Subject: Re: Web Based Online Database Searching

From: Nahum Gat <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Aug 1995 05:32:55 GMT

Some of what you suggesting may be already happening.  The Smithsonian 
Institute is providing such services (and continuously adding more 
databases).  Their Web site address escaped my mind, but you can find 
them hot-linked at the TechExpo site

http://www.techexpo.com/

under links to academia technology sites

Regards

---

From: [email-masked] (JAREMAN)
Date: 12 Aug 1995 13:40:59 -0400

I would like to see such a thing come about.  I am a graduate student at
the Univ. of Washington in the Orthopedic Biomechanics Lab at Harborview
Hospital.  It would be very nice to be able to do medline type searches
and even searches of solid biomechanics libraries around the world if they
were available.  The old dial into the university will only last another
couple years for me until I complete my Ph.D. and then when I am no longer
affiliated with the university what do I do.  Since I have america online
and have the ability to get on the web pretty much at will I would
appreciate the opportunity to perform searches on databases such as
medline or others.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve M. Kile)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 18:54:43 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (JAREMAN) writes:
>affiliated with the university what do I do.

Hopefully when you complete your Ph.D you will seek full time employment and
have a suitable income to support paying for a few online searches.  Perhaps
your employer would pick up the cost.

>Since I have america online

No such thing as a free lunch.  Welcome to the real world.
--
Steve M. Kile, CBET                                [email-masked]

---

From: "Gerald E. Greener" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Aug 1995 02:31:14 GMT

I have found more and more reference material online, but have spent some 
time developing my sources.  Some of the government sources are the best. 
You can use your free 90 searches on infosearch to get some good leads.  
I could not afford it on aol and had to change to a private local 
provider. $150 per year for 28.8 dialup.  I am searching for 
environmental, civil engineering and dredging on the inernet and have 
some good sources.

Jerry

---

From: [email-masked] (paul milligan)
Date: 13 Aug 1995 03:53:26 GMT

Please Please Please !!!!

	Look at the headers on this thread !  This is what they look like ;

sci.engr.civil,sci.engr.mech,sci.engr.marine.hydrodynamics,
sci.engr.manufacturing,sci.engr.lighting,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac,
sci.engr.geomechanics,sci.engr.control,sci.engr.civil,sci.eng.chem,
sci.engr.biomed,sci.energy.hydrogen,sci.engr.advanced-tv

	That's right, you're cross posting to 13 different groups !

PLEASE DELETE SCI.ENGR.HEAT-VENT-AC from this cross-posted thread !!!