Subject: Migraines

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 01:43:54 -0500

in Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
tris writes:
>during migraine attacks she also reacted strongly to smells (this was a good
thing or a bad thing depending on the smell, of course). I want to find the
most helpful, and healing ..uh ...essences for her. Due to the individuality
of this particular ailment, that may not mean a universal agent. 
 I *do not* have a background in botany, herbology, aromatherapy or 
any related studies, but I figure it's time to look into the possibility of 
acquiring (or preferably making) a fragrant oil that would ease (dare I hope 
eliminate?) her pain.
I enrolled myself in an anthropology course that examines how assorted 
cultures approach illnesses<

hi tris!
thank you for a very interesting post.
sorry for your wife.
migraines may have various origins. you dont say what your physician found.
imho, in terms of symptoms, you may want to try this very nice formula:
*mentha piperita*, 2 drops, plus *ocimum basilicum*, 1 drop, in a teaspoon
value of organic sesame oil. apply gently: forefront, temples, earlobules. be
extra careful *not* to put any oil inside the ears though. i repeat that: no
oil in the external acoustic meatus. only a little bit on the lobs. since
your mileage may vary, you may have to modify the number of drops according
to effect. the common word for mentha pipperita is *peppermint*. for ocimum
basilicum, its *basil*. many essential oils on the market are rectified, or
peroxidized, deterpenized, decolorized, reconstituated, and/or mixed with
another essential oil, alcohol, lipids, and other chemicals. you may need to
check your oil with techniques like gaschromatographicic sreening or to get
your oil from a company that does check its products. to the best of my
knowledge, there is only one company at this time in the us that does that
kind of thing: amrita aromatherapy, po box 2178, fairfield ia 52556. phone
515 472 9136: ask for doctor streicher if you have questions about quality
and essential oils. of course, it doesnt mean other companies dont have any
valuable products. organic sesame oil can be found in bulk at any reputable
health food store, but if you have difficulties, email me and ill tell you
where i get mine. 
all this will work well only temporarely. you need to clear the physiological
pathways more deeply than that in order to get anything done in the long run.
but you already knew that.
best wishes to you, tris, and to your wife. 
us law being what it is, *you may use the information in this post only at
your own risk*.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 23 Jan 1995 10:02:57 GMT

>of this particular ailment, that may not mean a universal agent. 

I too am not a "professional" aromatherapist though I absolutely believe in
potential uses.

Like your wife, I suffer from sever migraines.  And like your wife my sense
of smell is greatly enhanced.....almost everything I smell makes my head throb
and makes me vomit!  Heres what I do though that helps tremendously (BTW I
wont take any medications for my migraines because I nurse my child).  I take
tepid baths with lavender.  I also use lavender in compresses.  To me this is
one of the most soothing of the oils Ive experienced.  I think lavender is reputed
to have a energizing action on the senses.

Im suremost people will tell you to be wary of what you purchase.  Only buy pure
essential oils.  With the heightened "fad" of aromatherapy (atleast here in So Cal)
there are many things on the market that I feel are a rip-off.

BTW I used several oils during my last labor (lavender was the first) along with
self hypnosis.  My first labor had been 38 hrs followed by a crash c-section, my
second was just about the same.  But I can honestly say that using oils helped
me relax and concentrate and continue on.....although the nurses thought I was 
ABSOLUTELY CRAZY bringing in my vials and my diffuser...and they had been
forewarned <G>.

And finally I tend to like "traditional" oils....lemon, peppermint, eucalyptis (sp),
vanilla....one I diffused I actually became high after a few minutes!

ttyl

lesa

BTW what a GREAT idea for a newsgroup!

---

From: [email-masked] (Pattynyne)
Date: 22 Jan 1995 17:12:48 -0500

>many essential oils on the market are rectified, or
>peroxidized, deterpenized, decolorized, reconstituated, and/or mixed
>with another essential oil, alcohol, lipids, and other chemicals. you may
>need to check your oil with techniques like gaschromatographicic
>sreening or to get your oil from a company that does check its products.
>to the best of my knowledge, there is only one company at this time in
>the us that does that kind of thing:

I don't believe that the average consumer has access or money to get a
gaschromatography done on each essential oil purchase....
As far as my knowledge with GC....they are not very accurate if you only
have them done once one on each oil you sell....you would have to have a
GC done on each new batch that comes in...so I imagine this is why most
companies...large and small don't do it...... If you have to know your
producers......know your essential oils....I am speaking of course of the
companies when they purchase their oils from various producers....

on the consumer level.....they have to know who they are dealing with...is
this company knowledgable about essential oils? Do they tell you the
botanical name, country of origin, wild or organic, etc.? Do you like how
their oils smell overall...?? Are they referenced in any books? This might
mean nothing...but it also might mean that "authorities" in the industry
are familiar with them and trust their quality and integrity in the
marketplace...I don't personally like dealing with essential oil sellers
that can tell you nothing about the oils and their uses...no matter how
many tests they run or how pretty they package them......

You have to be careful overgeneralizing that only one company does GC or
that *most* oils are tainted in some way......because what you might not
realize is that this is a very small industry...I personally know that
some EO companies buy from other EO companies or some companies use the
exact same producers in different countries to buy their oils.....in some
countries.....you only have one or two producers..... 

You can trust and buy from whomever you choose , but a GC is not the end
all to end all way to decide who has the best....

thanks for letting me respond with my 2 cents...errr...well maybe 3 cents
worth!

Patty

---

From: sharon danielle wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 14:52:10 GMT

There is a store in Canada (they have a few in the states and one in 
Moscow) called the Soapberry Shop.  In addition to being environmentally 
friendly and against animal testing, they sell pure essential 
aromatherapy oils.  Their combination of wheatgerm, lavender, marjoram, 
and thyme in their Relaxing Massage Oil, is highly recommended for 
headaches.  I don't personally get migraines, but it's worth a shot!