Subject: PAW (CERNLIB) ported to Linux (Corrected version)
From: Anatoli Lomov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 93 17:19:01 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

[This is a more complete version of the announcement posted earlier. -mdw]

Hello!

We have ported some parts of CERNLIB 93b to Linux. Due to lack of
reliable access to Internet from our home institute we plan to prepare
distribution at CERN and to put it to the Incoming directory on 
sunsite.unc.edu during next few weeks.

It will be very helpful if anybody interested in this software will 
send request for ordering to Rene Brun ([email-masked]). If sufficent
amount of requests will be accepted (more then 100), it would be possible to 
organize more qualified support from CERN (for example, put Linux's
CERNLIB to standard CERNLIB software distribution server - asis01.cern.ch). 

Part of the README file is included below:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
CERNlib Software - Copyright CERN, March 1993

                        CERNlib release 93b
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Table of Contents                      Last README update:  6-Jul-1993
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Acknowledgements
- Installation Notes

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Acknowledgements
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- This work has been done by 
  Victor Balashov ([email-masked]) and
  Anatoli Lomov   ([email-masked], [email-masked])
  from JINR-Dubna and supported by CERN and JINR institutes
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The installation has been made on:

     PC AT-486 compatible 
     
     Linux SLS 1.0
     Linux kernel 0.99pl9
     GCC 2.3.3
	libc.so.4.3 DLL Jump 4.3
     f2c 19 March 1993 with modifications
     XFree86 1.2
	libX11.so.3.0 DLL Jump 3.0pl0

This is NOT a full implementation of the standard CERNlib distribution.
Only PAW, CMZ and PATCHY with corresponding libraries are ported.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

CERNLIB, PAW, CMZ and PATCHY info - see below extraction from CERNLIB 
documentation:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Introduction

The CERN Program Library is a large collection of general-purpose programs
maintained and offered in both source and object code form on the CERN central
computers. Most of these programs were developed at CERN and are therefore
oriented towards the needs of a physics research laboratory. Nearly all, 
however, are of a general mathematical or data-handling nature,
applicable to a wide range of problems.
 
The library is heavily used: for instance on the CERN IBM 3090 (which runs over
2000 jobs per day), the average job loads more than 25 subroutines from the CERN
library. The library is distributed in source form to several hundred
laboratories and computer centres outside CERN.
 
Contents and Organization of the Library
 
The library contains about 2500 subroutines and complete programs which are
grouped together by logical affiliation into little over 450 program packages.
80\% of the programs are written in Fortran77 and the remainder in C and in
assembly code, usually with a FORTRAN version also available.
 
A unique code is assigned to each package.  This code consists   of one letter 
and three or four digits, the letter indicating the category within our 
classification scheme.  A package consists of one or more related subprograms
with one package name and one or more user-callable entry names, all described
briefly in a ``Short write-up'', and if necessary, an additional 
``Long write-up''.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
+-----+                                                            +------+
| PAW |                    CERN Program Library                    | Q121 |
+-----+                                                            +------+
Author(s): R. Brun, O. Couet, N. Cremel-Somon, P. ZanariniLibrary: PACKLIB
Submitter: R. Brun                                   Submitted: 10.02.1988
Language:  Fortran                                     Revised: 01.10.1989
      
                  PAW - Physics Analysis Workstation Package
                  -------------------------------------------
      
PAW is a program package to assist physicists in the analysis and
presentation of their data. It provides interactive graphical presentation
and statistical or mathematical analysis, working on objects familiar to
physicists like histograms, event files (n-tuples) and vectors.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
+--------+                                                         +------+
| PATCHY |                 CERN Program Library                    | L400 |
+--------+                                                         +------+
Author(s): J. Zoll                                           Library: none
Submitter:                                           Submitted: 31.01.1972
Language:  Fortran                                     Revised: 15.01.1977
      
                          Source Code Maintenance
                          ------------------------
      
PATCHY and the associated auxiliary programs serve in development,
maintenance, and inter-computer transport of source programs. Suitably
structured source files containing several versions of a given program
permit code selection and code modification (down to
single-statement-level) by simple control cards to YPATCHY. Compacting and
structuring of card files for efficiency (YTOBIN), maintenance of
compacted files at the deck level (YEDIT), creation of
machine-independent, transportable files (YTOCETA) and listing of
compacted files (YLIST) and others are simple auxiliary operations in this
environment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

CMZ - an advanced, interactive, fast, self-documenting, customizable and 
machine-independent source code management system with special emphasis
on FORTRAN and C source code. A very useful tool for working with
CERNLIB source files.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
      
So, again - we are waiting for you opinion. Please, send requests for
ordering this software to Rene Brun ([email-masked]).

Regards,
-- 
Anatoli Lomov / [email-masked]

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]