Subject: Halogen-IR

From: [email-masked] (Greg Mackell)
Date: 5 Sep 1995 16:27:59 -0400

GE's Halogen-IR PAR lamps have been around for a while now and
I'm wondering if anyone out there has some unbiased comments about
the technology?  I've heard of shortened lamp-life in dimming applications
(as with any halogen-type lamp), but I guess I'm looking for general
satisfaction or dis-satisfaction with the product.  Does anyone have
some other experience, good or bad,  that they would like to share?
     I think the technology is great, but at around $11-$13 a shot, the
economic advantage over a typical halogen PAR is borderline with typical
utility costs.
     Also, I have one of the early verisions of the HIR and the beam tends
to be spotty.   I've heard of improvements in beam distribution, but I
haven't seen anything with my own eyes.
     Any Comments would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Gregg Mackell
Architectural Engineer
Western Area Power Administration
[email-masked]