Subject: New Fighter Series--McDonnell F-4 Phantom (17 of 49)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Jun 94 16:12:56 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The F-4F (Model 98NQ) was a version of the USAF F-4E built explicitly 
for the West German Luftwaffe.  After having considered the Dassault 
Mirage F.1, the Lockheed CL-1200 Lancer, and even a single-seat 
fighter version of the Phantom under the designation F-4E(F), the 
Luftwaffe opted for 175 two-seat F-4Fs.  

Back in 1960, McDonnell had entered a single-seat version of the 
Phantom in the IFX fighter contest.  The US government promised that 
the winning design would be exported in substantial numbers to 
America's overseas allies.  This contest was won by the Northrop F-5E, 
and the concept of a single-seat Phantom was quietly abandoned.  It 
was briefly revived in 1971 when the West German government ordered 
such an aircraft under the designation F-4E(F).  The F-4E(F) was to 
dispense with Sparrow capability and was to have a simplified 
electronics suite.  However, before the F-4E(F) could enter 
production, the West German government changed its mind and decided 
instead to purchase a more straightforward two-seat cost-reduced 
adaptation of the F-4E.  The designation F-4F was assigned to the 
project.  

175 examples of the F-4F were ordered by the West German government.  
The F-4F emerged as a lighter and simpler F-4E which was significantly 
cheaper and incorporated major components that were manufactured in 
Germany.  The number 7 fuselage fuel tank was removed and all Sparrow 
equipment was eliminated.  The AN/APQ-120 radar was simplified, with 
no beacon search or constant wave illuminator being provided for 
Sparrow or Falcon missile launches.  Although no inflight refuelling 
receptacle was initially fitted, the internal plumbing needed for 
midair refuelling was installed at the factory.  An unslotted 
tailplane was used as an economy and weight-saving measure.  The F-4F 
as originally designed lacked the capability of carrying nuclear 
weapons and it could not carry or launch certain air-to-ground 
missiles such as the Maverick, Shrike, or Walleye.  The design that 
finally emerged was 3300 pounds lighter than the stock F-4E.  

The first F-4F took off on its maiden flight on May 18, 1973.  The 175 
F-4Fs were assigned the Luftwaffe serials 3701/3875 (and for contract 
management purposes were also given the USAF serials 72-1111/1285).  
Major components were manufactured in Germany by MBB and by 
VFW-Fokker.  The J79-MTU-17A engines were built under license from 
General Electric by Motoren-und-Turbinenen-Union Munchen GmBH.  

Deliveries of the F-4F to the Luftwaffe began on September 5, 1973, 
and ended with the delivery of 3875 in April of 1976.  They equipped 
two interceptor wings (JG-71 'Richthofen' and JG-74 'Molders') and two 
ground attack wings (JBG-35 and JBG-36), all of which had previously 
operated the F-104G Starfighter.  

Twelve F-4Fs were assigned the unofficial designation of TF-4F while 
they were being used to train Luftwaffe crews in the United States.  
These aircraft were later flown to Germany and restored to full F-4F 
operational configuration.  

Between November 1980 and late 1983, Luftwaffe F-4Fs were retrofitted 
with inflight refuelling receptacles and were upgraded with the 
capability of firing the Sparrow missile as well as the ability to 
handle the AGM-65 Maverick and the new AIM-9L Sidewinder.  They were 
provided with a digital weapons computer and improved electronic 
countermeasures equipment, cockpit displays, and all-weather systems.  

A further upgrade resulted in the F-4F ICE (Improved Combat 
Efficiency), which will be described in the next article.  

Serials of the F-4F:

72-1111/1119 	McDonnell F-4F-52-MC Phantom (for Luftwaffe, 3701-3709) 
72-1120/1134 	McDonnell F-4F-53-MC Phantom (for Luftwaffe, 3710-3724) 
72-1135/1158 	McDonnell F-4F-54-MC Phantom (for Luftwaffe, 3725-3748) 
72-1159/1182 	McDonnell F-4F-55-MC Phantom (for Luftwaffe, 3749-3772) 
72-1183/1206 	McDonnell F-4F-56-MC Phantom (for Luftwaffe, 3773-3796) 
72-1207/1230 	McDonnell F-4F-57-MC Phantom (for Luftwaffe, 3797-3820) 
72-1231/1254 	McDonnell F-4F-58-MC Phantom (for Luftwaffe, 3821-3844) 
72-1255/1285 	McDonnell F-4F-59-MC Phantom (for Luftwaffe, 3845-3875) 

Sources:

  McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Since 1920: Volume II, Rene J.
  Francillon, Naval Institute Press, 1990.

  McDonnell F-4 Phantom: Spirit in the Skies.  Airtime Publishing, 1992.

  Modern Air Combat, Bill Gunston and Mike Spick, Crescent, 1983.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

  The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft Armament, Bill Gunston,
  Orion, 1988. 

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
263 Shuman Boulevard 		Naperville, Illinois 60566-7050