Subject: [comp.os.linux.announce] Welcome to comp.os.linux.announce!
From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
Date: 23 Jul 1993 20:40:30 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.announce,news.answers,comp.answers

Archive-name: linux-faq/announce/intro
Last-modified: 26 Mar 93

WELCOME TO COMP.OS.LINUX.ANNOUNCE!

Comp.os.linux.announce (which has a nifty acronym: "c.o.l.a") is a 
newsgroup for announcements, important information, and software patches
for the Linux operating system, a free UNIX clone for i386 and i486 based 
machines.  This group is a moderated companion to comp.os.linux, which is 
the group for discussions, questions, and general information about Linux. 

This group has been created to provide a separate group in which to crosspost
important information about Linux, since these postings are often lost in
the heavy bandwidth of comp.os.linux. In general, postings to c.o.l.a
will not be crossposted to comp.os.linux, excepting "very important"
announcements such as new kernel releases.

The moderators for this group are myself (Matt Welsh, [email-masked]) and
Lars Wirzenius ([email-masked]). We will be sharing the moderator
duty, and backing each other up to make sure that postings to this group will
be approved as soon as possible after they're submitted.

Submissions to this group should be mailed to the address:
	[email-masked]

If you have any problems or questions about c.o.l.a, please send mail to the
moderators at
	[email-masked]
Or simply mail us directly. This is not a request address for mailing list
subscription; see below.

A separate posting details the guidelines for submitting to this group.
I plan to approve just about anything that's posted to this group, except for
questions or discussions about Linux. So, please, post away.  :)

There are also archives of comp.os.linux.announce available at a number of
Linux FTP sites: check sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs.

There is a mailing list gateway of the comp.os.linux.announce newsgroup;
to join, send mail to
	[email-masked]
With the line
	X-Mn-Admin: join ANNOUNCE
at the top of the body (not in the subject). Approved postings to c.o.l.a
will automatically be mailed to this mailing list channel.

Matt Welsh, comp.os.linux.announce moderator

-- 
Matt Welsh, [email-masked]
"On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog."