Subject: Re: LED technology

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Cuttle)
Date: 22 May 1995 09:16:00 -0400

On the topic of red, green or blue exit signs, the International
Standards Organization designates red to be the warning color for
danger, and green to be the color of safety.  The tendency to
follow red lights in an emergency is an exclusively North
American response: the rest of the world goes for green.

It may be added that for ISO signs, "EXIT" is giving way to
pictograms to avoid language difference problems, and two distinct
types of signs are used.  For low-adaptation locations, such as
auditoria, the characters are green on a black background, and
otherwise they are white on a green background.  Either way, the
intention is that where smoke reduces the visibility of the
characters, a "green blob" effect will prevail.

Kit Cuttle
Lighting Research Center
Renssealaer Polytechnic Institute
Troy, New York
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (WILLIAM R. HESTER)
Date: 24 May 1995 11:53:14 -0600

Interesting comments about EXIT signs...Red vs. Green.

Here in Denver Colorado, the building department has 
determined that Green Exit signs shall be used...
greater visability in smoke filled rooms.

This is in direct opposition to all the surrounding
counties which still require the signs to be Red.

Of course, none of the local electrical supply houses
stock the Green ones...special order only.