Subject: Number 101 in the Series--McDonnell F-101 Voodoo (9 of 10)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Dec 93 16:06:13 GMT

>From [email-masked]

Following their removal from active USAF service in 1965, eighteen 
ex-USAF F-101As (serial numbers 54-1445, 4119, 1452, 1455, 1457, 1461, 
1462, 1463, 1468, 1469, 19470, 1472, 1475, 1479, 1481, 1482, 1484, and 
1485) were modified by Lockheed Aircraft Service Company of Ontario, 
California to serve as unarmed reconnaissance aircraft for use by the 
Air National Guard.  The armament was removed and new nose cones 
housing cameras were installed.  These aircraft were redesignated 
RF-101G.  

As compared to the RF-101A dedicated photo-reconnaissance version of 
the F-101A, the RF-101G had a shorter and broader nose.  Along with 
the RF-101H (an equivalent conversion of the F-101C), they served with 
the 154th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron of the Arkansas ANG, with 
the 165th TRS of the Kentucky ANG, and the 192nd TRS of the Nevada 
ANG.  Beginning in 1970, these aircraft were supplemented by RF-101Cs 
retired from active USAF stocks.  The last reconnaissance Voodoos were 
withdrawn from ANG service in 1979.  

Sources:

  McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Since 1920: Volume II, Rene J.
  Francillon, Naval Institute Press, 1990.

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and
  David Donald, Temple Press Aerospace, 1990.

  American Combat Planes, Third Enlarged Edition, Ray Wagner, Doubleday,
  1982.

  Post-World War II Fighters, 1945-1973, Marcelle Size Knaack,
  Office of Air Force History, 1986. 

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033