Subject: ANTI-RACIST MARCH in Toronto, Friday, April 2; READ IT!

From: GECKO <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1993 01:46:42 GMT

Greetings, y'all.  Read THIS... 

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% 
%                                                                            % 
%                           ANTI-RACIST ACTION                               % 
%                                                                            % 
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% 

     Nazis shouldn't teach in our schools - Paul Fromm, get outta town! 
                                            You make me frown, nazi clown. 

            @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ 
            @@                                             @@ 
            @@                DEMONSTRATE                  @@ 
            @@                                             @@ 
            @@              FRIDAY  APRIL 2                @@ 
            @@                                             @@ 
            @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ 
 
            (This march is taking place in Toronto, Canada!) 

                     Meet at the 519 Community Centre 
                              519 Church St. 
                           North of Wellesley 
                               At 4:00 PM 
 
               _________________________________________ 
              |                                         | 
              |    MARCH ON THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION   | 
              |_________________________________________| 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
 
  PAUL FROMM - WHO IS HE? 
 
  ================== 
  # Nazi Supporter # 
  ================== 
 
* In 1981, Fromm became treasurer of the Metro Progressive Conservative 
  Party.  He was fired after he said in a newspaper interview that belief 
  in a supreme race "is a good idea" and that Indochinese refugees should 
  be sent to desert islands because "their influx into Canada will upset 
  the racial balance." 
 
* On December 8, 1990, Fromm spoke at a Heritage Front rally alongside 
  some of Canada's most extreme racist organizations: the fascist 
  paramilitary Church of the Creator, the Women's Aryan Union, and the 
  Canadian Alliance.  Fromm denied having gone to the rally until a video 
  tape surfaced showing him speaking with a number of Nazi and white power 
  flags behind him.  When speaking to the group, he stated, "We're all on 
  the same side," and was greeted by the Nazi salute. 
 
* Fromm spoke again at a public Heritage Front meeting on September 5, 
  1991.  He also spoke at a celebration of Hitler's birthday in April, 
  1992 at a meeting of the far-right Northern Foundation in Ottawa with 
  homophobic and anti-choice leader Ken Campbell. 
 
* On September 24, 1991, Fromm was ejected from a meeting of Toronto's 
  Mayor's Committee on Race Relations for yelling "Scalp 'em!" while 
  Rodney Bobiwash of the Native Canadian Centre was speaking. 
 
* On November 7, 1992, Fromm went to Victoria, B.C. to speak on behalf of 
  Holocaust-denier David Irving, who was deported from Canada on Nov. 13. 

  ============================= 
  # Longtime Racist Organizer # 
  ============================= 
 
* While still a student at the University of Toronto, Paul Fromm 
  co-founded the "anti-communist" Edmund Burke Society with notorious 
  racist Don Andrews.  Within five years, this group became the explicitly 
  neo-Nazi Western Guard. 
 
* As director of the Canadian Association for Free Expression Inc., Fromm 
  supports well-known racists like Ernst Zundel whose hate literature 
  denies that the Holocaust in Nazi Germany happened and supports 
  hate-mongers like Philippe Rushton, James Keegsta, and Malcolm Ross. 
 
* Fromm's other front group, Citizens for Foreign Aid Reform Inc. (C-FAR), 
  advocates racist restrictions on immigration and foreign aid.  Founded 
  in 1979, their newsletter publishes racist doctrines like, "We're living 
  in a minority-occupied country", and "documents" crimes committed by 
  immigrants to Canada. In a 1989 C-FAR letter, Fromm laid out a plan for 
  the organization, emphasizing building strength by "recruiting young 
  people... to develop the leaders of tomorrow!" 

  ======================= 
  # High School Teacher # 
  ======================= 
 
  Paul Fromm works as an English teacher at Applewood Heights Secondary 
  School in the Peel Region.  Fromm's presence in the school creates an 
  atmosphere of intimidation and fear and fuels racial tensions in the 
  school. 

  HAS ANYONE TAKEN ACTION? 
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
 
  The Peel Board of Education refused to take action on Fromm even after 
  viewing a video of his speech at the Heritage Front rally and listening 
  to testimony by both the Canadian Jewish Congress and Klanbusters on his 
  racist activities.  The Peel Board has issued two reprimands with a 
  warning that Fromm's participation in further activities could result in 
  his dismissal.  Fromm ignored this and spoke in Victoria on a platform 
  with David Irving last November. 
 
  Upset at the lack of action, groups including the Native Canadian 
  Centre, the Ontario Native Women's Association, the 519 Church Street 
  Community Centre, Anti-Racist Action, Klanbusters, the Canadian Jewish 
  Congress, Citizens Against Racism and the Urban Alliance on Race 
  Relations held a press conference October 21, 1992, at which they 
  demanded a review of Fromm's right to teach by the Ontario Ministry of 
  Education. 
 
  The Peel Board also requested this review, and in November of 1992, 
  Education Minister Tony Silipo appointed an indepenent advisor to 
  investigate Fromm's effect on the school community.  The Cowan report 
  was released on March 17, 1993. 
 
  The Cowan Report states that Fromm's racist activities violated sections 
  of the Education Act and breached the Peel Board of Education's 
  Multicultural and Race Relations Policy as well as the Regulations of 
  the Ontario Teacher's Federation. 

___________________________________________________________________________ 
|                                                                         | 
|  The report states that:                                                | 
|                                                                         | 
|  "...Mr. Fromm is not committed to the policies respecting              | 
|  ethnocultural equity, multiculturalism and anti-racism that are        | 
|  fundamental to the educational system in this province."               | 
|                                                                         | 
|  "In reviewing the activities of Mr. Fromm in this context, I believe   | 
|  Mr. Fromm did not fulfill his duties as a teacher to set a positive    | 
|  example consistent with the core values expressed by or implicit in    | 
|  s.264 (1) (c) of the Education Act."                                   | 
|                                                                         | 
|  "As a result of my investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Fromm's    | 
|  presence as a teacher has an adverse effect on the school community."  | 
|                                                                         | 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

   WHY WE'RE DEMONSTRATING 
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
 
   We want the Minister to know that we expect him to take responsibility 
   for the fact that racists are teaching and organizing in our schools. 
   The Education Minister must act now to remove Paul Fromm from the 
   classroom. 
 
   No student should have to be subjected to the racist ideologies and 
   practices of Paul Fromm !!! 

     __________________________________________________________________ 
     |                                                                | 
     |                      WE DEMAND THAT:                           | 
     |                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                           | 
     |                                                                | 
     |    * Paul Fromm's teaching certificate be revoked.             | 
     |                                                                | 
     |    * Mr. Fromm be fired from his teaching position.            | 
     |                                                                | 
     |    * Priority be given to anti-racist education NOW.           | 
     |                                                                | 
     |    * Other teachers with links to racist or neo-Nazi groups    | 
     |      like the Heritage Front and the Church of the Creator     | 
     |      be investigated.                                          | 
     |                                                                | 
     ------------------------------------------------------------------ 

     GET INVOLVED! 
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
 
     Your involvement is the key to ARA's success, whether in educational 
     campaigns, out on the street, or in "Rock Against Racism" gigs. 
 
     ARA has been helping high school students to build their own 
     independent ARA groups in their schools.  On January 19, ARA launched 
     its campaign in Toronto high schools, with a mass rally and march and 
     march co-organized with other anti-racists beginning from Riverdale 
     High School in the east end of Toronto.  Young anti-racists have 
     joined forces to show fascist organizers that they have a bigger 
     fight on their hands than they anticipated. 

 
     WHAT YOU CAN DO 
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
 
     * Get informed, knowledge is power! 
 
     * Bring anti-racists to speak in your school! 
 
     * Rip down racist posters, why don'tcha! 
 
     * Expose racist teachers at your school! 
 
     * Confront racists! 
 
     * Organize student anti-racist groups in your school! 
 
     * Join existin' anti-racist groups! 

     If you want to join Anti-Racist Action, start an ARA group in your 
     school or just get more information, contact us at our mailing 
     address or leave a message for us on the KLANBUSTERS HOTLINE: (416) 
     968-2127. 

              {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ 
              }{                                         }{ 
              }{           ANTI-RACIST ACTION            }{ 
              }{                                         }{ 
              }{        P.O. BOX 664, STATION 'C',       }{ 
              }{                                         }{ 
              }{        TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA         }{ 
              }{                                         }{ 
              }{                M6J 3S1                  }{ 
              }{                                         }{ 
              }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} 

 
          B.T.W. you can also e-mail me at [email-masked] 

                                      - GECKO