Subject: Re: Instant Start VS Rapid Start Circuiting

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Sani)
Date: 6 Sep 1995 12:04:53 -0400

In many lighting projects, the ballast is not specified.  When it is specified, the
manufacturer very rarely gets detailed information on the type.  It is commonly just
specified as electronic or magnetic.  Because of the cost differential, many
manufactureres supply instant start ballasts.  Apparently, it has been common
practice to match RS lamps with Instant Start ballasts.  These ballasts are
generally hybrids and only recently have manufacturers produced electronic Instant
start ballasts. Has anyone experienced maintenance problems with this configuration
and if so were the problems related to premature lamp failure, ballasts or
circuiting (i.e.- relays, CBs, etc...).  Initial feedback on this issue has
indicated this is done for energy efficiency.  Other than the power consumed by the
cathode preheating, I don't see any serious reduction in wattage between electronic
RS ballasts and Instant start ballasts.  Furthermore, why aren't instant start lamps
mated with instant start ballasts - wouldn't this be less expensive and more
appropriate?  Confounding this issure further is the fact lamp manufacturers
explicitly state mating a RS lamp with an Instant start ballast is a bad idea?!
What is the general consensus....

JPS

                         \|||||/
                         ( 00  )
_______________________oo0(_)0oo______________________________________

Jeffrey P. Sani, B.Sc., M.I.E.S.            Ph:    604-888-6811
Lighting Engineer, Product Applications     Fax:   604-888-2003
Ledalite Architectural Products Inc.        email: [email-masked]
______________________________________________________________________