Subject: Ann: Building Sci. Resource Page

From: [email-masked] (Stuart Lewis)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 16:21:53 GMT

I have put together a WWW page with a number of links and pointers
to building science information, specifically relating to energy 
and illumination.

It can be found at:
<a href="file://ftp.netcom.com/pub/st/stuartl/resources.html"></a>

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.
Enjoy!

Stuart Lewis
<[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (John Hail)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 20:43:18 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

I tried to connect in Mosaic to this:

hppt://ftp.netcom.com/pub/st/stuartl/resources.html

and Mosaic looked and looked but I canceled the request.  Should I try it
again or something else?

Thanks

John

---

From: [email-masked] (Stuart Lewis)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 23:19:37 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (John Hail) says:
>and Mosaic looked and looked but I canceled the request.  Should I try it

The page is actually on an ftp server rather than a www server, so if 
you specify 'http:' instead of 'file:' in your URL the document will not 
be retrieved properly.  

(It will still look and act just like any other html document, however.)

-Stuart

---

From: [email-masked] (Stavros Macrakis)
Date: 08 Mar 1995 17:07:06 GMT

In articles <[email-masked]> and <3jipm9$hdo@
mordred.gatech.edu>, [email-masked] (Stuart Lewis)
writes:

   ...a WWW page [on] building science, ...specifically... energy
   and illumination....at:

   <a href="file://ftp.netcom.com/pub/st/stuartl/resources.html"></a>...

   The page is actually on an ftp server rather than a www server, so
   if you specify 'http:' instead of 'file:' in your URL the document
   will not be retrieved properly.

Actually, "file:" is not the correct specification, and <a...> is not
the correct citation form for URL's.  The correct form is:

	ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/st/stuartl/resources.html

According to the URL spec, "file:" "does not designate a resource that
is universally accessible over the Internet".  As for <a...>, that is
the anchor used to reference the document within HTML, but the
location of the document itself is as above.  Note also that serving
the document via ftp rather than http means that the client (browser)
needs to "guess" how to display it.  Sure, it starts with <html>, so
that seems clear, but using HTTP makes things clearer.  So I'd suggest
you move to a WWW server when you can.

This all sounds nitpicky, doesn't it?  But it does make a difference
to the end user.

	-s

---

From: [email-masked] (Stavros Macrakis)
Date: 08 Mar 1995 17:07:06 GMT

-s

---

From: [email-masked] (This is me!)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 12:53:38 LOCAL

>John

FYI: to connect to a ftp site use the following in Mosaic (or, even better 
Netscape)
ftp://netcom.com/pub/st/stuartl/resources.html

The ftp:// is the type of site you are going to, and the rest is the URL 
 or "real" address.

Have fun.

---

From: [email-masked] (Stuart Lewis)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 23:19:37 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (John Hail) says:

-Stuart

---

From: [email-masked] (Stavros Macrakis)
Date: 08 Mar 1995 17:07:06 GMT

-s

---

From: [email-masked] (This is me!)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 12:53:38 LOCAL

Have fun.

---

From: [email-masked] (John Hail)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 20:43:18 GMT

Thanks

John

---

From: [email-masked] (Stuart Lewis)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 23:19:37 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (John Hail) says:

-Stuart