Subject: libc 4.4.1 is on tsx-11.
From: [email-masked] (H.J. Lu)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 93 02:39:26 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Please unpack inc-*.gz under /.

Tools 2.7.5 adds __main () to each shared image and put it in the list
of the global constructors. That is supposed to initialize all the
global constructors in the shared image. But I haven't got the
change to test the new scheme. Please try it out.

===============README PLEASE========================================
There are a few functions, SYSV IPC, which requires the kernel 0.99
pl 10, setdomainname () and getdomainname (). You need the new uname ()
in 0.99 pl 10 to use it. If you use an older kernel, as long as you
don't compile any source codes which use uname (), gethostname (),
setdomainname () and getdomainname (), you will be fine. The new
uname () is located at a different address, see <sys/syscall.h> for
details. Old binaries which use old uname () and gethostname () should
work as before.

====================================================================

This is the public release of the Linux C library 4.4.1. You have to
install the source code of 0.99 pl 10 to use it since there are some
changes in kernel. You also need gcc 2.4.0 or above to use it since
libgcc.a is changed.

You can get this package under pub/linux/packages/GCC from
tsx-11.mit.edu. The file names are inc-4.4.1.tar.gz,
inc-4.4-4.4.1.tar.gz, libc-4.4.1.tar.gz, libc-4.4-4.4.1.tar.gz,
image-4.4.1.tar.gz and extra-4.4.1.tar.gz.  Also binutils.tar.gz and
binutils-1.9l.tar.gz.

I only make i486 binary versions this time.

WARNING: PLEASE READ THEM.
 1)	There is a change in ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/__load.c.
	Please read the ChangeLog. Please check it out and tell me the
	detailed reason why you don't like the change. Thanks.
 2)	All the stuff previously in /usr/etc/inet or /etc/inet must be
	in /etc now.
 3)	cfmakeraw () in ./libc-linux/posix/cfmakeraw.c is changed. If
	you have problem with any communication applications, like
	kermit and uucp, or something using cfmakeraw (), with the
	new libc.a, please check it out first.
 4)	getopt_long () is changed. I undefined GETOPT_COMPAT in
	./libc-linux/posix/getopt.c so that `+' cannot be used to
	introduce a long-named option, like `--' because this is not
	POSIX.2 compliant. From Roland. As far as I know only those in
	binutils.tar.gz use `+' instead of `--'. Please get new
	binutils.tar.gz too. The source code, binutils-1.9l.tar.gz, is
	in pub/linux/packages/GCC/src.
 5)	get the latest tools from pub/linux/packages/GCC/src to fix
	the known bugs. The current version as of July 1, 1993 is
	tools-2.7.5.tar.gz. You have to use tools no older than 2.7.5. 
 6)	in /libc-linux/misc/syslog.c, NUL is used as a message
	delimiter. syslogd has to be changed to separate each message
	from each other.
 7)	Please make sure there are no statfs.S statfs.S uname.S in
	src/libc-linux/sysdeps/linux. Please do

	cd src/libc-linux/sysdeps/linux
	rm fstatfs.S statfs.S uname.S

	since there are new fstatfs.c, statfs.c and uname.c.
 8)	This is an old one for libc 4.3.3. I included it here for you.
	If you have problems with df and mount after installing this
	release, please do:
	1. Get Rick Sladkey's mount 0.99.6. It is in mount-0.99.6.tar.Z
	   and utile-1.4.src.tar.gz from sunsite or tsx-11.
	2. Remove any
		rdev > /dev/mtab
	from /etc/rc.
	3. List / partition in /etc/fstab.
	4. Add "mount -av" in /etc/rc or somewhere like that.
	5. Always provide a fs name in /etc/fstab.

	After rebooting, you will be fine.
		       
This release is compressed with gzip 1.0.3.

Please read ChangeLog for details of the bug fixes and changes.

The file list:

1. inc-4.4.1.tar.gz
 
   The C/C++ header files for 4.4.1.
    
   cd /
   gzip -dc inc-4.4.1.tar.gz | tar xvvof -
	 
   The header files in inc-4.4.1.tar.gz are not complete. You have to
   install the kernel source for the rest of the header files. Please
   get the version mentioned at the beginning of this release note.
   Suppose you install the kernel source at "/foo/bar/src", you should
   do as root
		    
   mkdir -p /usr/include
   cd /usr/include
   ln -s /foo/bar/src/linux/include/asm .
   ln -s /foo/bar/src/linux/include/linux .

2. libc-4.4.1.tar.gz

  Source code for 4.4.1.

  cd src
  gzip -dc libc-4.4.1.tar.gz | tar xvvof -

3. inc-4.4-4.4.1.tar.gz
 
  Change of the header files from 4.4 to 4.4.1.
 
  cd /
  gzip -dc inc-4.4-4.4.1.tar.gz | tar xvvof -

4. libc-4.4-4.4.1.tar.gz

  Change of the source code from 4.4 to 4.4.1. 

  cd src
  gzip -dc libc-4.4-4.4.1.tar.gz | tar xvvof -

  Please do

  cd src/libc-linux/sysdeps/linux
  rm fstatfs.S statfs.S uname.S

  since there are new fstatfs.c, statfs.c and uname.c.

5. image-4.4.1.tar.gz

  The static/stub libraries, shared image and crt0.o. To install
  it, as root do

  cd /tmp
  rm -rf ./lib ./usr
  gzip -dc image-4.4.1.tar.gz | tar xvvof -
  cp -av ./lib ./usr /
  cd /lib
  ln -sf libc.so.4.4.1 libc.so.4
  ln -sf libm.so.4.4 libm.so.4

  If you have an early version of libc.so.4.4.1 installed, you may have
  to play with it, like

  cd /lib
  cp libc.so.4.4.1 /tmp/libc.so.4.4.old
  ln -sf /tmp/libc.so.4.4.1.old libc.so.4
  mv libc.so.4.4.1 old.libc.so.4.4.1

  before you unpack image-4.4.1.tar.gz.

6. extra-4.4.1.tar.gz
 
  libmcheck.a, libg.a, libc_p.a, libgmon.a and gcrt0.o. To install
 
  cd /
  gzip -dc extra-4.4.1.tar.gz | tar xvvof -

5. ChangeLog

  Change log for the Linux C library.

Please fix the file permissions after you install it.

H.J.
[email-masked]
07/01/93
--------
Thu Jul  1 17:17:28 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* version 4.4.1 is released.

Mon Jun 28 08:51:00 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* version 4.4.0f is released.

	* update to tools 2.7.5.

	* ./libc-linux/jump/libm/jump.params:
	  ./libc-linux/jump/libm/jump.params.build: Change back
	  to GOT=0x00000100. You have to use tools newer than
	  2.7.4.

	* ./libc-linux/jump/libc/jump.vars:
	  ./libc-linux/jump/libc.lite/jump.vars: change
	  _BC, _PC and _UP to 'C' from 'D'.

Sat Jun 26 19:02:04 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* version 4.4.0e is released.

	* <bsd/signal.h>: move #define __USE_BSD_SIGNAL
	  before #include_next <signal.h>.

	* ./libc-linux/Makefile: build everything other than
	  libc.so.x.y with -lgcc -lc -lgcc.

	* ./libc-linux/jump/libm/jump.params:
	  ./libc-linux/jump/libm/jump.params.build: Change to
	  GOT=0x00001000. Old binaries using GOT in libm may
	  break. I don't think many use it.

Sat Jun 19 13:30:26 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* version 4.4.0d is released.

Thu Jun 17 19:32:11 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/Makefile: fix typos.

	* ./libc-linux/jump/libc/jump.funcs:
	  ./libc-linux/jump/libc.lite/jump.funcs: add `_' to
	  the names of new functions.

Wed Jun 16 09:33:48 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* update to tools 2.7.4.

	* ./libc-linux/jump/libc/jump.ignore:
	  ./libc-linux/jump/libc.lite/jump.ignore: delete
	  __GLOBAL_$I$fprintf and __GLOBAL_$I$sync_with_stdio__3iosi.
		  
Fri Jun 11 17:27:48 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* ./libc-linux/misc/Makefile: add ftok.o.

	* ./libc-linux/misc/ftok.c: new file for ftok ().

	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/Makefile: add msgctl.o,
	  msgget.o, msgrcv.o msgsnd.o semctl.o semget.o semop.o,
	  shmat.o, shmctl.o, shmdt.o amd shmget.o.

	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/msgctl.c:
	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/msgget.c:
	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/msgrcv.c:
	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/msgsnd.c:
	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/semctl.c:
	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/semget.c:
	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/semop.c:
	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/shmat.c:
	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/shmctl.c:
	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/shmdt.c:
	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/shmget.c:
	  new files for SYSV IPC.

	* ./libc-linux/jump/libc/jump.funcs:
	  ./libc-linux/jump/libc.lite/jump.funcs: new entries:
		ftok, msgctl, msgget, msgrcv, msgsnd, semctl, semget,
		semop, shmat, shmctl, shmdt and shmget.

Fri Jun  3 10:20:19 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* version 4.4.0c is released. source code patch only.

	* ./libc-linux/Makerules: add .S -> .s.

	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/fsync.S: new file. need the latest
	 0.99 pl 10 or above to use.
	
	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/fsync.c: removed.

Thu Jun  3 20:26:29 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* version 4.4.0b is released.

	* update to tools 2.7.3.

Sun May 30 23:40:19 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* update to tools 2.7.2.

	* ./libc-linux/Makeconfig: set i486 as default.

	* ./libc-linux/Makefile: add libgcc.a to the math shared
	  library for __main ().

	* ./libc-linux/gcc/Makefile: add __main.o, _exit.o and
	  _ctors.o to the shared libgcc.a.

	* ./libc-linux/jump/libc/jump.ignore:
	  ./libc-linux/jump/libc.lite/jump.ignore: add ___main,
	  ___do_global_ctors, ___do_global_dtors and
	  __exit_dummy_decl.

Fri May 28 15:04:02 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* <netinet/in.h>: fix it for 0.99 pl 10.

	* <limits.h>: include the gcc's limits.h only if it is not
	  included already.
	
	* <alloca.h>: only declare `alloca' if __STDC__ is defined
	  or __GNUC__ < 2. `alloca' is the built-in function for
	  gcc 2.x.

	* <nan.h>: add signaling NaNs, double and float.

Sun May 23 16:45:45 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* ./libc-linux/Makefile: add gcc to the static dirs.

Sat May 22 13:50:46 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	* version 4.4.0a is released.

	* ./libc-linux/iostream/filebuf.C: (filebuf::sync ()): don't do
	  sys_seek () if not in putback mode. WARNING: it may break
	  something, especially the unlimited put back operations. I
	  am still waiting for reply from Per.

	* <nan.h>: add signal and quiet NaN as well as float version.

	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/math/ __infnan.c: return 
	  signal NaN.

	* ./libc-linux/sysdeps/linux/i386/math: (acos.c, acosh.c,
	  asin.c, atanh.c, log.c, log10.c, pow.c, sqrt.c): change the
	  return values for domain errors to IEEE conforming values.
	  from [email-masked] (Olaf Flebbe).

Fri May 21 14:27:12 1993  H.J. Lu  (hlu@nighthawk)

	*  ./libc-linux/string/strncscmp.c:
	   ./libc-linux/string/strcasecmp.c: change GPL to GLGPL.

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]