Subject: daylight glare

From: [email-masked] (Marjukka Eloholma)
Date: 24 May 1995 08:00:43 -0400

We are planning to do studies on the effects of daylight on glare
conditions in office rooms. The idea is to gather data on daylight glare
conditions in typical office work conditions by luminance measurements and
by subjective assessments and glare control by subjects.

I would like to hear of studies on the effects of daylight  on glare in
indoor lighting. Comments on the methods to collect data on glare
conditions  caused by direct and reflected sunlight and diffuse sky are
appreciated.

The Daylight Glare Index (derived from Cornell large source glare formula)
considers glare from the sky, not direct sunlight. Does anyone know of
other methods to evaluate glare caused by daylight than the DGI ?

In some studies on daylight glare the subjects have been seated facing the
window while staring out of the window and assessing the discomfort. I
would like to hear comments on the applicability of these results into more
typical office work conditions (windows on the side wall, people performing
visual tasks).

Any good references on the subject (daylight glare, subjective assessments
of glare caused by windows etc.) are wellcome.

Marjukka Eloholma

Illuminating Engineering Laboratory
Helsinki University of Technology
FINLAND

e-mail : [email-masked]