Subject: ANNOUNCE: XC 4.1 available (communications suite)
From: Thomas McWilliams <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Jul 1993 20:14:03 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

[]
             -----------------------------------------
             XC version 4.1 for Linux is now available
             -----------------------------------------

XC comm package 4.1 has been uploaded to sunsite.unc.edu and
tsx-11.mit.edu. This Linux release subsumes all previous Linux
patches to XC under one roof, and synchronizes the package with
the generic release of XC as distributed by J.P.Radley.  

One archive "xc-4.1p1.tar.gz" contains both the source code *and*
the binaries. If you wish to use these binaries you must have 
shared library libc.so.4.4.1 or later. 

The Linux version differs from standard XC in the following ways:

 * improved xmodem protocols.
 * more graceful handling of aborted transfers
 * support for auto-download ZMODEM
 * improved recognition and triggering of auto zmodem downloads.
 * adds internal 1k xmodem (a.k.a. old ymodem).
 * support for the Linux character set.
 * support for rts/cts flow control
 * configurable terminal mode command "escape" character
 * optional mapping of DEL character to Backspace character.
 * optional mapping of DOS character codes to Linux LATIN1 codes.
 * optional mapping DOS line graphics to vt102 graphic sequences.
 * support for pulse or tone dialing.
 * ability to disable "call waiting". 
 * can clear line graphics mode via ^AO terminal mode command.
 * edited man page to reflect Linux usage.
 * sample "phonelist" culled from Zane Healy's Linux BBS list.
 * ioctls replaced with POSIX functions.

Several of the above items are of particular interest to those
who frequent BBS and on-line services where the DOS character set
predominates. 8 bit characters and line graphics will display
properly. The Salz/Turner editline library is included, as is the
rz/sz package. The editline library and rz/sz protocols are
covered by separate copyrights. The version of editline which is
included here has been slightly modified to be 8 bit clean.

Note that you should replace your current rz and sz with the included
versions which are known to work with XC. Other versions of rz/sz
which open the comm port directly should *NOT* be used. The
preferred way to handle external protocols is for the comm program
to coordinate redirection (which is what we do here). 

Most of the Linux changes have been marked with '#ifdef' directives.
Besides myself, contributors to the Linux version of XC include Leif
Sawyer, M. Saggaf, and Jeff Randall, and other unknown individuals.
Please report any problems or bugs to me.

Bugs, questions, suggestions, and patches may be directed to me at:

[email-masked] _or_ [email-masked]

The overall maintainer of generic XC is J.P.Radley [email-masked]

   -- Thomas 

-- 
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]