Subject: Lighting Designers Get Free Net Access

From: [email-masked] (AECNET Info Center)
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 1995 20:20:33 +0100

PRESS INFORMATION

Contact: Gene Simon
(516)754-3020

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AECNET and IALD to Provide Free Internet Access for IALD Members

November 6, 1995 - Northport, NY - AECNET - The Electronic Resource
Network of Architecture, Engineering and Construction - entered into an
agreement to provide members of the International Association of Lighting
Designers (IALD) with free access to the Internet, including free access
to the AECNET Internet Bulletin Board System (BBS) and World Wide Web
site.  AECNET will work with the IALD and other lighting industry
organizations to establish LightNET, a section of AECNET dedicated to
serving lighting professionals worldwide.

AECNET is using its agreement with the IALD to showcase its innovative use
of the Internet as a tool in enhancing membership services and
peer-to-peer communications among the members of a professional society. 
AECNET is confident that this will open the door for other professional
associations with the design and construction industry to follow this
model.

"We are very happy to be able to provide this service to the IALD", said
Drew Linsalata, president and CEO of AECNET.  "It is another step toward
making AECNET the electronic center of the design and construction
community. This agreement is the first of its kind in the industry and is
a sign of the times.  The IALD recognizes the importance of staying on top
of emerging technology and providing its membership with the benefits of
these technologies.  We are certain that we will all benefit from this
process."This agreement will provide our members with valuable information
with the click of a mouse," stated Kenneth E. Yarnell, president of the
IALD.  "These services represent a powerful tool for the professional
lighting designer.We are pleased that we are able to offer them as a free
member benefit.  The IALD represents the leaders in the lighting design
industry, and we feel that by working with AECNET to build a
state-of-the-art communications network, we will enter the 21st century as
a stronger and more influential organization."

Every IALD member will receive a package including free software that will
allow them to access the Internet, including the LightNET World Wide Web
site (http://www.aecnet.com/lightnet/) and the LightNET Internet Bulletin
Board System (BBS).  AECNET and the IALD have planned various educational
programs to enlighten the IALD membership on the use of on-line tools in
daily business.  It is expected that these programs will contribute to a
high level of system usage.

Studies conducted by both AECNET and the IALD have shown that lighting
product information is the item most desired by over 87% of lighting
professionals.  The LightNET service will respond to that demand by
encouraging lighting product manufacturers to showcase their products
on-line.  Promotional packages include space on both the LightNET World
Wide Web site and the LightNET BBS.  In these arrangements, manufacturers
are able to combine the benefits of the popular World Wide Web with the
interactive nature of a BBS to take advantage of this electronic gathering
of the world's most influential lighting specifiers.  A tiered approach to
product promotion on-line is planned, allowing manufacturers of all sizes
to access these specifiers on the LightNET service.

The IALD's Lighting Industry Resource Council, an organization comprising
both lighting designers and product manufacturers, will act to provide the
framework needed to standardize the methods of communication between the
lighting specifier and the lighting product manufacturer on-line.

Founded in 1969, the IALD is a professional organization dedicated to the
advancement of lighting excellence in the built environment. The
Association serves the interests of professional lighting designers and
communicates the benefits of designed lighting.

AECNET is dedicated to gathering, organizing, and electronically
delivering valuable information and service resources, and easy to use
communication tools for professionals in the AEC industry.  The AECNET
team is combining open World Wide Web and Internet based Bulletin Board
services to provide design and construction professionals with a wealth of
vital and current information and resources covering both technical and
business related issues.

#          #           #