Subject: Number 101 in the Series--McDonnell F-101 Voodoo

From: [email-masked]
Date: 23 Nov 93 18:18:27 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The F-101A was not well-suited for low-altitude tactical strike 
operations because its structure was stressed only for maneuvers that 
did not exceed 6.33 G.  The F-101C was a follow-on version of the 
single seat F-100A which had a strengthened structure designed to 
allow maneuvers of up to 7.33 G.  The F-101C was externally identical 
to the F-101A and had similar internal equipment and armament.  
Generally, F-101As and Cs could be distinguished from each other only 
by their serial numbers.  

The first F-101C flew on August 21, 1957, and the last of 47 examples 
was delivered in June of 1958.  Ninety-six aircraft (56-049/56-135) 
originally ordered as F-101Cs were completed as RF-101Cs after the Air 
Force decided not to acquire any more Voodoo single-seat strike 
fighters.  

In service, one of the four 20-mm cannon of the F-101C was frequently 
removed in order to make room for TACAN navigation equipment.  

On May 22, 1958, two air-refuelled F-101Cs flew a 5600-mile 
closed-circuit course beginning and terminating at Bergstrom AFB in 
Texas in 11 hours 35 minutes.  A flight of F-101Cs flew from Andrews 
AFB in Maryland to Liege, Belgium in 6 hours 12 minutes on June 28, 
1958.  

Before the last F-101C could be delivered, it was decided that TAC 
would transfer all of its single-seat Voodoo fighters to the 81st 
Tactical Fighter wing based at RAF Bentwaters in Suffolk.  A flight of 
seven F-101Cs were ferried nonstop from Bergstrom AFB to RAF 
Bentwaters in Suffolk in 11 hours 2 minutes on August 10, 1958.  

The F-101C fighters served with the 81st Tactical Fighter Wing until 
replaced by McDonnell F-4C Phantoms in 1965-66.  Following their 
removal from active USAF service in 1965, ex-USAF F-101Cs were 
modified by Lockheed Aircraft Service Company of Ontario, California 
to serve with the Air National Guard as unarmed reconnaissance 
aircraft.  A total of 31 F-101Cs were converted (serial numbers were 
54-1486/1488, 1491, and 1493, plus 56-1/4, 6, 10/12/ 14, 16, 18-20, 
22/23, 25/27, 29, 30, 32/36, and 39), accidents by this time having 
accounted for most of the remainder of the 47 F-101Cs originally 
built.  In these converted F-101Cs, the armament was completely 
removed and new nose cones housing reconnaissance cameras were 
installed.  These aircraft were then redesignated RF-101H.  As 
compared to the RF-101C dedicated photo-reconnaissance version of the 
F-101C, the RF-101H had a shorter and broader nose.  Along with the 
RF-101G (an equivalent conversion of the F-101A), they served with the 
154th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron of the Arkansas ANG, with the 
165th TRS of the Kentucky ANG, and the 192nd TRS of the Nevada ANG.  
Beginning in 1970, these aircraft were supplemented by RF-101Cs that 
had been retired from active USAF stocks following the withdrawal from 
Vietnam.  The last reconnaissance Voodoos were finally withdrawn from 
ANG service in 1979.  

Serials of the F-101C: 

54-1486/1493 	McDonnell F-101C-40-MC Voodoo 
56-001/005 	McDonnell F-101C-40-MC Voodoo 
56-006/019 	McDonnell F-101C-45-MC Voodoo 
56-020/032 	McDonnell F-101C-50-MC Voodoo 
56-033/039 	McDonnell F-101C-55-MC Voodoo 

Specifications of the F-101C: 

Two Pratt & Whitney J57-P-13 turbojets, 10,200 lb.s.t. dry and 15,000 
lb.s.t. with afterburner.  Dimensions: wingspan 39 feet 8 inches, length 
67 feet 6 inches, height 18 feet 0 inches, wing area 368 square feet.  
Maximum speed 1012 mph at 35,000 feet.  Initial climb rate 45,000 
feet/min.  Service ceiling 55,100 feet, combat ceiling 51,540 feet.  
Normal range 1315 miles, maximum range 2125 miles.  Weights: 26,277 
pounds empty, 48,908 pounds gross, 39,495 pounds combat weight, 51,000 
pounds maximum takeoff.  Maximum internal fuel load was 2250 US 
gallons.  A total of three under-fuselage drop tanks could be carried, 
bringing maximum fuel load to 3150 US gallons.  Internal armament 
consisted of four 20-mm cannon.  

Sources:

  McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Since 1920: Volume II, Rene J.
  Francillon, Naval Institute Press, 1990.

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and
  David Donald, Temple Press Aerospace, 1990.

  American Combat Planes, Third Enlarged Edition, Ray Wagner, Doubleday,
  1982.

  Post-World War II Fighters, 1945-1973, Marcelle Size Knaack,
  Office of Air Force History, 1986. 

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033