Subject: Re: Looking for 35W HPS Yard Light, Mounting Height 5-8 ft.

From: [email-masked] (Kirke Coney )
Date: 25 Jul 1995 22:14:22 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ian Fisher)
writes: 

>I hope the church realises this will make any vegetation they have
>look dead and the low wattage will further emphasise the hellish
>appearance of the light. A church a few blocks from me recently
>replaced some servicable looking HPS wall-mounted lights with halogen
>floods. I didn't think the gloomy HPS light was suitable for lighting
>a chruch and it would appear that my opinion was not unique.

I have seen several HPS lit churches, and none of them look "hellish".
I think the key feature is a quality luminaire. A good posttop is made
by McGraw Edison.  It is a cutoff, but looks like a traditional gas
light.  It is cataloged as a 50 watt unit, but I am sure a 35w would be
no trouble.  McGraw also makes the pole.

---

From: [email-masked] (DaveOesper)
Date: 26 Jul 1995 00:05:14 -0400

>a chruch and it would appear that my opinion was not unique.

Good thing I didn't say anything about how much I like LPS for many
outdoor applications!  Personally, I don't like full-spectrum white light
sources such as metal halide for most outdoor lighting applications
because of their  "harsh" appearance and their negative effect on dark
adaptation (rods are blue-sensitive).  Perhaps halogen is a little better
in this respect.

Kirke Coney writes:

>I have seen several HPS lit churches, and none of them look "hellish".  I
>think the key feature is a quality luminaire.

AMEN!

David Oesper
Outdoor Lighting Associates, Inc.
Ames, Iowa  USA