Subject: near UV continuum source needed

From: [email-masked] (Remington Stone)
Date: 19 Feb 1995 05:29:43 GMT

Hello, lighting wizards,

I'm looking for a smooth continuum lamp with a good flux in the
3000-3200 angstrom range.  The source will be used at an astronomical
telescope to calibrate our detectors.  Spectral smoothness is an
absolute requirement, but everything else is pretty flexible; 110v
is preferred, but anything up to that is ok, a 2"x2" bulb is fine,
but so is a 6"x6" one or anything remotely like that, and while
lower wattage is preferred to minimize unnecessary heat, I suppose
even a few hundred watts would be worth a try.  

So far, the best thing I've found is the 12v lamps with a dichroic
blue reflector -- that has the nice advantage of relatively
decreasing the red flux -- but the ones I've found so far are still
not blue enough.

Any recommendations?  A source and price would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rem

not blue enough.  Something with peak emission at

---

From: [email-masked] (M.A.Ferenczi)
Date: 20 Feb 1995 01:18:32 GMT

Remington Stone ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hello, lighting wizards,

: I'm looking for a smooth continuum lamp with a good flux in the
: 3000-3200 angstrom range.  The source will be used at an astronomical
: telescope to calibrate our detectors.  Spectral smoothness is an
: absolute requirement, but everything else is pretty flexible; 110v
: is preferred, but anything up to that is ok, a 2"x2" bulb is fine,
: but so is a 6"x6" one or anything remotely like that, and while
: lower wattage is preferred to minimize unnecessary heat, I suppose
: even a few hundred watts would be worth a try.  

Xenon lamps provide flat spectrum with output down to 240 nm. They
require high voltage supplies and are expensive. Deuterium lamps
are also good (they are used in spectro
photometer
Cheers
Mike

Try Oriel