Subject: From the moderator

From: [email-masked] (M. Clay Belcher)
Date: 9 May 1995 12:37:58 -0400

You've all read Jonathan Hardis' explanation of the switching of this
list to a moderated list.  I just wanted to add my comments about how I
plan to approach the job.

First of all, the intent is not to censor or in any way limit or stifle
debate.  We are merely trying to eliminate some of the nuisance messages
that have proliferated recently.

I check my e-mail at least once a day, and frequently twice.  Thus, the
delay imposed by "moderating" the list should be minimal.  If I plan to
be away from my computer for more than one day, we'll make arrangements
to have somebody cover for me.

If a message is sent to the list that is intended for an individual, and not
of general interest, I will probably simply forward it to the intended
recipient if I can do that easily.  This assumes that the personal message
was posted to the list naively or as an honest mistake.  If someone makes a
habit of doing it, I'll send that person a request to stop.

I suspect the traffic is light enough that I will be able to make some
sort of response to each rejected message, but I won't make any promises
at this point.  I reserve the right to simply let it die in my in box.

As Jonathan mentioned, feel free to contact me if a problem arises.

Clay Belcher, PhD, P.E.                 voice:  (913) 864-3434
Associate Professor                     fax:    (913) 864-5099
Architectural Engineering               e-mail: [email-masked]
University of Kansas