Subject: ECO Bulbs

From: [email-masked] (Mark Blythe)
Date: 3 Mar 1995 02:21:38 GMT

ECO Bulbs
                          Energy Efficient Light Bulbs

                              Reduce Energy Bills
                           Help Save the Environment

What is an ECO Bulb?  An ECO Bulb is an energy-efficient compact flourescent
light bulb.  Using only 18 watts of energy, this bulb produces as much light
as a 60-75 watt incandescent bulb.  In addition to these energy savings, ECO
Bulbs also boast an incredibly long life - approximately 10,000 hours.  Thus,
one ECO Bulb lasts as long as THIRTEEN standard 750 hour bulbs. That's twelve
more bulbs you don't have to buy, and twelve more bulbs that won't end up in
our landfills.  Each ECO Bulb will save you $60 over its lifetime, based on
an energy cost of 10 cents/KWH.

Can changing a light bulb really make an impact on the environment?  It
certainly can.  Each time you choose an ECO Bulb over a regular incandescent
bulb, you save one barrell of oil.  That's right; one light bulb saves a whole
barrell of oil.

Convinced yet?  The Sierra Club of Fort Worth, Texas is selling Eco Bulbs
for $10.70 each, tax included.  Half of the proceeds will be donated to the
Fort Worth Habitat for Humanity.  If you'd like to order some bulbs, please
contact Karen Foley at (817) 467-5799.  This offer does not include shipping
and is mainly intended for Fort Worth area residents.  If you live elsewhere
and would be willing to pay for your own shipping, an arrangement could be
reached.  These bulbs typically cost around $15 in stores, so if you're
planning to buy several, you would likely save money through this offer,
even with additional shipping costs.  If you'd rather purchase compact
flourescent bulbs from a merchant closer to home, please check nearby hardware
and lighting stores.

ECO Bulbs are an easy way to save money and lessen your impact on the
environment.

*=======================================================================*
 Mark Blythe           http://www.dfw.net/~blythe         [email-masked]
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 "If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and
  endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a
  success unexpected in common hours." - Henry David Thoreau, "Walden"
*=======================================================================*

---

From: [email-masked] (Gerry Power)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 18:22:07 GMT

Eco bulb?

Does it contain mercury and toxic elements/chemicals?

Most incandescent bulbs don't...

Is it self-ballasted with a "disposable" ballast that will use resources 
to make and just end up in a landfill, or is the lamp replaceable without 
trashing the ballast?

How does fixing one problem and creating another _really_  help the 
environment?

Sorry to pick on _this_ particular lamp, but the "Green Lights" 
designation is a travesty when we save energy and needlessy pollute and 
create useless, non-reusable components that could _easily_ be designed 
and manufactured to be recycled and reused.

End of diatribe #1021

Gerry
-- 
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gerry Power               |  *Certain of these images did not fit into
    [email-masked]        |   any narrative I knew.*
    irc: BigRdBear            |  Joan Didion, _The_White_Album_
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------