Subject: Number Ninety-Four in the Series--Lockheed F-94 Starfire

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Oct 93 16:30:01 GMT

>From [email-masked]

The F-94D was the designation applied to a proposed but unbuilt 
single-seat fighter-bomber version of the F-94C Starfire.  

In January of 1951, Lockheed was awarded a contract for 113 Model 
980-75-14 single-seat fighter-bomber adaptations of the F-94C two-seat 
all-weather fighter.  The designation was F-94D.  Serials were 
51-13604 through 13716.  The fuselage, tail surfaces and J48 
powerplant of the F-94C were to be married to a new wing with 50 
percent more area.  The rear radar operator's position was to be 
removed and replaced by additional fuel tanks.  320-gallon wingtip and 
pylon tanks were to be used, bringing total fuel capacity to 1965 US 
gallons.  A retractable inflight refuelling probe was to be installed 
in the upper nose.  The rocket armament in the nose was to be replaced 
by eight 0.5-inch machine guns.  The radar fire control system of the 
F-94C was to be replaced with ranging radar.  Up to 4000 pounds of 
ordinance were to be carried on additional underwing racks.  

In order to gain some flight test information, two configuration 
prototypes for the F-94D were obtained by fitting the new F-94D nose 
to a pair of F-94B-5-LOs (serial numbers 51-5500 and 51-5501).  

Aircraft 51-13604 was almost complete to serve as the prototype YF-94D 
when the USAF cancelled the entire F-94D program on October 15, 1951.  
The reason given by the USAF was that they wanted Lockheed to 
concentrate its full efforts on the F-94C program.  

51-13604 	Lockheed YF-94D-1-LO Starfire - cancelled 
51-13605/13716 	Lockheed F-94D-1-LO Starfire - cancelled 

Sources:

  Lockheed Aircraft Since 1913, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute Press,
  1987.

  Fighters of the United States Air Force, Robert F. Dorr and David Donald,
  Temple Press Aerospace, 1990.

  The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

Joe Baugher		AT&T Bell Laboratories   	
2000 North Naperville Road      Naperville, Illinois 60566-7033