Subject: Douglas F-6 Skyray (2 of 4)

From: [email-masked] (joseph.f.baugher)
Date: 17 Aug 94 00:21:15 GMT

The F4D-1 was the initial production version of the Skyray.  It had 
been ordered by the Navy in March of 1953, and was to have been 
powered by the Pratt & Whitney J57-P-2 axial-flow turbojet offering 
9700 lb.s.t. dry and 14,800 lb.s.t. with afterburning.  The 
modifications needed to adapt the Skyray to the Pratt & Whitney J57 
turbojet were considerable, and approximately 80 percent of the 
airframe had to be redesigned.  

The first production F4D-1 (BuNo 130740) took off on its maiden flight 
on June 5, 1954.  It exceeded the speed of sound in level flight 
during its first flight.  During flight test, frequent engine stalls 
were encountered at high speeds above 40,000 feet, and it was found 
necessary to modify the geometry of the air intakes and to add an 
airflow baffle plate ahead of each air intake in order to alleviate 
this problem.  Changes also had to be made to the fairing around the 
afterburner exhaust in order to make the airflow smoother.  

It was not until early 1956 that the first production F4D-1s could be 
delivered to Navy service units.  The first Navy unit to receive 
Skyrays was Composite Squadron 3 (VC-3) based at NAS Moffett in 
California, which got its first planes on April 16, 1956.  This outfit 
performed the initial service evaluation of the type.  The first truly 
operational unit was VF-74 at NAS Oceana in Virginia, which came on 
line in mid 1956.  In early 1957, Skyrays were issued to the Marine 
Corps, the first unit to receive the type being VMF-115 based at MCAS 
Cherry Point in North Carolina.  

A total of 419 production F4D-1s were built, the last example being 
delivered on December 22, 1958.  At least 230 others were cancelled.  

On May 22 and 23, 1958, Major Edward N. LeFaivre of the Marine Corps 
set five time-to-height records in F4D-1 BuNo 130745.  These were 3000 
meters (9842.5 feet) in 44.39 seconds, 6000 meters (19,685 feet) in 1 
min 6.13 seconds, 9000 meters (29,527.5 feet) in 1 minute 29.81 
seconds, 12,000 meters (39,370 feet) in 1 minute 51.23 seconds, and 
15,000 meters (49,212.5 feet) in 2 minutes 36.05 seconds.  

Late production F4D-1s were powered by the J57-P-8,P-8A, or P-8B 
turbojet which offered 10,200 lb.s.t. dry and 16,000 lb.s.t. with 
afterburning.  The F4D-1 was equipped with an APQ-50A radar mounted in 
the nose.  This radar was interfaced with an Aero 13F fire control 
system.  Underwing loads could consist of six pods each containing 
seven 2.75-inch unguided rockets, four pods containing 19 2.75-inch 
rockets each, two 2000-pound bombs, or two Sidewinder air-to-air 
missiles.  

VC-3 was later redesignated VFAW-3, and was attached for a time to the 
Air Defense Command.  Its Skyray interceptors participated in the 
aerial defense of the United States, and carried an electronics 
package on the fuselage centerline pylon, a pair of 300-gallon 
underwing drop tanks, two packs of 12 2.75-inch unguided rockets, and 
two Sidewinder air-to-missiles on the outer underwing pylons.  

F4D-1s were used by a total of eleven Navy squadrons and six Marine 
Corps fighter squadrons, as well as by three reserve squadrons and by 
several specialized units.  The Navy squadrons using the Skyray were 
VFAW-3, VF-13, VF-23, VF-51, VF-74, VF-101, VF-102, VF-141, VF-162, 
VF-213, VF-881, VF-882.  The Marine Corps units using the Skyray were 
VMF-113, VMF-114, VMF-115, VMF-215, VMF-314, VMF-513, VMF-531, 
VMF-542.  Both carrier- and land-based units were equipped with the 
Skyray.  

In September of 1962, the F4D-1 was redesignated F-6A under the new 
tri-service designation system.  By this time, the Skyray was in 
service with only three front-line squadrons (VFAW-3, VMF-114, and 
VMF-531) and with three reserve units (VF-881, VF-882, and VMF-215).  

The service life of the Skyray with the Navy and USMC was relatively 
brief, since the aircraft was specialized to the high-altitude 
interception role and lacked the multi-mission capability that was 
becoming increasingly important.  The Skyray had a good climb rate, a 
high ceiling, a relatively high speed, and a good radar, all features 
which made it a good interceptor.  However, it had a reputation of 
being a difficult plane to fly.  The last Skyray left service on 
February 29, 1964.  The Skyray never saw any combat, although it was 
deployed to Taiwan in 1958 and to Guantanamo in 1962 in response to 
crises.  

In 1956, F4D-1 BuNo 134759 was transferred to NACA at Ames for various 
research and development tasks.  It was retired in 1959.  

BuAer serials of Douglas F4D-1 Skyray: 

130740/130750 	Douglas F4D-1 Skyray 
134744/134973 	Douglas F4D-1 Skyray 
136163/136392 	Douglas F4D-1 Skyray - contract cancelled 
139030/139207 	Douglas F4D-1 Skyray 

Specification of Douglas F4D-1 Skyray: 

One Pratt & Whitney J57-P-8, 8A, or 8B turbojet, 10,200 lb.s.t. dry 
and 16,000 lb.s.t. with afterburning.  Maximum speed 722 mph at sea 
level, 695 mph at 36,000 feet.  Cruising speed 520 mph.  Initial climb 
rate 18,300 feet per minute.  Service ceiling 55,000 feet.  Combat 
ceiling 51,000 feet.  Landing speed 134 mph.  Normal range 700 miles, 
maximum range 1200 miles.  Weights: 16,024 pounds empty, 22,648 pounds 
combat, 25,000 pounds gross, 27,116 pounds maximum.  Dimensions: 
wingspan 33 feet 6 inches, length 45 feet 3 inches, height 13 feet 0 
inches, wing area 557 square feet.  Internal fuel capacity was 640 US 
gallons.  Two 150-US gallon or 300-US gallon drop tanks could be 
carried underwing, bringing total maximum fuel capacity to 1240 US 
gallons.  Armed with four 20-mm cannon in the wings.  External stores 
of up to 4000 pounds in weight could be carried on seven wing and 
fuselage hardpoints (Four underneath the wings, two underneath the 
wing roots, and one on the fuselage centerline).  Underwing loads 
could consist of six pods each containing seven 2.75-inch unguided 
rockets, four pods containing 19 2.75-inch rockets each, two 
2000-pound bombs, or two Sidewinder air-to-air missiles.  

Sources:

  The Aircraft of the World, William Green and Gerald Pollinger,
  Doubleday, 1965.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

  United States Navy Aircraft Since 1911, Gordon Swanborough and
  Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

  Flying the Frontiers--NACA and NASA Experimental Aircraft, Arthur
  Pearcy, Naval Institute Press, 1993.

  McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Since 1920: Volume 1, Rene J. Francillon,
  Naval Institute Press, 1988.

  Ray Wagner, American Combat Planes, Third Enlarged Edition,
  Doubleday, 1982.

Joe Baugher			**************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories		*  "Round up the usual suspects."    *
1000 E. Warrenville Road	**************************************
P. O. Box 3013
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7013		
(708) 713 4548				
uscbu!jfb                     Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!	
[email-masked]