Subject: QWK packager
From: Greg Naber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1993 14:35:44 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

I have placed on sunsite in incoming (should be moved to ~system/BBS soon)
uqwk1.4.tar.Z 

This compliments the atp* series of qwk readers already available for Linux.

here is the README file from it:

UQWK

Copyright 1993, steve belczyk

Uqwk is a program which collects all a user's unread mail or news
and formats it into something called a "QWK" packet, which is then
downloaded.  Mail and News can then be read offline, saving phone
charges.  QWK readers exist for almost every machine.

Uqwk also accepts reply packets, so replies can be mailed (if your
mailer understands "mail -s"), or posted (if you have a B-news type
of inews that understands -n and -t), depending whether the message
is marked private (email) or public (news).

Uqwk also supports a small offline command language, so the contents
of the user's .newsrc file can be viewed and manipulated offline.

INSTALLATION

1.  Create a directory for the uqwk source code.

	mkdir /usr/local/src/uqwk

2.  Move the uqwk tar file to that directory.

	mv uqwk.tar.Z /usr/local/src/uqwk

3.  Change to that directory, and unpack the tar file.

	cd /usr/local/src/uqwk; zcat uqwk.tar | tar xvf -

4.  Compile the software.

	make

    If you're going to be getting news from a server using NNTP,
    you must use the NNTP version of the Makefile:

	make -f Makefile.nntp

    If this doesn't work you may have to twiddle with the Makefile,
    or, heaven forbid, the actual source code.

5.  Move the binary and man pages to some public place.

	mv uqwk /usr/local/bin
	mv uqwk.man /usr/man/man1/uqwk.1
	mv uqwk.cat /usr/man/cat1/uqwk.1

6.  The QWK specification allows for the name, location, etc., of
    the BBS from which messages are being downloaded.  You should
    configure this information.  The best way is probably to use
    environment variables.  If you are using a Bourne shell, you
    should add something like this to /etc/profile or .profile:

        UQ_BBS_NAME="My Super BBS"
	UQ_BBS_CITY="Somewhere, PA"
	UQ_BBS_PHONE="+1 215 555 1212"
	UQ_BBS_SYSOP="Joe Shmoe"
	UQ_BBS_ID="0,MYBBS"
	export UQ_BBS_NAME UQ_BBS_CITY UQ_BBS_PHONE
	export UQ_BBS_SYSOP UQ_BBS_ID

    If you use a C type shell, try something like this in your
    .cshrc or .login:

        setenv UQ_BBS_NAME "My Super BBS"
	setenv UQ_BBS_CITY "Somewhere, PA"
	setenv UQ_BBS_PHONE "+1 215 555 1212"
	setenv UQ_BBS_SYSOP "Joe Shmoe"
	setenv UQ_BBS_ID "0,MYBBS"

    In both cases, the last entry, the "BBS ID", is the most important.
    It always consists of an integer, a comma, and a string less than
    nine characters, with no intervening spaces.  The string will be
    used to identify reply packets.

7.  Now you can try it.  Log in as a normal user who has some mail,
    and issue:

	uqwk +r

    (The "+r" stops uqwk from clearing the user's mail spool file.)
    This should create three new files in the current directory named
    messages.dat, control.dat, and personal.ndx.  These are the files
    which the offline reader will need.  (Not all readers need the
    *.ndx files.  Also, some readers expect these files to have been
    archived using an archiver like zip, lharc, or arj.  You may need
    to obtain Unix versions of these archivers.)

8.  Now it would be a good idea to read the man page.

Please inform me of any problems you run into:

    steve belczyk
    [email-masked]
    [email-masked]
    BBS: +1 508 664 0149

---
               S'Qually Holler's BBS  +1-206-235-0270
                   Another WaffleIron on Linux!
         For anonymous uucp access, login: nuucp word: nuucp
           uucp squally!/sc2/bbs/filelist.z  filelist.z