Subject: New Fighter Series--McDonnell F-4 Phantom (23 of 49)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 13 Jun 94 16:58:43 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The designation F-4L was given to a number of advanced versions of the 
Phantom that were proposed to the Navy in 1963-64.  However, none were 
ordered into production.  

The best-known of these configurations was known as Model 98FOA by the 
company, and called for the aircraft to be powered by Rolls Royce 
RB.168-25R Spey turbofans and to be armed with either six Sparrow III 
missiles or two Phoenix long-range missiles.  The increased power made 
available by the Spey would make the Phantom capable of being operated 
from smaller aircraft carriers which had previously used the Vought 
F-8 Crusader for defense.  However, any advantages offered by the more 
powerful engine of the F-4L were deemed to be outweighed by the 
additional cost and by considerations of commonality.  The F-4L 
project was abandoned before anything could be built.  

Sources:

  McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Since 1920: Volume II, Rene J.
  Francillon, Naval Institute Press, 1990.

  McDonnell F-4 Phantom: Spirit in the Skies.  Airtime Publishing, 1992.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

Joe Baugher				AT&T Bell Laboratories
1000 E. Warrenville Road		Naperville, Illinois 60566-7013