Subject: Announcing the release of amd automounter for linux
From: Mitchum DSouza <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Jul 1993 09:29:59 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Hi All,

Announcing the release of the AMD automounter for Linux.

AMD was compiled with kernel 99pl10/11, gcc 2.4.3, 4.4.1 libs and is actually
version 5.3 beta1, although `amd -v' says version 5.2.2.2.

Currently there is no NIS support. We have to wait until it's finally in
libc.

As we seem to have a plethora of file systems and no definite ufs, the
binary provided has a compiled default file system of minix. (I use the
minix 30 Char fs so it suffices for me). However this may be changed in the
config/Makefile.linux at the top of the source tree.

I have tested the link, nfs, ufs (minix), program and union fs types. The union
fs type gives you the functionality to overmount a multitude of directories
into one single directory. Hence you can have /lib and /usr/X386/lib
directories overmounted and not need to set a LD_LIBRARY_PATH with the new
XFree86 1.3 for example. This is similar to the inheritance fs 'ifs'
released for linux a while back.

The sources, manpages, tex documentation and ready to run binaries are
available on
    sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Network/misc/amd5.3beta1-linux.tar.gz

The patches have been submitted to the AMD authors for future inclusion into
the stock distribution.

Warning: You need a fs with > 30 char limit to extract/build the source.

Note: Shadow password users, (SLS), may not be able to use the binary provided
with passwd maps as the structure of the password file is different. You
must compile the sources with shadow support enabled. Read the GCC-FAQ on
    sunsite.inc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs
for info on how to do this.

Have fun
See ya
Mitch

-- 
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]