Subject: CANADA: Montreal Synagogues Painted With Swastikas
Newsgroups: alt.conspiracy,soc.culture.jewish,talk.politics.misc

File: /u/pd0/text.fascism/montreal.0193
Source: The Province, January 5, 1993

SYNAGOGUES PAINTED WITH RED SWASTIKAS

--------------------------
United Press International
--------------------------

MONTREAL - Seven synagogues in the Montreal area were painted with swastikas
and covered with anti-Semitic slogans, over the weekend.

Some buildings had swastikas spray-painted in red on the exterior, and some
carried the message `Juden raus', which is German for `Jews out', said Jack
Jedwab, director of community relations for Quebec of the Canadian Jewish
Congress.

"One possibility is that this series of incidents was perpetrated by
neo-Nazi skinheads or members of the neo-Nazi movement," Jedwab said
yesterday.

"We think it was an organized attack," he added.

The incident was the first anti-Semitic attack against Montreal's
95,000-member Jewish community in more than two years.

Given the anti-Semitic and racist violence in Germany and other European
countries over the past year, Jedwab said Montreal's synagogues were very
fortunate to have been so lightly hit.

==30==