Subject: Re: Help with broken light.???

From: [email-masked] (Lamp Technology)
Date: 9 May 1995 16:48:54 -0400

Camron Rust ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Pardon me if this group is inapporpriate for this topic. If so,
: could someone point me to where I might find help.

: I have a Spa with an ozone generation system for water purification.
: This system uses an UV bulb (shaped much like standard flourescents (sp??)
: but much smaller). This bulb fails after about 2 years. Is this normal?
: The cost is about $100 to replace the bulb at the Spa dealer. I have
: yet to find a better source such a specialty lighting supplier.
: Does anyone know where I might find such bulbs?

: Also, how do these work---electricallyr? In looking in the box there
: are only 2 parts, the starter (what is a starter? a capacitor??) and
: another object that looks like some sort of transformer (balast??)
: with 2 leads. I observed the voltages with an Oscilloscope and the
: inputs are AC, I don't remember the voltage but it was present.

: I have been told that these parts can cause early failure of the
: bulb. Is this true or is it just a scam for the service company to
: make some money replacing a $2 starter for $35.

: Thanks,
: Camron

: -- 
: Camron Rust	[email-masked]	503-531-5040

Mr Rust:

If you can supply some additional information to our engineer Ralph 
regarding the bulb (ie: part number, manufacturer etc.) we may be able to 
supply the bulb or direct you to someone else who can. We are a specialty 
light bulb supplier and stock several manufacturer's bulbs including UV 
bulbs. Please call 1-800-533-7548 and ask for Ralph. I am sure that we 
can help you.

-------------------------------------------
 Janet Connolly      Lamp Technology, Inc.
 [email-masked]    1-800-KEEP-LIT
  "We a have bulb for every socket"
  http://www.webscope.com/lamptech/
-------------------------------------------
Janet Connolly

---

From: [email-masked] (Camron Rust)
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 17:56:28 GMT

Pardon me if this group is inapporpriate for this topic. If so,
could someone point me to where I might find help.

I have a Spa with an ozone generation system for water purification.
This system uses an UV bulb (shaped much like standard flourescents (sp??)
but much smaller). This bulb fails after about 2 years. Is this normal?
The cost is about $100 to replace the bulb at the Spa dealer. I have
yet to find a better source such a specialty lighting supplier.
Does anyone know where I might find such bulbs?

Also, how do these work---electricallyr? In looking in the box there
are only 2 parts, the starter (what is a starter? a capacitor??) and
another object that looks like some sort of transformer (balast??)
with 2 leads. I observed the voltages with an Oscilloscope and the
inputs are AC, I don't remember the voltage but it was present.

I have been told that these parts can cause early failure of the
bulb. Is this true or is it just a scam for the service company to
make some money replacing a $2 starter for $35.

Thanks,
Camron

-- 
Camron Rust	[email-masked]	503-531-5040

---

From: [email-masked] (John MacDonald)
Date: 23 May 1995 14:00:27 -0300

>: make some money replacing a $2 starter for $35.

Camron,	The type of lamp that you are using requires two pieces of 
supplemental equipment.  These are a starter and a ballast as you 
mentioned.  The ballast provides the lamp with the proper voltage under
steady state condtions (i.e. once the lamp has ignited).  The ballast
also limits the current which is provided to the lamp.  You see as
the lamp ignites it changes from a high impedance load to a low impedance
load.  If the current is not limited, the ballast and the lamp will burn
out.  Thus if the ballast is letting too much current reach the lamp
it could be causing the lamp to burn out too early in it's life.  Note
that I am not saying that this is the problem, just that this is what your
"service" person was refering to.  As I said, the ballast provides the
proper voltage for steady state operation.  The lamp however, requires 
a much higher voltage to initially ignite.  The ballast is not capable
of providing this voltage.  This is where the starter comes into play.
The starter will provide a high voltage pulse until the lamp ignites and
then (usually) will disengage itself from the circuit once the lamp has
been ignited.  Hope this clears up any problems.

later...

***********************************************
... and crawling on the planet's face
	some insects called the human race...
... lost in time ... lost in space
... and meaning
***********************************************

---

From: widevo ()
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 15:32:26 GMT

You sould be able to buy replacement lamps from any electrical
wholesaler.  Get the lamp number off the lamp and call all the
wolesalers in your area.  You might be forced to buy a case, but they
should be much cheaper then $100.00 each.  The ballast and starter may
also be purchased at your wholesaler.  I believe that the ballast and
starter are just standard fluorescent lamp products.  Nothing special
about them.