Subject: efax 0.2 BETA - fax send/receive program
From: [email-masked]
Date: 22 Jul 1993 20:56:50 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

I have uploaded efax version 0.2 BETA to sunsite.unc.edu.  This is a
simple program that lets you send and receive faxes using a Class 2
fax modem.  It is available at ~/pub/Linux/Incoming/efax02.tgz.  I
have appended the README file below.

-------------------------------------------------------

			  Introduction

This is the README file for the 0.2 beta release of efax.  efax
is a program to send and receive faxes using a Class 2 fax modem.

efax is a relatively small (700-line) ANSI C/POSIX program that
provides the data transport function for fax applications.  A
simple shell script is included in this distribution to provide a
a way to create, send, receive, and print faxes.

Unlike FlexFax and NetFax, efax is not a network-based
client-server system.  It does, however, provide a simple tool
that could be combined with existing network services to
implement such applications.

In addition to efax you need Ghostscript (I used version 2.5.2),
to create the fax image files and the PBMPlus utilities to
convert the received fax to a format that you can print.

The program was written & tested under Linux 0.99pl10, gcc 2.4.3
and libc 4.4.1 but should work with minor changes on any modern
UNIX system with a termios(3) serial device driver interface.

			    Manifest

The efax distribution should contain the following files:

README	 - this file
COPYING  - the GNU public licence
efax.c	 - the source code
efax.1	 - a man page for efax(1)
fax	 - a (Bourne) shell script to create, send, receive and
	   print faxes.  Requies Ghostscript and PBMPlus
	   utilities.
fax.1    - man page for fax(1)

			  Installation

You'll need an ANSI C compiler, such as gcc, to compile the code.
With gcc, do:

  gcc -O efax.c -o efax

Modify the variables at the beginning of the `fax' shell script
according to the comments. Copy the executable, script, and man
pages to appropriate directories (probably /usr/bin and
/usr/man/man1).

			   Bug Reports

This is the first release of efax and it undoubtedly has many
bugs.  Please send bug reports or suggestions (including copies
of the sesion log and details on the hardware and operating
system) to [email-masked].

-- 
Ed Casas ([email-masked])

-- 
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]