Subject: T-8 Optic Bulbs

From: [email-masked] (Bergmana)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 14:32:27 -0500

I am a school principal in New Jersey.  Our school system is converting to
T-8 full spectrum optic bulbs.  Some teachers find them too harsh.  My own
observation is that children's faces seem to have a red cast under this
lighting.  Is there anyone who knows anything about these bulbs and,
perhaps even more importantly, about any studies in which bulbs have been
related to pupil behavior?

Please e-mail comments to:    [email-masked]
Hint:  those are lowercase "ells;"  not the number 1.   

Thank you,

Abby B. Bergman
"The unexamined life is not worth living."       PLATO

---

From: [email-masked] (Ilumenator)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 22:22:59 -0500

You wrote:

T-8 lamps are available in a variety of color temperatures. If the color
seems too red to you, you may want to try a 4100 K lamp.  I am a little
confused by your use of the term "full spectrum."  Does this mean that the
lamp emits Ultraviolet A, B and C? 
I can't give you any particular studies relating lamp technology with
student behavior.  However, it has been demonstrated on numerous occasions
that a well-lighted educational environment improves vision and visual
performance.  Whether or not this affects behavior is debatable. 
Feel free to contact me, if I can be of any help.