Subject: ANNOUNCE: dbmalloc 1.14
From: [email-masked] (Harald Dunkel)
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1993 15:33:41 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Hello, Linuxers.

You can find the sources of Conor P. Cahill's debugging malloc 
library (Version 1.14) patched for Linux 0.99.5 and libc 4.3 in 

	/incoming		at	tsx-11.mit.edu 
and	/pub/OS/Linux/incoming	at	nic.funet.fi

now. It would be very nice if you distribute it over the net. Here 
is what Conor writes about it (I've taken that from his README):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This package is a collection of routines which are a drop-in replacement
for the malloc(3), memory(3), string(3), and bstring(3) library functions.
These replacement modules are different from the original modules in that
they provide a full set of debugging features which detect malloc 
memory overruns and other types of misuse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've made some short tests running the included test programs, but
I don't know if I've found and fixed all pitfalls. At least one 
pitfall still exists (a problem with exit() and _exit() which may
result in an infinite loop), but I will write a message obout it in 
comp.os.linux.

There are also debugging functions for XWindow applications (XtMalloc, 
XtFree, etc.). Take a look at README.Linux about that.

I have checked the X specific stuff by debugging xdtm-2.5. Xdtm is full 
of bugs, and a lot of them have nothing to do with malloc(). It should 
never be distributed. Please don't ask me to send you a debugged version 
of it. PERHAPS I will put a fixed version on the net.

Dbmalloc is very usefull. After a very short time you may wonder how ever 
you came along without it.

Have fun.

Harald Dunkel
[email-masked]

-- 
Harald Dunkel             EMail: [email-masked]
Mauerstr. 56              Phone: +49 241 21 0 71
5100 Aachen, Germany