Subject: linux.words.tar.z, flex238B.*, utila*.*, utilb*.*, utile*.*
From: [email-masked] (Rik Faith)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1993 16:58:33 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

ANNOUNCE: UPLOADS, Sun Mar 14 09:32:35 1993

Bug reports and comments to: [email-masked]

As of Sun Mar 14 09:28:19 1993.  Unless otherwise noted, all binaries will
untar into /usr/bin: cd /; gtar zpxvf filename.taz

linux.words.tar.z

    gzip'd tar file containing a freely distributable /usr/dict/words file
    for Linux.  Based on Tanenbaum's minix.dict file and Jorge Stolfi's
    DEC-SRC-92-04-05 freely distributable word lists.  Instructions to
    build linux.words from the original words lists is included.  This file
    is perfect for use with the look(1) program in utila.

flex238B.taz
flex238B.Notes

    Changes from 'A': Man page is now correct.

    This is GNU flex 2.3.7.  Contains flex, libfl.a, and flex.skel.  Has
    man pages.

utila-1.5.src.tar.Z
utila15.Notes
utila15.taz

    Changes from 1.4: look and logger added.

    This is a random collection of NET-2 and other source code, including:
    banner, cal, chsh (which should be setuid to root, but isn't), clear,
    col, colcrt, colrm, column, hexdump, last, logger, look, mesg, od,
    passwd (which is setuid to root), reset, script, strings, ul, uuencode,
    uudecode, and whereis.  EVERYTHING HAS A MAN PAGE!

utilb-1.3.src.tar.Z
utilb13.Notes
utilb13.taz

    Changes from 1.2: wall and write are now the BSD versions; man page fixes.

    This is a random collection of mostly custom Linux code, which, in
    general, should be in the /bin directory, including: ed, hostname,
    kill, ldd, login, more, setterm, wall, write.  EVERYTHING HAS A MAN
    PAGE!

    **********************************************************************

    BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DON'T HAVE libc.so.4.3.2 INSTALLED!  You may not
    be able to log in!  Check to be sure that the programs work in some
    directory OTHER THAN /bin, *BEFORE* YOU INSTALL THEM.  ESPECIALLY
    LOGIN!

    **********************************************************************

utile-1.4.src.tar.Z
utile14.Notes
utile14.taz

    Changes from 1.3: New port of BSD syslogd!
                      Latest mount stuff; mkswap fix; man page fixes
                      mkfs supports 30 character minixfs with 0.99.7

    This is a random collection of mostly custom Linux code, which, in
    general, should be in the /etc directory, including: agetty, clock,
    ctrlaltdel, doshell, fastboot, fasthalt, fdformat, fdisk, frag, fsck,
    halt, kbdrate, makehole, mkfs, mkswap, mount, ramsize, reboot,
    rdev,setfdprm, setserial, shutdown, simpleinit, swapdev, swapon,
    swapoff, sync, syslogd, umount, update, and vidmode.  EVERYTHING HAS A
    MAN PAGE!  Binaries in /etc.

    Most people will have copies of these programs in /bin, and may want to
    keep them there, instead of moving them to /etc (where many people,
    myself and a bunch of manuals included, believe section 8 utilities
    belong).  If you want to keep things in /bin, however, please get the
    source distribution and fix the paths in pathnames.h.  Otherwise,
    things like shutdown won't work correctly.

    **********************************************************************

    BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DON'T HAVE libc.so.4.3.2 INSTALLED!  You may not
    be able to log in!  Check to be sure that the programs work in some
    directory OTHER THAN /etc, *BEFORE* YOU INSTALL THEM.  ESPECIALLY
    AGETTY, SIMPLEINIT, MOUNT, SWAPON, and SYNC!

    **********************************************************************

WHAT YOU GET WITH THESE BINARIES:

*.Notes files contain instructions for installing the binary release, and
include step by step instruction of how I built the binary release from
source.  This single file contains the name of the ftp site where I got the
package, how I compiled it, and what patches were needed, if any.  IF YOU
WANT TO COMPILE THE PACKAGE YOURSELF, THIS FILE IS ALL YOU NEED (after you
get the original source distribution, of course).  If any patches were
necessary, the *.Notes file can be fed directly to patch(1), without any
editing.

*.taz files are compressed tar archives contain binaries, man pages and/or
info pages (if available), COPYING, README, etc., files from the original
source distribution, and my:

*.Notes file, described above
*.Dist  file, which was used to built the *.taz file
*.Unins file, which will uninstall most of the binary release (it leaves
              /usr/src/* intact)

The *.taz format files are compatible with the SLS systinstall program,
which can be used to install and uninstall the binary distributions.

If you don't use the SLS program, the *.taz files are ready to 'gtar zpxvf'
into /.

-- 
Rik Faith: [email-masked]
What I tell you three times is true.  --Dodgson

-- 
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]