Subject: the Internet Writer Resource Guide
From: [email-masked] (L. Detweiler)
Date: 6 Feb 1994 04:57:22 GMT
Newsgroups: misc.writing,rec.arts.prose,rec.arts.sf.written,misc.answers,rec.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: writing/resources
Version: 2.0
Last-modifed: 94/01/23

Internet Writer Resources
=========================

Compiled/Edited/Maintained by L. Detweiler 
  <[email-masked]>

This document is primarily a list of magazines and various outlets
accepting submissions by email, and branching out into Internet
resources for the writer in general. Thanks to everyone who has
responded. This list will be updated and maintained as long as *you*
send in updates and  improvements.  See the bottom for information on
distribution.

Contents
--------

- How to Submit
- Electronic Submissions List
- MCI Mail Magazine addresses
- A Note to Writers
- A Note to Editors
- A Vision of the Future
- The FAQ as the Future
- Other Electronic Resources
- CRAM
- Most Wanted List
- Credits
- Change History
- Distribution

How to Submit
=============

These addresses are provided through the courtesy of the publisher for
the purpose of submitting queries or complete manuscripts. In all cases
it is best to first *query* the publisher with a short description of
your article idea or outline of an already-written article. In your
query, you should address how your article fits in with the magazine's
scope and  focus. If you are querying multiple editors, do this for
each. Make sure that you are familiar with their general magazine
content enough to avoid wasting their time with irrelevent pieces or
ones that have just recently been covered. If the entry states that the
magazine has writer's  guidelines, ask the editor for those first and
adhere to them.

Multiple submissions: in general, if you want to adhere to the utmost
standards of politeness, avoid multiple simultaneous submissions.
Particularly with email you generally receive a very rapid turnaround, 
so that the necessity of multiple submissions is decreased. If you 
absolutely must attempt simultaneous submissions, and one editor accepts
an article, immediately email to all others that you are withdrawing
the  article.  Explicitly noting the status of your submission as
exclusive or simultaneous is a good idea.  Do not carbon copy send a
single article  with no individual attention to the receiving editors.

If you learned of the email address from this source, please tell the
editor that. It will encourage the editor to maintain the capability,
spur other editors to set up their own email addresses, and in turn help
expand your own list of possible and alternative outlets for your
writing.

Electronic Submissions List
===========================

These magazines are published monthly unless otherwise noted. The
`content' category describes the general content and requested writing.
`compensation' describes the remuneration policies (if any). `rights'
describes the rights to the material that are sold to the publisher.
`contact' is the email address of the publisher, editor, or the general
submission address.

Note: the accuracy of this list is not guaranteed. In particular, the
rights involved in a particular `sale' may be variable or negotiable.
Make sure you understand the terms of the arrangement with the
publisher. If you are interested in only certain kinds of contracts
(such as retaining the copyright, which is usual the usual case but not
guaranteed) be sure to tell the editor.

- Alternate Hilarities

  Type: magazine of humor in speculative fiction
  Content: humorous pieces from all areas of the speculative fiction
    field, horror, science fiction and fantasy of all types. ``We're
    looking for stories ranging in length from 1 to 5k words. We like to
    work with original stories, but reprints are OK if the author still
    holds the rights. The main point is to be funny.''
  Compensation: Payment for first time publication will be 1 cent a
    word (and a one copy). Payment for reprints is two copies.
  Rights: (?)
  Comments: ``We're more likely to buy something that's consistently
    funny over something that's acceptable to all audiences.'' E-mail
    submissions preferred.
  Contact: [email-masked] (Co-Editors: Alexandra Zale, 
    Devon Tavern)

- The Blind Spot

  Type: small press 'zine (?)
  Content: Duke's fantasy, SF, and horror fiction. 10K words or
    less. Artwork.
  Compensation: $10 plus contributors copies.
  Rights: (?)
  Contact: [email-masked] (Andy Whitfield)

- Circlet Press

  Type: small press 'zine, published anthologies (?)
  Content: Erotic science fiction and fantasy. Short stories
    primarily under 10K words. Anthologies. Other subcategories.
  Compensation: half-cent per word. Royalties for single-author 
    anthologies negotiated on cases by case basis. 
  Rights: one-time anthology rights.
  Comments: Write for guidelines or booklist. Query first.
  Contact: [email-masked]

- Claustrophobia

  Type: small press newsletter
  Content: social issues, privacy (?)
  Compensation: no money, but `credit, exposure, samples for 
    portfolio'
  Rights: nonsimultaneous publication.
  Contact: [email-masked]

- CONNECT

  Type: small press magazine
  Content: ``Covering the major commercial online services,
    Internet/Usenet and smaller Bulletin Board System networks, CONNECT
    focuses on telecommunications from a user-oriented perspective.''
  Compensation: ``Authors are paid a flat rate of $75 for
    mini-reviews. Authors are paid between $100 and $300 for feature
    articles, depending on the length, subject matter and newsworthiness
    of the article. The longer the article and the more complex the
    subject matter, typically, the more the payment for the
    submission.''
  Rights: (?)
  Comments: seeks articles and reviews.
  Contact: [email-masked]

- CYBERSPACE VANGUARD

  Type: electronic magazine
  Content: ``News and Views of the Science Fiction and Fantasy
    Universe carries interviews, feature articles, and lots'o'news on
    current happenings on the science fiction, fantasy, animation, and
    comics genres.''
  Compensation: ``Right now we cannot pay our writers, but we are trying
    to line up a publisher for a paper version, and once that happens we
    will be attempting to pay people.''
  Rights: ``We "buy" one-time rights, but the remuneration policy may
    change at any time.''
  Comments: ``We are seeking articles and interviews from writers who
    can be fun without being long-winded. Write for guidelines, but in
    the meantime a query is preferred to an article.'' See
    etext.archive.umich.edu: /pub/Zines/Cyberspace.Vanguard for past
    issues.
  Contact: Submissions should be send to [email-masked].
    Other correspondence should be sent to [email-masked].

- FringeWare Review

  Type: electronic magazine
  Content: ``Our centroid (th/m)eme [is] "Building Community around a
    Fringe Marketplace'' ``sidebars, tutorials, interviews and reviews,
    with tasty, mind-twisting fiction as synthesis''
  Compensation: ``We pay up to US$0.03 per word plus byline and two
    copies of each issue in which you appear. We pay the full amount for
    work we choose to run which: (a) hasn't appeared elsewhere, (b) fits
    within our issues' themes, (c) and meets word count criteria; also,
    you must provide an email address for the byline. Otherwise, we'll
    negotiate. We pay US$20 per page for artwork and comix, or do
    trade-outs as mentioned above. In the case of comix, we do not need
    the work to be first run.''
  Rights: (?)
  Comments: ``We limit our magazine to 48 pages, at least 35% of
    which contains catalog, subvertising, editorials, letters and
    administrivia, so writers only have 25-odd pages, less artwork and
    comix, in which to express their collective brilliance. We seek
    terse, opinionated, first-person, active-voice, period.''
  Contact: <[email-masked]>

- GRIST

  Type: electronic magazine
  Content:  a magazine of poetry, prose, essays and articles
  Compensation: (?)
  Rights: (?)
  Comments: Well-crafted prose, experimental prose, discussions of
    network prose, interactive/collaborative language, all considered
    and solicited for publication. FTP or Gopher to
    etext.archive.umich.edu/pub/Poetry/Grist
  Contact: mail subscriptions and work submissions to
    <[email-masked]>.

- InterText

  Type: bi-monthly electronic fiction magazine
  Content: Short stories primarily under 15,000 words, though
    exceptions can be made. Not genre-specific -- stories from all
    genres welcome. Write for guidelines if needed.
  Compensation: publication & exposure to ~3000 subscribers on 
    6 continents.
  Rights: One-time publication; all copyrights revert to authors
    immediately.
  Comments: FTP to network.ucsd.edu (128.54.16.3) in /intertext Or
    Gopher to ocf.berkeley.edu in OCF On-Line Library -> Fiction ->
    InterText On the World-Wide Web, point your WWW browser to
    file://network.ucsd.edu/intertext/other_formats/HTML/ITtoc.html
  Contact: <[email-masked]> Editor: Jason Snell 

- The Lighthouse

  Type: monthly magazine, email version
  Content: focuses on various forms of contemporary Christian music
    (Rock to Rap to Metal to Adult Contemporary to Alternative to
    Dance). Artist spotlights and album reviews. The ministry of
    Christian music.
  Compensation: `A BIG thank you'
  Rights: no exclusive rights requested
  Comments: write for more details and text-only email version.
  Contact: [email-masked]

- OtherRealms

  Type: Science Fiction/Fantasy Reviewzine
  Content: ``50% Reviews of SF/F. 30% other non-fiction about SF/F.
    20% commentary and other interesting stuff at whim of editor.''
  Compensation: contributor copy
  Rights: ``one-time non-exclusive rights on reviews. Prefer first
    rights on other material, but we can talk.''
  Comments: ``preferred review length 500-1000 words. Criticism
    accepted, but it better be well-written and well-informed. Send
    reviews directly. Query on all other material (and read the zine
    first to get a feel for what I'm looking for. Published
    approximately twice a year (with no electronic edition). Sample
    issues on request.''
  Contact: [email-masked]

- Paladin Science Fiction Group

  Type: anthologies and novels
  Content: ``Fiction anthologies in science fiction, fantasy, and
    horror for mature readers; erotic science fiction, fantasy, and
    horror for adult readers. Length: supershort to novella. Maximum 10K
    words. Novels in science fiction, fantasy and horror 40K-60K words
    for general to mature audience.''
  Compensation: One cent per word, two copies for poetry.
  Rights: (?)
  Comments: Do not submit without reading guidelines first. Both
    electronic queries and simultaneous submissions OK. No electronic
    submissions in North America.
  Contact: S G Johnson <[email-masked]>

- Quanta

  Type: online magazine
  Content: `science fiction by amateur and professional authors around
    the world and across the net.'
  Compensation: publication & exposure to ~2200 subscribers
  Rights: (?)
  Comments: ASCII and Postcript versions. See ftp.eff.org:
    /journals/Quanta
  Contact: submissions to <[email-masked]>.

- Sixth Dragon (prev. Mushroom Opera)
  
  Type: student-run magazine published twice a year at Michigan State 
    U. at Lansing
  Content: generally science fiction and fantasy 
  Compensation: contibutor's copy
  Rights: (?)
  Contact: David Scott Martin <[email-masked]> or
    <[email-masked]>

- Sound News and Arts

  Type: local small press 'zine
  Content: ``Accept writing of ALL types, mainly about arts, music and 
    interviews with interesting and innovative people.  Also accept 
    poetry, short stories and artwork. SOUND is a local publication and 
    is pretty open content-wise.  Geared toward the younger, more 
    energetic crowd.''
  Compensation: ``No payment as of yet (save for a few free issues), 
    planned payment in late '93.''
  Rights: (?)
  Comments: uuencoded or FTPed submissions to sunsite.unc.edu in the
    /pub/multimedia/pictures/OTIS/Incoming directory). Submissions
    should be in ASCII text format (or TIF, GIF or JPEG for pictures.
  Contact: [email-masked] (or [email-masked])

- The TRINCOLL JOURNAL
 
  Type: liberal Arts Multimedia Magazine 
  Content: The TRINCOLL Journal is a liberal Arts Multimedia Magazine
    created by students from Trinity College in Hartford Connecticut.
    The Journal is a weekly publication with its writing and art work
    created by readers from around the world.
  Compensation: (?)
  Rights: (?)
  Comments: To view the Journal use your favorite WWW browser to open
    a URL to: http://www.trincoll.edu/homepage.html FTP:
    troy.trincoll.edu /pub/incoming/TrincollJournal
    sumex-aim.stanford.edu /info-mac/per
  Contact: <[email-masked]> Peter Adams, Paul Tedesco Editors

- Wilde Oaks

  Type: literary journal
  Content: South Bay (San Jose, CA) Lesbian and Gay Community Center
    literary journal. Accepts fiction (less than 6K words preferred),
    prose, poety, photography, and artwork from gay, Lesbian, bisexual,
    transgender, or supportive people. Erotica is okay, but no
    pornography. Submission guidelines are available.
  Compensation: One contributor copy
  Rights: One-time publication rights
  Contact: [email-masked] (Jim Drew)

- Writer's Nook News

  Type: national quarterly magazine
  Content: ``dedicated to giving freelance writers specific
    information for their immediate practical use in getting published
    and staying published. It contains news; writing tips; book reviews;
    legislative/tax updates; conference, contest, and market listing;
    and various related topics.''
  Compensation: ``The Nook News pays 6 cents per word on acceptance
    for First North American Serial Rights to short, pithy articles (400
    words max.) on the writing experience.''
  Rights: (?)
  Comments: ``Simultaneous submissions will be rejected. Articles
    must be specific, terse, and contain information my readers can put
    to immediate, practical use. Avoid third person whenever possible.
    Include a short bio (25 words or so, not a resume) with your
    submission.''
  Contact: <[email-masked]> (Eugene Ortiz, Publisher)

- WIRED

  Type: monthly national magazine
  Content: Cutting edge computer technology, `techno-culture
    and hardware' (?)
  Compensation: (?)
  Rights: (?)
  Comments: Write for guidelines.
  Contact: [email-masked], [email-masked]

MCI Magazine Addresses
======================

The following entries were retreived from the public MCI electronic
yellow pages. They are being included in this FAQ with *no* prior
warning to the publishers. The FAQ author has emailed a few of them with
no result. `Your mileage may vary.' The author would greatly like to
receive more information (contents, compensation, rights, comments) on
these outlets to move the entries into the previous section, and hear of
any `success stories' in receiving *any* response (even simple
submission guidelines) from these addresses.

  To send mail to these addresses from the internet, use the form
  [x]@mcimail.com where [x] is the ID given below. DO NOT INCLUDE THE
  HYPHEN in the address.

(Generated ~8/93)

`MAGAZINE' search

           MCI ID   Name                       Organization    Location
           596-6620 Avionics Magazine          Avionics Magazi Potomac, MD
           371-5189 Biotechnology Magazine     Nature Publishi New York, NY
           250-0135 BYTE Magazine                              Peterborough, N
           411-2547 C Magazine                 Softbank Corp   JAPAN
           323-9250 CIO Magazine               CIO Magazine    Framingham, MA
           379-1932 Computer Graphics World Ma Computer Graphi Westford, MA
           324-3008 Computer Shopper Magazine  Computer Shoppe Titusville, FL
           393-3639 ComputerLand Magazine                      Pleasanton, CA
           339-5237 CPI Purchasing Magazine    Cahners Publish Newton, MA
           280-8275 Data Based Advisor Magazin Data Based Advi San Diego, CA
           416-2157 Data Communications Magazi McGraw Hill     New York, NY
           335-7244 DBMS Magazine              DBMS/PCA        San Mateo, CA
           477-1898 Dyna Magazine              Softbank Corpor JAPAN
           391-5774 EDN Magazine               EDN Magazine    BLANK
           427-6021 Electronic Products Magazi Electronic Prod Garden City, NY
           582-3736 Epicurean Magazine         Epicurean Magaz San Fernand, CA
           601-1044 Food Product Design Magazi Food Product De Northbrook, IL
           312-3728 Foreign Policy Magazine    Foreign Policy  Washington, DC
           313-3729 Foreign Policy Magazine    Foreign Policy  Washington, DC
           598-8565 Fortune Magazine           Fortune Magazin San Francis, CA
           442-3685 Frequent Flyer Magazine    Frequent Flyer  New York NY
           312-4471 IN Magazine                MCIC            Washington DC
           319-3071 Interior Design Magazine   Interior Design New York, NY
           376-9627 Interiors Magazine         Interiors Magaz New York, NY
    REMOTE 567-3913 LAN Magazine               Computer Pubs   AUSTRALIA
           503-2941 Laser Focus World Magazine Laser Focus Wor Westford, MA
           422-5920 MacUser Magazine           MacUser         Foster City CA
           355-9510 Maintenance Technology Mag Maintenance Tec Barrington, IL
           564-3622 Metroland Magazine         Metroland Magaz Albany, NY
           387-0963 Modern Motor Magazine      Modern Motor Ma Australia
           445-5851 NewMedia Magazine                          San Mateo, CA
           318-3782 Omni Magazine                              New York, NY
           468-2934 Packaging Magazine         Cahners Publish Des Plaines IL
           157-9301 PC Magazine                PC Magazine     New York, NY
           447-7466 Popular Science Magazine   Popular Science New York Ny
           413-3658 Prepared Foods Magazine    Prepared Foods  Chicago, IL
           392-5775 Purchasing Magazine        Purchasing Maga BLANK
           514-3313 Risk Magazine Ltd.         Risk Magazine L Chicago, IL
           500-0238 Sail Magazine              Cahners         Newton MA
           317-3309 Smithsonian Magazine       Smithsonian Mag Washington, DC
           277-9362 Software Magazine          Software Magazi Westboro, MA
           556-3896 Solutions PC Magazine      PC Magazine     New York NY
           103-5034 Teleconnect Magazine                       New York, NY
           494-4254 Telephony Magazine                         Chicago, IL
           402-6156 The Kfar Chabad Weekly Mag Tzeirei Chabad  ISRAEL
           519-6247 Treasury Magazine          Treasury Magazi Boston, MA
           380-3905 Turbo Magazine             Kipp E. Kington Huntington Beac
           424-1434 Variety Magazine           Variety Magazin Lakebluff IL

`PUBLISHING' search

           MCI ID   Name                       Organization    Location
           527-0613 A I Publishing             A I Publishing  Japan
           586-1732 American International Pub American Int'l  Harrison, NY
           471-0440 Axel Springer Japan Publis                 Tokyo
           543-0709 Bloc Publishing            Bloc Publishing Coral Gables, F
           561-9762 Brana Publishing           Brana Publishin Pacific Pal, CA
           594-5629 Cardmember Publishing Corp                 Stamford, CT
           531-2388 CFO Publishing Corp.       CFO Publishing  Boston, MA
           583-9841 Clark Publishing Inc.      Clark Publishin Lexington, KY
           458-2083 Cowles Publishing Company  Cowles Publishi Spokane, WA
           589-5427 First Image Demand Publish                 Norcross, GA
           572-8673 HHO Publishing             HHO Publishing  Los Angeles, CA
           220-0783 Hitchcock Publishing Co.   Hitchcock Publi Carol Stream IL
           497-2767 Hortideas Publishing                       Gravel Switch
           581-6677 Indemp Publishing          Indemp Publishi Casa Grande, AZ
           294-3992 Information Publishing Cor Info Publishing Houston, TX
           293-5313 Isthmus Publishing Company Isthmus Publish Madison, WI
           422-1911 Kluwer Academic Publishing Kluwer Academic Norwell, MA
           266-2543 Kohgaku-Sha Publishing Co. Kohgaku-Sha Pub JAPAN
           380-2809 Laurin Publishing Co., Inc Laurin Publishi Pittsfield, MA
           583-5230 Linmore Publishing Inc.    Linmore Publish Barrington, IL
           399-2652 Macmillan Computer Publish Macmillan Compu Carmel, IN
           452-8706 Malakoff Publishing        Malakoff Publis Shepherdstown
           605-4375 Meister Publishing         Meister Publish Willoughby, OH
           273-9287 M.M. Cole Publishing Co.   M.M. Cole Publi Chicago, IL
           557-0450 Mondadori Publishing       Mondadori Publi New York, NY
           294-3756 M&T Publishing             Administration  Redwood City
           292-3754 M&T Publishing             Pete May        Redwood City
           489-8359 Nelson Publishing                          Nokomis, FL
           350-9803 Olympia Publishing, Inc.   Olympia Publish Little Rock, AR
           332-7597 Phillips Publishing        -               Potomac, MD
           542-5761 Phillips Publishing        Phillips Publis Potomac, MD
           245-8579 Pinpoint Publishing        PINPOINT Publis Glen Ellen, CA
           602-7175 Pinpoint Publishing                        Santa Rosa, CA
           533-8478 PRENTICE HALL COMPUTER PUB PRENTICE HALL C CARMEL, IN
           297-6976 Roger Wagner Publishing. I Roger Wagner Pu Santee, CA
           340-4180 Rush Franklin Publishing   Rush Franklin P Douglaston, NY
           289-9011 Software Publishing Corpor P.R. Dept.      Mt. View
           273-0600 Software Publishing Corpor Quarterly Rept. Mt. View CA
           264-0158 Software Publishing Corpor Software Publ   Mt. View
           566-5907 Spencer & Associates Publi Spencer & Assoc Melville, NY
           426-7566 Step-By-Step Publishing                    PEORIA, IL
           586-7891 Surburban Publishing       Surburban       Wayne, PA
           493-3568 The Wichita Eagle & Beacon                 Wichita, KS
           581-5678 Troy Publishing            Troy Publishing Troy, NY
           559-7594 UpClose Publishing                         El Granola, CA
           509-3687 Walsworth Publishing Co.,                  Marcelini, MO
           240-3935 West Publishing Company    St. Paul        Eagan, MN
           241-3936 West Publishing Company    St. Paul        Eagan, MN
           242-3940 West Publishing Company    St. Paul        Eagan, MN
           243-3938 West Publishing Company    St. Paul        Eagan, MN
           243-3941 West Publishing Company    St. Paul        Eagan, MN
           244-3942 West Publishing Company    St. Paul        Eagan, MN
           245-3927 West Publishing Company    St. Paul        Eagan, MN
           245-3930 West Publishing Company    St. Paul        Eagan, MN
           246-3928 West Publishing Company    St. Paul        Eagan, MN
           247-3932 West Publishing Company    St. Paul        Eagan, MN
           248-3933 West Publishing Company    St. Paul        Eagan, MN
           249-3918 West Publishing Company    St. Paul        Eagan, MN
           273-5540 West Publishing Company    Schoolbooks     St. Paul, MN
           284-6776 West Publishing Company    West Publishing St. Paul, MN
           314-0105 West Publishing Company    West Services,  Seattle, WA
           326-8021 West Publishing Company    COP-Collections St. Paul, MN
           543-3405 Western Publishing                         Racine, WI
           218-4001 WGE Publishing, Inc.                       Hancock, NH
           173-2546 Wordware Publishing, Inc.  Wordware Publis Plano, TX
           350-2648 Ziff Davis Publishing      PC Computing    Boston, MA

`PRESS' search

           MCI ID   Name                       Organization    Location
           597-3297 Capra Press                Capra Press     Santa Barba, CA
           259-0558 Clarity Press, Inc.                        Atlanta, GA
           593-8735 Daily Press                Dow Jones & Co, NEWPORT NEWS, V
           507-9207 Global Financial Press     Global Financia NY, NY
           403-1178 Gum Tree Press             Cowles Magazine Unionville PA
           582-3930 Islamorada Free Press      Islamorada Free Islamorada, FL
           584-5231 Long & Strider Press       Long & Strider  Scottsdale, AZ
           574-6460 Magnetic Press, Inc.       Magnetic Press  New York, NY
           587-6181 Micro Pro Litera Press     Micro Pro Liter San Francis, CA
           263-5152 Microsoft Press                            Redmond, WA
           381-5247 New York Press             New York Press  New York, NY
           533-9561 The Mercantile Press, Inc. Mercantile Pres Wilmington, DE
           595-4427 TRAPLESS SANDS PRESS       TRAPLESS SANDS  PALO ALTO, CA
           295-9492 University of California P University of C Berkeley, CA
           517-0393 Western Computer Press                     Tualatin, OR
           546-5105 Westview Press                             Boulder, CO

A Note to Writers
=================

Email submissions have many advantages. In addition to the fast and
reliable transmission, the editor may give more rapid turnaround to
email inquiries. The opportunity for writer-editor communication and
feedback is increased. The ability to find the specific outlet for a
particular piece is improved. Also, in comparison to the telephone,
people can read their mail whenever they want instead of at random
interruptions. They can measure their responses carefully and archive
them for future reference. For submissions, the intermediate step of
rekeying typewritten text is largely eliminated.

Please treat this capability of email submission with the utmost
respect. If you abuse it you may jeopardize your own and fellow writer's
future opportunities. An editor may decide capriciously that only junk
comes in electronically, and ignore or remove the capability. Or, the
editor may pay special attention to all the gems of articles that can be
discovered and polished there. Always treat the editor with kind regard.
If an article is rejected, simply resubmit elsewhere, make changes, or
abandon it. The email address is *not* a hotline to flame or harass
editors.

Whenever you hear of a new address, please inform the author of this
list. You do not gain anything by withholding it from your fellow
writers. Everyone benefits when the list is thorough and complete. A
comprehensive list of outlets encourages competition between them for
your writing based on rights and remuneration policies, similar to an
electronic Yellow Pages.

Also, feel free to approach editors you know about the idea of setting
up the service of internet email submission addresses. Tell them that
their competitors have set up the system and that there are many
potential benefits, perhaps ultimately eliciting improved reader
satisfaction and interest.

A Note to Editors
=================

From the current perspective, you are in one of two categories: a
backward Luddite or a visionary pioneer, depending on whether you have
never heard of internet email or are utilizing it and supporting
submissions through it. (That is a joke.) Sincerely however, in the near
future conducting writing transactions over the internet may become the
medium of choice for many markets. Of course, there are disadvantages
along with the grand incentives to support this capability. Many editors
however have found the ability to receive submissions and queries via
email to be immensely valuable in cultivating future issues' articles.
In some cases, you may be competing with them directly for knowledgeable
and interesting articles and writers. If a writer sees two outlets with
similar content but one with more ideal rights or remuneration
arrangements, which will s/he submit to?

The author of this list strongly encourages you to support and solicit
articles via email. It may allow you to interact and direct your writers
more effectively and less stressfully. It may allow you to improve the
quality of submissions by expanding the available pool and increasing
the target and focus of individual pieces. Ultimately it may make you
more responsive to readers than your competition. Potentially, both the
writer, editor, and reader benefit from the dynamic arrangement. All
this is written in speculative terms, however, because it is not
guaranteed. You may find that irrelevant or useless queries increase,
but even so a wider selection pool may render that unproblematic.

A Vision of the Future
======================
(By L. Detweiler)

I wrote this FAQ for a variety of reasons. The Internet has completely
exploded into the collective human psyche and it is radically altering
the realm of writing, and writing for money. It is clear that Cyberspace
offers unprecedented opportunity for *everyone* to profit from writing
and editing, not just a anointed elite clique as is often the case in
many existing publishing structures. This threat to the status quo
upsets many. But to me the bottom line is that the quality of writing
available to the consumer (the reader) is ultimately going to improve,
and the cost of that quality is going to decrease, and selling writing
will be more accessable and profitable for everyone who truly has 
something valuable to offer.

But the definition of `valuable' is going to be upheaved and
revolutionized over the next few years. I feel very strongly that a
certain kind of `parasitism' whereby a middleman takes advantage of a
writer, reselling the `product' without adding any value himself, is
going to become a much more difficult or even impossible niche in the
future cyberspatial society, because all writers will have available
their *own* unparalleled publishing capabilities.

I think we are entering an age where *everyone* will be able to run
their own publishing stations at home (sort of like FTP sites but far
less complicated!) -- they will become perhaps as common as answering
machines. And a structure to allow for transparent, seamless, painless
transaction charges will evolve very soon as well. And ultimately, this
was partly the motivation in writing this FAQ-- to encourage everyone to
market their writing independent of people who seek to take advantage of
them by denigrating, underpaying, monopolizing, and diminishing their
choice of outlets. I seek to advance this vision of the future where
everyone who can type can `publish'.

Some people think, or fear, that the role of the writing `middleman' is
threatened to the point of extinction. But I must emphasize that most
existing editors, critics, proofreaders, etc. *do* add value to writing
and deserve to be rewarded and sought by the better writers. In fact, I
think these future developments in Cyberspace will also help to
separate, more than ever before, the parasites from the truly talented
artists (writers) and `meta-artists' (critics, proofreaders, editors,
etc.) by rewarding the latter beyond their wildest dreams and making the
former an unprofitable and untenable existence. Cyberspace is going to
revolutionize publishing *more* than the printing press did, and in
amazingly similar ways.

One example of this emerging egalitarianism and populism in 
cyberspatial writing is in the explosion of electronic `zines'. While
generally of marginal quality compared to more sophisticated outlets,
some 'zines have built up immensely prestigious reputations and quality
of editing and writing surpassing many paper-published journals. This
trend will continue until an entire spectrum (a sort of `food chain')
of magazines will exist in cyberspace from the lowliest free, irregularly
published, slapped-together paragraphs to the most professional, slick,
typeset, paying, even advertising- and subscription-based outlets all 
coexist.

The FAQ as the Future
=====================
(By L. Detweiler)

An interesting form of cyberspatial writing has existed for essentially
as long as Usenet and continues to gain momentum and prestige, and may
be the bridge to the vision of the future I have written about above.
The Frequently Asked Question List, or FAQ, a document designed to
answer questions that pop up on newsgroups to decrease the annoyance
factor in reading them, started out as not even something that was ever
archived at a public site-- FAQs were just regularly posted by their
authors. (A regular Usenet posting itself represents different kind of
publishing that is unique to cyberspace-- somewhat reminiscent of the
way an electron beam of a television set displays a picture by
continually retracing it.) But FAQs have evolved into extremely
sophisticated collections of information on virtually any subject,
becoming highly refined over many years and in involving whole
hierarchies of teams and editors. A FAQ is even superior to many other
types of static collections of writing in this way-- they are far more
valuable (but also sometimes more difficult to keep track of) because
they are continually updated.

The most important new development in FAQ writing is that of the
`commercial factor'. Buried in that phrase are many multifaceted pots of
gold, but also many bugaboos. Very soon, the Internet will have a
standard for mercantile commerce, and some FAQs will be one of the first
pieces of the pie to be commercialized. I foresee some great, wrenching
upheavals in the FAQ structures as the forces of `volunteerism' and
`entrepreneurialism' meet face to face. I believe that a certain
percentage of all FAQs, which in many ways are a microcosm of the
Internet, will remain free and maintained by volunteers. But the rewards
to both writers and readers in a fee-based structure for access are
great. For even extremely inconsequential fees to individual readers,
writers could be compensated, rewarded, and encouraged in their writing
quite tangibly. And I believe a commensurate increase in the quality of
the FAQs written by them, for their `consumers', will be quite dramatic.
The FAQ will continue to be at the forefront of cyberspatial writing
frontiers.

I encourage you to read about my CRAM service below involved
`publishing' the collections of others into the FAQ infrastructure. This
removes some of the bothersome overhead to the writer in disseminating
their writing by having an `agent' take care of the details. I have
propagated over a half-dozen different compilations into the FAQ
structure with extremely rewarding benefits to everyone involved. The
writers are quite delighted at the increased exposure and the readers
are quite delighted at running into the quality compilations they might
never have discovered otherwise.

I also urge anyone interested in cyberspatial writing to read the
news.answers FAQ posted to that group and write a FAQ on their favorite
subject of interest if it is not already covered. Even the simple
process of taking existing FAQs and reorganizing them into more useful
collections of information is an extremely valuable service to the net.
Writing a FAQ in many ways is one of the ultimate community services to
your fellow cyberspatial citizens. Just browsing the rtfm.mit.edu
archives is an extremely pleasureable activity.

The FAQ is a beautiful model of the future of writing in cyberspace. As
it exists, the current process on Usenet to submit an `official' FAQ is
far from Herculean and in fact highly accessable to virtually anyone
with a modicum of interest in writing. In fact, the effort is
astonishingly less than that required for that of say, a book, but, with
newsgroup distributions reaching tens of thousands of readers, amazingly
the exposure in many cases can be *greater* than that of a published
book. And this exposure will increase tremendously as cyberspace becomes
more ubiquitous, and I am convinced the `entrance requirements' will
also become even more trivial to pass such that, as I wrote above,
virtually anyone who can write can publish. Even the necessity of owning
a computer is bypassed!

Other Resources
===============

  Newsgroups
  ----------

  alt.cyberpunk.chatsubo
    ``Original science fiction in the Cyberpunk / Shadowrun genre'
    posted for review. Accomplished and beginning writers as well as
    fans. Submissions of stories (any length) or poetry related to
    Cyberpunk themes will get constructive feedback from other writers
    in this style. Interactive stories with other authors a
    possibility.'' (Jay Brandt, FAQ maintainer)

  alt.journalism
    Journalists and journalism students.

  alt.prose, alt.prose.d
    Predecessors to rec.arts.prose, lower distribution. Disscussion in
    alt.prose.d only.

  alt.zines
    `zines' or small low-circulation low-cost newsletters of fringe 
     elements

  misc.writing
    Accomplished and beginning writers. Submissions, queries, markets,
    etc.

  news.answers
    Also alt.answers, comp.answers, misc.answers, etc. The standard
    moderated newsgroups for `approved' or `official' Usenet FAQs.

  rec.arts.prose
    Posted fiction for review. Discussion of posted articles.

  rec.arts.poems
    Posting and discussion of original poetry.

  rec.arts.sf.written
    Written science fiction. Great authors. Writing style. (?)

  rec.mag
    Magazines (?)

  rec.mag.fsfnet
    Fantasy and science fiction discussion, movies and television (?)

  Mailing Lists
  -------------

  - MAGAZINE

    Topics: ``Expert opinion or help from established scholars and
      professionals. Covering the history, current state and future
      prospects of the American Magazine, and issues related to magazine
      publishing. Primary focus is journalistic, but also addresses
      other magazine-publishing matters of economic (management,
      marketing, circulation, production, research), technological,
      historical and social importance.''
    Subscription: send JOIN MAGAZINE <YourFirstName> <YourLastName> in 
      message body to <[email-masked]> or (BITNET) 
      <[email-masked]>
    Moderator: David Abrahamson <[email-masked]>

  - Small Press Mailing List

    Topics: ``Concerns of authors and editors involved with the small
      press, both of books and of magazines. Printers and services,
      announcements, calls for submissions, bookstores, discussion of
      acceptance and rejections, book and signing events,readings, `war
      stories', advice for writers, editors, self-publishers.''
    Subscription: send your human-readable *request* to join or leave
      to <[email-masked]>. *Posts* to the list go to
      <[email-masked]>.
    Moderator: <[email-masked]> (Cecilia M Tan)

  - Writer's Workshop
    
    Topics: ``Although started for discussion of writing,
      submissions, critiques, various mind-joggers, and exercises also
      are passed among the participants. All postings are archived and
      available to participants.''
    Subscription: The workshop is self-serve - send email to 
      <[email-masked]> (or <[email-masked]>) with the 
      message SUBSCRIBE WRITERS <yourfirstname> <yourlastname>.

  - Fiction and Writing lists

    Topics: Fiction Writers Workshop. Fiction list is for submissions
      and critiques, Writing list is for general discussions, new member
      introductions, and announcements of various sorts. Tone is
      professional. Most members actually pursue publication. Usually in
      science fiction or fantasy genres.
    Subscription: send mail to [email-masked], `subscribe 
      <listname> <yourfirstname> <yourlastname>' where <listname> is
      `fiction', `writing', `novels-l'. For the nonfiction list send
      `subscribe nfictn-l <yourfirstname> <yourlastname> to 
      [email-masked].
    Posting: [email-masked], [email-masked]. Also,
      <[email-masked]> for novels and and non-fiction and poetry
      <[email-masked]>.

  - Poetry list

    Topics: ``This list is designed to be a forum where original
      poetry (either complete or in progress) may be posted by members
      interested in critique-style discussion, examination, and analysis
      of their work. ...It is assumed that all members will at some
      point post an original piece, and not merely assume an exclusively
      responsive role.''
    Subscription: send mail to [email-masked], `subscribe
      poetry <yourfirstname> <yourlastname>'.
    Posting: <[email-masked]>

  - Screen Writing Discussion List

    Topics: ``a discussion list of the joy and challenge of screen
      writing for film and TV ... Any topic of interest to writers or
      potential writers is appropriate (i.e. format, story ideas,
      dialogue, characters, agents, producers, directors, actors,
      studios, problems and/or solutions).''
    Subscription: send mail to [email-masked], `subscribe
      scrnwrit <yourfirstname> <yourlastname>'.
    Posting: <[email-masked]>

  - Creative Writing Pedagogy for Teachers and Students

    Topics: ``a place to discuss how and why creative writing is being
      taught at colleges and universities, including the role it plays
      in the curriculum, the history of creative writing programs, the
      shape and flavor of creative writing courses, and the influence
      it has or should have on students' lives''
    Subscription: send mail to [email-masked], `subscribe
      crewrt-l <yourfirstname> <yourlastname>'.
    Posting: <[email-masked]>

  - Megabyte University

    Topics: ``an unarchived list primarily for professors, teachers,
      graduate students and administrators involved in teaching
      composition using computers.topics of discussion have included
      software descriptions and comparisons for use in teaching
      composition, determining real audience for composition students,
      and announcements of upcoming conferences, both actual and
      virtual. Many of the members of this list also participate in the
      MediaMOO weekly online conferences and other activities''
    Subscription: send mail to [email-masked], `subscribe
      MBU-L <yourfirstname> <yourlastname>'.
    Posting: <[email-masked]>
    Moderator: Fred Kemp

  - The Composition Digest

    Topics: ``a weekly newsgroup for the study of computers and writing,
      specifically writing instruction in computer based classrooms."
    Subscription: send mail to [email-masked], `subscribe
      COMPOS01 <yourfirstname> <yourlastname>'.
    Posting: <[email-masked]>
    
  - Purdue Rhetoric

    Topics: ``Rhetoric, Professional Writing, and Language Discussion
      Group - a scholarly forum for discussion of rhetoricand
      composition, professional writing, and language research.
    Subscription: send mail to [email-masked], `subscribe
      PURTOPOI <yourfirstname> <yourlastname>'.
    Posting: <[email-masked]>

  - English Forum

    Topics: ``An archived discussion forum on electronic
      communication in instruction and research of English, writing, and
      literature.''
    Subscription: send mail to [email-masked], `subscribe
      ENGLMU-L <yourfirstname> <yourlastname>'.
    Posting: <[email-masked]>

  - WIOLE

    Topics: Writing Intensive Online Learning Environment, an archived
      list for writing instructors.
    Subscription: send mail to [email-masked], `subscribe
      WIOLE-L <yourfirstname> <yourlastname>'.
    Posting: <[email-masked]>
     
  - Writing Center

    Topics: ``A discussion list for directors of academic writing
      centers, including evaluating software for writing instruction,
      use of tutors, and other issues specific to writing centers.''
    Subscription: send mail to [email-masked], `subscribe
      W-CENTER <yourfirstname> <yourlastname>'.
    Posting: <[email-masked]>

  FTP sites
  ---------

    A large collection of electronic `zines' and other miscellaneous 
    electronic text files can be found on the University of Michigan 
    archives, etext.archive.umich.edu.

    Other writing-related FAQs can be found on rtfm.mit.edu:
    /pub/usenet/news.answers/writing. The FAQ site is also an
    outstanding collection of highly refined writing by `amatures' on
    virtually any topic, highly accessable to both readers and writers.
    The FAQ maintainers mailing list is available by request to
    [email-masked].

  Miscellaneous
  -------------

    A more accurate list of electronic `zines' is posted intermittently
    to alt.mag, alt.zines, posted by John Labovitz <[email-masked]>.
    See netcom.com:/pub/johnl/zines/e-zine-list (most recent) or
    rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/writing/zines.

    ``Electronic Writers' Workshops and Online Education in Creative
    Writing'' (Bowers & Butcher, 1993) is available from gwuvm.gwu.edu:
    /WRITERS.RESOURC. Compilation of resources for writers and for
    writing teachers on the national network services, part 1. Part 2,
    virtual classrooms and tools for collaborative writing projects.
    Part 3, `a new breed of literatary magazines that are written,
    published, and read exclusively by network users...finding a
    readership beyond the best hopes of many professional and academic
    literatary magazines' editors.' Part 4, copyrights, what constitutes
    publication in the electronic realm, antidotes to `remarkable
    examples of misinformation'.

CRAM: the Cyberspatial Reality Advancement Movement
====

In an effort to bring valuable information to the masses, and as a
service to motivated information compilers, I (L. Detweiler) will help
others unfamiliar with Usenet `publish' their documents for widespread
dissemination via the FAQ structure, and act as a `sponsor' knowledgable
in the submissions process. This document is being distributed under
this arrangement.

I have found these compilations tend to appear on various mailing lists
and are valuable enough to deserve wider distribution. If you know of an
existing compilation of Internet information that is not currently a
FAQ, please contact me and I may `sponsor' it. The benefits to the
author include:

- use of the existing FAQ infrastructure for distribution:
  - automated mail server service
  - FTP archival
  - automated posting

- a far wider audience that can improve the quality, accuracy,
  and coverage of the document enormously through email 
  feedback

- potential professional inquiries for the use of your 
  document in other settings, such as newsletters, books, 
  etc.

- with me as your sponsor, I will also take care of the 
  technicalities in the proper format of the posted version 
  and updating procedures, leaving you free of the `overhead' 
  to focus on the basic updates alone

The choice of who I `sponsor' is entirely arbitrary. You always
have the option of handling the submission process yourself. 
See the FAQ submission guidlines FAQ in news.answers.

Most Wanted List
================

This list can grow and prosper if you help keep it updated, use the
information herein wisely, and help recruit new sources. Please do
NOT send random editor email addresses unless those editors specifically
approve of advertising them. Currently most wanted:

- More popular newstand magazines, esp. paying ones. Asimov's, Analog,
  etc.
- Old discussion on MAGAZINE email list about email submission 
  addresses.
- More HTML magazines like GNN and Trincoll.
- FTP sites.
- any elaboration on places with `(?)'

When submitting updates to the list, PLEASE include all known
information in the categories recorded. That is: email address,
description of the general content of the outlet, remuneration policies,
and the rights involved. The editor of this list prefers outlets that
are `well established' and are not likely to disappear. Also, another
list by J. Labovitz better tracks electronic `zines'. See `Other
Resources' above.

Send comments to <[email-masked]>.

Credits
=======

Special thanks to the following people for contributing especially 
valuable information to this list:

Kyle Conway <[email-masked]>
Ed Stastny <[email-masked]>
Cecilia M Tan <[email-masked]>
David Abrahamson <[email-masked]>
Laura Packard <[email-masked]>
John Bowers <[email-masked]>
Chuq Von Rospach <[email-masked]>

Special thanks to the forward-seeing editors who have the patience,
vision, and expertise to support email submissions.

Change History
==============

  v2.0 (1/94)

    `A Vision of the Future' inspired partly by Chuq Von Rospach
    hostility in email. `CRAM' and `FAQ of the Future' added. Alternate
    Hilarities (Tales Twice Told), OtherRealms, Intertext, Trincoll
    Journal, Writer's Nook News added. Mailing list entries modified to
    indicate list address vs. subscription addresses (apologies for
    inconvenience, but blame J.B. :).

  v1.3 (11/93)

    Grist addition. Fix of the Lansing vs. Ann Arbor (thanks many 
    people!) Fringware Review. Fiction & Writing lists. Bowers papers
    on cyberspatial writing resources FTP pointers (highly recommended).
    Poetry list. Screen Writing list. Creative Writing Pedagogy list.
    Megabyte University. Composition Digest list. Purdue Rhetoric list.
    Writing Intensive Online Learning Environment list. Writing Center
    list. (New mailing lists added are from Bowers paper, thanks!)

  v1.2 (9/93)

    MCI Mail magazine addresses included. Posting frequency changed.
    Glitch that posted to `misc.writers' oblivion instead of 
    `misc.writing'.

  v1.1 (8/93)

    Writer's Workshop list, Cyberspace Vanguard added.

  v1.0 (8/93)

    Wilde Oakes, Lighthouse added. Posted to *.answers groups & 
    archived at rtfm.mit.edu.

  v0.6 (8/93)
    
    Added `rights,' `comments,' `type' categories.  Reordered 
    list categories. Added small-press list.  Paladin and Circlet added.

  v0.5 (7/93)

    Basics of email address, newsgroup list, editor & writer notices, 
    submission protocol, etc. in place after initial query on 
    misc.writing.

Distribution
============

  FTP
  ---
    This FAQ is available from the standard FAQ server rtfm.mit.edu via 
    FTP in the file /pub/usenet/news.answers/writing/resources

  Email
  -----
    Email requests for FAQs go to [email-masked] with commands 
    on lines in the message body, e.g. `help' and `index'.

  Usenet
  ------
    This FAQ is posted every 21 days to the groups misc.writing,
    rec.arts.prose,rec.arts.sf.written,misc.answers,rec.answers,
    news.answers.

--

[email-masked]