Subject: Re: Help with TMJ and Allergies

From: [email-masked] (Jason Cohen)
Date: 24 Mar 1995 20:38:48 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Karen M. Chan) says:
>
>
>
>During periods of pollen-filled air, I have found myself forever sneezing,
>blowing my nose, or living on decongestants and/or antihistimines so I can
>breathe.  
>

Hello fellow allergy sufferer.  I too suffer from severe allergies and have
found help, and health only in the last few years.  A few things you might 
want to consider.  Get a food and environmental allergy test from an M.D. - 
preferably from an Allergist who does chemical testing.  I say this only because
the alternative tests I went through were non-conclusive for me.  I have suffered
from allergies since childhood, and thankfully have outgrown most of them.  What
you said about just obtaining hayfever like symptoms in the last few years is very
common.  Adults do, and can become allergic to foods and environmental factors.

It wasn't until I found the true source to my allergies that I was able to monitor
my environment.  Unfortunatly, I was allergic to my Cat - when we (tearfully) gave
her away, I no longer relied on most, if not all of my inhalers, allergy pills, etc.
My husband, Jason, is allergic to wheat.  He limits, or omits any
wheat products (which is in almost all bread/cereal/pastry products) from his diet
and is allergy free.  

>The congestion is aggravating my TMJ, making my neck muscles stiff.
>
As a Certified Massage Therapist, I suffered from this, as well as treat it
in my own practice.  It been hypothosized that allergies affect TMJ directly.
Some researchers are suggesting that "grinding" and "teeth clenching" are 
related to allergic symptoms.  

I have had severe TMJ and neck soreness for years - the suggestions you have
had posted from other massage therapists are quite valid - follow the suggestions
for Deep Tissue Massage/Relaxation/Yoga/Excercises.

Be well and good luck!