Subject: Re: Advise Re: Halogen vs. Incandescent for Lobby

From: Andrea BARAUSSE <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Nov 1995 18:32:42 GMT

hi :
incandescent globes will have Avg. of 1000 Hrs. only .
Halogen can last 2000/ 4000 Hrs. (G.E precise carring a 3000 hrs. life 
garantee)
The compac fluorescent have Avg. life expentacee of 8000  with the     
normal ballsat and up to 10000 with electronic ballast.
What do you mean for quality of light (re: fluorescents ) ?.  If you are 
referring to the Cool colour of the light , please note that is available 
a warm colour (ex. OSRAM 41).  If you are refering to the absence of 
"punch" you might whant to considered a fitting with deep reflector 
capable of generate a moore concetrate pool of light.
For a lobby situation (possibly 24 hrs/day operation) I will definetly 
give first option to the Fluorescent (are definetly the most economical to 
run and with long mantenance intervals).
 
N.B.    ------  One year 24Hrs./day = 8760 Hrs.  --------

What you might like to considered is:
 Compact fluorescent for the general illumination
 Halogen (low voltage) to high lite some area- in order to create moods  
and a dinamic enviroment.

Wich ever way will assist you the guidence of an expert in order to 
position correctly the different fittings. 
 
 in conclusion:
 I have run some calculation in order to assist you on your decision 
making. Please remember that  even if I have converted in dollars, your 
electricity rate, labour, globe price and excalation rate might differ 
>from  our, so the cost might not rappresent the real cost in you area.
    In any event the ration should remain quite costant.

This calculation allow a) 24 hrs/day application -- 365 day/year
                       b) fix price excalation of 10% /year
                       c) No air conditioning 
                       d) Labour for globe replacent
                       e) Avg. price per year (over 5 year period)
 The 3 fittings 
1) incandescent 100w (avg. life 1000 hrs.)  1380 lumen
2) halogen 50w 12v   (avg. life 3000 hrs)   1000 lumen 
3) Dulux flu  18w    (avg. life 8000 hrs.)  1200 lumen
 becose the different caratteristic of the reflector you can see them as 
equivalent options.

       complite running cost per one fitting excluding FITTING COST.
              cost/year        ratio
              
incadescent $ 305.00             3
halogen     $ 237.00             2.3
fluorescent $ 103.12             1

Hope this will help .

have fun  and .....        MIGHT THE LITE BE WITH YOU.

arrivederci

---

From: "Barry D. Besmanoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 95 23:43:14 PDT

If you install a dimmer on the line and drop the voltage about 5%, your lamp 
life will increase to about 8000 hours and the drop in intensity will not be 
very noticeable

---

From: Andrea BARAUSSE <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Nov 1995 09:16:24 GMT

Hi,

 It is correct that by dimming you could extend the life span of your 
incandescent/halogen globe...   --- In fact is the right idea if you want 
get a lower mantenance factor ---

What I might suggest at this point is :

incandescent globe = For our Net at 220/240 volts we have acces to        
  globes  rated 260 volts. (this will under run the globe -with out       
  using a dimmer - ...)

for Halogen (low voltage)= get a transformer with  a lower secondary      
                           voltage that what is required.

By avoiding dimmer you increase the relaibility of your installation and 
on energy will be waste by controlling/drivin additional equipment.

Two last words.
 (the following are average value )

                        life  | lumin. flux | power cons.|
 5% voltage reduction = 200%  |     85 %    |      93%   | 
10% voltage reduction = 250%  |     75 %    |      85%   |

 if you are using halogen is not a good idea to go below the above values
 as other factor will come in to play with no benefit and we will  
negativly effect the life span of your globe - 

and now .......... back you ...  
I am only wander if we really brought                                    
light to you case or .. .....

 might the light be with you .. (soon ) 
 at least before some one will break a leg .

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !  ( arrivederci a tutti)
  Good luck 
  
-- 
                     ----------------------------------------------   
                        ------     ANDREA    BARAUSSE    -------
                           ---     Lighting designers    ---
                             --     TUBOMEC LIGHTING    --
                               -   Ph.27 - 31-5628412  -
                                   Fx.27 - 31- 526840
                                 ----South  Africa ---
                                   ----------------

---

From: [email-masked] (JBriggsCO)
Date: 5 Nov 1995 00:24:21 -0500

My name is John Briggs, I'm a lighting engineer.  I think you shoul give
additional thought to the compact fluorescent idea....The lighting design
community has really embraced this technology, because of the improvement
in color, in addition to the extremely long life, low energy (and bills),
while achieving near incandescent quality.    Next I would say halogen. 
Several incandescent lamps (R30) were legeslated out of existance on
Halloween this year.

---

From: [email-masked] (PBradfield)
Date: 6 Nov 1995 17:15:04 -0500

Cool White FL is also being legislated out of existantce too.