Subject: Bomber Series--Boeing B-17 Fortress (18 of 27)

From: [email-masked] (joseph.f.baugher)
Date: 31 Aug 94 01:27:32 GMT

The designation F-9 (F for "Foto") was assigned to photographic 
reconnaissance conversions of existing B-17 bombers.  This should not 
be confused with the F-for-Fighter designation scheme, which was not 
introduced until 1948.  

Sixteen B-17Fs were converted to long range photographic 
reconnaissance configuration by having their bombing equipment deleted 
and replaced by photographic equipment.  Some cameras were installed 
in the nose and in the aft fuselage as well.  These aircraft were 
redesignated F-9.  Some defensive armament was retained.  

The designation F-9A was assigned to an unspecified number of B-17Fs 
that were converted to photographic configuration in a manner similar 
to that of the F-9 but differing in some camera details.  All of these 
planes were redesignated F-9B after further camera changes.  

The designation F-9B was assigned to 25 photographic Fortresses 
obtained by adapting some existing F-9As and by converting other 
B-17Fs.  

The designation F-9C was assigned to ten B-17Gs converted for 
photographic reconnaissance in a manner similar to the F-9, F-9A, and 
F-9B conversions of the B-17F.  I have one photograph of a F-9C in 
which the chin turret of the B-17G has been replaced by a housing for 
tri-metrogen cameras.  In 1948, the few surviving F-9Cs were 
redesignated RB-17G, the R standing for "Reconnaissance".  

Serials of F-9: 

Conversions of B-17F 42-3324, 42-5753, 42-29676, 42-29719, 42-29753, 
42-29783, 42-29801, 42-29805, 42-30083, 42030220, 42-30232, 42-30252, 
42-30253, 42-30256, 42-30268, 42-30299.  

Serials of F-9B: 

Conversions of B-17F 42-2984, 42-6129, 42-6134, 42-6135, 42-6138, 
42-6140, 42-6159, 42-6164, 42-6183/6187, 42-6200, 42-6201, 42-29873, 
42-29899, 42-29902, 42-29904, 42-29911, 42-19913, 42-19917, 42-29922, 
42-30469, 42-30486.  

Serials of F-9C: 

Conversions of B-17G 43-37689, 43-37711, 43-37914, 43-38155, 43-38162,
43-38168, 43-39649, 43-38651, 43-38653, 44-83626.  

Sources:

  Flying Fortress, Edward Jablonski, Doubleday, 1965.

  Famous Bombers of the Second World War, Volume One, William
  Green, Doubleday, 1959.

  Boeing Aircraft Since 1916, Peter M. Bowers, Naval Institute
  Press, 1989.

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough
  and Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

  Boeing B-17E and F Flying Fortress, Charles D. Thompson,
  Profile Publications, 1966.

  American Combat Planes, Ray Wagner, Third Edition, Doubleday, 1982.

  Jane's Fighting Aircraft of World War II, Military Press, 1989.

Joe Baugher			**************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories		*  "Round up the usual suspects."    *
1000 E. Warrenville Road	**************************************
P. O. Box 3013
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7013		
(708) 713 4548				
uscbu!jfb                     Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!	
[email-masked]