Subject: Visual performance

From: [email-masked] (Ouellette, Mike)
Date: 23 Nov 1994 20:59:34 -0500

For those on this list who have enquired about research on lighting
parameters on visual performance or visual comfort, the following is a
condensed list of potentially-relevant publications from our lab.

Mike Ouellette
National Research Council Canada
Institute for Research in Construction
Bldg. M-24 Montreal Road
Ottawa, Ont. Canada K1A 0R6
tel. 613-993-9619 ; fax 613-954-3733 ; Bitnet [email-masked]
======================================================================
Newsham, G.R.
"Modelling occupant control of window blinds and lighting : Effects on
comfort
and energy predictions", Indoor Environment pp. 1-36 (In Press).
(NRCC-37021) (IRC-P-3567)

Veitch, J.A.; Gifford, R.
"Conceptualizing control over the physical environment : The Case of
workplace
lighting" Presented at: Annual Convention of the Illuminating  Engineering
Society of North America, San Diego, CA, USA on August  2-6, 1992; and
Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, Washington, DC,

USA on August 14-18, 1992)
(NRCC-33973) (IRC-P-1757)

Tiller, D.K.; Rea, M.S.
"Prospects for semantic differential scaling in lighting research" Lighting
Research and Technology 24, 1992 pp. 43-52.

Veitch, J.A.
"The Psychology behind right light choices : Review and research agenda"
Right
Light : 2nd European Conference on Energy-Efficient Lighting 1993 pp.
796-811,
1993
(NRCC-36111) (IRC-P-3358)

Veitch, J.A.
"Workplace lighting quality and full-spectrum fluorescent lighting"
Presented at
Occupational Safety and Health : OSH '93 (Toronto, Ont. Canada, 1993) pp.
1-9,
1993
(NRCC-36971) (IRC-P-3517)

Veitch, J.A.; Gifford, R.
"Assessing beliefs about lighting effects on health, performance, mood and
social behaviour" Annual Convention of the Canadian Psychological
Association
(Montreal, Que., Canada, 1993) 1993

Veitch, J.A.; Hine, D.W.; Gifford, R.
"End-users' knowledge, beliefs and preferences for lighting" Journal of
Interior
Design 19(2), 1993 pp. 15-26.
(NRCC-34001) (IRC-P-1785)

Finn, D.W.; Tiller, D.K.
"Evaluating lighting quality" Canadian Property Management 7(2), 1992 pp.
20,
22.
(Reprinted in Construction Practice : Selected Applications in Construction
Technology (NRCC-35475))
(NRCC-34012) (IRC-P-1797)

Veitch, J.A.; Gifford, R.
"Personal control over workplace lighting : too much of a good thing?"
Illuminating Engineering Society of North America : IESNA Conference (San
Diego, CA., USA, 1992) pp. 818-857, 1992
(NRCC-33972) (IRC-P-1756)

Ouellette, M.J.; Rea, M.S.
EYE2 : A Fortran program for the estimation of true retinal illuminance as a

function of adaptation luminance, observer age, and viewing distance, 1991.
22
pp. (IRC Internal Report 604)
(IRC-IR-604)

Rea, M.S.; Ouellette, M.J.
"Relative visual performance : a basis for application" Lighting Research
and
Technology 23(3), 1991 pp. 135-144.
(NRCC-33103) (IRC-P-1717)

Tiller, D.K.
"Tools for evaluating lighting quality" Technology and Real Property in the
1990s, Conference '91, 4th Annual Conference on Federal Real Property
Management, Presented Papers (Ottawa, ON, Canada, 1991) pp. 243-253,
1991
(NRCC-34939) (IRC-P-1973)

Tiller, D.K.; Ouellette, M.J.; Pasini, I.C.
"A method for predicting the economic consequences of changes to visibility"

22nd Session of the Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage (Melbourne,
Australia, 1991) pp. 71-72, 1991 1(1)
(NRCC-34105) (IRC-P-1883)

Veitch, J.A.; Gifford, R.; Hine, D.W.
"Demand characteristics and full spectrum lighting effects on performance
and
mood" Journal of Environmental Psychology 11(1), 1991 pp. 87-95.
(Also presented at: Annual Convention of the Canadian Psychological
Assocation, Calgary, ALBT, Canada on June 13-15,  1991)

Rea, M.S.
"Some basic concepts and field applications for lighting, color, and vision"
Glare
and Contrast Sensitivity for Clinicians New York : Springer-Verlag, 1990.
pp.
120-138
(NRCC-34135) (IRC-P-1655)

Rea, M.S.; Jeffrey, I.G.
"A New luminance and image analysis system for lighting and vision I. :
Equipment and calibration" Journal of the Illuminating Engineering Society
(Win),
1990 pp. 64-72.

Rea, M.S.; Ouellette, M.J.; Tiller, D.K.
"The effects of luminous surroundings on visual performance, pupil size, and

human preference" Journal of the Illuminating Engineering Society 19(2),
1990
pp. 45-58.
(Also presented at the IESNA Annual Conference held in Orlando, FL,  USA, in

1989)
(NRCC-34058) (IRC-P-1841)

Tiller, D.K.
"Towards a deeper understanding of psychological aspects of lighting"
Journal of
the Illuminating Engineering Society 19(2), 1990 pp. 155-160.
(NRCC-34059) (IRC-P-1842)

Tiller, D.K.; REA, M.S.
"Prospects for semantic differential scaling in lighting research"
Proceedings of
the CIBSE National Lighting Conference (Cambridge, U.K., 1990) 1990

Veitch, J.A.
"Office noise and illumination effects on reading comprehension" Journal of
Environmental Psychology 10(3), 1990 pp. 209-217.
(Also presented at the Annual Convention of the Canadian Psychological
Association, Montreal, Que., Canada on June  9-11,1988)

Rea, M.S. Visibility criteria for signs, signals, and roadway lighting,
1989. 12-16
(Transportation Research Record 1247)
(NRCC-32351) (IRC-P-1681)

Rea, M.S.; Ouellette, M.J.; Tiller, D.K.
"The effects of luminous surroundings on visual performance, pupil size, and

human preference" Bask in the Bright Ideas : Technical Papers : IESNA Annual

Conference (Orlando, Florida, U.S.A., 1989) pp. 780-821, 1989
(NRCC-36013) (IRC-P-3260)

Ouellette, M.J.
"Exit signs in smoke : design parameters for greater visibility" Lighting
Research
and Technology 20(4), 1988 pp. 155-160.
(Also presented at the National Lighting Conference held at Cambridge, UK,
March 1988)
(NRCC-33105) (IRC-P-1719)

Rea, M.S.; Ouellette, M.J.
"Table-tennis under high intensity discharge (HID) lighting" Journal of the
Illuminating Engineering Society 17(1), 1988 pp. 29-35.
*** NOTE: study of performance for a dynamic visual task ***
(NRCC-34062) (IRC-P-1845)

Rea, M.S.; Ouellette, M.J.
"Visual performance using reaction times" Lighting Research and Technology
20(4), 1988 pp. 139-153.
(Also presented at the National Lighting Conference held at Cambridge, UK,
March 1988)
(NRCC-33104) (IRC-P-1718)

Veitch, J.A.
"Office noise and illumination effects on reading comprehension : Bringing
the
Real World to the Lab" Annual Convention of the Canadian Psychological
Association (Montreal, Que., Canada, 1988) 1988

Rea, M.S.
"Toward a model of visual performance: a review of methodologies" J. Illum.
Eng. Soc. 16(1), 1987 pp. 128-42.
(NRCC-27848) (IRC-P-1461)

Rea, M.S.; Boyce, P.R.; Ouellette, M.J.
"On time to see" Lighting Research and Technology 19(4), 1987 pp. 101-103.
(NRCC-33106) (IRC-P-1720)

Smith, S.W.; Rea, M.S.
"Check value verification under different levels of illumination" J. Illum.
Eng. Soc.
16(1), 1987 pp. 143-49.
(NRCC-27951)

Rea, M.S.
"Toward a model of visual performance: foundations and data" J. Illum. Eng.
Soc. 15(2), 1986 pp. 41-57.
(NRCC-27170) (IRC-P-1437)

Rea, M.S.; Clark, F.R.S.; Ouellette, M.J. Photometric and psychophysical
measurements of exit signs through smoke Ottawa : National Research Council
Canada. Division of Building Research, 1985. 42 pp.
(NRCC-24627) (DBR-P-1291)

Rea, M.S.; Ouellette, M.J.; Kennedy, M.E.
"Lighting and task parameters affecting posture, performance and subjective
ratings" Journal of the Illuminating Engineering Society 15(1), 1985 pp.
231-8.
(Presented at the Illuminating Engineering Society Conference,  Detroit, MI,

USA, July 21, 1985)
(NRCC-25546) (IRC-P-1361)

Wright, G.A.; Rea, M.S.
"Age : a human factor in lighting"  Proceedings of the International
Conference
on Occupational Ergonomics. v.1. Research Reports and Case Studies (Toronto,

Ont. Canada, 1984) pp. 508-12, 1
(NRCC-23822) (DBR-P-1241)

Rea, M.S.
"Behavioral responses to a flexible desk luminarie"  Illuminating
Engineering
Society Conference (Los Angeles, CA, USA, 1983) pp. 174-90, 1983 (J. ILLUM.
ENG. SOC. 13(1))
(NRCC-23687) (DBR-P-1231)

Rea, M.S.
"Effects of Haidinger's brushes on visual performance" J. Illum. Eng. Soc.
12(3),
1983 pp. 197-203.
(NRCC-22786) (DBR-P-1144)

Rea, M.S.
"Calibration of subjective scaling responses" Lighting Research and
Technology
14(3), 1982 pp. 121-29.
(NRCC-20869) (DBR-P-1076)

Rea, M.S.
"Photometry and visual assessment of polarized light under realistic
conditions"
Illuminating Engineering Society Conference ( Toronto, Ont. Canada, 1981)
pp.
135-39, 1982 (J. Illum. Eng. Soc. 11(3))
(NRCC-20272) (DBR-P-1037)

Rea, M.S.
"Visual performance with realistic methods of changing contrast" J. Illum.
Eng.
Soc. 10(3), 1981 pp. 164-77.
(NRCC-19458) (DBR-P-986)

Levy, A.W.
"The CIE visual performance system" Lighting Research and Technology 10(1),
1978 pp. 19-27.
(NRCC-16820) (DBR-P-786)

Levy, A.W.
"Visual performance, visibility and apparent contrast" Lighting Design and
Application 7(11), 1977 pp. 23-26.
(NRCC-16506) (DBR-P-755)