Subject: COLORING List/Digest and Pages, an invitation

From: [email-masked] (William Dawes)
Date: 10 Aug 1995 23:59:20 GMT

What is COLORING?

     EVERYTHING you see has been colored by nature, or by coloring
     specialists. Your interest may be casual -- you may just have a
     question for our experts, or you may have a continuing interest in
     these topics. There is no newsgroup for color yet, though there is
     an ongoing effort to form one, to be called sci.engr.color.

     IF you are one of the thousands of specialists, you may want to
     place a bookmark to our pages, and request E-Mail notice of
     significant updates to these pages. Or you may wish to subscribe
     to the COLORING List/Digest and take part in the discussions there.

     You may SUBSCRIBE to the E-Mail COLORING List/Digest or request a 
     SAMPLE DIGEST from [email-masked]. Please give your name and write a
     few sentences about your special interest in color.

     If you have WWW access, see the COLORING Pages at

		http://www.infi.net/~color/.

   * The COLORING List and Pages are intended to serve people interested in
     the coloring of paints, plastics, fabrics, inks, ceramics, and other
     materials. The List is published about twice a month in Digest form.
     It was started in April 1995, and has signed about 180 members.

   * Members include 
        o artists, art conservators and restorers;
        o colorists, color technologists, scientists, engineers,
          mathematicians, chemists and spectroscopists;
        o designers, stylists, psychologists and philosophers; and
        o workers in the pigment, dye, paint, plastics, textile, and
          instrument industries.

   * Discussions may include, but are not limited to
        o lighting and filters;
        o vision and perception;
        o instruments, measurement, standards and calibration;
        o color difference metrics and tolerances;
        o color order systems, color naming;
        o pigments and dyes;
        o safety and environmental concers;
        o color stability; and
        o color matching, software, colorant calibration and color lab
          procedures.

   * Employment opportunities for, and profiles from color specialists and
     consultants are welcome. A directory of COLORING People is maintained
     here, which includes all the List subscribers. Anyone who wishes to be
     listed as a specialist in color may apply here.

   * Company profiles will be solicited and published.

   * Announcements of Web pages by individuals and entities serving color
     science and the color industry are encouraged.

   * Announcements of technical meetings of interest to coloring
     specialists are posted.

   * The group will attempt to create archives of important public domain
     spectra and other data, and software for the benefit of color science
     and technology.

-- 
Bill Dawes  [email-masked]
http://www.infi.net/~wmdawes/