Subject: grad school advice needed -Reply

From: [email-masked] (Robert Prouser)
Date: 18 Feb 1995 19:48:47 -0500

I teach theatrical lighting at UCSC (Santa Cruz, CA), and hope that
some of you may advise me.  I have a few students that want to go on
into architectural lighting.  I don't know the schools and programs
in the architectural side of lighting, nor do I know what their
expectations of students are.

Could some of you pass on names of likely schools in this area, and
what level of math is expected from entering graduate students? Also,
is an apprenticeship to be encouraged before enrolling in grad
school?

Please respond to me directly, as this isn't really germane to this
list.
BTW, did anyone do a summary report on the recent lighting education
conference that was mentioned in this list?

Thanks much! - John

\./ John G. Rathman 3 \./ [email-masked] \./ UCSC: 408-459-4320
\./
/'\ Lighting Designer /'\   USA829   IESNA   /'\ HOME: 415-854-4560
/'\
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
The Parsons School of Design in New York City offers a two year (if
taken full-time) Masters of Fine Arts in Architectural Lighting
Design.  It is a heavily design-oriented program with four semesters
of six-credit lighting design studios, taught by members of New York
City's lighting design community.  This studio work is supplemented
with substantial supporting coursework in human factors, illuminating
engineering, history of lighting, luminaire design, daylighting, and
other related topics.

Contact the Office of Admissions/Parsons School of Design/66 Fifth
Avenue/ New York, New York 10011 Tel. 2122-229-8910, or 800-252-0852,
FAX 212-229-8975, and ask for the "Graduate Studies Catalog".