Subject: Linux META-FAQ
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1993 14:35:01 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce,comp.os.linux,comp.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: linux-faq/meta-faq
Last-modified: 13 Apr 93
Version: 3.01
                                 Linux Meta-FAQ 

        This is the Meta-FAQ for Linux. It is mainly a list of valuable 
        sources of information. Check these sources out if you want to 
        learn more about Linux, or have problems and need help. Lars 
        Wirzenius ([email-masked]) wrote the first version of 
        this document, and it is now maintained by Michael K. Johnson 
        ([email-masked]). Mail me if you have any questions about 
        this document. 

        NOTE: Filenames in this article are for the tsx-11.mit.edu ftp 
        site (see below for names of more ftp sites). Files are usually 
        located in similar places on other sites. The names are relative 
        to the directory /pub/linux/ on tsx-11. 

        What is Linux? 
           Linux is a clone of the UNIX operating system that has been 
           written entirely from scratch. It has no proprietary code in 
           it. Linux is freely distributable under the GNU Public 
           License. It only works on IBM PC compatibles with an ISA or 
           EISA bus and a 386 or higher processor. See the FAQ for more 
           exact hardware requirements. The Linux kernel is written by 
           Linus Torvalds ([email-masked]) from Finland. 
           Most of the programs running under Linux are generic Unix 
           freeware, many of them from the GNU project. 

        The Linux FAQ 
           A collection of common problems and their solutions. Answers 
           many questions faster than the net. Stored on many Linux ftp 
           sites (docs/FAQ/) and rtfm.mit.edu, the general archive site 
           for all FAQs. 

        Linux newsgroups 
           There are two Usenet newsgroups for Linux: comp.os.linux and 
           comp.os.linux.announce. The latter contains important stuff 
           like announcements of new programs or versions, the former 
           all the discussion. It is a good idea to follow at least 
           c.o.l.a if you use Linux. 

        0.1 Getting Linux 

        0.1.1 Linux FTP sites 

        A more complete list of Linux FTP sites is in the Linux 
        INFO-SHEET (docs/INFO-SHEET). The most important sites are 
        listed here; please see the INFO-SHEET for a site nearer to you 
        (there are many mirrors). 

           textual name             numeric addr    Linux directory
           =======================  ==============  ===============
           tsx-11.mit.edu           18.172.1.2      /pub/linux
           sunsite.unc.edu          152.2.22.81     /pub/Linux
           nic.funet.fi             128.214.6.100   /pub/OS/Linux

        These sites are the main ``home'' sites for Linux where most 
        uploads take place. There are many mirror sites; please use the 
        closest (network-wise) site to you. 

        0.1.2 Linux on BBS's 

        Zane Healy posts (around the beginning and middle of the month) 
        a list of BBS's that have Linux available for download. Try them 
        if you can't FTP. This list is available by ftp as docs/bbs.list 
        at tsx-11. 

        0.1.3 Linux on physical media 

        Linux is distributed on floppies by at least Softlanding 
        Software (910 Lodge Ave, Victoria, B.C, Canada, V8X-3A8, (604) 
        360-0188) for USD 3.25/disk. This is mostly the same SLS 
        distribution that is available via FTP (see below). The diskette 
        distribution is mostly meant for people who can't FTP. SLS is 
        also now producing a CD-ROM of the SLS release. 

        Marco Scheibe ([email-masked]), Klaus Weidner 
        ([email-masked]) and Gert Doering 
        ([email-masked]) will copy Linux (the 
        complete SLS distribution, including X, possibly other things as 
        well) for you, if you send them diskettes and return postage. 
        Contact them via e-mail first. 

        Yggdrasil Computing is producing a CD-ROM with Linux. Currently 
        a beta version is available (beta referring to the fact that the 
        contents are still evolving) This is a completely new 
        distribution, not SLS. A complete listing of files is available 
        via FTP from netcom.com in directory pub/yggdrasil. There is 
        also a manual and other information there. Contact 
        [email-masked] or call (510)526-7531, 9am-5:30pm, 
        California time. 

        Also check advertisements/* at tsx-11 for advertisements of 
        other ways to get linux, including a list of people that will 
        make copies for you at low prices. 

        If you know of other distributors, send me a note! 

        0.1.4 Commercial networks 

        GEnie mirrors most of tsx-11 and sunsite (including SLS). 
        CompuServe has only very limited very old Linux archives. 

        0.1.5 Mailservers and such 

        The trickle server [email-masked], aka 
        [email-masked], aka [email-masked], send 
        mail to one of these addresses with a body consisting of /HELP. 

        0.2 Linux distributions (aka ``releases'') 

        Linux is distributed by its author only as a kernel. Other 
        people have put together ``distributions'' that can be used. 
        These distributions pair the kernel as released by the author 
        with software, to make a complete working package. Most releases 
        include application programs as well as system software, 
        providing ``one stop shopping'' for Linux. 

        Jim Winstead and H.J. Lu maintain the boot and root disks. These 
        two form more or less the ``official'' release. It is fully 
        functional, but only has the bare essentials. The filenames are: 
        images/bootimage-xxx.Z and images/rootimage-xxx.Z (xxx stands 
        for the version number). They're also hard to install for 
        newcomers; I'd go for the SLS release (below) if you're new to 
        Linux and want all of the goodies. 

        The SLS (Softlanding Linux System) release is rather complete 
        and has more or less all of the software you could possibly want 
        for any Linux system. This release is what all new Linux users 
        should install: it's easy to do and since most people have used 
        the SLS Linux distribution, if you have any problems there are 
        many people out there who can give you help. The SLS release is 
        updated periodically, with ``full'' updates taking place every 
        few weeks. You can find the SLS release on 
        tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/packages/SLS/. 

        H.J. Lu (the Linux GCC maintainer) also has another set of 
        disks, including a combined boot and rootdisk, and some 
        additional disks with more programs. This package assumes you 
        are already familiar with Linux, and at least some of it may be 
        incorporated to the work of Jim Winstead. See directories 
        packages/GCC/rootdisk and packages/GCC/basedisk on tsx-11. 

        0.3 Linux mailing-lists 

        Used mostly for discussion between developers of new features 
        and testers of pre-release versions. See addresses in the FAQ. 

        0.4 Linux News --- summaries of annoucements 

        A weekly summary of announcements of new programs and other 
        interesting news. Edited by Denise Tree, posted to 
        comp.os.linux.announce, comp.os.linux and the LINUXNEWS channel 
        on the linux-activists mailing list (see the FAQ for info on 
        joining mailing lists). It is also available via GEnie. Intended 
        for people who don't have time or energy to sift through the 
        high volume of comp.os.linux. 

        0.5 Other newsgroups are useful, too 

        At least the groups comp.unix.{ 
        questions,shell,programming,bsd,admin}, and 
        comp.windows.x.i386unix should be useful for a Linux user. If 
        you have a problem that is not directly Linux-related, ask it in 
        these groups, not in c.o.l (which is too big for some people as 
        it is). 

        0.6 Documentation for various programs 

        Many programs come with some sort of documentation, often in a 
        file called README or something similar. It is a VERY good idea 
        to read them with care. It is boring to see (and answer) 
        questions that are answered in the documentation. 

        0.7 Keeping track of current releases 

        New releases, programs, and ports are usually announced in 
        comp.os.linux. finger [email-masked] to get some 
        information about the current kernel (often long!). See also the 
        next item. 

        0.8 The Linux Project Registry 

        Maintained by James Callison, a list of ``who is doing what''. 
        See the list itself for mail addresses. Posted every two weeks 
        to comp.os.linux. Contains information about the current status 
        for included projects. 

        0.9 The Linux Hardware Compatibility List 

        Posted occasionally to comp.os.linux.announce, and found on the 
        major Linux FTP sites (tsx-11:docs/bbs.list). This list lists 
        some of the devices and hardware that Linux currently supports. 
        It's useful for anyone wanting to purchase or upgrade their 
        system. Be aware that it cannot be complete, as there is more 
        hardware out there than Linux users can own. 

        0.10 Legalese 

        Trademarks are owned by their owners. Satisfaction not 
        guaranteed. No warranties about this document. Void where 
        prohibited.