Subject: McDonnell F3 Demon (3 of 4)

From: [email-masked] (joseph.f.baugher)
Date: 15 Apr 94 02:28:01 GMT

The failure of the F3H-1N would ordinarily have been fatal for the 
Demon project.  However, shortly after the first prototype had flown, 
McDonnell management had already become alarmed at the deficiencies of 
the Westinghouse J40, and had the foresight to consider alternative 
powerplants just in case the J40's problems proved to be incurable.  

Back in November of 1952, even before the first production F3H-1N had 
flown, McDonnell had asked the Navy for permission to consider 
adapting the Demon to a different engine.  The Navy was initially 
hesitant to approve this change, since they had committed themselves 
to using the J40 in most of the Navy's advanced combat aircraft 
projects of the period.  However, the Bureau of Aeronautics eventually 
relented and authorized McDonnell to begin studying the feasibility of 
using the more-powerful Allison J71 in the Demon.  The J71-powered 
Demon was designated F3H-2N.  

A mockup of the F3H-2N was inspected in August of 1953.  In November 
of 1953, the F3H-1N contract was amended to call for the completion of 
the 32nd and 34th F3H-1N aircraft (BuNos 133520 and 133522) as 
J71-powered prototypes.  This idea met with Navy approval, and the 
contract was amended so that the 61th and subsequent production Demons 
would be powered by the J71.  

In order to accommodate the increased weight due to the adaptation of 
the Demon day fighter into an all-weather general-purpose fighter, the 
F3H-2N was to be fitted with larger wings, with an area increased from 
442 to 519 square feet.  This was done by extending the chord at the 
wing root by 40 inches and by moving the trailing edge aft.  

The first F3H-2N prototype (BuNo 133520) flew on April 23, 1955.  The 
first production F3H-2N flew in June of 1955.  A total of 140 
production aircraft which had been ordered as F3H-1Ns were delivered 
as F3H-2Ns with J71-A-2 engines.  The J71-A-2 was rated at 10,000 
lb.st. dry and 14,400 lb.s.t. with afterburning.  In service, these 
engines were replaced by similarly rated A-2A or A-2B versions.  

The F3H-2N carried an AN/APG-51 airborne intercept radar set.  The 
armament consisted of four 20-mm cannon mounted below and behind the 
air intakes.  Two hardpoints were provided underneath each wing.  In 
addition, two 262-gallon drop tanks could be carried on mounts 
underneath the fuselage.  Later, many F3H-2Ns were retrofitted to 
carry four AAM-N-7 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles.  In later years, 
the upper two cannon were often omitted when external stores or 
missiles were carried, the blast tubes being faired over.  

The F3H-2M (M for "Missile") was a version of the F3H-2N that was 
equipped to carry and launch the AAM-N-2 Sparrow I semi-active radar 
homing missile.  The F3H-2M was produced in parallel with the F3H-2N, 
but was modified to carry the AN/APG-51B radar set that was used to 
guide the Sparrow missiles.  Four Sparrow missiles could be carried 
underneath the wings.  The first F3H-2M flew on August 23, 1955.  The 
F3H-2M was produced in parallel with the F3H-2N, 80 examples of the 
F3H-2M being built.  

The F3H-2P was a proposed reconnaissance variant of the J71-powered 
Demon, with the radar and the armament being replaced by camera 
installations.  The F3H-2P had been originally been proposed as the 
replacement for the abortive J40-powered F3H-1P project, but the 
F3H-2P project was itself cancelled before anything could be built.  

The F3H-2N and -2M were all built under contracts initially intended 
to cover the abortive F3H-1N.  Following the completion of these 
contracts, a new Demon version was ordered in 1956-57 under a new set 
of contracts.  This version was designated F3H-2 (with no suffix).  
The F3H-2 could carry the more capable AAM-N-6 (AIM-7C after September 
1962) Sparrow III and the AAM-N-7 (AIM-9B) Sidewinder IA air-to-air 
missiles.  The F3H-2 was optimized as a strike fighter and could carry 
up to 6000 pounds of ordnance (bombs, rockets, or "special stores") 
on two fuselage and six wing stations.  The F3H-2 also differed from 
the previous versions in having a slightly shorter beaver tail cone.  
The last of 239 F3H-2s was delivered on April 8, 1960, bringing the 
Demon production program to a close.  Total Demon production was 519 
aircraft.  

The J71-powered Demon entered Navy service during the first quarter of 
1956.  In February of that year, an F3H-2M was delivered to the Naval 
Missile Center at Point Mugu in California.  In March, F3H-2Ns were 
delivered to VC-3, a development and training squadron based at NAS 
Moffett Field in California, and to VF-14, an operational squadron 
based at NAS Cecil Field in Florida.  

F3H-2Ns first went to sea with VF-14 aboard the USS *Forrestal* 
(CVA-59) when it deployed to the Mediterranean from January to July of 
1957.  Demons ultimately served with 22 Navy squadrons as follows: 

Atlantic Fleet: 

VF-13, VF-14, VF-31, VF-41, VF-61, VF-82, VF-131, VF-161 

Pacific Fleet: 

VF-21, VF-24, VF-53, VF-54, VF-64, VF-92, VF-112, VF-114, VF-122, 
VF-124, VF-141, VF-151, VF-193, VF-213 

In addition, Demons also served with two replacement training 
squadrons (VF-101 and VF-121), with two evaluation squadrons (VX-3 and 
VX-4), and with one composite squadron (VC-3).  

The F3H-2N could carry drop tanks on two hardpoints underneath the 
fuselage.  However, aerodynamic drag was excessively high because the 
two tanks were so close together.  Consequently, the pair of drop 
tanks were rarely carried, or else, only one was carried.  Beginning 
in 1955, a removable refuelling probe was attached to the starboard 
side of the fuselage above the intake.  It could be extended upward 
and outward during air refuelling.  

One F3H-2N (BuNo 133573) was modified in 1957 as a flying test bed for 
the AN/APQ-50 radar set intended for the F4H-1 Phantom II.  

On September 18, 1962, the US Department of Defense combined all Air 
Force and Navy aircraft designations into the existing Air Force 
system.  A new F-for-fighter series was begun, and Navy and Marine 
Corps fighters were redesignated to fit in with the new system.  The 
F3H-2N was redesignated F-3C, the F3H-2M became MF-3B, and the F3H-2 
became F-3B.  The designation F-3A was never assigned, probably being 
a reflection of the unfortunate F3H-1N which never entered service.  

The J71-powered Demon proved to be fairly popular with its crews.  
They liked its large wings with power-operated slats, and they 
especially liked its docile handling at high altitudes as well as its 
good handling during carrier landings.  However, the Demon had rather 
short legs and had a relatively low endurance, even when carrying no 
external stores.  Consequently, the F3H-2 Demon was not often used in 
its intended general-purpose role.  In addition, the Demon was still 
somewhat underpowered even with the J71 engine, and the two upper 
cannon were often omitted to save weight, especially when missiles or 
external stores were carried.  

Because of its long gestation period, the J71-powered Demon entered 
service with the Navy relatively late in the game, and its service 
career was rather short.  After only a few years, Demons were 
replaced in service by Vought F-8 Crusaders and McDonnell F-4 
Phantoms.  VF-161 was the last Navy squadron to use the Demon.  It 
finally traded in its F-3Bs for F-4Bs in September of 1964.  Most 
Demons went into storage or were scrapped, although a few examples 
remained in various test roles for several years thereafter.  

Serials of the F3H-2N, F3H-2M, and F3H-2:

133520			McDonnell F3H-2N Demon
133522			McDonnell F3H-2N Demon
133549/133568		McDonnell F3H-2N Demon
133569			McDonnell F3H-2M Demon
133570/133622		McDonnell F3H-2N Demon
133623/133638		McDonnell F3H-2M Demon
136966/136999		McDonnell F3H-2N Demon  
137000/137032		McDonnell F3H-2N Demon
137033/137095		McDonnell F3H-2N Demon
137132/137155		McDonnell F3H-2P Demon - contract cancelled
143403/143492		McDonnell F3H-2 Demon - originally ordered as F3H-3
145202/145306		McDonnell F3H-2 Demon
146328/146339		McDonnell F3H-2 Demon  
146709/146740		McDonnell F3H-2 Demon

Specification of F3H-2 Demon: 

One Allison J71-A-2 engine, rated at 10,000 lb.s.t. dry and 14,400 
lb.s.t. with afterburning.  Maximum speed 716 mph at sea level, 643 
mph at 35,000 feet.  Initial climb rate: 14,350 feet per minute.  
Service ceiling: 42,650 feet.  Normal range: 1180 miles, maximum range 
1370 miles.  Weights: 21,287 pounds empty, 31,145 pounds loaded, 
39,000 pounds maximum takeoff.  Dimensions: wingspan 35 feet 4 inches, 
length 58 feet 11 1/2 inches, height 14 feet 6.6 inches, wing area 519 
square feet.  Armed with four 20-mm cannon.  A total of 6000 pounds of 
external ordinance could be carried on four under-wing stations and two 
under-fuselage stations.  

Sources:

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers,
  Orion, 1987.

  The World Guide to Combat Planes, William Green, Macdonald, 1966. 

  McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Since 1920, Rene J. Francillon,
  Naval Institute Press, 1990.

Joe Baugher			**************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories		*  "You see, something's going to    *
263 Shuman Boulevard		*   happen.  Something wonderful!"   *
P. O. Box 3050			**************************************
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7050		
(708) 713 4548				
uscbu!jfb                   Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!	
[email-masked]