Subject: Repost: [ANNOUNCE] PINE 3.05 is available
From: [email-masked] (Birko Bergt)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1993 16:58:16 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.announce

Hello Linuxer,
	
	I have >RE<uploaded PINE 3.05 ELECTRONIC MAIL program compiled for Linux
	to sunsite.unc.edu and tsx-11.mit.edu as pine-3.05.{src,bin}.tar.Z.

	In germany Linux PINE is available at nix7.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
	(134.109.240.17) via anon-ftp in /pub/src and /pub/bin.

	Vince Skahan wrote:

>  the binaries and sources on sunsite appear to not be .tar.Z
>  and are not extractable by anything I can do.  Did you maybe
>  upload binaries without setting ftp to 'binary'?
>  
>  I can't find them at all on tsx-11 and can't connect at all
>  to the .de host...

	The used packer is !!! GNU-ZIP !!!

	I'll also upload PINE to

	- tsx-11.mit.edu
	- sunsite.unc.edu
	- fgb1.fgb.mw.tu-muenchen.de
	- ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
	- nic.funet.fi
	
	The contents of the binary distribution:

	drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 Mar  9 13:19 1993 ./usr/
	drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 Mar  9 13:21 1993 ./usr/bin/
	-rwxr-xr-x root/root    119812 Mar  9 13:21 1993 ./usr/bin/pico
	-rwxr-xr-x root/root    734212 Mar  9 13:21 1993 ./usr/bin/pine
	drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 Mar  9 13:21 1993 ./usr/etc/
	-rwxr-xr-x root/root    263172 Mar  9 13:21 1993 ./usr/etc/mtest
	-rwxr-xr-x root/root    246788 Mar  9 13:21 1993 ./usr/etc/imapd
	drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 Mar  9 13:19 1993 ./usr/man/
	drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 Mar  9 13:20 1993 ./usr/man/man1/
	-rw-r--r-- root/root      4171 Mar  9 13:20 1993 ./usr/man/man1/pico.1
	-rw-r--r-- root/root      5853 Mar  9 13:20 1993 ./usr/man/man1/pine.1
	drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 Mar  9 13:20 1993 ./usr/man/man8/
	-rw-r--r-- root/root       977 Mar  9 13:20 1993 ./usr/man/man8/imapd.8
	-rw-r--r-- root/root      1629 Mar  9 13:27 1993 ./.pinerc
	-rw-r--r-- root/root      3437 Mar  9 14:22 1993 ./README.pine-3.05

	Known bug: My Hostid is hard coded in source and binary.
		There is no hostid() function in Linux's (GNU) libc.

	What follows is the brochure file for version 3.05:
--

                         PINE ELECTRONIC MAIL

BACKGROUND

Pine is a mailer designed specifically for ease-of-use with the novice
computer user in mind. It is based on Internet mail protocols (e.g.
RFC-822, SMTP, IMAP, and MIME) and currently runs on a variety of UNIX
platforms.

The guiding principles for achieving ease-of-use in Pine were: careful
limitation of features, one-character mnemonic commands, always-present
command menus, immediate user feedback, and high tolerance for user
mistakes. It is intended that Pine can be learned by exploration rather
than reading manuals.  Feedback from the University of Washington
community and a growing number of Internet sites has been encouraging.
  
A stand-alone version of Pico, Pine's message composition editor, is also
available. It is a very simple and easy to use text editor with text
justification and a spelling checker.

FEATURES

   - Mail index showing a message summary which includes the status, 
     sender, size, date and subject of messages.
 
   - View and process mail with the following commands:  forward, reply, 
     save, export, print, delete, capture address and search.

   - Address book for saving long complex addresses and personal 
     distribution lists under a nickname. 

   - Multiple folders and folder management screen for filing messages.

   - Message composer with easy-to-use editor and spelling checker.
     The message composer also assists entering and formatting
     addresses and provides direct access to the address book.

   - Online help specific to each screen and context.

   - Supports access to remote mail repositories via the IMAP2 protocol
     defined in RFC-1176.
     
   - Support for multipart mail conforming to proposed MIME (RFC-1341)
     Internet standard. This allows attachments to mail messages such 
     as graphices (GIF, TIFF...), sounds, and other files such as spread
     sheets and binary files. 

   - Work is well underway to port Pine to MS-DOS.  (Stanford's Mailstrom is
     recommended for Macs).

AVAILABILITY

Pine and Pico, including source code, are freely available via anonymous
FTP from ftp.cac.washington.edu on the Internet. Other provisions for
distribution have not been made. From the Internet, you may try out Pine
and leave comments by telneting to "demo.cac.washington.edu" and logging
in as "pinedemo". To join the Pine mailing list for announcements send a
request to "[email-masked]".

Pine is very portable and runs on a variety of UNIX machines including
DECstations, NeXT's, Sequents, and Suns. Pine was originally based on Elm,
but it has evolved much since, ("Pine Is No-longer Elm").

For further information send e-mail to [email-masked]. Pine is
the work of Mike Seibel, Mark Crispin, and Laurence Lundblade at the
University of Washington Office of Computing and Communications.

92.7.13

--
-- 
| Birko Bergt			Technical University of Chemnitz/Zwickau |
| [email-masked]          Postbox 964, DO-9010 Chemnitz |
| Phone: (priv.)+49/371/254***, (job)+49/371/668379, (fax)+49/371/668629 |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+

-- 
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]