Subject: Number 104 in the Series--Lockheed F-104 Starfighter (7 of 20)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Dec 93 17:08:15 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The F-104D (Lockheed Model 383-04-06) was the two-seat combat trainer 
version of the F-104C.  It bore the same relationship to the F-104C as 
the F-104B did to the F-104A.  

The D model featured the refinements of the F-104C, and incorporated 
the larger area fin of the B.  The F-104D differed from the B in 
having a canopy with revised framing, with the two individual 
port-opening cockpit canopies separated from each other by a fixed 
transparent area.  Other features were quite similar to those of the 
F-104B.  In order to make room for the second crewman, the nosewheel 
again had to be made to retract rearwards, and the 20-mm rotary cannon 
of the F-104C had to be removed, limiting the air-to-air armament to a 
pair of wingtip-mounted AIM-9B Sidewinders (although provisions were 
later made for the mounting of another pair of Sidewinders underneath 
the fuselage).  The AN/ASG-14T-2 fire control system of the F-104C was 
retained.  The provision for the removable port-mounted in-flight 
refuelling probe of the F-104C was also retained.  

Provisions were made for the possibility of removing the rear seat of 
the F-104B, fitting the 20-mm rotary cannon, and flying the aircraft 
as a single-seater if the need arose.  However, I don't know if this 
was ever done in practice.  

The F-104D was the last version of the Starfighter to built for the 
USAF.  21 F-104Ds were delivered between November 1958 and August 
1959.  They all went to the four squadrons of the 479th Tactical 
Fighter Wing that had already been equipped with F-104Cs.  

However, the provision for two underwing and two wingtip drop tanks 
was retained, boosting total fuel capacity by 730 US gallons.  The 
armament was limited to a pair of wingtip-mounted AIM-9B Sidewinders, 
although the AN/ASG-14T-2 fire control system was retained.  

The performance of the F-104D was almost identical to that of the 
F-104C, but the reduced internal fuel capacity reduced its effective 
range considerably.  

Along with the F-104C, ADC F-104Ds were transferred to the Puerto Rico 
Air National Guard in 1967.  The ANG operated these F-104C and D 
Starfighters until July 1975, when they were replaced by LTV A-7Ds.  

Serials of F-104D: 

57-1314/1320 	Lockheed F-104D-5-LO Starfighter 
57-1321/1328 	Lockheed F-104D-10-LO Starfighter 
57-1329/1334 	Lockheed F-104D-15-LO Starfighter 

Sources:

    The World's Great Interceptor Aircraft, Gallery Books, 1989.

    Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, Steve Pace, Motorbooks International, 
    1992.

    Lockheed Aircraft Since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute
    Press, 1987.

    The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

    The World's Fighting Planes, William Green, Doubleday 1968.

    American Combat Planes, Ray Wagner, Third Enlarged Edition, Doubleday,
    1982.

    Lancer, Air Enthusiast, September 1971.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033