Subject: Number 105 in the Series--Republic F-105 Thunderchief

From: [email-masked]
Date: 7 Feb 94 17:15:39 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The F-105C was to have been a two-seat version of the single-seat 
F-105B.  The F-105C was intended to be used for advanced training, and 
the student and instructor were seated in tandem ejector seats 
underneath a very large single canopy.  In April of 1956, Republic 
received authorization to build five F-105Cs.  However, in October of 
1957, the F-105C project was cancelled before any examples could be
built or flown.  However, the F-105C had reached the mockup stage at
the time of the cancellation.  

Sources:

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and
  David Donald, Temple Press Aerospace, 1990.

  Post-World War II Fighters, 1945-1973, Marcelle Size Knaack,
  Office of Air Force History, 1986. 

  The Thunder Factory, Joshua Stoff, Motorbooks, 1990.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033