Subject: Secure Boot (default floppy) patch for 0.99pl7
From: [email-masked] (Ian Jackson)
Date: 23 Mar 1993 15:28:39 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

I have uploaded my Secure boot (default floppy type) patch for Linux
0.99pl7 to sunsite.unc.edu and nic.funet.fi.

Here is an extract from the description:

    Much of the previous functionality (or rather lack of same) has been
    removed as LILO (with version 0.9) now supports flexible enough
    password protection to have made it unnecessary.

    This patch is for you if all of the following are true:

      - You want other people to be able to boot your machine but not gain
        access to your files without taking the cover off the computer.

      - You have a password-protected BIOS. It can protect the information
        in the CMOS from change without preventing normal booting.

      - Your CMOS doesn't have a boot order change option OR you boot from
        (SCSI) controller which ignores the boot order setting in your CMOS.

      - You don't run DOS. That is, you don't have a passwordless DOS
        image in your LILO boot prompt.

      - You don't run any other single-user operating systems, or any
        insecure multi-user ones. If, for example, you also have a 386BSD
        option at boot-time, anybody who can become root on 386BSD will be
        able to crack into your Linux setup as well.

      - You have at least version 0.9 of LILO.

Here is my PGP2 detached signature of the version I've uploaded. It is
a signature of the uncompressed file, ie of `defaultfloppy-0.99pl7':
--
Ian Jackson  <[email-masked]> (non urgent email only - see below)
home: 35 Molewood Close, Cambridge, CB4 3SR, England; phone: +44 223 327029
work & urgent email: <[email-masked]> Olivetti Research Ltd; +44 223 343398
PGP2 public key on request; fingerprint = 5906F687 BD03ACAD 0D8E602E FCF37657

-- 
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]