Subject: future gzip/SLS incompatibility
From: [email-masked] (Greg Naber)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1993 17:25:12 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

I thought I would point out that future versions of SLS will not work
with the new version of gzip, without some added work by the install
script, or a complete rework on the names used, i.e. <name>.tpz

gzip is now set to ignore extensions of .tpz! It will not undo a
package with the extension of .tpz!

Here is part of the ChangeLog for gzip-1.0.5:

Thu Mar 4 14:13:34 1993  Jean-loup Gailly  ([email-masked])

  * version 1.0.5
  For VMS, restore the file type for variable record format, otherwise
  extract in fixed length format (not perfect, but better than
  forcing all files to be in stream_LF format).
  Use "-z" suffix for VMS.
  Use only .z, .*-z, .tgz, .taz as valid gzip extensions; update
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    zforce accordingly.

---
  S'Qually Holler's BBS Renton, Wa.  1-206-235-0270 USR DS V32b V42b 14.4
       1:343/[email-masked]     [email-masked]
                      [email-masked]
                         [email-masked]