Subject: LaRouche/Bevel pamphlet: part 19

From: [email-masked] (John Covici)
Date: 22 Oct 92 9:42:46 GMT

- The Theological and Constitutional Alternative -
                  - To the Death Penalty -
             - by the Reverend James L. Bevel -

{The Reverend Bevel circulated the following paper
at the July 1992 National Convention of the Democratic
Party in New York City.}
   Greetings to 1992 Democratic National Convention delegates
and my fellow citizens,
   In the Spirit of the {American Revolution}, let me
offer my most sincere and deepest apology for not having
been as vigilant and committed, as I should have been
to the American Revolution.
   However, in spite of our collective failing, we can
be thankful to God for allowing us to see the light and
hear the voices of our Founding Fathers: ``We hold these
truths to be self evident, that all Men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain
inalienable rights, and that among these are Life, Liberty,
and the Pursuit of Happiness--That to secure these rights,
Governments are instituted among Men....'' While our
negligence and ill-will has allowed criminals, gangs,
crowds, mobs, and tyrants to threaten and take the lives
of our People, the voices of our Forefathers still resonate
loudly and clearly--reminding us of the fact that Governments
are instituted among men to secure these Rights.
   Yes, governments are instituted to secure the right
of life. The Forefathers did not say that {{electric chairs,
gas chambers, and lethal injections}} were instituted
to secure these Rights. No, my fellow Americans, Governments
are instituted to secure these Rights.
   Our freedom of religion, which was so well protected
by our Founding Fathers, teaches us to confess and repent.
This gives us the ability to forgive. When we do this,
we can clearly see our errors of the past, take
responsibility for our present, and see the options and
opportunities for our future. There were those who fought
against the American revolution in 1776, in 1865, and
in the 1960s, and today there are still those reactionary
Confederate forces that fight against the American
Revolution.
   Shall we contend with the threat upon the lives of
the American people by joining the criminals, gangs, crowds,
mobs, and tyrants? Absolutely not! We shall follow the
wisdom of the Founding Fathers and create a more perfect
Union. We shall work to get the malice, racism, and revenge
out of our hearts. We shall disengage from perverse,
trivial relationships, and relate to our family and neighbors
for no reason less than the reason for which we were created.
   We shall work and implement education curriculum
and policy that educates all of our children and citizens
to economic independence and institutional sovereignty.
We shall work and implement economic development policies
that utilize the gifts, skills, talents, and time of our
citizens. We shall work and implement a constitutional
development policy that creates and organizes precinct
councils in every precinct, so the American people have
the ways and means to address their social questions, issues,
problems, and needs, and can hold themselves and their
elected officials accountable.
   We oppose the {{death penalty }}because we are resolved
to give our lives, our fortune, and our sacred honor to
uphold the principles of the American Revolution, and
to establish a more perfect Union. Are we not mandated
to give light and leadership to the world? Does not the
best of the civilized world look in dismay as we abandon
the fundamental principles left to us as a sacred trust?
   By opposing the {{death  penalty, }}joining in the Spirit
of the American Revolution, and working to create a more
perfect Union, you will help to defeat the reactionary
Confederate forces and actualize the vision of Abraham
Lincoln.... A Nation of the People, for the People, and
by the People that does not perish from the earth.
   Yours against the death penalty and yours for a more
perfect Union,
   Reverend James L. Bevel

----
         John Covici
          [email-masked]