Subject: Vought F-8 Crusader (10 of 18)

From: [email-masked] (joseph.f.baugher)
Date: 12 Sep 94 00:46:52 GMT

With the growing intensity of the Vietnam War in the mid-1960s, the US 
Navy had decided to keep many of its smaller 27C class carriers such 
as the *Hancock*, *Oriskany*, *Intrepid*, *Ticonderoga*, and 
*Shangri-La* in operation.  These carriers were too small to be able 
to handle the Phantom, but they were able to operate the Crusader, 
which was the primary fighter and reconnaissance aircraft carried 
aboard these smaller ships.  However, by this time, normal attrition 
as well as the losses produced by heavy combat had begun to deplete 
the number of available Crusaders serving aboard these ships.  

In order to improve the capabilities and the longevity of the 
Crusaders that the Navy still had on strength, and in order to keep 
the Crusader operationally effective for a longer period of time, the 
Vought Aeronautics Division of the (now-renamed) Link-Temco-Vought 
company was given a contract to refurbish and modernize existing 
Crusader airframes.  The letters G through M were alloted for these 
remanufactured F-8s, with the letter 'I' being omitted.  

The first remanufacturing program concerned the RF-8A reconnaissance 
version of the Crusader, with 73 RF-8As ultimately being 
remanufactured as RF-8G.  They were rotated back to Vought for 
modernization with a J57-P-22 engine rated at 10,700 lb.s.t. dry and 
18,000 lb.s.t. with afterburner.  They were equipped with the ventral 
fins of later Crusader marks and were provided with improved 
navigation and electronic equipment.  In addition, they were equipped 
with underwing hardpoints for drop tanks, and four cameras were 
mounted in the fuselage reconnaissance bay.  

The first group of 53 were refurbished from 1965-67 and the second 
batch of 20 were refurbished in 1968-70.  The Gs could be immediately 
distinguished from the As by the presence of the long ventral strakes 
mounted on the rear fuselage.  The first RF-8G reentered service in 
October of 1965.  It made its first cruise beginning in July of 1966 
aboard the USS *Coral Sea*.  

The lifetime of the RF-8G proved to be much longer than even the most 
optimistic projections had predicted.  In the late 1970s, there were 
substantial numbers of these planes still flying on active duty with 
the Navy.  Beginning in February 1977, a second upgrade of 
reconnaissance Crusaders was carried out.  Many of the J-57-P-22 
engines of the RF-8Gs were replaced by more powerful J57-P-429 
engines.  New electrical wiring was provided and new electronic 
countermeasures equipment was added.  These modified RF-8Gs could be 
identified by the presence of two large afterburner cooling air 
intakes mounted on their upper tailcones, a feature which had first 
appeared on the F8U-2 (F-8C).  The modified RF-8Gs also featured a 
round protrusion sticking out of the rear of the upper vertical fin 
just above the rudder.  This carried a radar warning receiver.  

The RF-8G was ultimately to be the longest-serving US version of the 
Crusader, serving long after its fighter cousins had been withdrawn.  
The last active duty Navy unit to fly the RF-8G was VFP-63, which 
relinquished its planes in June of 1982.  The RF-8G flew even longer 
with the Naval Air Reserve.  The Naval Air Reserve units operating the 
RF-8G were VFP-206 and VFP-306 and were both based at NAF Washington 
DC, stationed at Andrews AFB.  VFP-206 finally relinquished its RF-8Gs 
on March 29, 1987, becoming the last Navy unit to fly the Crusader.  
The last Crusader in Navy service, RF-8G BuNo 146860, was officially 
turned over to the Smithsonian Institution the next day.  

Rockwell International in Palmdale, California obtained two RF-8Gs 
from VFP-206 and 306 after these reserve units decommissioned.  These 
were 144617 and 145607.  They were used in support of Rockwell's 
Advanced Technology Wing program.  However, only 144617 actually made 
any flights.  In May of 1987, the ATW program ran out of funds, and no 
further tests were carried out.  

Serials of RF-8G: 

141363, 144607, 144608, 144613/144620, 144623/144625, 145607/145609, 
145611, 145613/145615, 145616, 145622/145625, 145627, 145629, 
145631/145633, 146635/14637, 145639, 145641/145643, 145645/145647, 
146827, 146835, 146838, 146844/146846, 146848, 146855, 146856, 146858, 
146860, 146861, 146863/146865, 146866, 146870, 146871, 146873, 146874, 
146876, 146882, 146883, 146886, 146889, 146890, 146892, 146895, 
146987/146899, 146901.  

Sources:

    Vought F-8 Crusader, Peter Mersky, Osprey, 1981.

    The Aircraft of the World, William Green and Gerald Pollinger,
    Doubleday, 1965.

    The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

    United States Navy Aircraft Since 1911, Gordon Swanborough and
    Peter M. Bowers, Smithsonian, 1989.

    Ray Wagner, American Combat Planes, Third Enlarged Edition,
    Doubleday, 1982.

    The World's Fighting Planes, William Green, Doubleday, 1968.

Joe Baugher			**************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories		*  "You see, something's going to    *
1000 E. Warrenville Road	*   happen.  Something wonderful!"   *
P. O. Box 3013			**************************************
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7013		
(708) 713 4548				
uscbu!jfb                   Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!	
[email-masked]