Subject: MIDI Software Available
From: Michael Caro <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 May 1993 22:09:04 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce

Hello Linux Musicians:
  Mike Durian's rather excellent MIDI package is now available.  It is a
extension of tcl, and is called tclm.  There is also a drum sequencer package
that works with tclm available as an example of what you can do with tclm.

  Xdrum is a fabulous drum sequencer that can allow you to create your own
drum patterns, and save them in **STANDARD MIDI FILE**  format.  Xdrum has
a graphical interface and uses X. It is very easy to use, and has a lot of
useful features

 Also there are sample programs that allow you to dissasemble and reassemble
SMF's (standard midi files), a simple but powerful sequencing language that
will allow you to merge midi sequences and a program to convert type 1 SMF's
to type 0.

  There is at present no direct support for the MPU-401 under Linux, but that
is currently in the works. (Any one want to get involved?).  But the tclm and
xdrum packages compile and run fine on my humble linux box.

  All the sources are now available via ftp.  Here's what to do.

   1) get and compile tcl
      tcl is on harbor.ecn.purdue.edu   (128.46.154.76) /pub/tcl
      The diffs are on sunsite.unc.edu (152.2.22.81) in /pub/Linux/Incoming

   2) get and compile tclm
      ftp.sterling.com (192.124.9.1) /usenet/comp.sources.misc/packages/tclm

   3) get and compile xdrum
      ftp.sterling.com (192.124.9.1) /usenet/comp.sources.misc/packages/xdrum

 The author (Mike Durian) is extremely knowledgeable about MIDI, and can help
you if you have any questions regarding tclm.
                                               Michael Caro.

-- 
Matt Welsh, [email-masked]
"That kernel's got a mean streak A MILE WIDE!!" --Chip Salzenberg