer's home on my laptop. I have it set up for 7 zones 
although usually break it down by floor for simplicity since I usually 
sell replacements. My boss does the J by hand still. Couldn't believe 
when I turned in a 7 room home for him in just a few minutes. Looked at 
the Wright-J. Too complicated for me. The customers usually don't look at 
sizing, just $$.

---

From: [email-masked] (David Oller)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 13:20:10 GMT

>the Wright-J. Too complicated for me. The customers usually don't look 
at 
Hi John, how is it going?

Well, It's been awhile since I was working with that type of customer. 
Every now and then I take a project with a Service Contractor who wants 
to build or improve his service department, however. Mostly I do Quality 
Control and Consulting work these days. But, I believe in a different 
theory than the almighty buck.

I used to have this competitor who would make his sales by giving the 
customer a slighty larger unit for the same price. I did two things to 
shoot him aout of the saddle:

1. Educated the customer on the efficiency dynamics of oversizing.

2. Gave the customer a detailed plan on my duct design. And explained to 
them the sound, efficiency, longevity advantages of properly designed 
duct work. We also devveloped a reputation for balancing our systems and 
providing even temperatures throughout the house.

Educating the customer can overcome price objections. Using your laptop 
creates a more professional image. Price isn't everything unless the 
contractor makes it that way.

I found this:

Some people go for lowest price.
Some people buy the highest price.
A good number purchase value.

Don't pander to the tightwads--getting the right customers (the ones who 
expect to pay) is the key. Don't be afraid to lose the cheapskates--give 
them away freely to your competition. Improve your exposure and marketing 
until you have an adequate number of *good* customers. Quit trying to 
please the problem customers--that really only want to manipulate you 
into working for free.

This is how you build a sound company.

David O