Subject: Re: 'PL Type' fluorescent replacement lamps

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Carpenter)
Date: Sat, 20 May 1995 19:02:09 GMT

[email-masked] (JIM8541) wrote:

>Hi,
>     I looking for info or performance data on type PL fluorescent
>replacement lamps. These would be the edison base type.I hoping to use
>these in an outside soffit fixture, but am worried about the exposure to
>cold temp. effecting starting during the winter months.Also, any thoughts
>about why standard 130 v, rough service, vibration proof incandescent type
>lamps would burn out after approx. 6 months use at 6 hrs. a day. I think
>the bulbs I've been using have a 2000 hr. rating. These bulbs are also in
>soffit type fixtures.There are 14 fixtures and every 6 months I
>replacement at least half. I have checked for water contacting the lamp
>and have monitored the incoming voltage with a recording volt meter and
>can't really say that these 2 are factors or causes. Any help would be
>greatly appreciated. Thanks

There is a new 32W PL-T lamp available by one of the manufacturers
that has a good lumen output of 0 degrees.  Otherwise, it is a bad
idea.  Sure, the lamp will start (that's how they get away with saying
0 degree starting temp) but the lumen output is proportional to
temperature.  THAT is the curve you need to look at.
*****************************************************************
* Tip of the day:   RAM DISK is NOT an installation procedure!  *
*****************************************************************
* Jeff Carpenter              email:  [email-masked]     *
* Des Moines, IA                      [email-masked]           *
*                                     75231,[email-masked] *
*****************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Forbes F S)
Date: 28 May 1995 09:07:11 -0400

Try Phillips SL-18 compacts.  They operated well in freezing temps and
come up to full brightness in just a few minutes.  

The tubes are enclosed in a plastic globe which allows them to heat up
even when temperatures are below freezing.

They use 20 watts and are equivilent to a 60 watt incd.

If your lights are recessed they make the same light in a floodlight
housing.

I have had one outside my house in New England for 6 years burning over 5
hours each night and never had a problem in the cold weather.

If your fixture won't fit either of the Phillips lights you could try an
RS35-13WQ from INCON IND. which is a screw in retrofit utillizing a 13
watt quad bulb.

Their toll free number is 1-800-393-5630

Hope this helps

---

From: [email-masked] (Lamp Technology)
Date: 2 Jun 1995 13:51:07 -0400

Steven Border ([email-masked]) wrote:
: You might also try using Panasonic EFT or EFG (globe). 

: They are much smaller than the philips SL-18 and are electronic as well as 
: enclosed. 

: Call them at:  800-245-5874
: E-mail at: [email-masked]
: Or visit their web page: http://www.netins.net/showcase/lighting/

I believe these lamps were discontinued by Panasonic although there may 
be some out there in circulation. Check it out. Philips line of Earth 
Lights (energy saving lamps series) are better I think. If you would like 
specs on the whole Philips series e-mail me at [email-masked]. I can 
fax or mail what you need!

Janet Connolly

-------------------------------------------
 Janet Connolly      Lamp Technology, Inc.
 [email-masked]    1-800-KEEP-LIT
  "We a have bulb for every socket"
  http://www.webscope.com/lamptech/
-------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Lamp Technology)
Date: 2 Jun 1995 13:51:07 -0400

Janet Connolly