Subject: Man system in perl
From: [email-masked] (James H. Cloos Jr.)
Date: 23 Mar 1993 15:29:27 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

I uploaded my port of Tom Christiansen <[email-masked]>'s perl
version of man to sunsite's Incoming dir.

I've set it up to use gzip, rather than compress, and to look for perl
in /usr/bin/perl.

Note that you have to run makewhatis(8) everytime you add a man page
to any of your man trees, in order for man(1) to find it.  An ndbm
style database is kept of all of the pages, and is used by the suite.
A standard whatis file is also written, for the benefit of other
programs, such as appropos(1).

If you do not have $MANPATH defined, man(1) will search through your
$PATH, and for every entry that ends in .../bin, .../man, if extant,
will be used as the base of a man tree.  Eg., if you have
/usr/pbmplus/bin in $PATH, and the pbm man pages in
/usr/pbm/man/man[135]/*, man(1) will find those man pages dynamically.

(Yes, that last sentence is a hint.  I've got to translate the scripts
to perl, first, though, for those who do not have t?csh(1).)

-JimC

-- 
James H. Cloos, Jr.	include <std/qotd>
[email-masked]	include <std/disclaimers.h>
[email-masked] 	Snail:  POBox 1111, Amherst, NY 14226-1111
[email-masked] 	Phone:  +1 716 673-1250 (voice only, for now)

-- 
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]