Subject: List of Military Technical Reports on any subject

From: Michael Ravnitzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:53:53 -0600

At a government agency called DTIC: Defense Technical Information 
Center, there are a large number of government technical reports on 
almost any subject under the sun, including the so-called smart drugs.

NOTE:  Don¹t bother using the DTIC web site--in a nutshell, it¹s 
worthless and omits the bulk of the two million technical reports in 
the DTIC collection.  Send a letter--you¹ll get much better results.

You'll have to select your own keywords for the exact subjects you¹re 
interested in.  I suggest you select no more than ten keywords or less 
for each letter.  Please select your keyword[s] carefully and include 
plural[s] like I just did.  Put an *OR* between each keyword or 
subject term.

The fee is likely to be free or only a few bucks.  You probably want 
to include a statement in the letter such as *I agree to pay 
reasonable fees associated with this request.  Please notify me if the 
cost will exceed $30.*,  so that they won't delay the processing of 
the request.  Remember, they will try to dissuade you from asking for 
such a list.  If they send you a letter, and you don¹t respond, they 
will withdraw your request and you won¹t get your information.  

To get your bibliography (list) of technical reports,  send a letter 
of request as follows:

To:      Defense Technical Information Center
            Attn:  DTIC-RSM (Kelly D. Akers, FOIA Manager)
            8725 John J. Kingman Road, Suite 0944
            Fort Belvoir, VA  22060-6128  USA
Phone:  703-767-9194

Dear Ms. Akers:

I request the following records under the provisions of the Freedom of 
Information Act:

A computer generated technical report bibliography (all computerized 
years) of reports on the subject(s)/keyword(s) of:

________________  OR   _________________  OR  ________________  OR 

 _______________   OR   _________________  OR   _______________

This is a request for DTIC records, please don't forward my request to 
NTIS.  Please include both classified and unclassified records in your 
search.  If any of the records are classified, please review them for 
release, or the release of nonsensitive portions.

I am an individual, noncommercial requester and this request is not 
being made for commercial purposes.  [OR YOU MIGHT INSTEAD INDICATE IF 
YOU ARE A COMMERCIAL REQUESTER, OR AN EDUCATIONAL OR SCIENTIFIC 
INSTITUTION, OR A REPRESENTATIVE OF THE MEDIA]  I also agree to pay up 
to $35 for reasonable fees associated with this request.

Sincerely,        ______________