Subject: Thunder & Lightning

From: Craig Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Aug 1995 16:03:20 GMT

I need help.....

  I would like to have a couple of strobe lights and sync them to 
sound (thunder).  Anybody have any ideas on how to sync them or 
to create something that is made just for this?

  Thanks,
    Craig

---

From: [email-masked] (Loren Wilton)
Date: 13 Aug 1995 23:40:20 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>to create something that is made just for this?

It depends on where the sound is coming from.  Using modern technology,
one might assume that the thunder could be a sample on a synth.  The
synth will respond to MIDI commands, and may even be able to generate them
if it has a built-in sequencer.

You can also get quite cheap switch closure devices that are triggered
by MIDI commands.  A switch closure can of course be used to trigger your
strobes.

So you can record your thunder as some samples, set up a sequencer to play
them back, and also have it trigger the strobes.

Older technology would have used thunder on one track of a tape recorder,
and a cue track on the other track, or foil on the back of the tape,
depending on the sort of tape player you used.

	Loren

PS: If you are planning on using this in a theatrical production, test
it beforehand by triggering the strobes manually.  It has been my experience
that strobes by themselves make lousy lightning effects.  The flash duration
is too short.  You will probably get better results with some 250W or 500W
photoflood bulbs, since when you pulse them you can get something lasting
around .1 to .3 second as it fades out.  The longer time causes the pupils
to close down farther, and give a sensation of "deeper darkness" after
the flash, just as a real lightning bolt will.  A typical photo strobe
is so fast that the eyes don't start to close down.

	LW

---

From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: 13 Aug 1995 21:08:35 GMT

Craig Lewis ([email-masked]) wrote:
:   I need help.....

:   I would like to have a couple of strobe lights and sync them to 
: sound (thunder).  Anybody have any ideas on how to sync them or 
: to create something that is made just for this?

:   Thanks,
:     Craig

Craig,

Try Lightning Strikes at 213/461-6361, and Great American
Market at 213/461-0200.

Good Luck!

  -Dale Marks          [email-masked]

---

From: Craig Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Aug 1995 00:32:04 GMT

I will try it Monday, Thanks!