Subject: Linux System Administrator's Guide -- ALPHA version available
From: [email-masked] (Lars Wirzenius)
Date: 21 Jul 1993 21:54:37 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

[Proof that the LDP *is* doing something. More manuals to be released
soon. Film at 11. --mdw]

I have uploaded version ALPHA 1 of my Linux System Adminstrator's
Guide to a few ftp sites.  If all goes as I hope, they will be
available in (at least):

	ftp site	directory

	nic.funet.fi	/pub/OS/Linux/doc/doc-project
	sunsite.unc.edu	/pub/Linux/doc

Note: I have just uploaded them, so they aren't available yet.  Please
wait until the administrator's move them to their proper places.

(I had some trouble uploading to tsx-11.mit.edu, so it isn't there at
the moment, but I hope someone can upload it there for me.)

The files are:

	sag-alpha-1.README	a README	
	sag-alpha-1.tar.gz	the LaTeX sources
	sag-alpha-1.ps.gz	Postscript (for A4, possibly works
				with letter size)
	sag-alpha-1.dvi.gz	a DVI file

I have some hopes that other formats will follow, most importantly
ASCII.  I don't have the possiblity to do it myself at this time (lack
of tools and lack of time to install tools), so I have asked some
others to do it.  They will announce if and when they get it done.

I have included the README below.

-----

This is the README for the Linux System Administrator's Guide, SAG for
short.  The SAG is written using LaTeX, but for the benefit of those
who do not have access to LaTeX, several formatted versions for
different output devices are also provided (I will provide the source,
a .dvi file, and PostScript; I hope I can get someone to do a few
other formats as well, including ASCII).

I am releasing alpha versions of the SAG for everyone to read, and
especially to comment on.  Each alpha version will contain the
chapters that are `finished' so far, and an outline / table of
contents for the rest of the manual.  By `finished', I mean that the
chapter contains at least the minimal needed information, that it is
not missing any important (as opposed to merely useful) information,
that I think it is good enough so that I won't get too many mails
about destroyed systems, and that it does not rely on information in
as yet unreleased chapters.

The alpha versions are not intended to be used for real, so don't
complain if you get in trouble because of them.  

Please send feedback to [email-masked] but don't be
alarmed if I don't answer very soon.  I will be mostly out of touch
with the net until the beginning of September.

The thing to run through LaTeX is sag.tex.  It includes the rest of
the files automatically.

If you cannot get the other formats, here's a couple of notes on how
to read the LaTeX source:

	A comment is introduced by `%' and continues to the end of a line.

	'{' and '}' are used to delimit groups (as in C, and like
	`begin' and `end' in Pascal), and parameters to commands.

	'[' and ']' are also used to delimit parameters to commands.

	A command is introduced by '\' and consists of the next word.
	A few of the important commands are \linux (which typesets
	Linux in a `nice' way); \cmd{foo}, \fn{foo}, and \man{foo}
	which typeset `foo' in a suitable way; and \chapter, \section,
	and \subsection, which start the corresponding part in the
	book (their argument is the name of the part).  You can
	probably ignore most other commands.

	If there is something else that looks funny, and doesn't make
	sense to be part of the text, you can probably ignore it.

(I'm not interested in hearing that LaTeX source code is difficult to
read.)

--
[email-masked]  (finger [email-masked])
   MS-DOS, you can't live with it, you can live without it.

-- 
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]