Subject: Re: R-12 to R134a Automobile conversion?

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Benning)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 07:38:05 GMT

Oops, haste makes waste. Second paragraph corrected.

After a trip to my friendly auto parts store today, I was disturbed to 
discover the lack of materials in their A/C supplies for converting my 
R-12 system to R-134a.

I could not find labels (indicating a conversion) and replacement 
fittings, only 1/4 and 3/16 MFF, not the (standard?) R-134a fittings I 
found on my 1993 GM car. 

My normal sources do not carry automotive components, therefore, is there 
an automotive A/C parts supplier I can recommend to my local auto parts 
supplier?

Cheers,
Joseph Benning
--
[email-masked]/.\-----Northeastern Illinois University
Joseph A. Benning              / \:/ \       Chicago, Illinois, USA 60625  
                             /   [ ]   \
"I've seen it before Joe.../   /{x.x}\   \...You're an Internet junkie; 
    Roadkill, on the     /        U        \ Information Super Highway!"

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Benning)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 05:09:04 GMT

I could not find labels (indicating a conversion) and replacement 
fittings, only 1/4 and 5/16 MFF, not the (standard?) R-134a fittings I 
found on my 1993 GM car.

Cheers,
Joseph Benning

---

From: [email-masked] (Nathan Jones)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 22:13:45 GMT

>an automotive A/C parts supplier I can recommend to my local auto parts 

There is a company named BG that sells mainly automotive chemicals to 
dealerships. They have a complete conversion kit. Check with a local
dealer's service manager to find out who his BG distributor is.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nathan Jones                     The opinions expressed here are
Accelerator Atomic Physics       obviously my own, as my employer
Oak Ridge National Laboratory    would have used several megs and
[email-masked]       eight lawyers to express theirs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~