Subject: Red Marine Algae and Herpes Article

From: [email-masked] (Mike Davis)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 13:41:29 -0700

Thought you all might find this interesting, one of the articles on my web site.

Regards, Mike

*****************************
Red Marine Algae and Herpes

by Kent Farfield

Long term relief for Herpes? Alternative treatment may help!

Historically, there has been no long term relief for chronic sufferers of 
herpes simplex infections, let alone a cure.  Herpes sufferers are seemingly 
at the mercy of this viral menace.  Despite failure at the eradication of the 
herpes virus, success in the short term by temporarily suppressing its 
proliferation has yielded positive results.  One such agent, acyclovir, a 
nucleoside analogue,has been regarded as the drug of choice by the medical 
community. However, as with most drugs, there are side effects. Are there 
no alternatives?

There are as many known factors which contribute to a chronic case of herpes, 
while other factors remain a mystery.  Finding ways to stop or curb some of the
known factors which predispose one to herpes activity can be helpful.  Chronic 
herpes sufferers are well accustomed to the recommended restrictions in diet 
and lifestyle.  Yet, even healthy individuals who seemingly do everything right 
to lead a herpes-free life cannot escape this relentless virus.  So, what's 
next?

Treatment with acyclovir relieves symptoms, reduces the amount of infectious 
virus released from the sores and speeds healing.  The treatment does not 
prevent subsequent attacks or diminish their frequency or severity.  The effect
of acyclovir in a herpes virus infection is to inhibit the synthesis of viral 
DNA.  Prophylactic courses of oral acyclovir can have a modest impact on 
recurrent infections, but the cost of the drug and its potential toxicity over 
the long term do not justify such regimens in most cases.  In the majority of 
cases for genital herpes, general recurrency patterns returned within 8 to 25
days after stopping long term use.

Laboratory studies suggest prolonged administration of acyclovir as a 
prophylactic or its prescription for trivial infections might favor the 
appearance of virus strains that are both drug-resistant and pathogenic. 
This concern over the advent of drug resistant pathogens, has recently 
come to pass.  The NIH reported that a new strain of genital herpes
 (HSV-II) has evolved upon which acyclovir had no effect.  

Given the drug like nature of acyclovir, with side effects included, herpes 
sufferers have sought a natural approach to prevent or suppress their herpes 
symptoms.  The most popular natural remedy, sold in health food stores, are 
high doses of the amino acid L-lysine.  High doses of L-lysine, which is an 
essential amino acid, have been clinically shown to suppress the proliferation 
of the herpes virus.  Earlier research revealed that some amino acids increased 
growth in viral activity and others decreased such activity.  Further studies 
showed that one could effectively alter the chemistry of the cellular 
environment by increasing the availability of a particular amino acid.  In 
the case of L-lysine, inducing a higher concentration of L-lysine was shown 
to lower the arginine cellular concentration.  The effect of depleting the 
existing reserves of arginine (a non-essential amino acid) combined with 
the presence of L-lysine effectively thwarts assembly of viralprotein coats. 
Without this vital structural component, herpes viruses cannot invade new 
cells.  Potential herpes infections are thus temporarily aborted.  

Acyclovir and L-lysine, although widely used, have provided variable success 
for its users.  The fact that known side effects from taking acyclovir include 
nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness and headache are not encouraging given 
that effective treatment of acyclovir requires daily use.  Also, little is 
known about the long term effects and toxicity.  One study showed chromosome 
damage when taking large doses even though low dosages are considered safe.
L-lysine, once announced as a major medical breakthrough in the prevention 
of herpes disease, has its downside as well.  Research has shown that a 
decrease in arginine lowers lymphocyte immune reactivity in healthy human 
beings.  Essentially, an increase in daily intake of L-lysine has the net 
effect of lowering our natural immunity due to the decrease of arginine in 
the cellular environment (perhaps arginine, once thought non-essential is 
becoming increasingly essential for our own survival).  The fact that it 
suppresses herpes simplex viral activity is significant, but not at the expense
of our adaptive immune system.  Neither acyclovir nor L-lysine are recommended 
for long term prophylactic treatment.  Individuals seeking a dailymaintenance 
dosage to ward off herpes outbreaks would be ill advised to relyon L-lysine
or acyclovir.  Chronic herpes sufferers would be better off to investigate 
other means to prevent or suppress their herpes condition.  Is there no hope?

Western medicine, armed with its infinite technological powers, can still help
us.  Many potent botanical agents have been investigated but never made it 
through the arduous process of drug approval.  Difficulties in understanding 
the intricate process under which particular botanical agents interact within
the human body has kept many useful medicines from ever reaching the people
who most urgently need them.  In addition, many botanical agents can only 
work in their whole plant form. They work on multiple levels and act 
synergistically within the body.

Although the actions of these botanical agents in whole plants (commonly 
described as herbs or medicinal plants) are difficult to trace and report 
scientifically, a close monitoring of clinical results by trained practitioners 
can be useful and show efficacy.  Certainly, using our powers of observation
to determine whether a particular treatment works better than no treatment,
or better than some other treatment for a patient whose health status and
history is well documented can be significant.

One such casualty of the drug approval process is a red marine algae in the
family of Dumontiaceae.  Research on antiviral carbohydrates from marine
red algae indicate a high potential for low-cost, broad spectrum antiviral 
agents.  Further research in the family of Dumontiaceae produced two patents
where clinical efficacy for herpes I and II was clearly shown.  The treatment
was effective for treating subjects (e.g. human patients) both prior to and 
subsequent to herpes infection.  It was used topically to alleviate symptoms
associated with herpes infections or preferably systemic, by oral
administration, to eradicate the virus and thereby prevent symptom recurrence.
No side effects or toxicity were noted.  This treatment, which now must be
considered alternative, suggests a breakthrough in the discovery of natural 
immunomodulatory and antiviral agents.

Recent research and gathering of anecdotal evidence on the health benefits
and antiherpetic action of the red marine algae, Dumontiaceae, has yielded
much promise.  Its use as a topical has been further documented and thought
superior to acyclovir.  It was shown to be clinically effective against herpes
zoster infections as well.  Anecdotal reports from patients suffering from
Epstein Barr (another herpes virus) and Candida have shown marked improvement
in a short period of time through oral administration (systemic).  

General health benefits show red marine algae useful in weight-loss programs 
and for lowering cholesterol and fat in the blood. It contains soothing,
mucilaginous gels such as algin, carregeenan, and agar, which specifically 
rejuvenate the lungs and gastrointestinal tract.  Once thought of as a 
liability that blocked assimilation, the tough cell wall in Dumontiaceae
has been
found to be invaluable.  It binds with heavy metal, pesticides, and carcinogens,
and carries these toxins safely out of the body.  Contained within the
cell walls
are simple sugars called complex polysaccharides.  These long chained complex 
sugars stimulate interferon production as well as other anti-tumor and immune-
enhancing activity (improving activity of T- and B-cells).  Other compounds in 
the cell wall are related to those found in friendly bacteria which fortify and 
strengthen our immune systems to fight against invading organisms and toxins.

Although the effects of long term use of an alternative treatment such as the
red marine algae, Dumontiaceae, has not been clinically substantiated, edible 
seaweeds have been consumed for thousands of years and are considered  safe, 
nutritious, and beneficial.  The  added dimension that science has uncovered 
surrounding  its antiviral and immunomodulatory potential; opens up a whole 
new source of food that could serve to palliate or even hopefully cure virally 
caused diseases.  Since most life derived from the sea, the novel idea that the 
ocean lies untapped as perhaps our greatest medicinal resource is entirely 
possible and may be critical to our human survival.

1. Baba et. al., "Mechanism of inhibitory effect of dextran sulfate and heparin
in replication of human immunodeficiency virus in vitro."  Proc Natl. Acad. Sci 
85:6132-6136.  1988

2. Barbul, A. et al., "Arginine stimulates lymphocyte immune response in
 healthy human beings.  Surgery  90: pp 244-251.  1984

3. Cole and Sheath,  (Ed.),  Biology of the Red Algae, Cambridge University
 Press, Cambridge, 1990.

4. Dieg et. al.,  "Inhibition of herpesvirus replication by marine algae
extracts,"  
Anitimicrb. Ag. Chemother. 6:524-525. 1974

5. Dieg et. al.,  "Evaluation of extracts of marine algae for antiviral
activity 
in experimental herpes simplex infections of infant mice."  In Fifty-second 
Technical Progress Report, Section 4, Naval Biosciences Laboratory, School 
of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley. 1977

6. Dieg et. al., "Development of dermal lesions in adult mice infected with 
herpes simplex virus: application of the model in the evaluation of 
antiherpesvirus substance from marine algae."  Office of Naval Research, 
University of California Sea Grant Program. Unpublished.

7. Ehresmann et al., "Antiviral properties of algal polysaccharides and 
related compounds,"  In H. A.  Hoppe et. al., (ed.),  Marine Algae in 
Pharmaceutical Science, W. de Gruyter, N. Y.: 293-302. 1979

8. Ehresmann, et. al, "Antiviral substances from California marine algae,"  
J. Phycol. 13: 37-40. 1979

9. Gonzales et. al.,  "Polysaccharides as antiviral agents: antiviral activity
 of carrageenan,"  Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 31: 1388-1393. 
1987

10.  Hallinan et. al.,  "Inhibition of reverse transcriptase by polyvinyl 
sulfate (PVS)," Cancer Biochem. Biophys. 98:97-101. 1981

11.  Hatch et. al.,  "Chemical characterization and therapeutic evaluation 
of anti Herpesvirus polysaccharides from species of Dumontiaceae,"  
In H. A. Hoppe et. al.,  (ed.)  Marine Algae in Pharmaceutical Science 
W. de Gruyter, N. Y.  346-363.  1979

12.  Mitsuya et. al., 1988  "Dextran sulfate suppression of viruses in the 
HIV family: inhibition of virion binding to CD4 and cells,"  
Science 240:646-649.  1988

13.  Nakashima et. al.,  "Antiretroviral activity in a marine red alga: reverse 
transcriptase inhibition by an aqueous extract of Schizymenia pacifica"  
Journal Cancer Res. Clin Oncol 113: 413-16.  1987

14.  Neushul,  "Antiviral carbohydrates from marine red algae."  Hydrobiologia 
204/205:99-104.  1990

15.  Pitchford, Paul, Healing with Whole Foods,  North Atlantic Books, 
Berkeley, California, 1993

16.  Richards et. al.,  "Antiviral activity of extracts from marine algae,"  
Antimicrob.  Agents Chemother.  14: 24-3-.  1978

17.  Schaffrath et. al.,  "Interactions of glycosaminoglycans with DNA and 
RNA synthesizing enzymes invitro,"  Z. Physiol Chem. 357:499-508. 1976

16.  Solomon et. al.,  "Inhibitory effect of heparin on Rous Sarcoma virus,"  
J. Bact. 92:1855-56. 1966

18. Straus et al.,, "Suppression of  frequently recurring gential herpes"  
N Eng J of Medicine, Vol 310  No. 24 pg. 1545-50. 1984

19.  Douglas et al.,  "Acyclovir and Genital Herpes"  N Eng J of Medicine,  
Vol. 310 No. 24 pg. 1551-56. 1984

20.  Thomson and Fowler,  "Carrageenan: a review of its effects on the 
immune system,:  Agents and Actions.  11: 265-273.  1981

21.  Ueno and Kuno,  "Dextran sulphate, a potent anti-HIV agent in vitro 
having synergism with sidovudine," Lancet 1:1379.  1987

-- 
Melatonin.Folate.Trypto,Articles,Discnt.Suplmnt.Sources,Cool.Stuf
The.Buffalo.SpringBoard:> http://www.quake.net/~xdcrlab/hp.html
Ultrasnd.Tchnlgy: http://www.quake.net/~xdcrlab/Ultrasound.html