Subject: Re: Lighting Design Software Reviews

From: [email-masked] (Sam Bienstock & Debby Michels)
Date: Mon, 08 May 1995 16:58:02 +1000

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(DaveOesper) wrote:

> Alas, for those of us who are dyed-in-the-wool Macintosh users, the only
> lighting design software available (that I am aware of) is Isopoint for
> the Macintosh, from Lighting Analysts, Inc.  It's biggest drawback is that
> you can't fence the calculation region (mean illumination, max, min,
> max/min ratio).  It always picks a square calculation region centered on
> the origin, and the size of the square is determined by the scale you set
> (e.g. 12 ft. per inch).  And, Lighting Analysts recently told me that they
> have no plans to upgrade Isopoint for the Mac nor do any more Macintosh
> software development.
> 
> This is indeed bad news.  I have to put up with PCs at work, and I'm
> always happy to come home to my Macintosh.  I don't want to buy a PC.  I
> just saw a demo of Windows 95 last week, and it is nice to know that Apple
> has been right all along (Windows 95 is more "Mac like" than Windows and
> OS/2).
> 
> Is there any other lighting software out there for the Apple Macintosh?  I
> do outdoor lighting design exclusively, so would be interested in any
> other outdoor lighting software for the Mac.
> 
> David Oesper
> Outdoor Lighting Associates, Inc.
> Ames, Iowa
Dave,
There is a program out there for theatre and film types that my be
applicable for you. It is a design program with symbols for drafting,
footcandle/lux readouts from various libraries of luminaires (user
adaptable), and a "show model" facility to see what a user designed
polygon shape will look like under the lights with various gels etc., etc.
The program is called MacLux by Claude Heintz of Oregon (address is in
Compuserve).
Hope this helps!
Cheers!
Sam