Subject: Re: LED technology

From: [email-masked] (John MacDonald)
Date: 23 May 1995 14:13:53 -0300

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jeffrey Sani) says:
>
>I am looking for any information regarding new LED technology.  I have
>recently become aware of the availability of blue LEDs.  I suppose this will
>have quite an impact on niche fields such as emergency lighting as there
>already exists red and green.  Any feedback will be much appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Jeffrey P. Sani, B.Sc., MIES                          Ph:    604-888-6811
>Lighting Engineer, Product Applications     Fax:   604-888-2003
>Ledalite Architectural Products Inc.            email: [email-masked]
>
Jeffrey, there was a really well written article in the February issue
of WIRED magazine ( a delightful mag BTW).  It gave insight into the 
possible ramifications of the emergence of the blue LED on the lighting
industry.  Note: I think it was the February issue, if you can't locate it
in that issue, E-mail me and I'll look in my archive.

***********************************************
... and crawling on the planet's face
	some insects called the human race...
... lost in time ... lost in space
... and meaning
***********************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Lamp Technology)
Date: 26 May 1995 10:42:27 -0400

John MacDonald ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jeffrey Sani) says:
: >
: >I am looking for any information regarding new LED technology.  I have
: >recently become aware of the availability of blue LEDs.  I suppose this will
: >have quite an impact on niche fields such as emergency lighting as there
: >already exists red and green.  Any feedback will be much appreciated.
: >
: >Regards,
: >Jeffrey P. Sani, B.Sc., MIES                          Ph:    604-888-6811
: >Lighting Engineer, Product Applications     Fax:   604-888-2003
: >Ledalite Architectural Products Inc.            email: [email-masked]
: >
: Jeffrey, there was a really well written article in the February issue
: of WIRED magazine ( a delightful mag BTW).  It gave insight into the 
: possible ramifications of the emergence of the blue LED on the lighting
: industry.  Note: I think it was the February issue, if you can't locate it
: in that issue, E-mail me and I'll look in my archive.

: ***********************************************
: ... and crawling on the planet's face
: 	some insects called the human race...
: ... lost in time ... lost in space
: ... and meaning
: ***********************************************
Jeffrey-

The idea of using blue LED's for exit lighting seems to me to be quite 
unrealistic. Blue LED's are extremely expensive (as if LED retrofit kits 
and LED exit signs aren't expensive enough) and they are very dim. To 
make an exit sign bright enough with a blue LED system, it would seem to 
me to be astonomical price wise since it would require many more 
ultrabright blue LED's than the standard LED exit sign (red or green). I 
may be wrong but my company offers blue LED's (ten time the price of 
standard colors) and nobody orders them due to the difficulty of the eye 
detecting whether it is lit up or not. Perhaps in a dark, smokey room it 
would appear more visible, however I doubt it.

-------------------------------------------
 Janet Connolly      Lamp Technology, Inc.
 [email-masked]    1-800-KEEP-LIT
  "We a have bulb for every socket"
  http://www.webscope.com/lamptech/
-------------------------------------------