Subject: LSM (Linux Software Map) Status Report: May 5, 1993
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Kopmanis)
Date: 6 May 1993 00:00:20 +0300
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Here's a quick summary of what's been going on with the LSM since my last
posting.  Unfortunatly, my news feed went down for about a week while all
of this was happening, so I must apologize for the age of the "news".

After my request for volunteers to help with the LSM project, I recieved
responses from 59 individuals, 56 of whom could lend immediate help.  The
outpouring of volunteerism was very encouraging to say the least.

On the weekend of April 25/26, I worked to get the database as current as
possible.  On that weekend, the final tally of Linux software registered in
the LSM was 887 packages.  These packages were mostly on sunsite or tsx-11,
but a few were based elsewhere.  After many subsequent merges and LOTS of
editing and cleaning-up, lists of entries were generated and sent out to
each of the 56 volunteers.  Each volunteer recieved a list of approximately
15-20 packages that were mostly randomly picked.  Some personal preferences
were worked in, but my methods weren't good enough to get good matches to
please everybody.  On that Sunday night at 11:36pm, all 56 were mailed out.

To date, I have received 4 lists back, as well as many suggestions for
changes and improvments.  These are early, as the due date is set at May
15th, after I get back from Minneapolis for job-related training. (Yeah, I
have a real job, not just "LSM-dude")

Once all or most entries are recieved, they will be merged into the master
database and edited as needed for consistancy.  From the entries I've
received so far, I'm encouraged about the quality and consistancy of the
work done.  Sometime at the end of May or beginning of June, I expect to
put out a first release of the LSM.  It will be released at
sunsite.unc.edu.

I'd like to take a second to thank all of those who volunteered for
stepping out and doing something for the Linux community as a whole.  I'm
happy to be working with such a fine crowd of people.  Without your
willingness to help out, the LSM would not be nearly as advanced as it is
already, and certainly nowhere near where it's anticipated to be on May
15th.  Thank you all.  Now, BACK TO WORK!!!  :)

-Jeff.  :)
-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff Kopmanis                                          [email-masked]
(313) 769-6911 (home)                                 (313) 393-4784 (work)