Subject: Linux Bibliography, v0.99p2 :-)
From: "James H. Haynes" <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce,comp.os.linux.help

The Linux Bibliography
By James H. Haynes <[email-masked]>

The following is not meant to be a comprehensive Unix
bibliography.  For that, see the Unix book list posted periodically
to misc.books.technical and to several comp.unix newsgroups.  This
list is meant to be supplemental, containing items of special interest
and importance for Linux workers (or 386BSD people - whatever turns you on).

Comments not in quotes below are mine.  Comments sent in by others are
in quotes, and have the name of the commentor in square brackets.

Please send additions, corrections, and comments to [email-masked].
Jim Haynes, Computer Center, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA  95064

I. Hardware

   Upgrading and Repairing PCs; Mueller, Scott; Que Corp.; ISBN 0-88022-856-3;
   1298pp; 1992; $34.95 (USA).  This is a book I bought when I was struggling
   with an AT-clone.  It is best on XTs and ATs and IBM PS/2s.  Still, there
   is a wealth of information common to all models.  EISA and VESA are
   mentioned only in the glossary.

   80386 Hardware Reference Manual; Intel Corp.; ISBN 1-55512-024-5; ?pp.;
   1986; $?.  Pin connections, timing, waveforms, block diagrams, voltages,
   all that kind of stuff.

II. Processor architecture and programming

    80386 Programmer's Reference Manual; Intel Corp.; ISBN 1-55512-022-9;
    ?pp.; 1986; $?.  Part I. Applications Programming, data types, memory
    model, instruction set.  Part II. Systems Programming, architecture,
    memory management, protection, multitasking, I/O, exceptions and
    interrupts, initialization, coprocessing and multiprocessing. Part III.
    Compatibility (with earlier x86 machines).  Part IV. Instruction Set.

    80386 System Software Writer's Guide; Intel Corp.; ISBN 1-55512-023-7;
    ?pp.; 1987; $?.  This explains the 386 features for operating system
    writers.  It includes a chapter on Unix implementation.  A lot of the
    80386 architecture seems to have been designed with Multics in mind;
    the features are not used by DOS or by Unix.

    Programming the 80386; Crawford, John H., and Gelsinger, Patrick P.;
    Sybex; ISBN 0-89588-381-3; 774pp.; $26.95 (USA).  This is the book the
    Jolitzes used when they ported BSD to the 386 architecture.

    Pentium Processor User's Manual: Volume 3, Architecture and Programming
    Manual; Intel Corp.; ISBN 1-55512-195-0; ?pp.; 1993; $?.  Pretty much
    the Pentium version of the 80386 Programmer's manual listed above.

III. Unix Kernel Implementation

     The Design of the Unix Operating System; Bach, Maurice J.; Prentice-
     Hall; ISBN 0-13-201799-7; 470pp.; $60 (USA).  The book that got Linus
     started.

     The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD Unix Operating System;
     Leffler, Samuel J., McKusick, Marshall Kirk, Karels, Michael J., and
     Quarterman, John S.; Addison-Wesley; ISBN 0-201-06196-1; 471 pp.;
     1989, 1990; $44.95 (USA).  So, it's not about Linux, but can you
     afford to ignore it?

     Linux Kernel Hacker's Guide; Johnson, Michael K.; Linux Documentation
     Project; FTP sites (see end of document); 1993.

     Operating Systems, Design and Implementation; Tanenbaum, Andrew S.;
     Prentice-Hall; 1987.  [sugg. by Alan Cox]

     Porting Unix to the 386; Jolitz, William F., and Jolitz, Lynne G.;
     Dr. Dobb's Journal; Jan 1991-July 1992.
     
IV. System Calls

    The Posix.1 Standard: A Programmer's Guide; Zlotnick, Fred; Benjamin/
    Cummings; ISBN 0-8053-9605-5; 379pp.; 1991; $35.95 (USA).  When I
    complained about the lack of Section 2 man pages in Linux, somebody
    told me just to get a POSIX book, because that's what Linux does.
    I like this book because I'm not a professional programmer and the
    author gives copious explanations and examples.  

V. Networking

   Unix Network Programming; Stevens, W. Richard; PTR Prentice Hall;
   ISBN 0-13-949876-1; 772 pp.; $54 (USA).  Everything you might want to
   know about the subject, and some things you probably don't want to
   know (really, XNS!?).

   Linux Networking Guide; Kirch, Olaf; Linux Documentation Project; FTP
   sites (see end of this document); 1993.

   TCP/IP Network Adminstration; Hunt, Craig; O'Reilly Associates;
   ISBN 0-937175-82-X; 1992. [sugg. by Kurt M. Hockenbury]

   Internetworking With TCP/IP: Volume 1, Principles, Protocols, and
   Architecture; Comer, E. Douglas; Prentice-Hall; ISBN 0-13-474321-0;
   2nd ed. [sugg. by Phil Packer]  [Alan Cox suggests all 3 volumes
   in this series] [Somebody else thought the Stevens book was better.]

   Computer Networks (2nd Edition); Tanenbaum, Andrew S.; Prentice Hall;
   1988.  [sugg. by Alan Cox]

VI. General (or hard-to-classify)

   Bell System Technical Journal, July-August 1978, Vol. 57, No. 6, part 2;
   AT&T; 416 pp.  Many papers on Unix, including Ritchie & Thompson,
   "The UNIX Time Sharing System"; Thompson, "UNIX Implementation";
   Ritchie, "A Retrospective"; Bourne, "The UNIX Shell"...

   The Mythical Man Month, Essays on Software Engineering; Brooks, Frederick
   P.; Addison Wesley;  1975.  "This I'd recommend not for its technical
   value but for its application of common sense and reality to computing
   projects." [Alan Cox] (Ah, yes.  What if Linus had been given 200
   programmers and had been told to produce Linux in 3 months!)

VII. System Installation

     Linux Installation and Getting Started; Welsh, Matt; Linux Documentation
     Project; FTP sites (see end of this document); 175 pp.; 1994.

VIII. System Administration

     Linux System Administrator's Guide; Wirzenius, Lars;  Linux
     Documentation Project; FTP sites (see end of document); 1993.

     Essential System Administration; Frisch, Aileen; O'Reilly Associates;
     ISBN 0-937175-80-3; 1991. [sugg. by Kurt M. Hickenbury and Ronald P. 
     Miller] "Good reference for any sysadmin (not just Linux) -- covers
     Sys V, 4.3 BSD, AIX, Xenix in detail.  Accounting, backup & restore,
     intro to security, filesystems, modem/terminal info, intro to TCP/IP,
     printing ... Great appendix on Bourne shell programming." [Miller]

IX. Security

    Practical Unix Security; Garfinkel, Simpson, and Spafford, Gene;
    O'Reilly Associates; ISBN 0-937175-72-2; 1991. [sugg. by Kurt M. 
    Hockenbury and Ronald P. Miller] "Some overlap with Essential System
    Admin., but all in all a solid book on security, especially for those
    aspiring to allow multiple-user, dial-up/net access to their Linux boxes."
    [Miller]

X.  Programming and Programming Languages

    The Unix Programming Environment; Kernighan, Brian, and Pike, Rob;
    Prentice-Hall; ISBN 0-13-937681-X; 1984. [sugg. by Kurt M.
    Hockenbury]

    The C Programming Language; Kernighan, Brian, and Ritchie, Dennis;
    Prentice-Hall; ISBN 0-13-110362-8; 2nd ed. 1988.  [sugg. by Kurt M.
    Hockenbury]

XI. Text Formatting and Typesetting

    The TeXbook, Volume A of Computers and Typesetting; Knuth, Donald A.;
    Addison-Wesley; 1986.  "The definitive user's guide and complete
    reference manual for TeX.  Probably not needed for casual LaTeX use,
    but a fascinating book nonetheless." [Bruce Thompson]

    The METAFONT book, Volume C of Computers and Typesetting; Knuth, Donald
    A.; Addison-Wesley; 1986. "The definitive user's guide and reference
    manual for METAFONT, the companion program to TeX for designing fonts.
    An excellent work if you're planning to design your own fonts for use
    in TeX and LaTeX.  METAFONT is included with the normal TeX/LaTeX
    distribution." [Bruce Thompson]

    LaTeX, A Document Preparation System, User's Guide and Reference
    Manual; Lamport, Leslie; Addison-Wesley; 1985.  "The ultimate
    reference on LaTeX 2.09 by its author.  A new edition covering
    LaTeX2e (the version included in the current TeX/LaTeX distribution)
    is in preparation.  LaTeX 2.09 is fully supported by LaTeX2e.  A
    must for anyone wanting to use LaTeX.  Provides a gentle introduction
    to document preparation and the various tools that LaTeX provides
    for producing professional quality documents.  Lots of examples."
    [Bruce Thompson]

    The LaTeX Companion; Goossens, Michael, Mittlebach, Frank, and Samarin,
    Alexander; Addison-Wesley; ISBN 0-201-54199-8; 530pp.; 1994. "'If you
    are one of those users who would like to know how LaTeX can be
    extended to create the nicest documents possible without becoming a
    (La)TeX guru, then this book is for you' --- from the Preface.  A
    very nice book providing a lot of information about the new
    extensions to LaTeX, provides a large number of examples showing
    precisely how your document's layout can be manipulated" [Bruce
    Thompson]

XII. Inclusions

     Note: most if not all of the files mentioned here can be obtained from
     host rtfm.mit.edu.

     Linux HOWTO files, posted periodically to comp.os.linux.*

     Unix FAQ files.

     Concise Guide to Unix Books, posted periodically to misc.books.technical
     and various comp.unix groups.

XIII. Periodicals

      Linux Journal is a monthly publication covering the Linux
      Community.  The first issue was sent out in February, 1994.

      Subscriptions:
      Introductory subscription rates are $19/year.  Payment can be
      made using VISA, MasterCard or American Express (make sure you
      include the credit card number, expiration date and signature).
      We can also accept checks in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. bank.
      If you have a question concerning appropriate method of payment,
      phone or FAX our subscription numbers or send e-mail to
      [email-masked]

       Send subscriptions orders to:
           Linux Journal
           P.O. Box 85867
           Seattle, WA 98145-1867
       or FAX them to (206) 526-0803.

      [Phil Hughes E-mail: [email-masked]   Phone: +1 206 524 8338] 

    (The above is not meant as an advertisement or endorsement of a
    particular publication; it's just that I think it's pretty exciting
    that Linux has reached a level of popularity and maturity such that
    someone believes the market can support a magazine devoted to it.)

    For a while there was a LinuxNews electronically-published newsletter,
    but it seems to have ceased publication.

Finding Stuff On-Line:

    For people with ftp access to the Internet, the main Linux archive sites
    in the U.S. are sunsite.unc.edu and tsx-11.mit.edu.  The Linux
    Documentation Project work-in-progress is to be found in
    sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/LDP   The file LDP-Manifesto describes
    the project.  Matt Welsh, [email-masked] is the contact person
    for LDP.

    The site appropriately named  rtfm.mit.edu  holds archives of FAQ
    (Frequently-Asked-Questions) and HOWTO files from just about every
    Usenet news group in existence.  From here you can obtain copies of
    the various Linux HOWTO files that are posted from time to time in
    newsgroups of the comp.os.linux hierarchy.

    For those without ftp access there are a number of BBSes containing
    information about Linux.  A list of these is posted from time to time
    on comp.os.linux.announce.

Off-Line:

    A number of software publishers are issuing Linux on CD-ROM.  Somebody
    tell me which if any of these are including documentation such as the
    LDP manuals on the CD.

    And then you can always buy one of the commercially-published books
    above and take it with you to the beach.  The idea for this list really
    originated with, "what can you buy at the local software emporium
    or book store when you need to learn something that you can't get
    from the on-line manual pages or from the net?"