Subject: CFV: comp.os.linux reorganization
From: [email-masked] (Ian Kluft)
Date: 3 Jul 1993 14:12:49 -0400
Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.announce

CALL FOR VOTES
                          COMP.OS.LINUX REORGANIZATION 

This is the official Call for Votes (CFV) for the reorganization of the
comp.os.linux hierarchy of newsgroups.  This vote will be conducted
according to the official newsgroup creation procedures, which are posted
regularly in news.groups.

Votes may be cast only with the fill-in-the-blanks ballot form which appears
in the "HOW TO CAST YOUR VOTE" section later in this CFV.

SUBJECT OF VOTE
---------------
The proposed new newsgroups are listed below in alphabetical order.  All of
them are UNMODERATED.

comp.os.linux.admin
    Discussion of Linux-specific issues with installation and system
    administration

comp.os.linux.development
    Discussion of Linux development including kernel, library, gcc,
    networking, porting, and other related issues

comp.os.linux.help
    Discussion of Linux-specific questions and advice

comp.os.linux.misc
    (This newsgroup renames the existing comp.os.linux newsgroup)
    Discussion of Linux-specific topics which do not fit in the other
    comp.os.linux.* newsgroups.

The existing moderated newsgroup comp.os.linux.announce is not affected by
this vote.  It does not appear on the ballot form.  No action from this vote
will make any changes to it.

DURATION OF VOTE
----------------
Voting will commence when this CFV is posted.  It will continue until
4 August 1993 at 23:59PM UTC.

During the voting period, a 2nd CFV and 3rd CFV will be posted, both including
mass acknowledgements of votes received.  (The acknowledgements will not
contain any indication of how people voted.)

Voting procedures are detailed in the next section, "HOW TO CAST YOUR VOTE."

Upon completion of the voting period, the results will be posted to
news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, comp.os.linux.announce and comp.os.linux.
In order to pass, newsgroups must have at least a 2/3 majority of YES votes
and at least 100 more YES than NO votes.

HOW TO CAST YOUR VOTE
---------------------
Please REPLY to this message via MAIL to the following address:
    [email-masked]

Using your newsreader's "mail a reply" command on this message should work.
Posted votes can not be counted.  An auto-reply program will immediately send
a notice that your vote was received.  You will be sent another notice within
a few days which indicates how the vote counting software thinks you voted -
please mail corrections *immediately* to the vote-taker, Ian Kluft, at
[email-masked].

PLEASE USE THE BALLOT FORM AS IT IS.  But please remove the rest of the CFV
from your reply in order to minimize disk space requirements to store the
votes.

Please do not delete anything between the "-=-=-=-=-" lines - and most
certainly do not modify the group names.  Votes will be tallied by an
automatic vote-counting program.  If it can't determine your vote, you will
be asked to re-vote.

For each group that you wish to vote on, simply add your vote in the
appropriate space on the same line.  Recognized votes are Yes, No, For, and
Against. Yes and For are equivalent, as are No and Against.  Capitalization is
not important. If you want to abstain from voting on a particular group, just
leave the space blank.  Don't worry about spacing of the columns or any quote
characters ">" that your reply inserts.  

You may *not* do a combined vote - i.e., "I vote for all of them" or "I vote
against all of them."  Please use the form.

You may only vote once, regardless of how many accounts you may have.
Forwarded or proxy votes are invalid.

SUMMARY: reply to this message to cast your vote.  Fill in the ballot shown
below.  Please delete the rest of the CFV from your reply.

-=-=-=-=-=- Don't Delete Anything Between These Lines =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

comp.os.linux reorganization ballot    [LINUX-BALLOT-0001]

  If your mail software does not add your name to your user ID give
  your name here (on this line):

Your Vote  Group
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
yes        this.is.an.example.group
>no        this.is.another.example.group
           this.is.an.example.abstention

           comp.os.linux.admin
           comp.os.linux.development
           comp.os.linux.help
           comp.os.linux.misc

-=-=-=-=-=- Don't Delete Anything Between These Lines =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

REFERENCES
----------
For more information on the newsgroup creation procedures, refer to the
article "Guidelines for UseNet Newsgroup Creation" in news.groups,
news.announce.newgroups and news.answers.  It includes the requirements behind
the rules in this CFV including, for example, voting by mail only, the allowed
length of the voting period, required margins to pass, prohibition against
proxy, forwarded, or conditional votes, etc.

For readers who access UseNet via a gateway to a mail list or another network,
the guidelines can be obtained by sending a message via your usual procedure
to get e-mail through the gateway to the Internet.  Send a message to
   [email-masked]
The first line of your message should say
   send usenet/news.answers/creating-newsgroups/part1
(There is only one part, called "part1".)  The server will ignore the subject
of your message - you can leave it out.

Other commands recognized by the server are "help" and "index".  rtfm.mit.edu
is a repository for FAQs and other helpful periodic articles on UseNet.  All
of the files available through the mail-server can also be accessed via
anonymous ftp on the same machine.