Subject: Re: Renewable Energy: Wind, Etc.

From: [email-masked] (Charles Collins)
Date: 20 May 1995 10:56:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Ken Finney) wrote:

> > There seems to be a continuing interest in alternate energy
> > sources.  This information should be of use to those seeking
> > to switch in part or whole to "off-the-grid" energy sources.
> > 
> > As of mid-1995, the only really economical
alternative-energy                
> > source is wind power, provided that sufficient wind is
available             
> > at your site.  Photovoltaic seems to be what is sexy these
days,             
> >    Eric Walker
> 
> Thanks for the info on the book, but there are two rules for alternative
> energy: One, the denser the force you are working with, the better; and
> Two, if you have access to grid power, that will (almost) always be
> the cheaper option. Water is denser than wind, and wind is denser than 
> sunlight.  If you are in a location where you will have to run power 
> lines for a half a mile or more, alternative power will cost less in 
> capital costs than running power lines, even though operating expenses 
> may be higher.
> 
> -- 
> [] SEANEWS [] Seattle Public Access (v.FC 28.8k) []
> [email-masked] [] +1 206 747-NEWS (6397) []

Hi 

We live completely on solar electricity - yes  it is possible - you see we
have 24 solar electric panels mounted on a duel axle tracker which means
that it is equivalent to 36 panels. These produce enough electricity
stored in our alkaline type ( nickel Iron) batteries to operate our system
for three to five days. What we use from our 24VDC batteries is lights,
solar efficient ref./freezer, water pressure pump plus a 4500 watt sign
wave inverter. The inverter gives us AC electricity so that we can operate
our normal appliances such as dish washer, trash masher, Hover cleaner,
washing machine, toaster, small kitchen appliances plus a wood working
shop which includes a radial arm saw(energy hog)....... as my wife Fran
says she doesn¹t want to suffer ....... and we don¹t ..... as we have all
the toys our ³city² friends have BUT no monthly bills........ A set up
like we have doesn¹t come cheep.......... we did start for less than
$600.00 as we only had one solar panel and a sears battery.  

I have been writing a weekly "ask Mr Solar" column for the past three
years in the south  west which has been published in several local
newspapers - It is now on the Web as you will see the column is written so
that anyone can understand and apply solar electricity to their every day
use. We, Fran and I, have learned through trial and error what works and
what doesn¹t in solar and want to pass this information on to you.
              If you would like to learn practical information about solar
as well as graphics then  go to  NHNE (New Heaven New Earth) World Wide
Web HomePage     http://www.well.com/user/nhne/       NetScape is the best
browser to use. The NHNE is a page about the changes taking place on our
planet now and in the near future, which you should find interesting.  You
can  go directly to the column by punching your mouse on Ask Mr Solar
article. 
                We invite your questions and will try to answer all of
them. We also design solar systems using your already owned components or
will sell you new components if you are in the market.

If you and your friends would like or me to send this to your news group
let me know OK?

JHave a good day 

Charlie Collins