Subject: Bomber Series--Boeing B-17 Fortress (4 of 27)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Jul 94 16:18:01 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The B-17B (Model 299M) was the first production version of the B-17 
series.  Originally, it was designated Model 299E, but changes in Air 
Corps specifications were considered sufficient to justify a new 
factory designation.  

Outwardly, the B-17B differed from the Y1B-17 only in having a revised 
rudder with larger area, larger flaps, and a revised nose that 
eliminated the greenhouse gun turret in the upper nose and the belly 
bomb-aiming window in the lower nose.  The upper nose turret was 
replaced by a simple socket for a 30-inch machine gun in the extreme 
tip of the nose.  The bomb-aiming window was replaced by an optical 
flat in the lower part of the Plexiglas nose fairing over which the 
famous Norden bombsight was mounted.  The revised nose resulted in a 
decrease in overall length of 7 inches.  A small plastic dome was 
added to the cabin roof.  More-powerful R-1820-51 engines were fitted 
which delivered a maximum power of 1200 hp for takeoff and 900 hp up 
to 25,000 feet.  Internally, many systems were changed and crew 
members were relocated.  The brakes were changed from pneumatic to 
hydraulic.  

The Norden bombsight was a gyro-stabilized bomb sight originally 
developed by Carl L. Norden and Capt. Frederick I. Entwistle.  It 
was capable of quickly calculating the plane's forward velocity and 
drift and making corrections in order to achieve a hit.  In later 
versions, the Norden bombsight was connected with the autopilot, and 
actually flew the plane during the final run into the target.  In the 
press releases of the day, it was claimed to be so accurate that it 
could "put bombs in a pickle barrel".  The Norden bombsight was 
considered so secret that it was installed, carefully covered, in the 
aircraft only immediately before takeoff and was taken out immediately 
after landing, always under the supervision of an armed guard.  

The first B-17B (38-211) flew for the first time at Seattle on June 
27, 1939.  39 B-17Bs were built in a single run at Boeing.  However, 
the USAAC serial numbers were scattered over several batches, 
indicating how difficult it was at the time for the Air Corps to 
obtain funding--it could only order B-17Bs a few at a time.  

All 39 of the B-17Bs were delivered to the USAAC between July 29, 1939 
and March 30, 1940.  The B-17Bs were issued to the 2nd, 7th, and 19th 
Bombardment Groups, except for the first example which was retained at 
Wright Field for tests.  

In November of 1939, seven Fortresses flew from Langley Field to Rio 
de Janeiro, Brazil on a good-will mission.  All planes returned safely 
with no major incidents, once again demonstrating the safety and 
reliability of the B-17 design.  

Many B-17Bs were modernized in 1940-41 to use such such features as 
the flush-type side openings for 0.50-inch machine guns that had been
introduced on the B-17C.  

A B-17B serving with the 41st Reconnaissance Squadron of the 2nd Bomb 
Group based in Newfoundland attacked a U-boat on October 27, 1941.  
Although the U-boat was undamaged in the attack, this incident was the 
first in which bombs were dropped in anger by the Army Air Forces in 
action against German forces.  Since the United States was officially 
not at war with Germany at the time, the incident was not reported in 
the press.  

38-211/223 	Boeing B-17B 
38-258/270 	Boeing B-17B 
38-583/584 	Boeing B-17B 
38-610 		Boeing B-17B 
39-1/10 	Boeing B-17B 

Specification of Boeing B-17B: 

Four Wright R-1820-51 Cyclone radial engines rated at 1200 hp for 
takeoff.  Maximum speed 292 mph at 25,000 feet.  Service ceiling 
24,620 feet.  Maximum range 3101 miles.  Dimensions: Wingspan 103 feet 
9 3/8 inches, length 67 feet 10.2 inches, height 15 feet 5 inches, 
wing area 1420 square feet.  Weights: 27,652 pounds empty, 37,997 
pounds gross, 46,178 pounds maximum.  Armed with five 0.30-inch 
machine guns, with one gun in each of nose, dorsal, ventral, and two 
waist positions.  A maximum of eight 600 pound bombs could be carried 
in an internal bomb bay.  

Sources:

  Flying Fortress, Edward Jablonski, Doubleday, 1965.

  Famous Bombers of the Second World War, Volume One, William
  Green, Doubleday, 1959.

  Boeing Aircraft Since 1916, Peter M. Bowers, Naval Institute
  Press, 1989.

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough
  and Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

  Boeing B-17E and F Flying Fortress, Charles D. Thompson,
  Profile Publications, 1966.

  American Combat Planes, Ray Wagner, Third Edition, Doubleday, 1982.

  Jane's Fighting Aircraft of World War II, Military Press, 1989.

Joe Baugher			**************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories		*  "Round up the usual suspects."    *
1000 E. Warrenville Road	**************************************
P. O. Box 3013
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7013		
(708) 713 4548				
uscbu!jfb                     Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!	
[email-masked]