Subject: Re: LED TVs

From: [email-masked] (Timothy Kordas)
Date: 17 Feb 1995 20:01:39 GMT

Jonathan E. Hardis ([email-masked]) wrote:

> 1)  The laboratory-prototype blue LEDs generally have a short lifetimes
>     or operate only at cryogenic temperatures.  More development is
>     required.  Would you like it when individual pixels start failing
>     on your TV screen?

as several other people have mentioned, Cree research does manufacture
Blue LEDs which are not laboratory prototypes...they are quite inefficient,
but certainly work fine at room temperature...GaN LEDs are much more efficient,
but that technology isn't nearly as mature as the SiC that Cree uses (??).

-Tim
--
Timothy J. Kordas                   
http://bambi.eeap.cwru.edu/tjk/tim.html

---

From: [email-masked] (Timothy Kordas)
Date: 17 Feb 1995 20:01:39 GMT

-Tim