Subject: Linux Software Map Mail Order Services
From: [email-masked] (stephen balbach)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 14:26:29 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

[]
             Linux Software Map Software Mail Order Services
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q: What is our service?

The Linux Software Map contains over half a meg of descriptions of 
programs and files related to Linux.  Most of them are free but until now
the only way to obtain them was downloading yourself, and that was if you 
knew they existed or could even find them.  Thanks to the Linux Software
Map you have a chance to receive these programs without doing the grunt
work of tracking  the files locations, downloading or even having access to
them at all.  You tell us which files from the Linux Software Map you
would like and they  will sent on disk directly to you.

Q: How much does it cost?

Program Size            Cost
----------------------------
1k to <= 400k           2.00 US per (add .20 for 3.5" 1.44)
>400k to <= 1.2megs     2.50 US per (add .20 for 3.5" 1.44)
>1.2megs                2.50 per meg or fractional part
                             (e.g. 2.7megs = 7.50/5.25" or 8.10/3.5")

 o Minimum Order: $50.00 US

 o ALL COSTS INCLUDE DISKS, SHIPPING AND HANDLING - No hidden charges.

 o Out of USA orders welcome and encouraged.

 o All orders shipped on HD 1.2 DOS format floppy disks.  Programs will
   remain tar's/gzip'd/compressed as described in the LSM, but will be 
   renamed to conform to DOS 8.3 character naming convention. Use the
   Linux dosemu to copy files from DOS format disks.

 o Orders include printed invoice of files.

Q: What is the Linux Software Map and where do I get it?

The Linux Software Map is a volunteer effort to catalog all software, 
text files, FAQ... available for Linux.  LSM may be found on Usenet 
comp.os.linux periodically or at the home FTP site 

sunsite.unc.edu: /pub/Linux/docs/lsm-28xxxxx.z (note fill in x w/ current
                                                version)

Fidonet users -> Linux Software Map is available on Programmers Corner BBS
in Columbia, MD at (301) 596-7696 [14.4] 24 lines, first call download.

The Linux Software Map project is a volunteer effort headed by Jeff
Kopmanis.  It will only succeed if developers and users alike contribute
to the database by filling out the template form that comes with the LSM
as new and updated programs are released.
 
Q: Where do you get the files from?

Because of the large number of programs available, and the constant 
revisions, it would be nearly impossible to keep a repository locally of
the entire Linux Software Map. So each program is individually downloaded,
at the time of order, from the location noted in the Linux Software Map.
This also insures you will receive the most up to date version.

Q: Do you have a special deal for just the Linux OS?

Yes!  I sell the SLS version of Linux on 5.25" disk and 3.5" disk. 
This is as always the most up to date version available.

30 5.25" disks (complete SLS release 1.02): $60
30 3.5"  disks (complete SLS release 1.02): $45

Please inquire for more information about this service.

Q: Do you offer support? Warranty?

No support is offered at this time.  Warranty includes replacement of
defective files by e-mail first, or mail if needed.

Q: What about Copyrights?

Most software available for Linux is freely distributable.  I'm charging
for a value added service of finding/downloading/copying/mailing, not
for the actual software.  If the licence for a piece of software 
prevents me for charging for this service it can not be ordered.

Q: How do I order?

First you must have a copy of the Linux Software Map.  This will serve as 
a common point of reference so as to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding 
of the exact programs ordered.  Then simply go through and pick out the 
files you would like making a list like the following.

Example order form:

Urname Hier
Technoville, MD
USA 55555

(555) 555-5555

Disk Type: 5.25" HD

Program Name(1)                        Size(2)                Cost
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
xdos02.tar.z                           410990                 2.00

(1) The program name must be obtained from the Linux Software Map from the 
    first field 'Program Name'.  If I can't find it in the LSM than I can't
    send it to you.

(2) Size must also be obtained from the LSM 'Size' field.  If the actual 
    size differs the actual size prevails.

Orders may be Certified Funds (Money Order, Cashiers Check, Postal Money 
Order), personal check (5 day hold) or wire transfer ($10 bank charge).

Orders may be sent to:

Stephen Balbach
5437 Enberend Terrace
Columbia, MD 21045

(410) 740-1157

Please include return address, e-mail address and phone number, thanks.

Do you have any questions? Internet: [email-masked]   *or*
                                     [email-masked]
                           Fidonet:  reply to appropriate sub 
                                     public or private.

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]