Subject: Plant Aromatics Reference Manuals

From: [email-masked] (Graham Sorenson)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 21:07:52 +0000

Special Manuals for Aromatherapists, Recommended for Coursework...
  
Plant Aromatics Reference Manuals. Sets 1 to 4 Martin Watt Cert Phyt

Set 1. Irritation, Sensitization, Photosensitivity, charts of maximum
          recommended levels of use,          					9.95 
Set 2. Oral and Dermal Toxicity of Essential Oils and Absolutes        	5.50
Set 3. Maximum recommended levels of Essential Oils in Perfumes  	4.50
Set 4. Detailed & Referenced Adverse effects on the Skin of Aromatic
          Plant extracts.                           					21.95

 Updates to sets 1 to 3                        					6.50

Complete, Sets 1 to 4, with updates 1 to 3 and 2 binders 

         				48.50
				Including UK post.  

				All prices are in UK pounds

A critique on the manuals by Jaswinder Sandu B.Sc (MicroBiol.)

The author has spent several years of concerted effort building up the materials for his safety 
reference manuals which cover the above areass...

These are fast becoming landmark works, and are promised to be expeanded to include further 
sections devoted to Aromatic materials as well as allied subjects.

inspite of all the interest in essential oils and particularly with the explosion in 
Aromatherapy, there is as yet no corpus of knowledge which presents the wide usage of oils in 
theraputics. French authors (Valnet et al) often were not very specific on the actual oil they 
used in their treatments. This can cause problems when the distinction between common name, 
scientific name, botanical or the origin is not made clear. This is particualarly important 
expecially where clonal forms may have replaced original botanicals. (e.g. the replacement of 
Lavander vera or Lavander officinalis by Lavander angustifolia).

Many English authors have paid tribute to the French writers on Aromatherapy, but in some 
instances the botanical or oil was not translated correctly and this has resulted in some 
confusion. Martin's work has set out to put the whole  of the current interest inessential oils 
on a scientific foundation. More important, his manual is both concise and based on objective 
documentary evidence and NOT anecdotal information.

Martin Watt of course, is a fully qualified Medical Herbalist and this gives him the status of 
being able to put forward his statements with authority. With this new section 4 he has 
continued his work on the 'side-effects'  of oils and has presented what is probably the most 
comprehensive susrvey ever undertaken of referenced dermatological literature, this latest work 
is particually significant s it adds substantually to the corpus of knowledge available to 
anyone who works with natural fragrance materials.

This is essentially a worker's reference book. Anyone who uses, studies or is engaged in 
Aromatherapy or Phytotherapy should regard this as an essential piece of their equipment. It is 
highly recommended.

Jaswinder Sandu B.Sc (MicroBiol.)

Available now.

Regards.
Graham

-- 
Graham Sorenson    E-Mail [email-masked]
Aardvark Design 4 Print & Web pages.
Natures Gifts, Essential Oils for Aromatherapy.
Guide to Aromatherapy URL
http://www.dircon.co.uk/home/philrees/fragrant/