Subject: !!Web Site!!: Lighting in Canada

From: [email-masked] (Phil Morrow)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 01:52:14 GMT

An informational page dealing with the lighting industry, with a
distinctive Canadian outlook.
I am looking for news, views, comments, rants, raves and your
participation. 
Send in that article or review that you have always wanted to write.
Publish that technical paper. Send in your company listing or URL. 
IES Section news wanted as well. 
Send in the lighting links you have found or check out ours.
Let's all participate to make this a useful and fun resource.

Lighting in Canada: http://www.mbnet.mb.ca/pmconsult/corner.html

Thanks in advance.
Phil Morrow

"...and remember...keep your stick on the ice!"
                                    -R. Green-

From 74203,3041 @Compuserve.com Mon Aug 14 13:51:24 EDT 1995
Article: 2613 of sci.engr.lighting
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!gatech!europa.chnt.gtegsc.com!news.mathworks.com!uunet!in2.uu.net!news.compuserve.com!newsmaster
From: 74203,3041 @Compuserve.com (Tom Biebel)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.lighting
Subject: Re: Neon Xfmr: electrical model?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 05:53:49 GMT
Organization: Plasma Graphics Neon
Lines: 35
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: ad20-062.compuserve.com
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.0.82

>But to understand it in terms
>of the lamp being nonlinear, and the transformer being linear, consider
>the fact that stray capacitance and inductance in the transformer or
>associated wiring will have resonant frequencies.  The nonlinearity of
>the lamp can produce some energy at this frequency and get an
>oscillation going, whereas with no lamp, all the energy would be at
>60 Hz and none of this would happen.

OK... I'll buy the resonant frequency as a potental creator of the oscillations
that produce the high frequencies.  What about the magnetic eddie current
"bounce" as I call it?  Like a ball bouncing in a rackeball court the magnetic
flux reacts with the boundary of the core and the air around it.  Is there such
a thing or was I misled on this one over the years?

>the waveforms definitely result from an interaction of lamp and transformer,

Agreed.  I just have developed this "feel" thing for neon transformers after
working with them for 20 years. It is an area of neon that is most often
misunderstood.  Especially that I work with neon installations and associated
interference with audio and video systems.  I find that if the transformers are
loaded with less tubes ( higher current and lower voltage on the secondary )
then I have no problems.  Most of my repair work is from corona effects
destroying insulation and micro-arcs cracking the glass.  Usually from
overloaded systems.  Strangely, the transformer manufacturers recomend that
their transformers be loaded heavier than I load them.  In all this time I have
lost only a few and usually due to tubes that have failed and took the
transformer with it. Perhaps you can tell me how added capacitance in series
with the load ( from high voltage cable in conduit ) would affect these
resonances? 

--
Tom Biebel
"Neoman"

From 74203,3041 @Compuserve.com Mon Aug 14 13:51:25 EDT 1995
Article: 2614 of sci.engr.lighting
Path: bigblue.oit.unc.edu!concert!gatech!usenet.eel.ufl.edu!news.mathworks.com!uunet!in1.uu.net!news.compuserve.com!newsmaster
From: 74203,3041 @Compuserve.com (Tom Biebel)
Newsgroups: sci.engr.lighting
Subject: Re: Neon Xfmr: electrical model?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 06:11:07 GMT
Organization: Plasma Graphics Neon
Lines: 35
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: ad11-001.compuserve.com
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.0.82

>But to understand it in terms
>of the lamp being nonlinear, and the transformer being linear, consider
>the fact that stray capacitance and inductance in the transformer or
>associated wiring will have resonant frequencies.  The nonlinearity of
>the lamp can produce some energy at this frequency and get an
>oscillation going, whereas with no lamp, all the energy would be at
>60 Hz and none of this would happen.

OK... I'll buy the resonant frequency as a potental creator of the oscillations
that produce the high frequencies.  What about the magnetic eddie current
"bounce" as I call it?  Like a ball bouncing in a rackeball court the magnetic
flux reacts with the boundary of the core and the air around it.  Is there such
a thing or was I misled on this one over the years?

>the waveforms definitely result from an interaction of lamp and transformer,

Agreed.  I just have developed this "feel" thing for neon transformers after
working with them for 20 years. It is an area of neon that is most often
misunderstood.  Especially that I work with neon installations and associated
interference with audio and video systems.  I find that if the transformers are
loaded with less tubes ( higher current and lower voltage on the secondary )
then I have no problems.  Most of my repair work is from corona effects
destroying insulation and micro-arcs cracking the glass.  Usually from
overloaded systems.  Strangely, the transformer manufacturers recomend that
their transformers be loaded heavier than I load them.  In all this time I have
lost only a few and usually due to tubes that have failed and took the
transformer with it. Perhaps you can tell me how added capacitance in series
with the load ( from high voltage cable in conduit ) would affect these
resonances? 

--
Tom Biebel
"Neoman"