Subject: Re: Dimming fluorescent lamps

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Carpenter)
Date: 24 May 1995 14:41:53 -0400

>I'm trying to locate information on dimming fluorescent lamps.  I know
>that dimmers for incandescent lamps won't work, but that some special
>dimmers are made for this purpose.  What experience have you had with
>these units -- good, indifferent, or bad?
>
>========================================================================
>Michael D. Shapiro, Ph.D.                      e-mail: [email-masked]
>NCCOSC RDT&E Division (NRaD) Code 4123           San Diego CA 92152-7560
>Voice: (619) 553-4080         FAX: (619) 553-4808          DSN: 553-4080

You need a special dimming ballast in the fixtures in addition to a special
dimmer.  The technology has gotten a lot better over the past 6 months to a
year.  The only thing that is keeping it from going mainstream on a regular
basis (at least from a designers perspective) is the $.  It is still a
pretty good adder to go to a dimming fluorescent fixture.

*****************************************************************
* Tip of the day:   RAM DISK is NOT an installation procedure!  *
*****************************************************************
* Jeff Carpenter              email:  [email-masked]          *
* Des Moines, IA                      [email-masked]           *
*                                     75231,[email-masked] *
*****************************************************************