Subject: New Fighter Series--Northrop F-5 (11 of 12)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Aug 94 16:39:38 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The following is an accounting of the service of the F-5E/F Tiger II 
with the air forces that have received this aircraft.  This listing 
is, I am sure, incomplete, and I would appreciate hearing from anyone 
who has more information.  

USAF:  

On April 4, 1973, the first Tiger II reached the 425th Tactical 
Figthter Training Squadron at Chandler AFB in Arizona.  This squadron 
was assigned the task of training for aircrews of nations that had 
acquired the F-5E under the Mutual Assistance Pact (MAP).  Although 
the F-5E/Fs carried USAF serial numbers for administrative purposes, 
the planes were not USAF property and were not considered as a part of 
the USAF's front-line strength.  

Although the USAF never did adopt the F-5E as a front-line combat 
aircraft, it did adopt the F-5E as a specialized aircraft for 
dissimilar air combat training (DACT).  Since the F-5E had 
approximately the size and performance characteristics of a MiG-21, it 
was used to simulate this Warsaw Pact aircraft in realistic air combat 
training.  Some 70 F-5Es were diverted from MAP contracts and turned 
over to the 64th and 65th Fighter Weapons Squadrons of the 57th TFW at 
Nellis AFB in Nevada, to the 527th Agressor Squadron of the 10th TRW 
in the UK and to the 26th Agressor Squadron, 3rd TFW in the 
Philippines.  They were painted in a variety of colorful camouflage 
schemes designed to mimic those in use by Warsaw Pact aircraft.  

US NAVY:  

The US Navy Fighter Weapons School (the so-called "Top Gun" school) at 
NAS Miramar acquired a total of ten F-5Es and three F-5Fs for 
dissimilar air combat training, equipping the FWS and VF-126 at NAS 
Miramar, plus VF-43 at NAS Oceana.  All three units later disposed of 
their Tiger IIs in favor of the General Dynamics F-16N.  These Tiger 
IIs were passed on to VF-95 at NAS Key West and VFA-127 at NAS Fallon.  
Some ex-USAF aggressor F-5Es have been turned over to these Navy 
outfits, and some ex-USAF machines were used to form VMFT-401 at Yuma 
in late 1989, the first USMC F-5 aggressor unit.  

TAIWAN:  

Currently, the largest operator of the F-5 is the Republic of China 
Air Force.  It received over 400 F-5s over the years, including over 
300 Tiger IIs built under license by the Aero Industry Development 
Center (AIDC) at Shuinan.  Between 1973 and 1986, two hundred and 
forty-two F-5Es were built by AIDC, along with 66 two-seat F-5Fs.  
Many Taiwanese-built F-5Es have an F-20-style flattened nose, enlarged 
LERXes, and some from the last two batches are compatible with the 
AGM-65 Maverick.  

The F-5Es replaced both the F-100 Super Sabre and the earlier F-5A/B 
in ROC AF service.  The Tiger IIs are used in both the air-to-air and 
air-to-ground roles.  F-5Es serve with the 1st 4th, 5th, 7th, and 8th 
Wings, which are based at Tainan, Chiayi, Taoyuan, and Hualien.  
However, substantial numbers of the earlier F-5A/B remain in service 
at Taitung.  

Some F-5Es have been given to ROC AF "Aggressor" units which simulate 
enemy tactics to provide realistic air-combat training.  No.  42 
Squadron at Taitung air base is a dedicated Agressor unit formed in 
1988.  The inclusion of large numbers of defectors from the mainland 
in the Taiwanese armed forces enables the Agressor training program to 
be especially accurate in simulating the tactics of their most likely 
opponent.  

SWITZERLAND:  

The F-5E was selected as replacement for the Hawker Hunter in the air 
defense role with the Flugwaffe, freeing the Hunter to replace the 
deHavilland Venom in the ground attack role.  66 F-5Es and six F-5F 
two-seaters were ordered by Switzerland under the 1976 "Peace Alps" 
program.  53 of the F-5Es were to be assembled by FFA in Switzerland 
as part of an offset agreement.  32 more F-5Es and 6 more F-5Fs were 
ordered in 1981, and the last were delivered in 1985.  A total of 91 
airframes were delivered by FFA to supplement the 19 US-built machines 
that were airlifted to Switzerland under the F-5E support program.  

The Swiss are reluctant to release any details about their order of 
battle.  However, it is known that the F-5E serves with Fliegerstaffel 
1, 11, and 18 based at Dubendorf and at Payeme.  However, if war were 
to break out, the Flugwaffe F-5Es would be deployed to other bases.  

In 1985, it was announced that the Flugwaffe would get supplies of the 
Northrop AN/ALQ-171(V) conformally-mounted electronic countermeasures 
system for its F-5s, plus a new Emerson APG-69 look-down radar.  

SAUDI ARABIA:  

One of the primary users of the F-5A is the air force of Saudi Arabia.  
An agreement made with Saudi Arabia in 1972 led to a series of orders 
for the F-5E, RF-5E, F-5F, and F-5B.  The Saudis have financed some 
developments of the F-5 that are tailored to their own requirements.  

The first F-5Es were delivered to Saudi Arabia in 1974, but further 
deliveries were delayed by the brief oil embargo that was imposed by 
Arab countries on the USA as retaliation for American support of 
Israel during the Yom Kippur War.  However, they were shortly resumed, 
and in 1975 Saudi Arabia ordered 40 more F-5Es and Fs.  Some of these 
have the capability of carrying and launching the Hughes AGM-65A 
Maverick air-to-surface missile.  Saudi F-5E/Fs are reportedly capable 
of carrying the French-built Matra R.550 Magic air to air missile.  

Royal Saudi Air Force F-5Es were fitted with the Litton LN-33 inertial 
navigation system and are fitted with inflight refuelling capability 
and the ability to deliver laser-guided bombs.  The two- seaters were 
provideed with canopy-mounted Northro AVQ-27 manual laser target 
designators.  

70 F-5Es and 24 F-5Fs are known to ahve been delivered under the 
"Peace Hawk" program, which is a joint US/Saudi program involving 
flying new aircraft to the customer via various staging points rather 
than transporting them directly.  

RSAF Tiger IIs equip No.  7 Squadron at Dharhan, No.  e at Taif, and 
No.  10 at Khamis Mushayt.  The F-5Bs equip No 15 Squadron which is 
also based at Dharan.  

The Saudis have also acquired at least ten RF-5E Tigereyes, which 
replaced earlier F-5Es that were equipped with the early F-5A-type 
camera nose.  

JORDAN:  

A total of 61 F-5Es and 12 F-5Fs were supplied to the Royal Jordanian 
Air Force.  Currently, the F-5E Tiger II is numerically the most 
important type in the Royal Jordanian Air force and is used in both 
air defense and air-to-ground roles.  

The F-5E/F serves with Nos 9 and 17 Squadrons, both based at the 
Prince Hassan base.  No.  11 Squadron at Azraq, which had previously 
operated the F-5E, has converted to the Mirage F1.  

Jordan had received 30 F-5As and 6 F-5Bs in the mid-1960s, but fifteen 
of these were later transferred to Greece, with the remainder serving 
with No.  6 Squadron at Mafraq.  

SOUTH KOREA:  

The Republic of Korea Air Force is a major operator of the F-5, and 
flies all versions of the F-5 with the exception of the RF-5E.  

The Hanjin Corporation, utilizing some facilities owned Korean Air 
Lines, assembled the last 68 of the 233 F-5E/Fs delivered to the ROKAF 
between 1974 and 1986.  These F-5E/Fs replaced the previous force of 
F-5A/Bs, although some of these are retained for training.  The first 
flight of an Hanjin F-5E powered by J85 engines assembled by Samsung 
Precision took place on September 9, 1982.  

The South Korean government is very tight about security, and very 
little reliable information is available about serial numbers and unit 
allocations.  However, it is believed that the F-5E equips the 115th, 
122nd, and 123rd TFS of the 1st Fighter Wing based at Kwangju and the 
102nd ,103rd, and 111th TFS of the 10th Fighter Wing based at Suwon.  
The Operational Conversion Unit for the 1st Fighter Wing retains some 
F-5A/Bs for training.  

INDONESIA:  

12 F-5Es and four F-5Fs were acquired in 1980 by the Angkatan Udara 
Republik Indonesia (AURI).  The Tiger II equips No.  14 Squadron based 
at Madiun-Iswahyudi.  

MALAYSIA:  

The Tentara Udara Diraja Malaysia (Royal Malaysian Air Force) operates 
a single squadron (No.  12) of F-5E fighters, and another squadron 
(No.  11) of RF-5Es and F-5F two-seaters.  Both squadrons operate in 
the air defense role from the former Australian base at Butterworth.  
The F-5Fs replaced two F-5Bs, which were passed on to the Royal Thai 
Air Force.  

SINGAPORE:  

The Republic of Singapore Air Force received 39 F-5Es and 10 F-5Fs.  
In fact, Singapore was the recepient of the last F-5E built, which 
bore the USAF serial number 86-0409 and the SAF serial 874.  These 
equip No.  144 Squadron based at Paya Lebar and No.  149 Squadron 
based at Tengah.  

Singapore Tiger IIs are scheduled for a major upgrade, including radar 
replacement, and six of them are being converted for reconnaissance 
with FLIR and IRLS.  These have been supplemented in Singapore by the 
F-16, the first examples of which arrived in 1989.  

THAILAND:  

Two batches each of 17 F-5Es and 3 F-5Fs were delivered to the Royal 
Thai Air Force in 1977 and 1981 respectively.  Ten more F-5Es were 
acquired second hand from the USAF when the PACAF agressor squadron at 
Clark AFB was disbanded in 1988.  These equip the No.  102 Squadron of 
No.  1 Wing based at Nakhom Ratchasima (formerly Korat) and 403 
Squadron of No 4 Wing based at Takhil.  103 Squadron at Nakhom 
Ratchasima retains the earlier F-5A/B.  

The arrival of the F-16 will see the Tiger II largely relegated to 
ground attack duties in the Royal Thai Air Force.  The Tiger II is 
scheduled to be replaced by the AMX light strike fighter in the ground 
attack role later in the 1990s.  

SOUTH VIETNAM:  

The Republic of Vietnam received 18 F-5Es in 1972, all aircraft 
diverted from deliveries scheduled for Iran.  Other F-5Es followed 
later.  However, it seems that these F-5Es were relatively little used 
by the South Vietnamese Air Force, since their more advanced 
electronics suite made them more difficult to maintain.  Most air 
action still took place with the earlier F-5A/B model.  

During the final North Vietnamese assault on Saigon in 1975, many 
SVNAF Tiger IIs and earlier F-5A/Bs were flown to refuge in Thailand.  
A total of 26 F-5s arrived, 22 Es and four As made it to Thailand.  
They were returned to the USA and stored at MCClellan AFB, pending 
sale to other customers.  However, most remained in the USA to form 
the nucleus of agressor training programs, 

87 F-5As and 27 F-5Es were left behind when the South Vietnamese 
government fled in 1975.  These were pressed into service with the 
Vietnam People's Air Force.  There are reports that these planes were 
used by Vietnam during its invasion of neighboring Kampuchea in 1978.  
In 1979, nine Tigers were reported to be operating from bases near 
Hanoi as part of a composite squadron also equipped with the MiG-21.  
The Hanoi unit is believed to have been joined by three other 
F-5/MiG-21 regiments.  The F-5E/Fs were reportedly more popular with 
their Vietnamese crews than were the Russian-built aircraft that 
provided the primary strength of the Vietnamese air force, which is a 
a rather unique testimonial.  They were particularly appreciative of 
the comfortable cockpits and the ease of handling of the F-5.  

There were several attempts by the Vietnamese government to sell its 
captured F-5s to other customers.  By now, it seems likely that no 
F-5Es remain flying in Vietnam, the lack of spares probably leading to 
their grounding, despite cannibalization.  

TUNISIA:  

Tunisia acquired eight F-5Es and four F-5Fs.  These have since been 
supplemented by seven ex-USAF F-5Es.  

SUDAN:  

In order to deter agressive moves by its neighbor Libya, the Sudan Air 
Force received two F-5Fs in 1982, with ten F-5Es following in 1984.  

MOROCCO:  

Sixteen F-05Es and four F-5Fs were delivered to Morocco in 1981.  Some 
of these have seen military action against Polisario guerillas.  
Recently, a number of ex-Alconbury-based USAF F-5Es were delivered to 
Moroccco.  

KENYA:  

The Kenya Air Force ordered ten F-5Es and two F-5Fs in 1976.  The F-5s 
operate from the base at Laikipia formerly known as Nanyuki.  They 
give Kenya's air force an interceptor capability for the first time in 
its history.  

BRAZIL:  

The Brazilian government had always shown interest in the F-5, 
although arms embargoes prevented any deal from being struck.  
However, in 1974, these restrictions were relaxed and Brazil ordered 
36 F-5Es and six F-5Bs for the Forca Aerea Brasiliera (FAB) in October 
of 1974.  For some reason, the two-seaters acquired by Brazil were the 
B version rather than the F version.  

The Forca Aerea Brasileira (FAB) acquired 36 F-5Es, which were used to 
equip 1 and 2 Esquadrao of the 1st Fighter Group at Santa Cruz.  The 
FAB Tiger IIs have midair refuelling probes which enable them to be 
refuelled by Boeing KC-135 and Lockheed KC-130 tankers.  The FAB F-5Es 
have an additional dorsal fin fillet to improved directional stability 
and carry a VHF blade antenna just aft of the cockpit.  

Brazil has acquired an additional 24 Es and four Fs from ex-USAF 
stocks.  

CHILE:  

Chile took advantage of the lifting of the US arms embargo, and 
ordered a batch of F-5Es and Fs shortly before the Marxist government 
of President Salvador Allende was deposed.  The F-5E was favored over 
the MiG-21 which was at that time being pressed on Chile by the Soviet 
Union.  

The Fuerza Aerea de Chile, received its first Tiger II in 1976, 
ultimately receiving 15 F-5Es and three F-5Fs.  These were issued to 
Grupo No.  7, based at Antofagasta-Cerro Moreno.  These aircraft (like 
many export Tiger IIs) have a dorsal fin fillet for enhanced 
maneuverability, plus a prominent VHF blade antenna on the spine.  

MEXICO:  

The Fuerza Aerea Mexicana ordered ten F-5Es and two F-5Fs in 1981.  
These equip 401 Escuadron based at Santa Lucia.  

BAHRAIN:  

The last new customer for the F-5E/F was the Bahrain Amiri Air Force, 
which took delivery of eight F-5Es and four F-5Fs in 1988.  

IRAN 

As part of the ambitious plan by the Shah of Iran to make his nation 
the dominant military power in the Persian Gulf, the government of 
Iran ordered massive amounts of arms from the West, particularly the 
United States.  A total of 166 F-5Es and Fs were supplied to Iran, 
enough to equip eight squadrons.  The first examples were delivered in 
August of 1976, when 28 F-5Fs were received in Iran for conversion 
training.  By this time, Iran had disposed of virtually all of its 
earlier F-5A/Bs, mainly to Greece, Vietnam, and Jordan.  

When the Shah was forced to flee Iran in 1979, the Islamic 
fundamentalist regime that took over the country assumed a rigidly 
anti-Western stance and an arms embargo was imposed against Iran.  
This embargo caused a severe spare parts and maintenance problem for 
Iran's fleet of F-5s and other US-supplied aircraft, with many 
aircraft becoming unserviceable and still others being cannibalized to 
keep the remainder flying.  Even the best-equipped units found it 
impossible to operate without Western contractor support and often had 
personnel that were inadequately trained and poorly motivated.  The 
political upheavals and purges caused by the fundamentalist revolution 
made the situation much worse, with many pilots and maintenance 
personnel following the Shaw into exile.  As a result, by 1980 the 
Islamic Republic Iranian Air Force (IRIAF) was only a shadow of its 
former self.  

The Iran-Iraq war began on September 22, 1980 with an Iraqi air attack 
on six Iranian air bases and four Iranian army bases.  It was followed 
by an Iraqi land attack at four points along a 700-kilometer front.  
Before the war ended in 1988, somewhere between 500,000 and a million 
people were dead, between 1 and 2 million people were injured, and 
there were two to three million refugees.  Although little-covered in 
the Western media, the war was a human tragedy on a massive scale.  

Air power did not play a dominant role in the Iran-Iraq war, because 
neither side was able to use its combat aircraft very effectively.  
Fighter-vs-fighter combat was rather rare throughout the entire course 
of the Iran-Iraq war.  During the first phase of the war, Iranian 
aircraft had the fuel and the endurance to win most of the few aerial 
encounters that did occur, either by killing with their first shot of 
an AIM-9 or else by forcing Iraqi fighters to withdraw.  However, at 
this stage in the war the infrared homing missiles used by the 
fighters of both sides were generally ineffective in anything other 
than tail-chase firings at medium to high altitudes.  

Initially, Iranian pilots had the edge in training and experience, but 
as the war dragged on, this edge was gradually lost because of the 
repeated purges within the ranks of the Iranian military which removed 
experienced officers and pilots who were suspected of disloyalty to 
the Islamic fundamentalist regime or those with close ties or 
sympathies with the West.  The effects of the arms embargo and the 
shortage of spare parts caused the number of F-5s which were available 
for combat steadily to decrease, and by the beginning of 1983, only 40 
to 65 F-5s could be put into the air at any given time.  As Iranian 
capabilities declined, Iraqi capabilities gradually improved.  After 
1982, Iraq managed to improve its training and was able to acquire 
newer and better equipment from French manufacturers, especially the 
Dassault Breguet Super Etendard and the Mirage F-1.  The Mirage F-1 
was capable of firing the Matra R-550 Magic air-to-air missile, which 
had a 140-degree attack hemisphere, a head-on attack capability, 
high-g launch and maneuver capability, and a 0.23 to 10-km range.  The 
Magic could also be launched from the MiG-21, and proved to be far 
superior than the standard Soviet-supplied infrared homer, the Atoll.  
Mirage F-1s were reported to have shot down several Iranian aircraft 
with Magic missiles and as having scored kills even at low altitudes.  
After 1982, Iraq generally had the edge in most air-to-air encounters 
that took place, with Iran losing most of the few air-to-air 
encounters that took place after 1983 unless it used carefully-planned 
ambushes against Iraqi planes that were flying predictable routes.  
The Iranians could not generate more than 30-60 sorties per day, 
whereas the number of sorties that Iraq could mount steadily increased 
year after year, reaching a peak as high as 600 in 1986-88.  

The Iranians found it extremely difficult to keep their F-5 fleet 
operational all throughout the Iran-Iraq war.  The lack of spare parts 
caused by the arms embargo plus the general lack of adequate numbers 
of trained maintenance personnel made things even worse.  A defecting 
Iranian colonel claimed that Iran's F-5 force was down to only 10 or 
15 flyable aircraft by the end of 1986.  Iran was only able to keep 
its F-5s flying by scrounging spare parts and replacements from 
whatever source it could.  Iran was able to acquire spare parts from 
Greece and other nations which were F-5 users.  

When the war ended in 1988, the IRIAF probably had only a dozen or 
less F-5s that were still in good enough condition to fly.  It is 
uncertain how many (if any) Iranian F-5s survive in flyable condition 
today.  

Serials of F-5E/F Tiger II:

This list is far from complete, and I would appreciate hearing
from anyone who has any additions or corrections.

71-1417/1421		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				1420 used as prototype RF-5E Tigereye
				1417,1418,1420 to Brazil
72-1386/1406		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				1387 to US Navy
				1388 to Morocco
				1386,1391/1393,1398,1400/1403 to Brazil
					photo of 1398 is in Shaw's book
					(FAB serial number 4864)
73-0846/0888		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				to South Vietnam - survivors to USAF,
				US Navy, South Korea
73-0889			Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to NASA
73-0890			Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to South Vietnam
73-0891			Northrop F-5F Tiger II 
73-0892/0902		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - all to South Vietnam
				except 0893/0895, which went to US Navy
				Survivors to USAF and US Navy
73-0903/0990		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				0903/0932 to Iran
				0933/0990 to Iran
73-1626/1646		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				1626,1627,1629/1634,1641/1646 to Korea
				1628,1636/1640 to Vietnam
				1635 to US Navy
				1636,1640 returned to USAF
74-0958/0997		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Taiwan as 5101/1540
74-1362/1575		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				1362/1444 to Iran
				1445/1458 to Malaysia as FM2203/FM2216
				1459/1470 to Jordan ad 902/913
				1471/1479 to South Korea
				1480 and 1481 to US Navy as 159881,159882
				1482,1483 to South Korea
				1485,1494 to South Korea
				1495/1504 to Jordan as 914/923
				1513/1515 to Brazil
				1519 to US Navy
				1520/1527 to Ethiopia as 417/424
				1528/1531,1533,1536,1537,1537/1541,1544
				1545,1547,1554,1556,1558,1563,1564,1568,1570,
				1572 to US Navy
				1532,1535,1559,1566 to Tunisia
				1543,1549,1551,1553,1560,1569 to Morocco
				1574 to Brazil
74-1582/1617		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Brazil as 4820/4855
				picture of 4820 is in Shaw's book
75-0314/0373		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - for Taiwan as 5141/5200
				5187,5153,5183 in Spring 1991 in WApJ
75-0442/0527		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				0442/456 to Chile as J-800/J-814
					picture of J-804 is in Shaw's book
				0457/0461 to Korea
				0462/0490 to Saudi Arabia
				0491/0500 to Jordan as 924/933
				0501/0527 to Korea
75-0562/0617		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				0562/0572 to Saudi Arabia
				0573/0603 to South Korea
				0604/0611 to North Yemen
				0612,0613,0617 to Morocco     
				0616 to Thailand
				0618/0625 to Jordan as 934/941
				0626/0627 to South Korea
75-0681/0731		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
				0681/0708 to Iran
				0709/0711 to Chile as J-815/J-817
				0712/0731 to Saudi Arabia
75-0735/0744		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
				0735/0736 to Jordan
				0737/0742 to South Korea
75-0753/0756		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
				to US Navy as 160964/160966
				0756 cancelled
76-0471/0490		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - for Taiwan as 5201/5220
76-1526/1591		Northrop F-5E Tiger II 
				to Switzerland as J-3001/3066
				photo of J-3009, J-3021, J-3047 in WApJ
76-1592/1597		Northrop F-5F Tiger II 
				to Switzerland as J-3201/3206
76-1611/1615		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
				1611/1613 to Thailand
				1614/1615 to Kenya as 911/912
76-1616/1639		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				to Taiwan as 5221/5244
76-1640/1642		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
				to Taiwan as 5351/5353
76-1643/1663		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Korea
76-1664/1676		Northrop F-5E Tiger II 
				1671 is shown in Shaw's book as belonging
				to Thailand
76-1677/1686		Northrop F-5E Tiger II 
				to Keyna as 901/910
77-0328/0335		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				To Taiwan as 5245/5252 
77-0336/0350		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
				To Taiwan as 5354/5368 
				photo of 0340 (5358) in WApJ
77-0359/0365		Northrop F-5F Tiger II 
				0359/0361 to Singapore as 850/852
					picture of 851 is in Shaw's book
				0362/0365 to Saudi Arabia
77-0366/0379		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				to Singapore as 801/820 (only 14 serials used)
				        picture of 802 is in Shaw's book
77-1767/1777		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
 				1767/1770 to Singapore as 821/824
				1771/1772 to North Yemen
				1773/1774 to Jordan as 1145/1146 
		  		1775/1776 to North Yemen	
				1777 to Jordan as 1147
77-1778/1779		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
				to Jordan as 1751/1752
78-0028/0037		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - for Taiwan as 5253/5262
78-0770/0773		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Thailand
78-0774/0787		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Korea
78-0789/0801		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Jordan as 1148/1157
				799/801 cancelled
78-0802/0803		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Jordan 
78-0804/0805		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - order for Jordan cancelled 
78-0814/0821		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - 
				to Indonesia as TS-0501/TS-0508
78-0822/0825		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - 
				to Indonesia as TS-0513/TS-0516
78-0826/0829		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - 
				to Indonesia as TS-0509/TS-0512
				  0510 is in Shaw's book
78-0865/0875		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Taiwan as 5263/5273
78-0876/0884		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Taiwan as 5369/5377
				80883 (5376) photo in WApJ
78-2435/2436		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Jordan
78-2444/2446		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Malaysia as FM2251/FM2253
78-2447			Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Malaysia as FM2217
79-1681/1691		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				1681/1687 to Thailand
				1688/1691 to Jordan as 1158/1161
79-1692/1693		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
  				to Thailand as 40301/40302 
79-1694/1707		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				1694/1697 to Thailand
				1698/1701 to Jordan as 1162/1165
				1702/1707 to Thailand
79-1708/1709		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
				1708 to Thailand as 40303
				1709 to Malaysia as FM2254
79-1717/1720		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				to Taiwan as 5274/5277
79-1721/1726		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				to Taiwan as 5378/5383
79-1916/1919		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Jordan
79-1920/1941		Northrop F-5E Tiger II 
				1920/1925 to Morocco 
				1926/1931 to Singapore as 830/835
				1932/1941 to Morocco	
					1939 is in Shaw's book
79-1942/1945		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Morocco
80-0296/0298		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
				to Taiwan at 5384/5386
80-0299/0319		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				to Taiwan at 5278/5298
80-0333/0334		Northrop RF-5E Tigereye - to Malaysia as M29-19 and 20
				photo of M29-20 is in Shaw's book
80-3501/3537		Northrop F-5E/F Tiger II - cancelled contract
81-0006/0019		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Taiwan as 
				5299/5312
81-0558/0593		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Korea
81-0594/0613		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Korea
81-0614/0625		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Korea
81-0632/0638		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Mexico as 4001/4007
81-0639/0642		Northrop F-5F Tiger II 
				0639/0640 to Mexico as 4501/4502
				0641/0642 to Kenya as 913/914
81-0823/0857		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				0823/0825 to Mexico as 4008/4010
				0826/0857 to Switzerland as
					J-3067/J-3098
81-0858/0863		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
				0858/0863 to Switzerland as
					J-3207/J-3212
					photo of J-3212 in WApJ
82-0004/0005		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Sudan as 200-201 in 1982
				both planes are pictured in Shaw's book.
82-0089/0091		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - for FMS
82-0187/0189		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Singapore as 853/855
82-0634/0635		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - for Tunisia as Y-92501 and 03
				92501 is in Shaw's book
82-0636			Northrop F-5E Tiger II - for Tunisia as Y-92515
82-0637/0639		Northrop F-5E Tiger II 
				for Tunisia as Y-92505,07,and 09
82-0640/0643		Northrop F-5F Tiger II 
				for Tunisia as Y-92502,04,06,and 08
82-0644/0645		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - for Tunisia as Y-92511 and 13
83-0072/0074		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - 73 and 74 to Brazil as
 				4806,4807
83-0083/0112		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Taiwan as 5313/5342
83-0113/0142		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Taiwan as 5387/5416
84-0183/0184		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Sudan as 206 and 208
84-0194/0203		Northrop RF-5E Tigereye - for Saudi Arabia
				Picture of 0195 is in Shaw's book
				Picture of 0200 is in Shaw's book
84-0456/0457		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
				0456 to US Navy
				0457 to Brazil as 4809 - photo of
				this plane is in Shaw's book
84-0456/0457		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - 0456 to US Navy and
				0457 to Brazil as 4809
84-0490/0491		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Malaysia
				as M29-21 and M29-22
85-0053/0056 		Northrop F-5F Tiger II
				to Bahrain as 641/644
				photo of 643 is in Shaw's book
85-0057/0058 		Northrop F-5E Tiger II
				to Bahrain as 645,683
		                 photo of 683 is in Shaw's book
85-1586/1591 		Northrop F-5E Tiger II 
				1586/1591 to Singapore as 836/841
				1592/1595 to Bahrain as 681,682,686,687
86-0090/0091		Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Singapore as 860,861
86-0388			Northrop F-5F Tiger II - to Singapore as 862
86-0405/0409		Northrop F-5E Tiger II - to Singapore as 870/874
				Picture of 872,873,874 in Shaw's book.
				Last F-5Es built by Northrop

Sources:

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  Northrop F-5/F-20, Jerry Scutts, Ian Allan Ltd, 1986.

  Jane's American Fighting Aircraft of the 20th Centry, Michael J.H.
  Taylor, Mallard Press

  Modern Air Combat, Bill Gunston and Mike Spick, Crescent, 1983.

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

  Post-World War II Fighters: 1945-1973, Marcelle Size Knaac,
  Office of Air Force History, 1986.

  F-5: Warplane for the World, Robbie Shaw, Motorbooks, 1990

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and
  David Donald, Temple Press/Aerospace, 1990

  The World's Great Attack Aircraft, Gallery, 1988.

  e-mail from Ben Marselis.

Joe Baugher			**************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories		*  "Round up the usual suspects."    *
1000 E. Warrenville Road	**************************************
P. O. Box 3013
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7013		
(708) 713 4548				
uscbu!jfb                     Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!	
[email-masked]