Subject: New Fighter Series--Northrop F-5 Freedom Fighter (2 of 11)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Jul 94 00:41:23 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The F-5B was the two-seat version of the F-5A.  It was generally 
similar to the single-seat F-5A but had two seats in tandem for dual 
fighter/trainer duties.  The fuselage is quite similar to that of
the T-38 Talon two-seat trainer, so similar, in fact, that one must
look twice to tell the difference between a F-5B and a T-38.

The two crew members sit in tandem in rocket-poweed ejection seats,
and are separated from each other by a windscreen to protect the
instructor from windblast in the event of an ejection.  The cockpits
have separate manually-operated rearward-hinged jettisonable canopies. 
The instructor's seat in the rear is raised 10 inches higher than that 
of the pupil in front to give an improved forward view.  The length
of the fuselage was the same (46 feet 4 inches) as that of the T-38.
Unlike the T-38A, the F-5B retains the wing leading edge flaps and 
wing root extension of the F-5A, which is perhaps the easiest way to 
tell the difference between a F-5B and a T-38A. 

The F-5B was fully combat-capable and was capable of carrying the same 
external ordnance load as the single seat F-5A.  However, the nose 
cannon armament of the single-seat version was deleted.  The takeoff
weight was 19,700 pounds, considerably greater than the T-38s 
11,700 pounds.

The first F-5B (63-8438) flew on February 24, 1964.  63-8343 went
supersonic in a dive for the first time on February 28.  The first
F-5B was accepted in March, with the aircraft being declared
operational on April 30, 1964, which was four months ahead of
the single-seat F-5A. 

The eighth F-5B (63-8445) was selected as a company demonstrator.
It carried out a sales tour later in 1964, visiting 12 European
and Middle Eastern countries in search of customers.
 
A total of 183 F-5Bs were built by Northrop's Palmdale facility, with 
the last deliveries to the Republic of Korea Air Force in the mid 
1970s.  

Serials of F-5B Freedom Fighter:

63-8438/8451 		Northrop F-5B-5-NO Freedom Fighter 
63-13692 		Northrop F-5B-5-NO Freedom Fighter
64-13377/13388		Northrop F-5B-10-NO Freedom Fighter
65-10582/10595		Northrop F-5B-15-NO
65-13071/13074		Northrop F-5B-15-NO
66-8516/8530		Northrop F-5B Freedom Fighter - cancelled contract
66-9230/9244		Northrop F-5B-20-NO
67-14906/14909 		Northrop F-5B-25-NO Freedom Fighter
67-21272/21284		Northrop F-5B-25-NO Freedom Fighter
67-21285/21294		cancelled contract for Northrop F-5B Freedom Fighter
67-22556/22557		Northrop F-5B-25-NO Freedom Fighter
68-9086/9096		Northrop F-5B-30-NO Freedom Fighter
69-6484/6486		Northrop F-5B Freedom Fighter - contract cancelled
69-7089/7090		Northrop F-5B-35-NO Freedom Fighter  
69-7135/7136		Northrop F-5B-35-NO Freedom Fighter 
70-1408			Northrop F-5B-40-NO Freedom Fighter 
70-1608/1613		Northrop F-5B-40-NO Freedom Fighter 
70-1948			Northrop F-5B-40-NO Freedom Fighter 
71-1033/1034		Northrop F-5B-45-NO Freedom Fighter
72-0436/0449		Northrop F-5B-50-NO Freedom Fighter
72-1337/1356		Northrop F-5B-50-NO Freedom Fighter 
73-1602/1613		Northrop F-5B-50-NO Freedom Fighter
74-0775/0786 		Northrop F-5B-50-NO Freedom Fighter
74-1576/1581		Northrop F-5B-50-NO Freedom Fighter
74-2097/2112		Northrop F-5B-50-NO - cancelled contract
74-2114/2129		Northrop F-5B-50-NO Freedom Fighter 

Specification of Northrop F-5B Freedom Fighter: 

Two General Electric J85-GE-13 turbojets, rated at 2720 lb.st., 4080 
lb.s.t. with afterburning.  Maximum speed: 885 mph (Mach 1.34) at 
36,000 feet.  Maximum cruising speed without afterburning: 640 mph 
(Mach 0.97) at 36,000 feet.  Stalling speed 138 mph with flaps 
extended.  Initial climb rate 30,400 feet per minute.  Service 
ceiling: 52,000 feet.  Takeoff run: 2200 feet with two Sidewinder 
missiles.  Landing run from 50 feet with braking parachute was 3800 
feet.  Range with maximum fuel was 1393 miles.  Combat radius with 
maximum payload 201 miles.  Combat radius with maximum fuel and 2 
530-pound bombs 570 miles.  Two internal fuel tanks composed of 
integral cells with total usable capacity of 583 US gallons.  One 150 
US gallon drop tank could be carried on the fuselage centerline pylon, 
two 150 US gallon droptanks could be carried underneath the underwing 
pylons, and a 50-gallon tank could be carried at each wingtip, 
bringing total fuel capacity to 1133 US gallons.  Dimensions: wingspan 
25 feet 3 inches, length 46 feet 4 inches, height 13 feet 1 inches, 
wing area 170 square feet.  Weights: 8361 pounds empty, 20,677 pounds 
maximum takeoff.  Two AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles could be carried at 
the wingtips.  Five pylons, one under the fuselage centerline and four 
under the wings that can carry up to 6200 pounds of ordinance or fuel 
tanks.  A 2000-pound bomb or a gun pack can be carried from the 
centerline pylon.  Underwing loads can include four air-to-air 
missiles, Bullpup air-to-surface missiles, bombs, up to 20 unguided 
rockets, gun packs, or external fuel tanks.  

Sources:

The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

Jane's American Fighting Aircraft of the 20th Centry, Michael J.H.
Taylor, Mallard Press

The World's Fighting Planes, William Green, Doubleday, 1964.

Modern Air Combat, Bill Gunston and Mike Spick, Crescent, 1983.

United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

Post-World War II Fighters: 1945-1973, Marcelle Size Knaac,
Office of Air Force History, 1986.

F-5: Warplane for the World, Robbie Shaw, Motorbooks, 1990

The World Guide to Combat Planes, William Green, Macdonald, 1966. 

The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft Armament, Bill Gunston,
Orion, 1988. 

Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and
David Donald, Temple Press/Aerospace, 1990

The World's Great Attack Aircraft, Gallery, 1988.

Northrop F-5/F-20, Jerry Scutts, Ian Allan Ltd, 1986.

Joe Baugher				AT&T Bell Laboratories
1000 E. Warrenville Road		Naperville, Illinois 60566-7013