Subject: Californeon(tm)

From: [email-masked] (Larry Ching)
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 18:45:37 GMT

[ Please excuse me if this has already been posted - I haven't seen it
  in my newsgroup feed yet , so I am re-sending it. ]
 
 I am trying to identify an electroluminescent material , and also possible
sources of this material.
 
 I recently purchased an auto detailing lighting kit called Californeon (tm)
, which is made by American International in California. A mention was 
made in the instructions to "... a new lighting technology derived from the 
NASA space program ...".It seems to consist of two parallel metallic strips , 
which act as two conductors , across which is painted an electroluminescent 
material , which is orange in color. This assembly is strengthened by a 
transparent plastic material that has adhesive on it. This stripe is meant to 
be used in the interior  of cars , for accent lighting.
 
 The stripe is excited by a "power pack" that converts the input automotive 
12 VDC  into an output 2Khz ac ( approx. 250V 0-peak AC ). I was able to 
excite the stripe with a 2.5khz square wave into a Radio Shack 8 ohm/1K ohm 
audio transformer. The resultant light is "white" with a slight peak in the 
green. 
 
 Does anyone know what the electroluminescent material might be? I would
like to make my own designs besides the stripe form that Californeon (tm)
is sold in , for the purposes of costuming and other such custom occasions.
I would like to identify the material , and also know where I can by the stuff
myself.

 Larry Ching / [email-masked]