Subject: XPCE-4.5.10/SWI-Prolog-1.7.2 available
From: [email-masked] (Jan Wielemaker)
Date: 23 Jul 1993 20:39:42 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Dear Linux user,

I'm happy to announce the second release of XPCE/SWI-Prolog for Linux.

	ftp site:	swi.psy.uva.nl (145.18.114.17)
	directories: 	pub/xpce	(PostScript documentation)
			pub/xpce/linux	(Linux binaries)
			pub/linux/lib	(The libraries I used)

XPCE is a  symbolic  object-oriented   interface  toolkit  for  symbolic
programming languages.  XPCE offers a  high   level  of  abstraction for
communication with X11,  Unix  processes,   Unix  networking  facilities
(sockets) and Unix files.   XPCE's  built-in   classes  (about  150) are
mostly written in the C language.   The XPCE/Prolog interface allows the
user to create instances of these classes and manipulate instances.  The
user can also create new XPCE classes from Prolog.

XPCE's  window  related  classes  provide   various  styles  of  menu's,
primitive  graphical  objects,  compound  graphical  objects  and  Emacs
oriented programmable text manipulation windows.

The new release contains:

	* Some new functionality

	* Hopefully fewer bugs

	* Cleaned documentation for most of the graphics.
	  Documentation work is ongoing.  I hope to announce a fully
	  updated online manual and a paper manual around mid September.

	* Fixed dynamic loading of C-object files.

	* Added line-no information for Prolog predicates.

	* Linked to readline library for bash-like editing.

	* Contrib directory.  Contains only rubiks-cube now.  I received
	  a prototype for a graphical Prolog debugger.  Nice demo's are
	  welcome!

	* `Kit' like structure.  XPCE itself is now delivered as a .a
	  (library) file.  SWI-Prolog and the XPCE/SWI-Prolog interface
	  is available both in source and binary format.  For the
	  Prolog sources, see swi.psy.uva.nl, pub/SWI-Prolog.

	  This allows to send fixes for *parts* rather than the whole
	  lot.  You may also change Prolog or the interface or connect
	  the XPCE library to other languages (documentation is in
	  pub/xpce/interface.ps.gz).

	* The current version is compiled using the following versions:

		- kernel:	99pl10
		- gcc:		2.4.3
		- libc/libm:	4.4
		
	  The X11, Xt, readline and termcap library used to link the
	  system are in /pub/linux/lib.

I'm not sure about the versions of the  kernel/libs you can link and run
the system with.  It definitely  does  not   run  for  kernel  <= 99pl6.
Comments   please   to   [email-masked]   or    the   mailing   list
[email-masked].

-- 
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]