Subject: New Fighter Series--Northrop F-5 Freedom Fighter (6 of 11)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Aug 94 16:19:00 GMT

>From [email-masked]

During the mid-1960s, Spain's Ejercito del Aire (EdA) selected the 
Freedom Fighter to start a modernization program.  Under the terms of 
the agreement with Northrop, Construcciones Aeronauticas S.  A.  
(CASA) would carry out the final assembly of the planes in Spain.  In 
order to distinguish them from US-built machines, CASA-assembled 
single-seat Freedom Fighters were designated SF-5A, the S standing for 
"Spain".  The two-seat version was SF-5B, with the reconnaissance 
version being designated SRF-5A.  They were designated C.9, CE.9, and 
CR.9 respectively in EdA service, the 9 standing for the ninth fighter 
type operated since the EdA became an independent service in July 
1939.  

The order comprised 34 SF-5Bs, and eighteen each of the SF-5A and 
SRF-5A variants.  The first eight machines for the EdA were built and 
assembled by Northrop, but the remainder of the order was supplied in 
component form to CASA for final assembly at Seville and 
Madrid-Getafe.  The first example was rolled out in June 1968 at 
Madrid.  The construction program continued until 1971.  

The first deliveries to the EdA began in June of 1968.  Most of the 
two-seaters went to 202 and 204 Escuadrones.  These squadrons were 
used to form the training wing at Talavera la Real.  In 1976, these 
squadrons were reorganized as 731 and 732 Escuadrones of Ala 
(Interceptor Wing) 73.  More recently, they were reorganized again as 
231 and 232 Escuadrones of Ala 23.  

211 and 212 Escuadrones based at Moron were equipped with all three 
variants.  211 and 212 were grouped under Ala 21.  212 Escuadron 
disbanded shortly thereafter, and its planes were sent to Gando in the 
Canary Islands to be reformed as 464 Escuadron under Ala 46.  
Eventually, 464 disbanded as well, and 212 was reformed alongside 211.  

The F-5s were later redesignated A.9, AE.9 and AR.9 by the EdA.  

By 1982, operational attrition had claimed one A.9, four AE.9s, and 
two AR.9s.  

Sources:

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  Jane's American Fighting Aircraft of the 20th Centry, Michael J.H.
  Taylor, mallard Press

  Northrop F-5/F-20, Jerry Scutts, Ian Allan Ltd, 1986.

  Modern Air Combat, Bill Gunston and Mike Spick, Crescent, 1983.

  United States Military Aircraft Since 1909, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

  Post-World War II Fighters: 1945-1973, Marcelle Size Knaac,
  Office of Air Force History, 1986.

  F-5: Warplane for the World, Robbie Shaw, Motorbooks, 1990

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and
  David Donald, Temple Press/Aerospace, 1990

  The World's Great Attack Aircraft, Gallery, 1988.

Joe Baugher			**************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories		*  "I'm shocked!  Shocked to find    *
1000 E. Warrenville Road	*  that gambling is going on here!"  *
P. O. Box 3013			**************************************
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7013		
(708) 713 4548				
uscbu!jfb                  Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!	
[email-masked]